Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-08-2014, 11:25 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need an Intervention

I have been on a buying rampage this week. I bought 4 sets of spellbinders dies, several stamp sets, and a small copic haul. I just purchased a Cinch. Countless scouting trips to Michaels, Joanns, and Hobby Lobby. They are all in the same shopping area.

I think it's because I am excited that I start my second job tomorrow. All my goodies will have to wait to be played with. No time when I start my second job.

I need to stop the spending:-(. Everyone is telling me to buy it buy it.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2014, 11:46 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Well done on your haul! and good luck in the new job!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2014, 11:51 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I’m most excited about the dies. I’ve had my grand caliber for several months and never used it because I don’t particularly like the dies that came with the machine. I tried out my ciaos and I bought a blending set of spectrum noirs and surprisingly I love them.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2014, 12:18 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Have fun with your goodies and good luck with your job.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2014, 01:08 PM   #5  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,553 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

How exciting on all counts!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2014, 01:15 PM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,927 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Don't count on me to stop you! I want to go along shopping!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2014, 02:36 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to play your momma here and say "if they all told you to jump off a bridge would you do it??" So... even if everyone is telling you to buy it, you don't have to

That being said, you already have, so you better ship it to me and I will take care of it for you ;)

On the serious side though, it's good to decide on what you permit yourself to indulge in and then stick to it. What's bought is bought and if you really really want to return some, you probably still can. If you choose to keep your stash, decide now that you are done spending until you have made enough cards/projects to justify it. It may mean a spending freeze for months. There was a time I only purchased adhesive and white cardstock for at least 2 years.

It can be done Good luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2014, 05:05 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardmaker2View Post
I'm going to play your momma here and say "if they all told you to jump off a bridge would you do it??" So... even if everyone is telling you to buy it, you don't have to

That being said, you already have, so you better ship it to me and I will take care of it for you ;)

On the serious side though, it's good to decide on what you permit yourself to indulge in and then stick to it. What's bought is bought and if you really really want to return some, you probably still can. If you choose to keep your stash, decide now that you are done spending until you have made enough cards/projects to justify it. It may mean a spending freeze for months. There was a time I only purchased adhesive and white cardstock for at least 2 years.

It can be done Good luck

Thanks so much! Since I've I only really got into crafting this year I still don't know what things I want and will use. I really want to build up a stash of embellishments. I will one day. I just need to purchase slow!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2014, 05:25 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh how fun. Enjoy you new goodies.

Marcie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2014, 09:03 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry! If you are looking for an intervention this is the wrong place. We are enablers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2014, 11:05 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Leona- Congratulations on your second job. Don't feel guilty for going on a spending spree. We all doing it on something or another. It's not like you do it every week. Spending spree's are a good thing. When I used to teach frugality I would tell my students sprees are a good thing because they keep you frugal.

Last month in one week I bought over $200 on dolls. I have never ever done that. I felt so guilty and so happy at the same time. I don't feel guilty any more I love my new dolls.

Enjoy your new gorgeous things. I hope you find some time to play. Sneak in a bit every day even if it's only five minutes. You deserve it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2014, 05:38 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

You want to build up your embellishment stash, oh yes! And it can be done on a budget if you are willing to not have everything all at once.

Decide what you really enjoy the most and start there. I have a passion for pearls of all colours. Well! You don't have to go buy countless packages of different colours and sizes, that will set you back a month or 2 worth of coffee in the morning! I went to Michael's and bought a good size package of varying sizes of pearls. Then I bought a package of 36 Bic markers in all colours. You can colour pearls! For my purposes of cardmaking, they work very well

If you like buttons or ribbon, visit your grandma's button box or a fabric store. You can purchase ribbon soooo much cheaper by the yard and get a fair choice of colours.

