Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-06-2008, 08:43 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I love it! *sarcasm*

So I'm on this whole kick of promoting nice comments when you favorite someone. If I'm going to "borrow" their artwork and ideas for inspiration, I should take 30 seconds to leave a nice comment. It doesn't kill me, right?

Well now when I'm uploading my cards in the gallery, I'm puting a lil tag saying, "I support nice comments when favoriting."

Let's just say....it hasn't caught on.

LOL

It doesn't bother me THAT much, but I just think people appreciate it, and I know I certainly do.

This sounds crazy, but you can be having an absolutely horrible day, and one little nice comment can really turn things around.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 08:47 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yeah I know what you mean, comments are nice.

View my BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 08:48 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

You know what this is starting to get really old, really fast. Yes it is nice getting comments, but some of us just doesn't have the time to leave comments at every card uploaded or marked as favorite.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 08:54 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by serialpurrsView Post
You know what this is starting to get really old, really fast. Yes it is nice getting comments, but some of us just doesn't have the time to leave comments at every card uploaded or marked as favorite.
If this post is getting old really fast, you can simply look over it. Sorry to offend you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 08:56 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Not trying to be mean or anything to the OP but I have to agree with you. This is one of the reasons (among many ) that I have a tiny gallery but have been a member of SCS for years! Everytime I turn around someone else feels cheated because you don't leave a comment or get upset because you don't leave info with the cards you upload. It just doesn't seem worth it if you are going to be criticized. JMTC
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 09:01 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by theresalairdView Post
Not trying to be mean or anything to the OP but I have to agree with you. This is one of the reasons (among many ) that I have a tiny gallery but have been a member of SCS for years! Everytime I turn around someone else feels cheated because you don't leave a comment or get upset because you don't leave info with the cards you upload. It just doesn't seem worth it if you are going to be criticized. JMTC
I'm not upset. I'm just saying for me personaly, I think it's a nice thing to do. Sometimes we all just need a small dose of positivity to help out our day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 09:07 AM   #7  
neglecting the kids and housework

Quote:

Yikes! But you have time to leave this nice little gem?

I don't find it outlandish to expect when someone clicks the favorite button to let me know what they liked. I mean throw me a bone and let me know what I'm doing that inspires you. I've never started a thread about it because it's not that important to me but surely you can see that some people expect that as a common courtesy because they do comment when adding to their favorites.

MaiTi vent away that's what this place is about sometimes:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 09:11 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamperView Post
Yikes! But you have time to leave this nice little gem?

I don't find it outlandish to expect when someone clicks the favorite button to let me know what they liked. I mean throw me a bone and let me know what I'm doing that inspires you. I've never started a thread about it because it's not that important to me but surely you can see that some people expect that as a common courtesy because they do comment when adding to their favorites.

MaiTi vent away that's what this place is about sometimes:-D
Well I too used to hardly ever comment when favoriting a card. I never thought twice about it. Well....my job started getting really stressful...er, it's always been stressful, but it finally caught up with me...I started doing a lot of reading on how to manage stress and all that jazz. I then decided I'm going to leave a comment when I decide to favorite a card. This person took the time to create something that I really admire, so it's the least I can do to show them that I appreciate it.

It takes less than 30 seconds for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 09:16 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

I can see both sides - I think what serialpurrs was trying to convey was that yes, it's nice & courteous to leave comments, but that this topic has been posted over & over in this forum, somewhat beaten to death, like almost every week now. So maybe she was just tired of reading about it, which I can certainly understand.

I try my best to always leaves lot of nice comments, as I LOVE looking at the gallery, and it certainly makes my day when I receive a comment on mine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 09:24 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

I didn't realize this topic has been beaten to death. Sorry for ticking anyone off!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 09:25 AM   #11  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I always think about my mom in this situation, because she favorites without commenting all the time.

She doesn't have a gallery, she doesn't visit the forums, she only goes straight to the gallery for the set she's using, prints ideas and she's done. She doesn't like to be on the computer for long, and doesn't care to really participate in the community, kwim?

I've mentioned to her about leaving comments and she didn't realize that she even could, or that comments would be welcome from her. She said "They don't even know me!" She's never even left a comment on my gallery.

