Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-12-2009, 03:54 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I have 11,000 cards in my favorites.

Well, maybe close. Do you print your favorites out for inspiration? How is the best way to do this?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 05:14 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a ton!!!! Holy cow. I've never printed mine out, I just save them to look at. Especially if I'm having a "less than creative" day. I'll find one of my favorites and get some inspiration, either from stamp sets or colors or layout. It helps usually to spark my creativity!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 06:17 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Not really that many, just trying to get attention! Too many to print, or is it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 06:39 PM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That is WAY TOO MANY TO PRINT!!! I print some of mine - but mostly I just look at them!!!!!!!!!!! But I don't have nearly as many as you do!

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 06:56 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

My favorites file is pretty big, too, and like Rebecca, whenever I am in a creative drought, I'll rummage thru until something hits my fancy, I'll bring it up on my laptop and put it in my stamp room where I CAN'T see it from my table. That way, I have the idea, but I have to rely on my own interpretation from my memory to execute it. I'll go peek at it from time to time if I need help. I've made some pretty nice cards this way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 07:09 PM   #6  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Wow, I have 5449, so I have a long way to go to catch up with you.
When I first started looking at SCS, I would print cards that I liked. Of course, that uses up a lot of printer ink. Our family computer wasn't even on the same floor of the house as where I stamped.
Now I have a laptop, which I can set up near where I am stamping, so I don't print anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 09:38 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 92 Likes on 76 Posts

11,000:o
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

I have 1,370 and I am not near done yet. I am going through the galleries of all the sets I have and choosing faves to lift. It is helping me to decide what sets to get rid of.

I save my faves into a word file by stamp name and I will print all my faves for whatever set I am working on at a given time. I eventually want an idea binder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 05:15 AM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollyfanView Post
I have 1,370 and I am not near done yet. I am going through the galleries of all the sets I have and choosing faves to lift. It is helping me to decide what sets to get rid of.

I save my faves into a word file by stamp name and I will print all my faves for whatever set I am working on at a given time. I eventually want an idea binder.
Neat idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 02:18 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
When I first started looking at SCS, I would print cards that I liked. Of course, that uses up a lot of printer ink. Our family computer wasn't even on the same floor of the house as where I stamped.
LOL! This would be me. Hit print. Run upstairs. Run downstairs. Hit print. Run...

Thanks for the great visual and you go girl with your laptop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 03:36 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by edie3View Post
Well, maybe close. Do you print your favorites out for inspiration? How is the best way to do this?
It is hard not to build up a huge list of favourites. To make it easier, and you're ready to start something new ... try looking through the favourites and pick out one you really want to try. Put the link into an email for yourself as reference and reminder. Keep going back to it if you need clues.

Post your finished card in your own gallery so we can all save to our favourites.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 03:46 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by edie3View Post
Not really that many, just trying to get attention! Too many to print, or is it?
:shock: I don't even have what anyone would call a fraction of that # in my favorites.

I love looking at them, but, unless I wanted to precisely duplicate them (entirely, or just one aspect), I wouldn't be inclined to print any of them out just due to the printer ink it would consume. Lolly!

;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

thanks for all the great ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2009, 06:15 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Anyone got ideas of how to remove some favourites? The remove button is so very slow - would take hours to remove as many as I want to.

Also, if you have heaps of favourites, ie like the 5,000 above!, how do you find them or do you just go through a few pages until you find something you like? Help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2009, 06:20 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by valminView Post
Anyone got ideas of how to remove some favourites? The remove button is so very slow - would take hours to remove as many as I want to.

Also, if you have heaps of favourites, ie like the 5,000 above!, how do you find them or do you just go through a few pages until you find something you like? Help!
This is what works quickest for me when I decide to "remove" some from my favourites. I go into the picture itself and "uncheck" the heart (which will be red when it is favourited) and then hit the back key ... it just seems to work so much faster than using the actual "remove" button. I hope that some day they add a box where we can just click it and it will delete a whole bunch at once. I know that Daven has said before (or maybe it was Jenn who said it) that this is on their list to do, but is (obviously) a low priority.
Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2009, 07:04 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

[QUOTE=
Also, if you have heaps of favourites, ie like the 5,000 above!, how do you find them or do you just go through a few pages until you find something you like? Help![/QUOTE]

I have 4,461 in my Favorites and, you're absolutely right, it is almost pointless because I know I'm really only going to look at the last 100--?? Maybe!

And, yet, if I could sort My Favorites gallery into my own different categories and so that I could search just within a particular category, I would absolutely love it!! It would make things SO MUCH EASIER to find what I'm looking for!

There are times I Favorite things--not necessarily because it's the most awesome card in the world but also because I love the sketch or I love the image, or maybe there's a particular technique that I thought was particularly interested in trying and Favoriting it is a reminder to me. Unfortunately, because I can't make my own categories and sort My Favorites into particular categories, I end up losing the point of why I favorited a card and can no longer find it easily. KWIM?

