Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-27-2009, 04:09 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to mail great cards

I see so many great cards on blogs with all sorts of embellishments, but my cards are always so plain. The thing that stops me from putting more on my cards is my uncertainty of how to mail something with bows, buttons, stick pins, etc. Can anyone tell me how to mail something like that? What does it usually cost?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 04:17 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I don't usually mail bulky cards, but I have used a padded (bubble inside) envelope to send a thicker card I made. I have heard of other people doing this also.

If I just have brads, or a knot from a bow, I put a piece of extra cardstock over that part when I put the card in the envelope. I have also used a couple layers of Scotch tape on the inside of the envelope where the offending 'bump' will be. That supposedly keeps the envelope from tearing. I read about that tip from someone on here, but can't remember who. It's a great tip because it doesn't add any more weight or bulk to an already bulky card!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 04:24 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

I've mailed several bulky cards. I've mailed them in regular envelopes from SU. What I have done is crimped (sp?) a piece of cardstock (something cheap) and placed that in the envelope over the front of the card. Once I have it sealed I weigh it - just use my food scale. You can send 1 ounce for $.42. Each additional ounce is $.17. The post office sells $.17 stamps. So if it's over an ounce I just put on a $.42 and a $.17 stamp. So far, so good!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 04:42 PM   #4  
Inking Addict

Default Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeckyG3View Post
I've mailed several bulky cards. I've mailed them in regular envelopes from SU. What I have done is crimped (sp?) a piece of cardstock (something cheap) and placed that in the envelope over the front of the card. Once I have it sealed I weigh it - just use my food scale. You can send 1 ounce for $.42. Each additional ounce is $.17. The post office sells $.17 stamps. So if it's over an ounce I just put on a $.42 and a $.17 stamp. So far, so good!
Wow! Thanks for the quick answers you two! I'm glad to know what you do. I may stop by the post office tomorrow and pick up some $.17 stamps, and then by office depot for some padded mailers as I really want to make some fancier cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 04:56 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Post office does sell 59 cent stamps, too. One stamp per most of my cards (all my cards include some thickness because of embellishments, etc.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 04:58 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Walmart and Sam's sell the padded mailers in bulk. I love those things! And 17 cent stamps are the best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 05:12 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by choughView Post
I may stop by the post office tomorrow and pick up some $.17 stamps, .
I thought the nonmachinable surcharge was 20 cents now. If not, my post office has been overcharging me :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 05:41 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by VegastamperView Post
I thought the nonmachinable surcharge was 20 cents now. If not, my post office has been overcharging me :confused:
I believe you're correct; the additional charge went up to 20 cents the last time postage was raised. Or could this possibly be just for square cards?

To the OP, I often mail cards with brads/bling and a couple layers of cardstock and seldom need the additional postage. One thing I read about when I first started stamping was to use a piece of thick, clear packaging tape on the back of the envelop to keep sharp objects on my card front from getting caught by any machinery at the PO. I also save small-bubble bubble wrap and this thin foamy stuff that I receive in packages and cut it into pieces approximately 4 X 5, then hold one on the front of the card as I slide it into the envelop. That provides additional protection if you have gemstones or any "sharp" embellishments on your card. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 05:49 PM   #9  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I use clear packing tape on all the seams of my envelopes. Inside, I use crimped cadstock/paper, bubble wrap or craft foam (5 decent sized sheets in a pkg at The Dollar Tree).

I have received non-reinforced cards that were ripped where a brad was (or where a bow should have been) so I try to "overprotect" anything I mail.

Another tip (from when I did more swapping) is to fully address the envelope but place that envelope inside a larger one for mailing. If something should happen, it is more likely the inner contents will be deliverable.

HTH and ...

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 06:56 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I always ship in a regular or clear envelope. If you go to usps.com you can calculate postage. Usually I just need to add an extra 17cent stamp. Sometimes a little more if it's extra "rigid."

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tend to place a piece of bubble wrap on the front of my thicker cards and mail in a larger envelope...most run $.57 and up...

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 10:50 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

I got this tip when someone mailed me a card with pokey gems on the front - mail your card inside out, then you don't have to include an extra piece to pad your embellies.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:56 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

The non-machinable charge is 20 cents. If it's just overweight, but still machinable, the charge is 17 cents.

If it's more than 1/4" thick, it's considered a large envelope and the charge for 1 ounce or less is 83 cents. Although, more often than not, my PO will just charge an additional 20 cents (62 total) for something that's just thick in one spot, like from a ribbon knot.