When you see favorites without comments, I think it's often from people like her. They don't know or care about the politics, they just want to grab a few ideas and get back to their cardmaking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 09:26 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

I will be honest to say that I only leave a comment if no one else has or just a few people have. I figure if 6-10 people have already left comments I don't need to as well. I get a huge kick out of seeing how many people have favorited something. It is almost a higher honor to know that they plan on CAS'ing me at somepoint.

I do like seeing a comment or two though. It can really make your day. Ok off to comment on some cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 09:40 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: In a van down by the river..the Minnesota river in Le Sueur, MN

One thing I do for sure since I started uploading cards is commenting on the cards of the people who comment me. it is a nice jumping off point, I only get a few comments per card and I am sure for the people who get 100 comments that might be impossible!! But that is what I do and in the process might see some inspiration I would not of seen before! I really am not offended by people favoriting my cards, I can't see who does it so I have no idea if they left a comment or not and do not mind at all. A favorite on a card of mine is compliment enough!!! I participate in the challenges and everyone is really supportive of everyone's designs and most of the people who also participate are really great for leaving nice comments!! Hope you can find stress release in other ways MaiTi. I will head over and make sure to leave ya a nice comment.

Additionally I think you should ever feel bad for starting a forum post no matter how often this subject has been spoken of, not everyone has been able to be on SCS for a long time and not everyone knows all the subjects talked about. I know you can search for old posts and such, but sometimes you just want some kind of validation and starting a post can give you that.

have a great day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 09:42 AM   #14  
neglecting the kids and housework

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaiTiView Post
I didn't realize this topic has been beaten to death. Sorry for ticking anyone off!
See that's just it. In order for someone to come in here and tell you this has been hashed and rehashed they had to click on the thread link, open it, read it, click on reply, type a reply, click on submit. Instead they could have just rolled their eyes, shaken their head and moved on.

Obviously I'm having a grumpy morning and itching for a fight. Hope it passes before DH gets home:-D I'm out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 09:45 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

I wonder if there'd be a way to request from Daven and the powers-that-be to have a "Post and Favorite" button added to the gallery, so you can do both in one action. The only reason I sometimes favorite without commenting is that I like to be able to get back to my search or whichever gallery I was in, and once you've favorited and commented, you have to hit the "Back" button several times. Usually I'm looking via search rather than via gallery, so I have to do that rather than just click on the next card in the gallery.

My little gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 09:45 AM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by momofour26View Post
One thing I do for sure since I started uploading cards is commenting on the cards of the people who comment me. it is a nice jumping off point, I only get a few comments per card and I am sure for the people who get 100 comments that might be impossible!! But that is what I do and in the process might see some inspiration I would not of seen before! I really am not offended by people favoriting my cards, I can't see who does it so I have no idea if they left a comment or not and do not mind at all. A favorite on a card of mine is compliment enough!!! I
Good idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 09:46 AM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyoprincesView Post
I wonder if there'd be a way to request from Daven and the powers-that-be to have a "Post and Favorite" button added to the gallery, so you can do both in one action. The only reason I sometimes favorite without commenting is that I like to be able to get back to my search or whichever gallery I was in, and once you've favorited and commented, you have to hit the "Back" button several times. Usually I'm looking via search rather than via gallery, so I have to do that rather than just click on the next card in the gallery.
When I'm looking through the gallery, I right click "open in new tab". That way I can have it one tab over, do my thing, and then close out the tab without leaving my gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 10:19 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

When I'm looking through the gallery, I right click "open in new tab". That way I can have it one tab over, do my thing, and then close out the tab without leaving my gallery.
So simple, now I'm embarrassed I didn't think of it! That's a great way to do it.

My little gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 10:22 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

You can hold down the 'ctrl' key and click on the card to open in a new window.

View my BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 10:29 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

Quote:

This is exactly why I don't ALWAYS comment. I have to click back like a thousand times, then it finally goes through. Most of the time I'mat work and just hoping on for a few seconds. So sometimes it's either or, comment or favorite. Although I appreciate all of my comments, it also makes me feel good when people favorite my things because that means they like it enough to want easy access to it. LOL! Favoriting for me, means that I will Def. be casing that sooner or later. I hope that everyone has a great day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 11:27 AM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

I usually comment if I add a card to my faves. Sometimes I have an image that I got in a swap and I don't have any idea how to color it, so I go to the gallery and search to find a few examples of that stamp. In those cases, I don't tend to leave a comment.