I have been know to repurpose ribbon from a bath gift set or basket received as a gift. I have been known to reuse little pretties left on the table at a wedding, cast off from wedding favours by people who didn't realize the potential ;)

I encourage you to look outside the box and see what can be found either inexpensively or for free
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2014, 05:58 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am retired; so need to watch my spending more then you. Don't have credit cards; so that helps. Now, the next step; I have implemented; is to only watch for special sales. I don't owe people any business; if they aren't willing to offer me some specials. there are enough places that will offer that. Usually, in a craft store, I start by looking at the sales; and maybe my coupon item.

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2014, 06:33 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Enabling is what we do best❤️ Enjoy your haul!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2014, 08:38 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

not sure this is the right place for an intervention!!! enjoy and best of luck on the job
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2014, 09:57 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Congratulations and good luck on your new job!

I'll play the bad one here and ask you to stop and think it over If you have the receipts then return as much stuff as you can. I say that because with a new job you wouldn't have time to play with your goodies, by the time you're able to do that you would have forgotten about them or feel that they're "old" and that you need "new" stuff. Before you buy anything think if you would be able to use it in the next 1 month, if the answer is no then don't buy it.

That said, we all should have some pocket money that we can spend as we like; then too I like to make sure that I don't regret spending my pocket money later

You can see I'm a very frugal and careful spender
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by smritiView Post
Congratulations and good luck on your new job!

I'll play the bad one here and ask you to stop and think it over If you have the receipts then return as much stuff as you can. I say that because with a new job you wouldn't have time to play with your goodies, by the time you're able to do that you would have forgotten about them or feel that they're "old" and that you need "new" stuff. Before you buy anything think if you would be able to use it in the next 1 month, if the answer is no then don't buy it.

That said, we all should have some pocket money that we can spend as we like; then too I like to make sure that I don't regret spending my pocket money later

You can see I'm a very frugal and careful spender
I had this thought about the cinch. I only plan to work two jobs the max of 3 months. I probably won't have much time to craft during since it's two full time jobs. This maybe a little crazy. When considering a second job it was the fact that I wanted to buy more copics that helped me decide.

My small stash of copics and spectrum noirs made me want to collect most of them. I know I don't need them all I just want the pinks, purples, and blues.

I have stopped buying. Work starts tonight
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2014, 01:30 PM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Good luck with your new jobs!

Here's a thought.....if you want to stop buying stamping stuff, just start Christmas shopping! I have for our grandchildren and that means no stamping stuff for Grammy for a while - lol!

Enjoy your new goodies when you have the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2014, 09:04 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow two full time jobs...bless your heart! I think we have all had those times where we do a lot of spending. I know I am guilty....but I do not feel bad about wanting new goodies. Cant wait to see what you color with your lovely new copics. I just got a shipment of 50 more for my personal stash. Hope I get time to color soon!
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2014, 02:55 AM   #20  
Mad Swapper

That is the only kind of shopping I like! And there goes your 1st. pay check! Anyways good luck with your new job and enjoy your new goodies when you get the chance!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2014, 06:34 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 296 Likes on 115 Posts

Don't feel guilty - it takes the fun out of it! I've purchased things all year that I know I won't be using for a while. We're in the process of relocating and all of my stuff is packed up, but I just got my most recent Stampin'Up! order at our temporary address, lol! I was in a hostess club, so I followed through on my commitment, even though I knew I would be downsizing and moving. I also bought things that had been on my wish list for some time when they were on a good sale. Just because I'm not in that "creative space" right this minute doesn't mean I shouldn't have new things to anticipate using! Same for you, I'm thinkin'!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2014, 09:29 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

Sue, the hostess (and especially your demo) appreciated that you stayed with us beyond your move. Glad to hear that the order did arrive. Did it get there before you and Greg? Either way, you made good time and I'm glad to know you got there safely.

[Sorry for the thread hijack.]

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2014, 01:44 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 296 Likes on 115 Posts

The order got here the same day we did (yesterday)! Pretty quick shipping, there, I must say

We would have made MUCH better time if the entire highway system wasn't under construction! No, I'm not exaggerating - I'll bet we never went longer than 45 minutes before we were encountering another round of orange cones and single-file traffic! Somewhat aggravating to go 40 mph when you should be flying along at 80...

Still - I'm VERY excited about new toys if/when we find a place to land for at least a bit! So again, Leona, stop with the guilt and ENJOY!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2014, 02:33 PM   #24  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 737 Likes on 358 Posts

Well look at it this way-you wont have time to spend like that again now! lol

I am not going to tell you not to buy...I'm going to suggest you follow in the tracks of the vets (I'm not one yet)...get classics first...things you use forever, esp with dies. Shop deep sales. Lots of them around most of the time. Set a budget. Create an excel sheet wishlist. You may find (I often do) that stuff that sits on my wishlist long enough...I lose interest in. It saves me from a lot of impulse buys (not all lol). This way you stretch your dollar and get more for it!

After that...enjoy your goodies! Make the time to use them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2014, 05:56 PM   #25  
Crimping Master

I so understand this... One thing I did do that saved me a lot of money and anguish was establish a savings account for craft supplies that I put money into every month. And I can spend it how ever I want, so there is no guilt. But I can't spend any other income on crafts - unless I find a 50% off sale for basic card stock with envelopes (my card foundations). This keeps it in check.

I also keep all my recpts and don't open stuff until I actually go to use it. Now I'm in the habit of returning about 40% of what I purchase at stores. I realize I get into the spending moment while at the store, but I don't really need the whole range of colors offered.

The worst place for me to shop is Amazon. I over buy on the internet often, so I've learned to put stuff in my basket then walk away from it. For the most part, I save it for later till I eventually delete most of it.

Frankly, I'm happy to know there are so many people with my affliction. Maybe we should start a support group... :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2014, 05:26 AM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

Janet1000 and wavejumper, great ideas to share! I do the same thing with stuff I want to buy (minus the spread sheet - I'm not that organized). I just write down what I think I need and then make myself wait 2 weeks to see if I still "need" it. I, also, save receipts until I open something to actually use. There is too much stuff in my craft area that I thought I "needed" and never once used. I don't do that anymore.

I also find that the things I "need" generally do dwindle during the 2 week time period.

Yep, this affliction runs rampant. I don't think I want a support group though. I like to be enabled in my shopping habits - lol!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2014, 12:08 PM   #27  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 737 Likes on 358 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet1000View Post
I so understand this... One thing I did do that saved me a lot of money and anguish was establish a savings account for craft supplies that I put money into every month. And I can spend it how ever I want, so there is no guilt. But I can't spend any other income on crafts - unless I find a 50% off sale for basic card stock with envelopes (my card foundations). This keeps it in check.

I also keep all my recpts and don't open stuff until I actually go to use it. Now I'm in the habit of returning about 40% of what I purchase at stores. I realize I get into the spending moment while at the store, but I don't really need the whole range of colors offered.

The worst place for me to shop is Amazon. I over buy on the internet often, so I've learned to put stuff in my basket then walk away from it. For the most part, I save it for later till I eventually delete most of it.

Frankly, I'm happy to know there are so many people with my affliction. Maybe we should start a support group... :-)
Janet-
The leave it in the basket is actually a good strategy. There are a lot of companies that know when we do this...and will send you a coupon to "nudge" you into buying that cart of things.

If you even look at a site a few times but buy nothing, this may also trigger a coupon email. I dont know if having stuff in a site wishlist will do it too.

On one hand it's creepy they know this about us but on the other hand, this is one case when it works in our favor. How do I know this? My GF used to work in the dept for national firms that did that kind of thing.

The one flaw in the excel idea is if you start wishlists in the individual websites (easier to buy when ready) it gets confusing with the excel sheet-keeping it updated. So now I only put stuff in the excel when the site does not allow wishlists.

Online can definitely be dangerous. I am not likely to return when I buy online. I like the idea of the account. Really helps to keep a lid on it.
Reply With Quote Likes