Last edited by Paper Junky; 12-31-2009 at 07:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2009, 07:12 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Default Favourites

Thanks ladies, this works well - though for heaven's sake!!

I've got to the point where I don't even bother looking in my favourites - I only have time to look at a few pages at a time, certainly not the 196 I have when I'm looking for inspiration. Where are all these favourites stored? - surely it is clogging up some system?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2009, 07:41 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Ok.. i started to get scared when you said your number! I was thinking "Oh God, I hope I don't have that many!!!!"

hehehehe... I have 336. BUT.. Last year sometime I deleted 3-4 pages (yes, one-by-one) of old cards that are not my taste anymore. By looking at what I've favorited I've really come to understand what my style is. It's fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2009, 09:36 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was so totally going to be a thread I started sometime soon! You beat me to it! Ok, I thought I had a lot for the 16 months I've been on SCS; I have a little over 900, but I began saving photos to print before the favorites heart button began too so in actuality I have more. Nowhere near 11,000 though! And I'm getting more particular now that I'm discovering what I like and don't like to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2009, 10:03 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't have many in my favourites because I generally download stuff I like into a folder on my computer. I can then break that folder down into sub folders by style or sketch or whatever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2009, 10:21 PM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

I have printed out a few but found it much to better to just review my favorites on the computer instead.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 04:01 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 521 Likes on 234 Posts

I agree that the huge favorites file is a problem. I built mine up, changed my style, deleted most of them, and started adding what I really liked...again. Now it is as big as before, maybe bigger. I have almost 4000.

I have been thinking about the quandry of not really looking at what I have in there because there's too many pages to look through. Sometimes I go to the oldest pages and delete what I wouldn't really use anymore.

Here's my thoughts that are running around in my head.
1. Start an idea book. Much of my faves is made up of sketches that I like. Start with one page per sketch. Just draw them out.
2. Print the pictures in my faves that go with those sketches as small "thumbnails" to paste on the pages above. I find that I don't case cards exactly, but get ideas from sketches and layouts. These would just be reminders of why I liked the sketch!
3. Then delete these from my favorites. That would reduce numbers significantly!

Something I have already done is this:
On my laptop in iPhoto I have a photo library of card ideas. Each stamp set that I have has an album and I have quite a few great ideas in there. iPhoto allows you to put keywords on each photo, so I can search my library that way as well. Everything is well categorized and sorted in there. And I can add and delete very easily. When I add something that is in my faves folder to this file, then I delete it from my SCS faves folder.

Hope that gives you some ideas.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 05:08 AM   #23  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paper JunkyView Post
I have 4,461 in my Favorites and, you're absolutely right, it is almost pointless because I know I'm really only going to look at the last 100--?? Maybe!

And, yet, if I could sort My Favorites gallery into my own different categories and so that I could search just within a particular category, I would absolutely love it!! It would make things SO MUCH EASIER to find what I'm looking for!

There are times I Favorite things--not necessarily because it's the most awesome card in the world but also because I love the sketch or I love the image, or maybe there's a particular technique that I thought was particularly interested in trying and Favoriting it is a reminder to me. Unfortunately, because I can't make my own categories and sort My Favorites into particular categories, I end up losing the point of why I favorited a card and can no longer find it easily. KWIM?
This won'te categorize it for you, but if you do a comment when ou favorite something, then you can just search for your comment to find out why you saved it. ie: I love the layout that you used here! OR These colors really make the card! OR I loe bsolutely everything about your card! Can't wait to CASE it!
Then, when you do the search, you know wy you saved it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 05:42 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,076 Likes on 826 Posts

I haven't read all the answers, so maybe somebody has already said this. There's a download facility when you're in your favourites, which downloads
them to your PC in a ZIP file. You could then turn it into a slideshow and use that as a screen saver! Looking at them in a graphics viewer like Irfanview or whatever you use would also be a way of weeding out ones that now you can't remember why you put them there in the first place.
I don't know if that amount would crash the download, though!! I only have about 200 in mine, and I go through from time to time and remove some...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 06:01 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I haven't read all the answers, so maybe somebody has already said this. There's a download facility when you're in your favourites, which downloads
them to your PC in a ZIP file. You could then turn it into a slideshow and use that as a screen saver! Looking at them in a graphics viewer like Irfanview or whatever you use would also be a way of weeding out ones that now you can't remember why you put them there in the first place.
I don't know if that amount would crash the download, though!! I only have about 200 in mine, and I go through from time to time and remove some...
I was going to suggest the screen saver, too. I think this would really inspire, especially if you can see your computer from your work area.

The sketch book with thumbnails is a great idea. I often copy eight to twelve images to a page of a word or publisher doc. You can get bunches that way if you do have some you decide to print. But I can see that the sketch book makes sense. Something drew you to those images.

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes