Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-14-2004, 08:23 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many Christmas Cards do you give? Do you make them all?

I have pared down my list, but I'm still giving about 120 Christmas cards every year. I don't make them all - I make probably 80 of them. What about the rest of you? Do you make them all the same? (I do - for ease.) What is your Christmas card process? (I have my table covered with them for two weeks.) Do you enjoy it? (I do!)

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 08:27 AM   #2  
Cardstock Collector

Default I do

I also send about 120 cards and try to make them all. Last year was actually the first year I accomplished that. I always buy cards in after Christmas clearance to have on hand just in case.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 08:32 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I usually send about 40 and this year I plan to make them all... it's also my first year with SU!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 08:36 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I send out about 50 Christmas cards and I make them all. I also make about 15 for my elderly Aunt and I make about 20 for my Husbands customers. So that totals about 85 cards that are all handmade.

Even before I started stamping, my favorite part of Christmas was putting on the great Christmas music and writing out Christmas cards. Remembering friends and family over the holiday is a wonderful thing.

For myself I usually make just one style sometimes two. I make a different one for my Aunt because we do send to some of the same people and she likes being an individual ! My husband gets the leftovers for his customers but they are never a duplicate from the year before.

I too mass produce. Once I get the design I want then it is production time and I don't do anything else until they are done. It usually takes about two weeks (I work full time outside of the home). I'm looking forward to doing it again this year.

Stef -
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 08:44 AM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been stamping my Christmas cards since 1996! That year, I was pregnant with my second and ended up getting the stomach flu. I had chosen a design that I embossed in gold and colored in. THe coloring gave me such a headache that I only ended up making 15 and sent store bought to everybody else.

But I have managed between 30 and 40 every year since until this past year. Faced with sending to my customers as well, I decided to use sample cards and extra cards made at classes to my family and to make all the same one for my customers. Took a lot of stress off! And this year, since i have a stack of cards and samples made with sets that have retired, I will be able to recycle those too!

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 08:45 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

I probably send out about 50-60 cards each year - and then there is another 20 or so for neighbors, friends and co-workers....

This year i started early and did some Christmas card swaps - that way I culd sit down and make 10-12 at a time slowly - be more creative and then get a whole array back. Right now I have about 70 handmade holiday cards. Now my problem will be going thru and matching up the card with the person's personality....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 08:48 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

My list is about 85 or so (but will grow this year with all my new SCS friends!). I made approximately half last year....to family only.

This year.....depending on how busy I am, I will probably ensure family gets hand made. I am "weedwhacking" my card list this year...if I haven't received one from a person in 2+ years I will not send them one this year....so maybe everyone will get a handmade card!

;)

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 08:54 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

I try to get my cards made early, too. Then after the tree is decorated, I crank up the carols and address the cards and sing! I guess I should wait until after Halloween, but my Christmas spirit is showing... :oops:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 09:33 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I send out nearly 150 christmas cards and for the past three years I have made every single one of them. I have several Christmas stamp sets so I make different cards. If I make one I really like I'll make several of that type and send them to people on opposite ends of the country.

Last year was my first year to also make all of my Christmas wrapping paper. Now that is a chore! I didn't get started nearly early enough but then it is hard to do so when you don't know what size gifts you'll be wrapping. I don't put gifts in bags because I LOVE to do the bows and extra decorations on the outside of the packages.

This year will be my first year to make all of my cards, paper, and gifts for Christmas. I've already started!! I've been working on gifts for months. I believe this Friday, the 17th is 100 days until Christmas! In my family that means we can crank up the Christmas music when ever the feeling hits. It does help to get in the mood for doing cards and such.

Good luck to everyone who is working to personalize their holidays!

Darla
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 09:34 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I send 80 cards a year, and I make them all. I make them all the same, for ease and speed....and usually have our family photo on the cover. I haven't found the photo yet, so I am not sure of my design this year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 09:43 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I usually make 100+ and I stamp them all. My number will increase this year.

