Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-12-2006, 05:13 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to mount rubber stamp

Hi

I just received a rubber stamp that is unmounted and has no foam-just rubber. I have never had one like this and was wondering what the best way to do this is. It isn't clear so I don't know if the acrylic blocks are the way? I would love to hear what you girls have done before. Thanks!!

Marlene
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2006, 06:11 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Acrylic block.... did it say if it was EZ mount? If so, use an acrylic block.

B-

Check my blog!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2006, 06:12 PM   #3  
immzw4

I love unmounted stamps. I love acrylic blocks. You have two choices that I'm aware of to mount these stamps. You can buy the regular foam to mount on wood, or you can buy the smart cling and use the acrylic blocks.

www.Cornishheritagefarms.com sells the cling stuff very reasonably priced. I usually buy unmounted stamps by the plate (a whole sheet of them) and mount and cut them out myself.

If you like the wood mounted better - just a personal preference - you can buy the regular mounting foam and wood blocks, too.

Hope this helped!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2006, 06:28 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I found a link for you that sells this.....
http://www.scrapbook.com

Static Mount Foam 8.5 x 13
View product page
EZ Mount Foam clings to acrylic handles for stamping, to the full color indexed storage boards which are included with each set of stamps, and to the storage panels and storage folders that can be purchased separately. One side sticks permanently to your rubber stamp, the other clings temporarily to the acrylic blocks. EZ Mount mounting foam is also sold separately so that ALL of your stamps can be made into EZ Mount stamps!
Category: Tools
Theme: Universal
Brand: Sunday International
SKU: gb-suscmf
Price: $5.20
Sale: $4.89

Check my blog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2006, 07:27 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there,

I just love unmounted stamps (that's why I sell them.. LOL). I find that the quality of the rubber and if the stamp is deeply etched will guide you in the right direction. With my stamps, I recommend 2 things. Personally, I don't really like foam or ez mount as just cutting it out makes scissors sticky and double sided tape ( I recommend wondertape or the red liner tape as it is the strongest) slap on your rubber die, ink it up and stamp away! It's that simple IMHO. Now, if you feel you need a little 'give', I suggest buying a fun foam piece 8.5 * 11 (available at your local dollar or craft store), place it on your desk, place the cardstock you are stamping over it and then follow instructions to mount your stamps as above and stamp away! Last thing I recommend is Tsukineko tack and peel.. it is AWESOME. It comes in a 4*6 piece of cling. You measure your block and trace over it, cut it, peel it and stick on your block. It remains there and also has a bit of 'give'. The exposed side is tacky and you can peel your stamps on and off of it.. once the tackiness lessens, you wet the cling, let it airdry and voila! becomes tacky again! I LOVE IT.

Now if the rubber you purchased is not deeply etched (where the image is very close to the base of the rubber and not raised), then I recommend mounting.

Sorry to let this drag on
hope this helped

Emily
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2006, 11:00 PM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Hello Marlene, you've gotten lots of great advice here and there are a couple of different ways of doing the same thing. I will just list all the ways I know how to work with rubber dies with no foam.

1) mount the die onto stamping foam that has permanent adhesive on both sides and stick onto a wood block. Stamp an index image on some paper or something and stick it to the top of the wood block.

2) mount the die onto stamping foam that is permanent on one side (the side you stick the die to) and clingy on the other. Use the stamp with an acrylic handle. This kind of foam goes by a few different names; EZ Mount and Smart Cushion are a couple I know of off the top of my head.

Be forewarned that the permanent adhesive on EZ mount is pretty danged sticky, which is mostly just irritating especially when the rubber dies are already closely trimmed around the image. I mounted two closely trimmed rubber dies onto EZ Mount tonight and have a fine border of stickiness all the way around the sides of my images now.

3) put a fine coat of Alene's Tack it Over and Over glue on the back of the die and let it dry (can take an hour or a day depending on your climate). Once dry, stick it on and off your clothes or the back of your hand a few times to reduce the tack a little, and use with an acrylic handle.

4) put some double-sided poster tape on the back of the die, and stamp using an acrylic handle.

5) when dealing with a stamp image that already has some kind of permanent adhesive on the back (like the stamps SU sells, which are already mounted on foam with permanent adhesive on both sides) stick the stamp onto a sheet of Grafix vinyl cling. The larger the stamp, the more slowly and carefully you want to lay the stamp down on the cling to avoid air bubbles. Starting at a short end and working to the other end slowly seems to be the best approach. When trimming the cling around the stamp, make sure to leave a small border of cling to make it easier to peel the stamp image off the acrylic handle or your storage.

6) grab a glue stick and rub that on the back of the die just before putting the die on your acrylic handle.

7) invest in a system like HALOS (stands for "hook and loop on stamps" or something like that) where you apply strips of Velcro to the back of your dies, which stick to corresponding Velcro strips adhered into wide grooves of special acrylic handles.

leave the die be, poor thing, and coat your acrylic handle with Alene's Tack it Over and Over (and let it dry and reduce the tack a bit of course first) or poster tape. Store your dies loose in an envelope or something, and store your acrylic handle with the sticky side covered with waxed paper, plastic, etc.

Storage of your rubber dies or otherwise unmounted stamps depends on how you mount it onto the acrylic handle. For methods where you make the back of the die tacky or clingy, storing the stamps in CD cases is popular and convenient, tho it is getting less so with the popularity of slimline cases and decline of 'normal' case availability. Another storage option is to store your sticky stamps on page protectors in a binder. this is also the way I've seen HALOS stamps stored, on strips of velcro run vertically down a page protector with a sheet of cardstock in it. A third storage option I've heard of is putting your stamps on laminated cards that will stand upright in a card file or other smallish box. And I don't really know how folks who use the sticky block method, except by storing their dies in envelopes.

HTH!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2006, 11:03 PM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Oopsie. That smilie with sunglasses should be an 8 followed by a ). And I forgot to mention that some folks find the Alene's Tack it Over and Over becomes permanent if it is not unstuck often enough. I personally have not had this problem, and a lot of the other Alene's users I've read of have never had that problem either even tho they have massive numbers of stamps that don't get used too terribly often. And I should emphasise that you want Alene's Tack it Over and Over, NOT Alene's Tacky Glue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2006, 11:06 PM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Another thing I forgot to mention with the Grafix vinyl cling is if you *do* happen to get air bubbles, it's no big deal as you can just carefully cut a small slit in the vinyl over the air bubble and press it down.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2006, 09:24 AM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

bttt!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2006, 08:07 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

Default Thanks

Thank you all for the great info-I don't know for sure what I will do yet-still have to finish my Christmas cards (tomorrow-for sure) and then I will start to think a little more about it. Thanks again - the ladies here rock!!! Merry Christmas all!!

Marlene
Reply With Quote Likes