Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many are really buying the SU retiring ink refills?

I'm really torn about whether to purchase one ink refill for each of the retiring SU colors or just let them die a natural death? Should I buy just the ones I really love and invest in the paper while I can? Or buy reinkers to prolong the length of each stamp pad I originally invested in?

I really can't decide what to do?

Anyone made their final decisions as June 1 approaches?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

I ended up buying only three reinkers -- Close to Cocoa, Bordering Blue, and Lavender Lace. I had reinkers for Creamy Caramel and Going Gray. I'm going to let the others "die a natural death" (I liked your phrase!). When I started using SU about 5 years ago, I ALWAYS used Soft Subtles, now not so much. I'm tired of them. I rarely used any of my Bold Brights; some I never used at all. I'm looking forward to the new colors.

Francie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 01:20 PM   #3  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I already had reinkers in most of the colours that I use the most. I ended up buying only one other- Really Rust. Only get the reinker if you really love the colour. The reinkers seem to last almost forever, so it's a pretty good investment for the price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

I'm not buying the reinkers, but I am stocking up on the paper. I have a few favorites that are going away.
Mom's Doll Shop: www.dollsofmydreams.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 01:34 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I'm not stocking up on anything...do it with in colors and have NEVER used any of it (until now that I know which are coming back)! So I'll use my $$$$ to buy NEW stuff!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 01:44 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I chose to purchase paper only for 4 colors (Mellow Moss, Taken with Teal, Cameo Coral, Gable Green) which are retiring. That was all that I really use from all the colors that are retiring. With the introduction of new colors, I figure I will find new favorites to use.

Deb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 01:46 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

I just bought three color families of reinkers during Sale-a-bration. So now I feel compelled to stock up on paper...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 01:50 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I won't be getting any reinkers. A lot of them I had already anyway. I am going to get 4 packages of paper in retiring colors and 1 package of Bermuda Bay since it's not coming back. I'm also planning to let the retiring colors "die a natural death", I'm only buying these four colors of paper because I have either ribbon or designer paper I want to use up.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 01:59 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

This is really helpful. As silly as it is, I was becoming obsessed with the idea of reinkers for all the ink pads since I had invested so much in all of them but they have lasted over 3 years and still have much life left. That alone is a pretty good return on investment but I was all about "having it all"!

I looked and studied the colors again and found a few that I will really miss. I'll stock up on those papers and the reinkers (about six) and get ready for the new colors. Some are very close that I won't miss the really rust most likely once I see the cajun one. I will miss Cameo Coral (there really isn't anything left or coming that we know about that comes close to a coral color), Brocade Blue (I've always loved that cool wintery blue), Creamy Caramel is just an all time favorite and Apricot Appeal is a must for me.

I'm sure over time more colors will fill out the missing spots that I might find. Hearing others aren't all hung up on stocking up helps me realize my thoughts were probably just a little obsessive. (Frankly the order I had first come up with was $148 and I really don't have that to invest right now!)

Thanks, I knew cool heads would prevail. I sure want to keep some funds aside to get the new ink pads I'll be wishing for come July 1~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 02:12 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought about it, but decided not to stock up. Because I know once I run out of cards stock chances are I won't be using the ink pads either. So I am saving my $$ for the new catalog and some new colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 03:11 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

The reinkers are so inexpensive and so small to store and will prolong your stamp pad for so long that it makes sense to me to get the ones for colors you think you'll keep using. I think I got about 7 or 8.

The cardstock is a tougher question, because it costs more and takes more room to store. But I got another pack of Almost Amethyst and Brilliant Blue, because I love those colors, and there is no true blue like that for boy cards or patriotic cards (unless there's a new In Color blue, but that's a gamble).

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 03:34 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

Just Handsome Hunter and Taken with Teal. Bought reinkers, markers and some cardstock.

When the cs runs out I'll either sub a similar colour of Bazill or Coredinations cs. Or use white cs for the base, and use my inks or markers to stamp my images in colour. There's always a way.

I reality I didn't love most of the colours that retired, and I could've happily gotten rid of one or two more and brought back a few other In Colours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 03:45 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I went through the last SU color change. I had just discovered Mauve Mist and absolutely loved it. Of course I didn't think to stock up at the time, so I bought ink pads and reinkers and paper from my demonstator.
Now guess how many times I used any of that.
Never.
I also get all the "In color" paper, then I am just nervous about using it all up, so I hardly use any. I think it is some sort of disease.

I am with rollyfan. I wish the older "in colors" would have come back.
I am not going to stock up on anything. I vote for the natural death, or sell it off. Either one works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 03:51 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Evidently a LOT of people are ordering the reinkers. All of the color family sets in Classic ink are on backorder and a few of the color families in craft inks as well.

I already have them all in Classic and have 3 color families in Craft. I ordered a few of the craft colors that I like from the Bold Brights (the only family I don't have) and the rest will go when they are gone.

I did stock up on cardstock as well and will be stocking up more soon. I used a TON of Bold Brights on a Teacher Appreciation album this week and I have many more years of those to come, LOL.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 03:56 PM   #15  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

For me it is a color by color decision ... for example I love Pale Plum cardstock but use Perfect Plum or other dark ink with it so no need to get a pale plum reinker.

I might get a Summer Sun, Ruby Red and cameo Coral reinkers because that color combo is great for sunsets.

But my not-yet-started wedding album (married 20+ years but I wasn't stamping then and don't really scrap) will be lilac/amethyst so I'm stocking up on refills, cardstock, and anything else I like that has one or both of those colors in it.

I think it all depends on if you really love the color, if your inkpad is dry-ish or very juicy and whether or not you use the various techniques that need reinkers.

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 04:37 PM   #16  
Glitter Guru

I have all of the reinkers so I wont be stocking up on those. Still deciding about papers, but thinking I might just get an assorted pack of 12x12 of each family and the in colors and call it a day. I wont be using the retired colors reinkers to make any glitter oranaments anymore for sure tho! =(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 04:52 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

I am going back and forth on this. I have thought about getting rid of all the retiring colors but I have paper to match so I would have to get rid of that too and I am a paperholic. Lol.. I am torn. I don't think I will buy all the re-inkers. Just some of my favorites if I decide to keep them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 06:50 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm glad I'm not the only one who wasn't rock sure on what to do. Big changes mean some thought has to go into things. I started buying SU because of the ink/paper match that seemed like a stable commodity. I've adjusted to knowing some will no longer be available; now to decide what to insure I still have as the new colors are unleashed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #19  
Glitter Queen

Since I use the re-inkers for more than just re-inking my pads I plan on buying one more each of all the retiring colors. I already had one each of the re-inkers but I used them quite often when I am painting in images so I want to make certain I have enough on hand to last for awhile. I don't think I am going to invest in more cardstock since the ones I use the most are being kept. Not sure on the markers, more than likely I wont order extra of those.

LH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

I have always bought the reinker each time I purchased a ink pad so I have all of them already. I don't stress about the color of the ink matching the paper all the time...I just like to mix and match as I please. Sorry to see a few go though, because we get used to cataloging and sorting things based on the color families, so we will just have to get used to matching them another way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 06:10 AM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

I have zero re-inkers and plan to get three or four colors. It's so hard to decide because I may run out of paper before I need to reink...It's weird. I'm getting Almost Amethysist sp? four packs of paper and reinker, sage shadow-one pack of paper, one yo yo pack of paper, three packs of bordering blue and the reinker. It's been hard to figure out!!! I had just discovered Bordering Blue!
I've never had to reink and I've stamped for four years.

Last edited by Allistamps123; 05-03-2010 at 06:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 06:16 AM   #22  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I already have all of the reinkers, and I'm not planning on buying any more. I figure by the time I run out of my card stock I'll probably won't need to reink my ink pads again. I'd rather put my money towards some of the new colors, KWIM.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 06:48 AM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by smcdonoughView Post
I went through the last SU color change. I had just discovered Mauve Mist and absolutely loved it. Of course I didn't think to stock up at the time, so I bought ink pads and reinkers and paper from my demonstator.
Now guess how many times I used any of that.
Never.
I also get all the "In color" paper, then I am just nervous about using it all up, so I hardly use any. I think it is some sort of disease.

I am with rollyfan. I wish the older "in colors" would have come back.
I am not going to stock up on anything. I vote for the natural death, or sell it off. Either one works for me.
I am with you. I laughed at the "I think it is some sort of disease" I used to stock up on retiring items but I have never used them. I received a Big Shot as a gift, other than a few dies and I do mean a few I am on a no buying policy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 06:58 AM   #24  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not bothering to get much of anything that's retiring. Makes my life a lot simpler by not worrying about what to stock up on! I have retiring reinkers and cs enough to last me a long time and by the time I run out there will be new colors to play with and they'll have another major color change. And I can always use PTI's paper since I'm not a demo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 07:58 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

I already have all the reinkers and won't be stocking up on any paper. My logic is that I always find new things I want to fill the void of the old. I still have sheets of paper in the sampler pack from last time the colors were changed. I'm making a point of just using up what I've got
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 08:00 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I will also not be purchasing anything that is retiring. I'm SO looking forward to the new stuff!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 08:13 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

I'd already had the spots in the "old" Rich Regals and Earth Elements for a while. I had just bought (as in the previous two weeks) the Bold Bright spots. I didn't want to try to piece together what stayed vs what went, so I ended up ordering the full set of reinkers for all three. I ordered mine as soon as they announced the colour change, I was worried they would "run out", now I'm glad I did. I know they said while supplies last, does that mean the people who have them on Backorder are out of luck?