I just started this past weekend making Christmas cards with my customers. We meet for 3 months just working on cards and sometimes I give them packaging ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 09:45 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

I always make about 100. I usually send out an initial 75, but always have new people or extras that I need to add. Yes, I make them all. Joni
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 09:51 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I do make all of my Christmas cards. I make about 70. I DO NOT make all the same card, or I'd torch my stamp room and never stamp again! I do about 10 cards of 7 different designs. Last year, I took the saturday after Thanksgiving and stamped for about 12 hours to get them all done. I'm a demo so I think a lot of people expect me to stamp my cards and I don't want to disapoint!! I have easier designs for some on my card list and more complicated designs for family and big stamper friends!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 09:58 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

I send out about 40, and I do stamp them all. This year I have a picture of my kids that was taken underwater, so I'm picturing a Fishy Friends holiday card.

Carolyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 10:21 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Last year was the first year I made cards, and I made about 60. But not everyone on my list qualifies for a Hallmark card, never mind handmade! We probably send about 100.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 11:11 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Default Xmas cards

I send out about 50-75, and yes, I make them all, BUT! I make various designs -- some very simple, some moderate, and a handful of wows. My best friends get the WOWs, the good friends that get the moderates are simply for matter of practicality, not because they're "lower on the totem pole," and the rest get the easy ones. No matter, even those who get the "easy" ones are always "amazed" and feel special that they received a handmade card.
Becky G
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 11:27 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have made all my cards for years now, even before knowing about SU!

Last year I think I got my list down to 40 but I think the list will be longer this year because we got married in May. I feel like I should send Christmas cards to those relatives that came to the wedding.

I started out last year making them all the same and didn't like it. I had like 5 designs so it kept making them fun. I liked the change instead of the assembly line.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 11:36 AM   #18  
Failed Lurker

Now I KNOW you're all going to be horrified ... BUT... I don't make my Christmas cards! :shock: I make a few for close family and for stamping friends, but that's all. I used to make them all, but found it was bringing out the worst in me. I always left it too late and got very grumpy doing it and found myself thinking: "Well THEY won't appreciate a handmade card!" and deleting them off the list. My list was shrinking, I was becoming a humbug so now I buy my cards in the sale in January to prevent myself even from having the idle thought "Mmmm... I think I'll make ALL my cards this year." It's worked well over the last few years!

The ones I DO make, I try to make all different - simply because all my stamping friends will show each other what they've received and relatives are also likely to see each other's.

Now... am I going to be struck off SCS??? :(

Helen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 12:45 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

I am enjoying reading all your comments. I thought I was sending and making too many cards, but now I don't feel like I'm too far out there.

And no, hemeynell, we won't get rid of you! Christmas shouldn't be about stress! I had to laugh, though, because I have thought some of the same things about certain people not appreciating the hard work I put into my cards! Isn't that horrible?

I love the underwater fish card idea - so cute!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 01:04 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

My list consists of about 100 or so family and friends and about 50 volunteers from our church youth group that dh and I run. The last two years I have made them all and I made 2 designs, a different one for each group. I am liking Nichol33's idea of dividing it up into about 10 of each design and I think I am going to try that this year. I was so TIRED of making cards last year that I wanted to give it up. I think if I can get started in the next few weeks here though, that'd help. Thanks for the great idea and inspiration!

~jolene
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 01:15 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

I also do about 40 cards for Christmas but I start now this month and
make 10 each month until Christmas. I make 4 different kinds. I get
a little sick of making the same one so I like to make the four different
kinds. Plus I love coming up with the ideas.

Jan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 01:19 PM   #22  
Mad Swapper

This is my first year stamping my own and I send out about 100. I am doing all the same design this year, but in the future I like the 10 card idea! Keeps it from becoming too much like work! LOL.
SCS Member #8990

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/karrieg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 01:53 PM   #23  

I do probably about 50 or so. I make about 1/2 with a religious tone for my family and religious friends, and 1/2 with a more Season Greatings tone for my not so religious friends and family. I also pare down my list to whom hasn't sent to us in a few years. I also buy some cards. You kind of have to have a special place in my heart to get a homemade one. But, now, I'm also a demo, so I think I will try to send a card out to my customers with a little something in it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 02:08 PM   #24  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

This will be my third year making my Christmas cards.

This year I will be making around 180 cards.

Last year I made 180; this included five extras. They were gone when my DH realized needed some for a few of his co-workers.

Years ago when I purchased Christmas and all other cards, I used to address the envelopes in calligraphy.

Now, I make the cards and do the addresses on my pc. Nice logic, huh?!

I usually do four different designs from four different sets.