Someone mentioned that she considers being favorited as a complement. I do too. I love getting comments, but I really enjoy seeing that someone has added my card into their faves.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 11:38 AM   #22  
Mad Swapper

I think the OP was just giving a reminder that people appreciate comments and that a simple comment might really brighten someone's day. I try to leave comments often, but I don't always have the time to leave as many as I would like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 11:41 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

I agree! I will always leave a comment if I favorite something! Also I will PM if I upload a card that I cased. I think others really appreciate it and I know I do!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 11:45 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrina+2View Post
This is exactly why I don't ALWAYS comment. I have to click back like a thousand times, then it finally goes through. Most of the time I'mat work and just hoping on for a few seconds. So sometimes it's either or, comment or favorite. Although I appreciate all of my comments, it also makes me feel good when people favorite my things because that means they like it enough to want easy access to it. LOL! Favoriting for me, means that I will Def. be casing that sooner or later. I hope that everyone has a great day!
Try using the little down arrow *next* to the back button. A list of recently visited pages will be there, and you can just choose from there.

I like to open the card in another window when I get a chance to visit the gallery and leave comments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 11:57 AM   #25  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie leeView Post
I always think about my mom in this situation, because she favorites without commenting all the time.

She doesn't have a gallery, she doesn't visit the forums, she only goes straight to the gallery for the set she's using, prints ideas and she's done. She doesn't like to be on the computer for long, and doesn't care to really participate in the community, kwim?

I've mentioned to her about leaving comments and she didn't realize that she even could, or that comments would be welcome from her. She said "They don't even know me!" She's never even left a comment on my gallery.

When you see favorites without comments, I think it's often from people like her. They don't know or care about the politics, they just want to grab a few ideas and get back to their cardmaking.
OMG, Krystie I feel bad-going to your gallery now:rolleyes: My Mom just looks, doesn't even favorite
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 12:00 PM   #26  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by diane617View Post
OMG, Krystie I feel bad-going to your gallery now:rolleyes: My Mom just looks, doesn't even favorite
Ha! It's ok, she calls me and tells me which ones she likes. She's also quick to tell me which ones are ugly! lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 12:01 PM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixleyView Post
I think the OP was just giving a reminder that people appreciate comments and that a simple comment might really brighten someone's day. I try to leave comments often, but I don't always have the time to leave as many as I would like.
I hear ya & agree.

I also agree though that this topic is getting old & a bit annoying to discuss at nauseum. There shouldn't be pressure to comment on a card that you favorite - or even just view. I love that people share their work with all of us & I do appreciate it - but honestly, I don't have time to comment on every card I favorite (or view). I consider favoriting a form of a compliment.

Can we please give this topic a rest? Please!?! There's never going to be a consensus about it, so can't we all agree to agree or agree to disagree?

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 12:13 PM   #28  

Another way to make people day is to mention them in the weekly Favorites thread. Every Sunday morning Smitty 2004 lists her faves and then others add theirs. If you've favorited something because it's outstanding-share it with the rest of us-maybe we didn't happen to see that gem and it surely makes you and the original artist feel good!
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 12:14 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by SavvyKatView Post
I agree! I will always leave a comment if I favorite something! Also I will PM if I upload a card that I cased. I think others really appreciate it and I know I do!
I've only cased and uploaded once, but i also pmed the original artist. i think she appreciated it, and more than that i really wanted to send her the pm to let her know how beautiful her work is! i also wrote who the artist was in the card description.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 01:20 PM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

I've read some of the other threads about people not commenting and have been trying to do better in that area myself.

I also enjoy reading peoples comments but I sometimes wonder why..... that when someone asks a question to the card maker in the comments section, more times than not the cardmarker doesn't answer them. I find this just as much a downer.

Me, who has never even put a card in my gallery but I'm getting close to getting up the nerve.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 01:36 PM   #31  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 116 Likes on 97 Posts

Quote:

So I'm on this whole kick of promoting nice comments when you favorite someone. If I'm going to "borrow" their artwork and ideas for inspiration, I should take 30 seconds to leave a nice comment. It doesn't kill me, right?

Well now when I'm uploading my cards in the gallery, I'm puting a lil tag saying, "I support nice comments when favoriting."

Let's just say....it hasn't caught on.

LOL

It doesn't bother me THAT much, but I just think people appreciate it, and I know I certainly do.

This sounds crazy, but you can be having an absolutely horrible day, and one little nice comment can really turn things around.
I think it's great that you decided to do this.

But - based on your reaction, you were hoping for more. You didn't just decide to comment on every card YOU favorited, you were hoping for reciprocation.

So of course you're disappointed.

My advice to anyone - comment because you love to, when you want to.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 01:46 PM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

I wonder if there could be a seperate forum for "favoriting and comments" for these posts to go in.

That way it is more visible how many other threads there are like this and then the people who want the comments can find eachother and start a comment club or something.

I know a comment is nice but I also think this topic shouldn't have to be brought up so often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 01:55 PM   #33  

Quote:

Originally Posted by piedpipurrView Post
I've read some of the other threads about people not commenting and have been trying to do better in that area myself.

I also enjoy reading peoples comments but I sometimes wonder why..... that when someone asks a question to the card maker in the comments section, more times than not the cardmarker doesn't answer them. I find this just as much a downer.

Me, who has never even put a card in my gallery but I'm getting close to getting up the nerve.
Soo what are you waiting for? upload those pieces of art girl!
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 02:34 PM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by piedpipurrView Post

I've left questions in the comments of cards and have always been PMed the answer :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 02:45 PM   #35  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

This is one good idea...I would have to agree...leaving comments...I LOVE doing it and would leave more comments BUT commenting is a long process...not just typing in the comment but waiting for it to load then going to the image again and then back to where you were in the gallery....and although some may get upset at my post that I again bring up the issue of "enough time" when I am here typing a comment...time is valuable and if the commenting could be easier that would be great....Some nights I sit down at the puter and spend over anhour commenting...and only get 30 comments out...an hour is a good portion of my free time...

I think the comment and favorite button would be great but would like to still have the option of just commenting as I dont want to put every card that I comment on in my favorites.

Stamp S'More

Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 02:56 PM   #36  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by diane617View Post
Another way to make people day is to mention them in the weekly Favorites thread. Every Sunday morning Smitty 2004 lists her faves and then others add theirs. If you've favorited something because it's outstanding-share it with the rest of us-maybe we didn't happen to see that gem and it surely makes you and the original artist feel good!
I LOVE that thread...it is the first place I go on Sunday morning...it has even started to beat at the ever so loved classified ads that I have gone to first thing on Sunday morning for years now!

I also saw a thread one week that was about posting your own favorite card. I think it would be fabulous to have that one be a weekly thread as well. Then folks could post a link to their most favorite card that they have made that week...or someone elses card that they found great. I love threads like that because I miss a lot of great stuff during the week while I am fulfilling my duties as wife, mom and full-time employee.

Back to a relevant point on the OP. Persoanlly I have always been happy to see that people are "viewing" my creation....that is the number I look at...and I only look at this number for the purpose of seeing if I am on target to making things that catch people's eyes....I want the things that I make to be appealling to others. And sometimes I have noticed that the "numbers" are all a matter of when you post and a few other factors...but I am kinda analytical about that stuff. For me it is an added "that a girl" to see a number next to the "favorited".

Stamp S'More

Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 03:39 PM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

here's me being clueless. . .but how do you know if someone has favorited one of your cards?????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 03:45 PM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

i don't want to favourite every card i comment on.. MY fav gallery is reserved for 2 categories:

- WOW cards.. like, OMG that's amazing
- stamp sets i own and need inspiration...

i will comment on cards to be nice, or to say GOOD JOB, but i don't necessarily want that card in my favs... my two cents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 03:46 PM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lauraloolooView Post
here's me being clueless. . .but how do you know if someone has favorited one of your cards?????
open one of your cards. underneath views it says how many people have favourited it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 03:49 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

thanks I've totally never noticed that!!!
Reply With Quote Likes