Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-30-2011, 04:46 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am new to naked chipboard. What do you do with it?

I am beginning to use chipboard shapes and such and would love ideas and directions on what to do with it.

For example: I have snowflakes. If I paint them when and how do I apply dry glitter? What about stickles?

Other suggestions or ideas?

Thanks for the help.
Candie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 08:26 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

I'd paint your snowflakes white and then add glitter. I paint mine. Would love to hear more ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 08:33 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

I have naked chipboard and have just started using it on some projects. I get stuck on what to do with it too and would love to see some links to tutorials.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 08:38 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think I like the "idea" of chipboard, rather than the reality, lol. I have it, and look at embellishments that people have used it for on their cards. but I have yet to do much with it. I just bought that cute little picket fence die from Papertrey, and I think chipboard will make wonderful fences, so that may get me going on it.

I just got a Cinch, and I know I can make book covers with it, but haven't done that yet either.

I'd like to hear other ideas, too.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2011, 06:17 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like to use chipboard by painting it first usually. It dries fast. Once painted, you can distress ink it up, or sand it, or add stickles, or even cover it with coordinating papers. You wouldn't have to paint it if you cover with DP. I've painted and sanded it before and it looks terrific. I've used glimmer mists on them too. Covered a few beach pieces with sand once and that was cool. I find chipboard so strong it's not very flexible. If I need flexibility, I use Tim Holtz grungeboard. It takes on ink super fast and seems easier to work with. Some chipboard pieces though are just supper fun to work with. Let your imagination fly!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2011, 06:28 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jill with a GView Post
I like to use chipboard by painting it first usually. It dries fast. Once painted, you can distress ink it up, or sand it, or add stickles, or even cover it with coordinating papers. You wouldn't have to paint it if you cover with DP. I've painted and sanded it before and it looks terrific. I've used glimmer mists on them too. Covered a few beach pieces with sand once and that was cool. I find chipboard so strong it's not very flexible. If I need flexibility, I use Tim Holtz grungeboard. It takes on ink super fast and seems easier to work with. Some chipboard pieces though are just supper fun to work with. Let your imagination fly!
These are great ideas!! Thanks so much for sharing. I have become addicted to the Ranger Ink and Jenni Bowlin paint dabbers the last few days. I tried the snow cap and love it. I will have to try that grungeboard.

Candie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2011, 06:49 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 603 Likes on 246 Posts

I love naked chipboard and use acres of it in my scrapbooks. I usually color it with craft inks (pigment ink) or cover it with patterned paper. Sometimes I let it be naked with some stamping or ribbons or metal embellishments. You can color it with craft ink, let dry then decorate with rub ons, too. Have fun! The possibilities are endless.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2011, 09:02 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

Could you point us to some sample using the chipboard. I, too, am chipboard challenged.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2011, 09:16 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer Grungeboard and grungepaper to chip board but have used chipboard for years on cards. I have inked it, distressed it, painted it, covered it with designer paper. I have stamped and embossed on it. Someday I will get a gallery going but right now I just don't have the time.

Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2011, 09:28 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

For example: I have snowflakes. If I paint them when and how do I apply dry glitter?
After the paint has dried you need to add some sort of adhesive like Tombro 2-way glue or for something like stripes you can use Sticky Strip then add the dry glitter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2011, 10:02 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I prefer grungeboard now. But have a ton of chipboard and paint it often with distress crackle paint. I love the look. I ink it and use acrylic paints too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2011, 02:16 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,074 Likes on 824 Posts

I've done as above - painted, covered with paper. Another option is to cover with Versamark or pigment ink and then emboss, which is what I did with the lock and key on this card: Anniversary card by Cook22 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers and also here: HYCCT26 A Birdie Celebration by Cook22 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
I also like to paint, and then emboss and press a stamp (with or without ink) into the warm ep for added texture - Fantasy Bird for Stamp Muse by Cook22 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
It's also fun to stamp on painted chipboard - FTTC15 Flourished Birthday by Cook22 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

You'll find a whole array of stuff in this Chipboard gallery, some relevant and some not.
There are also a couple of tutorials in Resources:
Splitcoaststampers - Chipboard with Patterned Paper Project Tutorial by Jenn Balcer
Tutorial on Using Craft Ink, Embellishing, and Embossing to Decorate Chipboard by Jenn Balcer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2011, 08:32 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

I'm also chipboard challenged. Great ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I've done as above - painted, covered with paper. Another option is to cover with Versamark or pigment ink and then emboss, which is what I did with the lock and key on this card: Anniversary card by Cook22 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers and also here: HYCCT26 A Birdie Celebration by Cook22 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
I also like to paint, and then emboss and press a stamp (with or without ink) into the warm ep for added texture - Fantasy Bird for Stamp Muse by Cook22 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
It's also fun to stamp on painted chipboard - FTTC15 Flourished Birthday by Cook22 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

You'll find a whole array of stuff in this Chipboard gallery, some relevant and some not.
There are also a couple of tutorials in Resources:
Splitcoaststampers - Chipboard with Patterned Paper Project Tutorial by Jenn Balcer
Tutorial on Using Craft Ink, Embellishing, and Embossing to Decorate Chipboard by Jenn Balcer
Sabrina,
Thank you for all the links and info. Your cards are wonderful and I love the various techniques using chipboard.
Ellen
Reply With Quote Likes