Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-09-2016, 05:40 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ideas for stamping while in bed recovering?

So bad week for me. I fell yesterday in my kitchen (dumb accident) and broke my foot and ankle on one foot and sprained and bruised the other leg. I'm not necessarily bed ridden but I won't be moving around a lot for awhile except for the basics. I'm already sick of tv and reading and am staring at my stamp stuff a few feet away. Do you think I could actually do some card making from the bed? I worry I wouldn't have the right pressure to get a good image. Any ideas about what I could use or do? I have a bed tray but it didn't work...was too high to get a good angle. So if you have any creative suggestions, I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2016, 05:52 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you recover quickly. I was going to suggest a bed tray, but read that it's not working out for you. What about a clipboard? If you use outline images, you could have someone stamp a few images for you and you could clip them onto the board and color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2016, 06:07 PM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm so sorry!! Wishing you a speedy recovery!!!

My suggestion is like Ellibelle, use a clipboard or a hardback book. I'd also design a card and just replicate it a bunch of times so you don't have to think too much and can spend time relaxing. (if you do holiday cards, now's a good time....)

Feel better,
Rina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2016, 06:55 PM   #4  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had foot surgery back in March and was able to get to a card kits assembled and little by little put together an album by mysistersscrapper. You do need a hard surface. If you can get someone to bring your stuff to a hard table or counter... do it. The suggestions above work too. Good luck and wishing you a quick recovery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2016, 07:11 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 671 Likes on 422 Posts

I know you could color for sure on a lap board.
if you have a little pile of things already stamped that could just be colored?

When I first started coloring on one on the sofa ( because, hubs watches tv at night) I colored with pencils and melted the pigments with a colorless blender from Prisma ( they have these open stock at Micheals if you can send someone to the store for you) and this is a pretty ( not much mess ) kind of a thing.

( look at it this way too, you would be making your self a stash that will make a HUGE difference during timed challenges ( like VSN) or the upcoming DTGD that has multiple challenges listed daily... ???

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2016, 03:45 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks everyone. I think focusing on coloring is probably a good idea. I am trying a big old cutting board right now which is working pretty well. It's the wooden type one of my boys made me in shop years ago. I never used it for cutting things as he didn't quite finish it...shop class was not his best class! So far it makes a nice surface to stamp on..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2016, 05:55 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 298 Likes on 115 Posts

This might be a good time to play with doodling or freehand lettering or something like that, too. Use Lydia's (UnderstandBlue) approach of "creating for the trash" to take the pressure off... ;)

Hope you recover quickly!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2016, 06:57 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,095 Likes on 839 Posts

Colouring definitely, I did that while I was in bed for a few days over Christmas. Luckily I had some pre-stamped images from last summer holidays that I had never coloured.We're just back from holidays - this year I brought a colouring-book that was a birthday gift. I found it great - and also felt that it was a really good way of practising colouring skills (ha ha) and shading. Maybe a friend could buy you one of those?

Wishing you a good and speedy recovery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2016, 10:17 AM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 743 Likes on 362 Posts

Oh crackers! I am sorry to hear it. Hope you mend soon! Falling is a big concern around here too. Tv is bad isnt it? Netflix-I watched a lot of old British murder mysteries Midsomer Murders. They kill off a lot of people per show LOL. It's on tv but this way you see it in sequence which isnt necessary, but is better and more than the 15 shows they keep repeating for 3 months. There's like 60 I think in that one alone. PM me if you want more series ideas. If you can stream them to your tv/laptop, it is more expensive but there isnt any getting up to put discs in, you can watch all you want, and it wont be forever.

I dont know what your space situation is like, but if you have a spare bedside table that is very sturdy, maybe you could have it moved to the side of the bed? Not right up by you b/c you have to be able to get out of bed to eat and such but maybe where your knees are in the bed when you are lying down? Then you ask someone to gather in a box or basket for you what you want for a couple of days to work with. You also might be able to use it as a support getting out of bed. Or maybe for you it would be better to be close at hand and you skootch down to get out bed. You know what is comfortable for you.

If not, do you have a stamping pad? I find you dont have to press as hard to get a good image if you have one. A mouse pad could do it too.

The Christmas card idea is excellent! Get a jump on that!

Just dont fall asleep with an open stamp pad/marker in the bed! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2016, 05:32 PM   #10  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

I had major surgery several years ago, and realized I couldn't really stamp.
But, back then I had a lot of wood block sets, so I spent my time mounting them. When I was a little better, I actually used them.
I was on pain killers, and I just couldn't stay awake long enough to actually create something. Kudos to you for having so much energy!
Feel better!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2016, 05:19 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks again everyone, great ideas. The pain meds are for sure an issue as far as staying awake. I normally get hyper at first and have all kinds of ideas, then fall asleep before getting to them. I can move around on my crutches but it's hard in my tiny house with lots of stairs. I am not comfortable sitting up... Too much pressure I guess but I have a nice double lounger that could hold some supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2016, 06:49 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

As well as trying to craft, can I suggest spending time with You Tube? I have been recovering from major surgery, and back a few months ago, when it was as much as I could manage to get myself downstairs, I found craft videos/mixed media/art journal stuff on You Tube not only occupied me, they filled my head with a lot of great ideas. A notebook to hand is useful here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2016, 07:15 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Sending you healing hugs and wishing you a speedy recovery.

I would suggest the colour route and if you have a laptop or a hand held devise checking out youtube and blogs and learning lots of new techniques.

While the temptation is 'get on with things' you need to focus on getting better and that includes resting !
Reply With Quote Likes