If the card has bumps, but still bends, is less than an ounce, and is under 1/4inch thick, I just put a piece of cardstock over it and pay regular postage. I've never had a problem.

These are the rules for nonmachinable mail taken from the USPS site this morning:

"Letters that meet one or more of the nonmachinable characteristics below are subject to the $0.20 nonmachinable surcharge. For items over 3.5 ounces, see Large Envelope or Package.

It is a square letter (the minimum size for a square envelope is 5 x 5 inches.)
It is too rigid - does not bend easily
It has clasps, string, buttons, or similar closure devices
It has an address parallel to the shorter dimension of the letter
It contains items such as pens that cause the surface to be uneven
The length divided by height is less than 1.3 or more than 2.5"

I have to say that they are pretty consistent in applying these rules at my local PO. But, Geez Louise, could the Postal Service possibly have come up with something more confusing????
I design for Starving Artistamps | Technique Junkies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 03:54 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Postage nuttiness

Donna,
Thank you for putting all that postage info in one place! ... Yes, the Post Office could -- and did! -- come up with something more confusing: Try reading the bulk permit rules. They will really make your head spin!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 04:16 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

I have also had people send embellished cards to me turned inside out, with the embellishments folded toward the inside. This keeps everything facing the envelope smooth.

Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2009, 04:52 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are all great ideas~ I've never had anyone tell me that their cards arrived in bad shape, needing extra postage, etc. I add additional postage to some that really look bulky but have never taken any cards to be weighed! I guess I've been really fortunate so far. Thanks for the discussion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2009, 05:02 AM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

Cool Thanks for all the great pointers

I'm going to use some of these suggestions for my cards. I do tend to add the bling or do wild and crazy things....but the postage does start to become a consideration!!

I've tried everything and one thing I want to share is that even the Post Offices aren't consistent. I've gone to my rural post office with a bundle of cards I send to our college kids from home and had them "assessed" for postage. Paid the postage, then had two more of the same cards that I sent out the next day, put the same postage on them and the same post office with a different clerk sent me a "postage due" the next day (I'm talking identical cards...just a judgement call on the thickness I think) Two of the 20+ cards I sent to kids at one college had to pay postage due....made me mad as that is not what I want the kids to remember about the cards I send!!!

I've also had people that I know have paid postage at the post office (metered label) send me things that I have purchased on ebay or other cards I've sent have resulted in postage due. The other post office I frequent (I live smack dab in the middle of the two) is very stringent on added fees......almost to the point where it's not worth sending the cards!!! I just paid $1.34 to send a standard card that was thicker than 1/4" and weighed 1.1 oz!!! Glad I hand delivered those Easter cards to 1/2 the college kids!!!

We've complained to the local post offices and written notes, etc. So, bottom line, even the postal workers can't keep it straight!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2009, 05:15 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just add international postage rates into the confusion too... if I use a padded envelope it is considered a small parcel AND you need a customs form. If I internally pad my envelope it is mail.

AND yesterday the postal worker tried to get me to over pay by telling me to put to of my airmail stamps on $.94 when one card needed only an additional $.60 and the other $.80.

I think if there is metered "stamps" on then they shouldn't be allowed to charge at the other end.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2009, 06:08 AM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by choughView Post
I see so many great cards on blogs with all sorts of embellishments, but my cards are always so plain. The thing that stops me from putting more on my cards is my uncertainty of how to mail something with bows, buttons, stick pins, etc. Can anyone tell me how to mail something like that? What does it usually cost?
If the envelope is stiff from the embellishments and you're unable to bend it, then extra postage is needed, not just for the weight. Check with the post office...I believe the extra charge is .62 for the first ounce, and then an additional .17 over for each extra ounce.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2009, 06:15 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

It's not just the weight of the card but how thick the card is. If it is over a certain thickness, your Post Office can give you all the info., it is not machine readable. Therefore, you'll need the 62 cent stamp. You don't need to worry about putting extra cardstock in or putting tape over brads, bows, or bumps to keep them from getting caught in the PO machines, because they don't put them through the machines---that's why you pay the extra 20 cent postage. Sometimes you may think "so far, so good", but it's usually the person you send the card to that has to pay the "postage due". I've had that happen to me. If I'm going to the extra trouble of making a fancy card, I don't mind spending an extra 20 cents on postage for someone I love. Just my thoughts......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2009, 06:23 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Also a clear envelope is absolutely non-machinable (meaning they have to sort it by hand the old-fashioned way instead of going through their machines at a million miles a second) and automatically costs 62 cents. The clear envelopes jams their machines. But if it's a bulky card--what a beautiful way to send it! I've had many, many discussions with our PO about mailing hand-made cards. I sell my cards and I want my customers to know exactly what it's going to cost to send each card. Someone please slap me......I'm sounding like a little miss know-it-all!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2009, 06:42 AM   #22  
Inking Addict