Oh and I didn't order any paper. I can find a close enough match in other lines for that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Skype™ to shellca

I'm stocking up on my favorite colors - reinkers and paper. I'm getting 2 of each. I'm just that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 11:17 AM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I already had all but one family of reinkers so I went ahead and rounded that out. Now my dilemna is around paper and the craft pads. Here's my current thinking:

Cardstock: I feel like there are a few colors that are really absent in the new colors so I think I'll get a pack of cardstock for most of these: Glorious Green (I don't see a good Christmas/St. Pat's green in the new families), Lavender Lace (purple is my fav color) and Brocade Blue (my most used lighter blue). I'm debating about Handsome Hunter since it would be the only missing jewel tone and Mellow Moss just because I really like that color. I'm also considering Real Red and Chocolate Chip craft pads. I know that I can make my own in the future but I just think they might be nice colors to have around w/o messing with that. I've been embossing more again lately.

That's my thoughts for what it's worth...

Peg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 11:25 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Honestly hearing everyone's reasons one way or another has been hugely helpful! I feel really good about my decision to allow the older colors to pass from this world and move on to ink pad heaven. I'll put a few on life support with one reinker and concentrate on what's new and coming out soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 12:05 PM   #31  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by FallnPetalView Post
Honestly hearing everyone's reasons one way or another has been hugely helpful! I feel really good about my decision to allow the older colors to pass from this world and move on to ink pad heaven. I'll put a few on life support with one reinker and concentrate on what's new and coming out soon!
Yes, you know, since we have 5 new colors (6 if you count the old Kraft which will now be called Crumb Cake and have a marker and ink pad...yea!) and we will get 5 new In Colors in July, I really think people wont miss as many of the colors as they think they will. I am just getting some assorted packs of 12x12 cardstock for scrapbooking to go with the gazillion pieces of DSP that I have...LOL

Just get a few of what you want to keep alive for a while and then when the new comes out, you will have some extra money to get all the new colors that you want! Thats what I am doing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 12:34 PM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

i'm not buying any...I'm saving up for the new stuff. I have 8 or 9 SU pads and have reinkers for all except black. Not buying any paper either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 02:26 PM   #33  
Stampin' Fool

I wanted to buy Blush Blossom paper, but it is out. I will get the reinker for that, but just for my marker and ink techniques, I don't have the pad. I already have reinkers for all my pads I have.
I decided to get a pack of paper for each color fam tho. Then when I run out, I will just switch then to the new color families. It seemed easier. I don't want to stock up on stuff I won't use, or panic about "having" to have the new colors, so I am just getting one assorted pack of each fam and continue my system I have now. When the pads I have go bad or the reinkers run out, I will switch to a new color.

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 02:56 PM   #34  
Kookie Creator

I decided to buy a reinker for each of my pads that are going disc. So I ended up ordering about 24 reinkers last month. Otherwise, I feel like I would have wasted the pad and now I know it will last "forever".

I'm not one to match my paper and ink so I'm not too worried about running out of paper. I did order a pack of ruby red and dark green to use for holiday cards and some blush blossom because there is no other color anywhere like that. Most of the paper colors I won't miss or else I can substitute something similar from Gina K or PTI if it's available.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 03:05 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

I always buy the reinker and pad at the same time..that being said..I have a few favorites that I did buy an extra reinker for...I have already stocked up on many of the retiring papers and still have more I want to get a few extra packages of...
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

I had decided to get the reinkers....even though there are colors I never use myself, my son chooses different colors, his classmates like the bright bolds and the teachers lean towards the soft subtles....figure if I have the reinkers, we can do fine!
Exploring Creativity~blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 05:05 PM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

being a demo who is attempting to be good and not a hobby demo...I'll be getting rid of all my cs, reinkers, pads, markers & crayons that retire....trouble is I'm not sure what to charge for them as a bundle?...I know I have to wait but just trying to get a fix on this now....

My customers are not being bothered by the change..they are STILL ordering items that will be retiring...lol..they just figure there will be MORE colors in July....lol..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 06:30 PM   #38  
Stampin' Fool

I bought some of the reinkers but I don't use them for the inkpads. I use them as ink to color in images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 07:38 PM   #39  
Crimping Master

I am a sucker! I tell you, I have been using SU! forever and nearly all of the colors I "use' on a regular basis are going. My demo even noticed how the colors I use so much are the ones going. I had atleast 1 re-inker on all of the colors and ordered atleast 1additional one in all of the colors and 1-3 packs of each of the papers. It was a HUGE order and I still have 3 boxes to open and unpack but I use my paper so much that I just "had to have it"!!! I know businesses have to make changes but this one has really been hard for me. $500.00 later, I still am worried that I don't have enough Brilliant Blue!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 07:52 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow, that's all I can say. I could never order $500 at a time. Hence this thread to help me work through the catastrophe of it all !
Reply With Quote Likes