FOR THOSE OF YOU debating on whether or not to make your holiday cards know this...I attended a family reunion in August and guess what everyone commented to me on....

my handmade christmas card they received.

People don't forget the handmade touch to these things. Don't underestimate the power of the touch of your hand to paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 02:27 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

You are so right, Cindy! I had one person tell me that she recycles all her Christmas cards except the handmade ones. She said she brings the old ones out every year.

Speaking of Christmas cards, we have a little tradition at our house. We take the Christmas cards we get each day and after dinner, say a little prayer and blessing for the person who sent the card to us.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 05:57 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Last year I made 50. This year will be closer to 75. I will stamp them all.
That total does not include my customers. I haven't decided what I am doing for them this year.

I mass-produce. I cut one color at a time, one day at a time. Then I stamp one color at a time, one day at a time, etc.

Last year I hand-addressed all the envelopes. This year, I am printing labels. I don't want to take away from my stamping time. Besides, the postoffice much prefers printed envelopes instead of hand written ones. That way they can be automatically sorted. Saves them a lot of work with the extra mail during that time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 06:12 PM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

Geez... I thought I did a lot, but I guess I really don't. I only do about 50 that are mailed. But I do about 10 more or so for coworkers or last minute parties. I do about 4 designs just to break it up a lit bit for me. Even I get sick of making the same card over and over.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 07:00 PM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

I made about 80 cards last year & will probably have the same number this year. DH also asked me to make 40 invitations for his sheriff reserve Christmas party & they were such a big hit they asked me to do it again. They pay for my supplies - so I guess that means I need to buy a few extra stamp sets.

I make calendars for all the grandparents every year & will again this year (they would probably disown me if I didn't). Last year I also made picture frames, card sets, bath salt and homemade soap baskets & wooden trays with the kids hand prints & some stamping. This year I think I'm going to make some watercolor pictures using In Full Bloom & card sets, journals & pens. I don't buy any gifts anymore for family, friends or teachers (except for the kids). They all like it better and I hear about how much they like gifts for the next year. I agree with Cindy above, never underestimate the power of your handmade gift.

Kendra
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 07:58 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

I make all of my cards, usually about 200-250. Talk about the fat hitting the fryer if I even THOUGHT about sending a store bought card. I have too much of a reputation for that, I would never hear the end of it. I do several different designs, super simple ones I can mass produce, up to a few super wows for my upline and other people I am trying to impress!

My problem isn't stamping, it is writing something in each one. I like to personalize and write something unique, and that is what cramps my hand, OUCH!

Milette
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 08:54 PM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

I make about 30 cards for each holiday. My list is not to long and I like it this way. Although the last 3 years I was on a basset hound board and shipped out 60 cards with pictures of my basset boys, and received 60 cards from them also. That was fun. The board closed this year so my card making list is lots smaller!

[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2004, 09:55 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default How many Christmas Cards

Hello! Wow, some of you make a lot! For my first list, I usually make about 30, all the same, to be mailed right after Thanksgiving with a letter and photos. Then I make about 20-25 closer to Christmas to give to people we are seeing during the holidays; friends, family, neighbors and such. I use scraps and more unique papers and embellishments, a few similar cards at a time using all my misc. stamps that aren't just Christmas themed sets. I get to a stamp camp or stamp a stack during this time, too. Then come the holiday RAK's and wrapping papers, bags, tags and such right up to Christmas Eve as time permits! I love Christmas! This year I'm doing some swaps for earlier ideas and plan to make some cards for the troops, too. I just finished a 6x6 scrapbook using Simply Scrappin' Holiday Sparkle that will be all ready for photos and journaling ahead of time. I have some leftover stickies from that to make some super fast and easy cards with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2005, 01:56 PM   #32  
Cardstock Collector

I have a list of about 60. I make them all myself plus I make up packets to take as hostess gifts when I get invited to all the pre christmas things.