I, too, have have been asked many questions about postage. If I have a brad,layering or ribbon, etc. that does not increase the weight, (I have a postage scale) I just put it in a reg. envelope and put it in my home mailbox and the mailman takes it and drops it in. I have asked my recipients if they ever had a torn envelope or was asked for extra postage and they always say no. If I take it to the PO, I am at the mercy of the clerk who always finds a way to add more postage - one time over $1! Or drop it in the drive-by mailbox. Works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2009, 07:01 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

You find out really quickly which postal workers you take your cards to for mailing and what ones to stay away from. But a clear envelope never sneaks by the system without the 62 cents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2009, 07:05 AM   #24  
Forum Fanatic

I posted a thread about the PO, for this very reason...it is confusing! But, the bottom line is, even if you are under 1/4" and under 1 oz, you may still need the extra 20c for "non machineable" if you want to be SURE that your card gets through. I know the bubble wrap or c/s works most of the time, but the clerk told me about some tiny screws wrapped in bubble wrap that went through the machine (they fit the criteria other than being metal), and it tore up the envie. So, it can still tear up if you have any kind of metal in your card.

Also, I have gotten cards returned to me because the person's address had changed, so I have some idea of how they fare the mailing...I have been turning my cards inside out if they have embellies, and when I get them back to me, there are DENTS in the card from them. So, they make it there without extra charge or torn envie, but they surely don't look as nice as they did when I sent them. The extra 20c would have made them hand stamped and they would have been fine then (theoretically, at least! :rolleyes

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2009, 07:12 AM   #25  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by llamalindyView Post
I'm going to use some of these suggestions for my cards. I do tend to add the bling or do wild and crazy things....but the postage does start to become a consideration!!

I've tried everything and one thing I want to share is that even the Post Offices aren't consistent. I've gone to my rural post office with a bundle of cards I send to our college kids from home and had them "assessed" for postage. Paid the postage, then had two more of the same cards that I sent out the next day, put the same postage on them and the same post office with a different clerk sent me a "postage due" the next day (I'm talking identical cards...just a judgement call on the thickness I think) Two of the 20+ cards I sent to kids at one college had to pay postage due....made me mad as that is not what I want the kids to remember about the cards I send!!!

I've also had people that I know have paid postage at the post office (metered label) send me things that I have purchased on ebay or other cards I've sent have resulted in postage due. The other post office I frequent (I live smack dab in the middle of the two) is very stringent on added fees......almost to the point where it's not worth sending the cards!!! I just paid $1.34 to send a standard card that was thicker than 1/4" and weighed 1.1 oz!!! Glad I hand delivered those Easter cards to 1/2 the college kids!!!

We've complained to the local post offices and written notes, etc. So, bottom line, even the postal workers can't keep it straight!!!
Yes, once you are over 1/4" you hit a different rate scale.

The clerk at my PO told me that even the employees are confused, so that's why there is inconsistency. I agree with RiverIsis--if the sending PO thinks it's got enough postage, it's crazy for the receiving PO to make it "postage due." That's just wrong, it was already through the system! I wonder if they get some kind of bonus for each office that makes their numbers or something?!

They also told me they calibrate their scales, but I question that! I also sent two identical things (each had 2 sheets of c/s cut up, with stamped images on them), and one weighed in at 1.1 oz so it cost more. Usually I send them from home and just put the 1 oz postage on it, because 2 sheets of c/s should weigh less than 1 oz unless it is the 110lb PTI or something like that--but mine were 80lb c/s.

Here is what I originally posted: Forums at Splitcoaststampers

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln

Last edited by nottoocreative; 04-22-2009 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: add link
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2009, 07:39 AM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

Default Plastic slot "tester"

I use .59 stamps on slightly bulky envelopes, and .62 if they're thicker; plus I do turn mine inside out now. The PO gave me a big plastic card with a slot to test my cards and see how thick they are!! I love your idea of the scotch tape inside to prevent tearing over a metal brad, etc.!!
Karen
Quote:

Originally Posted by kstamperView Post
I don't usually mail bulky cards, but I have used a padded (bubble inside) envelope to send a thicker card I made. I have heard of other people doing this also.

If I just have brads, or a knot from a bow, I put a piece of extra cardstock over that part when I put the card in the envelope. I have also used a couple layers of Scotch tape on the inside of the envelope where the offending 'bump' will be. That supposedly keeps the envelope from tearing. I read about that tip from someone on here, but can't remember who. It's a great tip because it doesn't add any more weight or bulk to an already bulky card!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2009, 08:29 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Can I just say I use clear envelopes for ALL my cards that are outgoing and I have NEVER had to put more than just the standard first class rate stamp on them? I have had two in four years returned with the little sticker that says more postage please. I have peeled that little sticker off and popped them back in my mailbox, without the extra postage and the cards made it to the receiver the second time out with no additional postage or postage due at the other end. So much of the rates totally depend on each post office. I have never had a card arrive with postage due either. I mail ALL of my cards from my home mail box and just dont have any problems.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2009, 09:11 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Postage

A friend made me a 1/4" template. If I make a card with ribbons, say, I put it in the envelope and run it through the template. If it is too thick I go ahead and run my brayer over the envelope with the card in it. It flattens the knot on the bow and makes it under the 1/4". Of course probably wouldn't work on harder things like jewels, brads, eyelets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2009, 10:55 AM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackhampamView Post
...But a clear envelope never sneaks by the system without the 62 cents.

I mailed about 20 baby shower invites in clear envelopes with regular postage and they all made it there fine. No postage due, no damange or anything.

At that time, I didn't know that there even could have been an extra charge. I'm sure it's going to come back and bite me this time since I just mailed something this morning in a clear envie with a bulky ribbon knot. I'm sure it will be a lesson learned....

thanks for this thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2009, 11:41 AM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

FYI - don't use a lot of embellishments, but the ones I do put on are bulky - I add an extra small stamp, turn the card inside out, and hope for the best. So far none have come back. I don't think the post office has the time, or wants to police them that well. I never take the card to the window, that's just asking for trouble.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2009, 01:42 PM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

I specifically asked my PO about the embellishments. She explained to me the envelope goes through the machine at the top (where the stamp is to cancel it). So when I stuff my envelope I turn my card so that my ribbons, brads, etc. are at the bottom of the envelope. They also have a template they can use to see if the thickness is okay. There is one lady in my PO who often says it is too thick and I say no it is okay as they are dimensionals made out of foam and will compress without any problem. She doesn't believe me and tries it and each time it is fine. I have only had one card in years of sending on the average of 10 a week ever need extra postage (it was to my daughter and she was upset with me until she saw it had her Christmas check inside ).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2009, 02:04 PM   #32  
Compulsive Stamper

Thumbs up mailing great cards

One idea that seems to work for me is using the "protector sheet" from a candy box. Its the honey-comb like paper that covers the chocolates? I don't receive chocolates often, but when I do. . . I save the protector sheet and cut it to the size I need to cover my embellishments that might cause a hole when the speeding machines at the P.O. "attack" the mail. My husband is a retired Letter Carrier for the P.O. and thought THAT was a great way to send off my Special cards. It seems to work well. Once in a while I will use a heavy card stock over the brads or bling, but the honey-comb paper works the best. So far, I haven't gotten any "Return to Sender" envelopes, so it must work? No extra stamps needed. Stampin Busia ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2009, 02:14 PM   #33  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin BusiaView Post
One idea that seems to work for me is using the "protector sheet" from a candy box. Its the honey-comb like paper that covers the chocolates? I don't receive chocolates often, but when I do. . . I save the protector sheet and cut it to the size I need to cover my embellishments that might cause a hole when the speeding machines at the P.O. "attack" the mail. My husband is a retired Letter Carrier for the P.O. and thought THAT was a great way to send off my Special cards. It seems to work well. Once in a while I will use a heavy card stock over the brads or bling, but the honey-comb paper works the best. So far, I haven't gotten any "Return to Sender" envelopes, so it must work? No extra stamps needed. Stampin Busia ;-)
Always tell the truth, you have less to remember!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2009, 02:20 PM   #34  
Hardware Hotshot

wow! great thread! subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2009, 05:53 PM   #35  
Inking Addict

The extra handling fee is $0.20, but it doesn't really mean much. Several of my thicker cards have gotten lost or damaged in the postal system. The clerks at the counter say it's a hit or miss thing if a handler actually puts your piece with extra postage in the special handling bin; most just go through the machines. I used to put fluorescent colored labels on both sides of the envelope, plus paid the extra handling fee. I don't bother any more. The only thing I might do is use a bubble envelope for an especially thick card to someone special. I was embarrassed when a thank you note to someone arrived as an empty envelope! What can ya do?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2009, 07:37 PM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

If it's a special card (aren't they all after you've worked on them so hard!), I always put mine in a clear envelope with the 62 cent stamp. That way the postal worker can't help but notice it's not a machinable envelope. Besides, I get lots of comments on how much people enjoyed getting a card in a "see through envelope"--they had never heard of such a thing (I live in a small community and most people I send cards do as well). I have actually found some of the cards I sell in our 1 tiny craft store that I have in regular envelopes, switched with the clear ones!! Now, I leave extra ones, in case they want to exchange it--with a clear sign that using the clear envelopes use 62 cent postage. As much as I spend on card making "goodies"; I'm not going to quibble over 20 cents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2009, 07:41 PM   #37  
Kookie Creator

I've started putting a piece of cardstock in the envelope... I love the idea of crimping it! I have a super easy post office to go to, but sometimes the worker charges me $1.00!!! When I go to the pain-in-the-tushy location they always go through with $.42. One time I took in my son's bday invites specifically so there wouldn't be a problem... posted them as the worker told me, only to have them all come back TWO WEEKS LATER!!! We all do our best, but sometimes stuff happens!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2009, 10:51 AM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

Wink

I too have used clear envelopes without having to put on extra postage. I also have found that different post offices have different rules, even though they ought to all be the same. It sure if frustrating. Thanks for all the hints on covering brads, etc with extra card stock so they don't stick out as much!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Can I just say I use clear envelopes for ALL my cards that are outgoing and I have NEVER had to put more than just the standard first class rate stamp on them? I have had two in four years returned with the little sticker that says more postage please. I have peeled that little sticker off and popped them back in my mailbox, without the extra postage and the cards made it to the receiver the second time out with no additional postage or postage due at the other end. So much of the rates totally depend on each post office. I have never had a card arrive with postage due either. I mail ALL of my cards from my home mail box and just dont have any problems.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2009, 03:10 PM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

I just called the national USPS and found my local PO has been "scamming" me. Clear envelopes DO NOT require extra postage as long as they weigh under 13 ounces and are less than 1/4" wide. If your PO tries to charge you extra for these, kindly tell them to check their national regulations and they will find that clear envelopes do not require extra postage. I'm usually a very, very laid-back person, but I'm rather upset that I have been putting 62 cents postage on every clear envelope I have sent (which has been many) and have been required to put up a sign where I sell my cards notifying customers of the extra postage. Also first class postage increases from 42 cents to 44 cents on May 11th up to 13 ounces and 17 cents after that (for a regular size envelope). I have decided not to just drop off my clear envelope cards in the mail box, but to go through the mail line to let the postal workers in my PO (we only have 1) that they are over-charging customers. (I'm really not as angry as this sounds. I just get a little frustrated when you do something nice for someone and get taken advantage of for it.) I also apologize for my previous message informing other card addicts that a clear envelope absolutely requires 62 cents postage--sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry!!! Have a great day!!!! Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2009, 05:58 PM   #40  
Cardstock Collector

Ladies.....save your bubble wrap! There is a skinny kind and a fatter kind. If it's the fatter, I pull it apart and make it skinnier. I have been making/mailing cards for over 25 years. If I have a ribbon or other embellishment, I ALWAYS make sure that goes in first so that it it near the bottom of the envelope since the postage cancelling is at the top of the envelope. For slightly thicker cards that have embellishments, I cut my bubble wrap into pieces, approximately the size of the envelope but smaller. I put my bubble wrap in first towards the address side of the card (front side), then insert my card with any embellishments facing towards the bubble wrap. It works great, goes through all their machines and doesn't add any real weight to the card.
I sell my cards at craft fairs and always include a piece of bubble wrap and give the person these instructions. I've never had a problem with sending them this way. The bubble wrap cushions the card and has enough flexibility to go thru the p.o. machines without tearing envelopes or messing up my beautiful cards. And, here in Arizona that's important because I think the post office here still uses the old pony express system!
Good luck. Peggy
Reply With Quote Likes