I love it can't get enough stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2005, 03:38 PM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

Talking cards

I usually make 150+. They are the same . This year I would like to make several kinds. I have many sets for the holidays. I also have 3 to 4 SIL that make thier cards so all of mine need to be quite different. I enjoy the challenge. Taishea ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2005, 04:09 PM   #34  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

This will be my 6th year to handstamping all my Xmas cards. In fact........that is how I 1st got into stamping. This Xmas will be my 1st year to use SU stamps and accessories for my cards. I am going to have so much fun. I usually make about 40+cards for friends and family and 50 cards for work. I use the same design and keep it simple, except for immediate family. I use the same stamps, but just more details. I think I am going to want to do more this year with all my new SCS friends, but will still try to go with simple. I also make knitted gifts for our kids and grandkids, but this year I may do something different. That will give me more time for stamping. OMG...I'm hooked! forgot.....I also bake and give to close friends and family Xmas bread, cookies and candy. Goodness, I think I better get started.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2005, 05:10 PM   #35  
Mad Swapper

I, too, got into stamping through making Christmas cards. Once I sprung for the heat gun, I figured I might as well dive right in!

Anyway, the focal point of my Christmas cards is always a picture of my two daughters (always black and white, or sepia and white). The stamping, embossing, vellum, etc. is only an embellishment. I make about 50, and I _start_ them in late November. I leave them this late because I want the picture to be current and not too autumnal or (heaven forbid!) summerlike. I send about 10 of these cards to Europe, and they still all arrive a couple of weeks before Christmas.

The biggest problem that I've encountered is that people are so impressed by these cards, that each year I have to come up with something equally wonderful. The pressure is on. Once the cards hit the mail, we know we'll get tearful phone calls from grandparents (who live in the same city) and long distance calls from all over. These are a BIG hit in Europe, where Christmas is usually celebrated in a quieter way (and no one I know there has even heard of stamping . . . but that's another -- entertaining -- story).

What works for me:
- I don't even seriously think about Christmas until after Halloween
- find one idea, and build around it
- setting up an assembly line is the key to quick mass production
- the mail between western countries (North America, Europe, Australia) is really quick before Christmas. Don't get stressed about time. In December, I rec'd a card posted Thursday in Paris reach me in Vancouver on the next Tuesday. You don't need to have your cards done in September.
- have fun with it! I find it very satisfying, but if you don't, buy your cards

View My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2005, 05:26 PM   #36  
Gallery Gazer

I sent out around 60 homemade Christmas cards last year. I get my start after the last Saturday in October (end of football/marching band season) when I have my SU workshop and a little bit more time on weekends. My demo always has wonderful inspiration as well as my friends who attend the workshop. I wait about 7-10 days for my holiday stamps to arrive, then spend the next few weeks experimenting to see what I may want to do.
I have started planning earlier because about two years ago I got so sick right before Christmas that I could barely get out of bed until a little after Christmas. Luckily, my DH volunteered to color in the designs between between my embossing, cutting and long naps. We just barely got them finished. You learn not to procrastinate. lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2005, 07:22 PM   #37  
Hardware Hotshot

I've made my own Christmas cards nearly every year since I've been married (10 yrs), but only the last few have been with SU.

Don't know why, but it never crossed my mind to do different cards. I just decide on one design I like and then crank 'em out! I was talking to my up-upline about this last year and EVERY single one of her Christmas cards is different!!! Wow! It would take me 4EVER to do that! She just has more creativity, I guess.

My list keeps growing each year - it's up to around 70 or so. That doesn't include neighbors or customers though.

I think I might try doing 3 diff. designs - 25 of each this year. That'll keep my interest and yet won't be too out of control.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2005, 08:48 PM   #38  
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile

I have been making all my Christmas cards for the past four years now. About four or five friends get together at a different house each year and make cards ALL day. We use each others stamp sets. We really get a lot done too. It usually starts about 10am until about 10pm. Boy do we have lots of fun. Also, the day after Thanksgiving one of my sisters comes over and my two grandaughters and they make cards. I just cut the cardstock and help them have fun(my daughter and son in law go shopping). It is always a good bonding day for us.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2005, 03:41 AM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

This will be my fourth year making my cards. I make 100. I ordered the stuff to do them back in June, because I already had my "prototype", at this point, everything is cut, and half stamped. I might actually have them done in a reasonable time this year! I make all the same, cause if everyone found out that they got different ones, they would freak....so now, everyone is happy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2005, 04:50 AM   #40  
Hardware Hotshot

I'll make about 75-80 of several designs. I usually make 8-10 designs before I settle on the ones I like. If I make more than 3-4 at a time of the same design I get sloppy so try to pace myself. I've been pouring over the Christmas samples in the gallery getting some ideas.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes