Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-12-2006, 05:51 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you store & organize your stamp sets?

Hi,

I have probably 50 or so sets of SU stamp sets. Currently, they are organized according to case size on a shelf. However, I am probably one set away from having no room left and heaven forbid that I refrain from buying a new set as I'm out of room. :rolleyes:

How do you store and organize them?

Thanks,

Cammy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2006, 06:26 PM   #2  
Watercolor Wizard

on shelves, in alpha order, by case size
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2006, 06:46 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Mine are on shelves, in order by what page they're on in the catty. (I'm a demo with only current sets, so this works best for me.) I have the page numbers on a sticker on the side of the box. It's so easy to find what I'm looking for and so easy to put them back away!

A friend said she's going to sort hers by the order they're in her stamp index book. (number the index pages, then number the sets)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2006, 07:51 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I'm sure when I post this I will have to dodge rotten tomatoes being hurled at me. LOL

Seriously, I know many SU people would probably have a hissy fit about this, but honestly, I didn't have the room for all my mounteds, and a girl must keep collecting stamps, right? So here goes... I UNMOUNTED all my wm's that were practical to do so with and store them with the shoebox method (a couple photoboxes with 5x8" index cards). There, I said it. Now I am ducking underneath my 'puter desk... teehee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2006, 07:54 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Seriously, I know many SU people would probably have a hissy fit about this, but honestly, I didn't have the room for all my mounteds, and a girl must keep collecting stamps, right? So here goes... I UNMOUNTED all my wm's that were practical to do so with and store them with the shoebox method (a couple photoboxes with 5x8" index cards). There, I said it. Now I am ducking underneath my 'puter desk... teehee

a LOT of people here have done that. I am sure you are safe from rotten tomatoes! LOL

I just store mine on a shelf by case size. It is not the best method so I am watching your thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2006, 07:57 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by mindeola
a LOT of people here have done that. I am sure you are safe from rotten tomatoes! LOL...
Whew, well in that case, I might peek out from under my desk just long enough to hit the post button. Thanks for the info! *wink* LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2006, 08:00 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't have near the sets as you girls do, I'm sure. But I sort mine by group - all my alphabets are together, the winter sets with the Christmas sets, the flower sets - pretty much like they are in the cattie, but roughly - not as organized as Belinda's!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2006, 08:06 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryR
I don't have near the sets as you girls do, I'm sure. But I sort mine by group - all my alphabets are together, the winter sets with the Christmas sets, the flower sets - pretty much like they are in the cattie, but roughly - not as organized as Belinda's!
What do you do for something like Tag Time that has a bunch of different holidays? I considered sorting like that but I got really confused on the "mixed" sets and gave that up! lol

I have them right now organized by box size, then by alphabetical order. They're all on a shelf and I'd like a more compact way to store them. Without going unmounted, that is.... I don't think I'm ready for that. :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2006, 09:56 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

wow... you mean people organize their stamps?

LMBO.... surely not this girl!!

I don't have that many sets so I just keep the 20 or so I do have in their plastic boxes and then stored in rolling Iris carts. All my wheels are in one drawer, all my backgrounds in another drawer.

I have more individual stamps from the stamp store than sets. These are stored in SU clear boxes by type. Each box is labeled: Hearts, Stars, Small Sayings, Large Sayings, Weather, Small Floral, Large Floral, Food/Kitches, Tags etc. After I got that far though I just chucked em' all in the drawers. I just dig and pull stuff out till I find what I need. LOL...

Tiffany

Check out my current work at ScrapsaDaisy Designs

Every Monday is Daisy Day!

The Daisy Patch.. my SCS Gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2006, 10:04 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

I have 6 "under the bed" sized boxes that I keep in the scrapbook room closet with my stamps in them. I have them divided into 6 different categories. Words, seasons and nature, background, everyday, etc... I am about to out grow the 6 I have and will be adding 2 more boxes soon. We took the closet rod out and put in all the nice sturdy wire shelving from Home Dept. and that is where I put the boxes. I don't know if you will think it is the best system or not but it is the best system for me! I will be interested to see what others say.
SArah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2006, 10:06 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

watching this thread for good ideas. So far mine are in iris carts by theme christmas, words, alpha, summer, etcc. but I am slowing purging out the iris carts and getting wood cabinets from target. So I am looking at a better way to store them. I have both su and non su stamps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2006, 06:12 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Mine are all unmounted and stored in CD cases....I try to keep them in alphabetical order, but you know, that doesn't always happen. ;)
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2006, 06:21 AM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

Yep, most of us here will not throw tomatoes for unmounting. I unmounted 350 SU sets in the past two months and I now store them in CD cases and they all fit on my stamp table right in front of me along with my embellishments, stamp pads, etc. When I had them woodmounted I stored them in the cases on two large bookshelves by catagory.

To answer the other question. If I have a set that has more than one season or has many different sayings it goes in the category "Occasions". I tried to put them in catagories like the SU catalog.

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2006, 06:25 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by astraea54
What do you do for something like Tag Time that has a bunch of different holidays? I considered sorting like that but I got really confused on the "mixed" sets and gave that up! lol

I have them right now organized by box size, then by alphabetical order. They're all on a shelf and I'd like a more compact way to store them. Without going unmounted, that is.... I don't think I'm ready for that. :-D
I actually have a "multi purpose" area. I store mine in drawers with the side that you open facing up (since it has that lip), all of my labels are there and I just flip through them like files. I think this is good because I have heard of the rubber getting mushed on some sets if you stack them. I have a words and alpha drawer, kids and flowers in another, a holiday drawer and a multi purpose. I have a lot of stamps but don't ever have trouble finding them.

I would say organize in a way that makes sense for you. I have them grouped, roughly like they are in the catalog in the multi purpose section.

Have fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2006, 06:29 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have all of mine in their original boxes but I type the name on white paper. Shows up better on the end & it's larger print.
I bought a wire rack that is 2 shelves & was made to go over a washer/dryer.
Below the 2 racks I have dowel rods (2) with spools of ribbon on them. I have the stamp boxes stacked in Holidays, Kids, outdoor, words, Verses, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2006, 06:31 AM   #16  
Cardstock Collector

Smile

I have a unit from IKEA, which has 4 large deep wire mesh baskets. I put a laminated tag on each drawer (this idea was borrowed from a demonstrator I saw who was able to bring her stamps to other locations for stamp camps). I divided my stamps like this:
1 drawer for Birthdays/Kids Stuff stamps
1 drawer for Holidays (Christmas, Valentines, Easter, etc)
1 drawer for Alphabets, Numbers, Dates, Borders, Backgrounds
1 drawer for Thank You and Miscellaneous (pretty much anything that doesn't fit into one of the above categories)

This has been working for me, although I'm now wishing I had gotten the 5 drawer unit!! You can also get a white wood laminated top to put on it, that way I can stack a paper organizer on top. I store the stamps in their cases so that I can see the label on top. Good Luck. I've tried SO many methods and this borrowed one is the only one that works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2006, 06:33 AM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

Smile Great ideas

I only have one stamp set right now but I love all the ideas I am getting on how to organize them all as I am working on building a collection! Keep them coming!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2006, 06:43 AM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Like you, I came to SAB time last winter and didnt have any more room. And heaven forbid I stop shopping (gasp!), so I decided to go to an unmounted system. I cut my storage needs in half OR MORE by storing the sets in empty CD cases, then group by style- flowers, masculine, Christmas, words, etc. I have stamped (or copy the image sheet when you get a new set, or print off the index from this site) in a 3ring binder that I can browse through to see what sets I own. I'm really happy with my decision and if you have any questions, feel free to pm me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2006, 06:57 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

I have my everyday sets stored on a bookshelf. They are supposed to be by box size, but I have been digging around and they need to be resorted. The backgrounds are all together, and so are the alphabets. My Christmas stamps I store in a dresser. These are my largest group. My unmounted sets from TAC are in CD cases, but I am going to change this to the binder method, and I have my misc stamps (Outlines and others) in SU Boxes, just jumbled together. I don't have many of those.

One thing that has really helped is that when I put the label on the box, I don't pull it off the white backing. I cut it off and adhere the whole thing to the box using Mono. It really helps me! I have to take some time to add white in behind my older sets. The attached picture is a bit fuzzy, but I think you can get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you store & organize your stamp sets?-dscf0037.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2006, 07:01 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

WOW! I really didn't think this would be such a popular topic. Okay a few questions --

jandbmama -- do you know what the IKEA name is of your cabinet? Do you have a picture of that?

For those who store them unmounted --- what do you do when you use them? Do you still use your wood block? If so, what do you use to temporarily mount it?

I'm currently more of a hobby demo, but hope to find a workshop base, so I need to think of how that would work that way.

Thanks for all of your tips.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2006, 07:56 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapsaDaisy
wow... you mean people organize their stamps?
Well, I have gobs of stamp sets (about 100 current) so I have to do something or I'd never find anything! But my sets usually end up piled all over my stamping surface-- I don't put them away as I finish with them. So I wanted a system that was quick and painless to put away. Alphabetizing takes too much brain power, and having my sets sorted by case size guaranteed that I'd take 20 minutes looking for a stamp set. So when I saw the idea here on SCS (can't remember who posted it) to sort sets by page number, I decided to give it a try. Couldn't hurt!

I love it! I can pull out a ton of stamp sets (I have about 10 still out from VSN the other night) but be able to put them away quickly and painlessly!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2006, 06:14 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnhyrkas
I have stamped (or copy the image sheet when you get a new set, or print off the index from this site) in a 3ring binder that I can browse through to see what sets I own. I'm really happy with my decision and if you have any questions, feel free to pm me.
I do the three ring binder thing too; works great! I store my stamps according to box size and when I need something in particular like a certain style of flower (most sets have a flower of some sort lurking) I just get out my binder and look for the perfect stamp for the occasion. When I get a new set I stamp each image in basic black on white copy paper and write the name at the top in red. It makes it easy to locate whatever I need and I've found that the sets I never used to use are less-forgotten now.

You Can Stamp It,come for ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2006, 06:30 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

I have two shelving units in a closet that I keep my stamps on. All are in their original boxes, but I have just started to put labels on them so that I can see their names better. The lowest shelf has all the retireds, then seasonal, large cases, etc....The stamp sets I use the most are on the 2 top shelves.

I would highly recommend putting some kind of label on the stamp case. It makes such a difference when looking for the set you want. The label SUp provides does not show up very well on the boxes when they are being stored.

My Gallery ~ My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2006, 06:30 AM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a rack that was used in a shoe factory. It is like a book shelf that has slightly slanted shelves. I lined it with shelf paper and place my stamps on end. Because the shelves slant it is easy to see all the stamps. I do not have to worry about the cushions deforming because they are on end. My unmounted are kept in 3 ring binders. I place tack it over and over glue on the back of my unmounted. when dry (overnight) I place them on page protectors and then into binders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2006, 06:36 AM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

I have mine on a book shelf, I put the sticker that comes to label boxes on the side of my background stamps and they go on the top shelf, then the alpha and flexi-phrases go on that shelf too. I also put the angel policy stamps there.
Then all the other ones are according to "type" flowers, and stuff... by box sizes. I have all my retired stamps on the bottom shelves along with incentive stamps, and give-away stamps for drawings and such that I might have.
I think I might have to go back through and do the "according to the page" or section of catty... that seems to be a pretty good idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2006, 06:39 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

I ,too, have too many stamps. I am a hobby demo and can't let go of any stamp sets yet, so I just collect, collect, collect. I store mine above the filing cabinet in the closet by size. I printed the name of the set in bold letters on white paper and then cut the strip of paper and used 2-way glue to adhere the strip to the inside of the box on the left side. I was having a hard time reading the strip that comes with the set and I also do not like anything that is permanent or sticks too much (avery labels, etc.) to the box.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2006, 06:39 AM   #27  
Crimping Master

Default unmounted

I have asked this question before and never got an answer. The girls with the unmounted stamp sets - I know you put them in CD cases but how do you label them? The sides are maybe 3/16" thick or do you label on the tops?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2006, 06:46 AM   #28  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Default unmounted?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faereygirl
Mine are all unmounted and stored in CD cases....I try to keep them in alphabetical order, but you know, that doesn't always happen. ;)
when you say "unmounted" do you mean that you somehow use acrylic blocks and something like that cling stuff I keep hearing about? I am looking for a way to store my growing collection in less space. The wood blocks and cases take up a lot of room in my "craft CLOSET"...LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2006, 06:59 AM   #29  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by resqbarbie
when you say "unmounted" do you mean that you somehow use acrylic blocks and something like that cling stuff I keep hearing about? I am looking for a way to store my growing collection in less space. The wood blocks and cases take up a lot of room in my "craft CLOSET"...LOL
Yes, I have a few unmounted sets that are on EZ Cling (available through the TAC catalog) or another name for it is "Smart Cushion" available at www.cornishheritagefarms.com
I have enjoyed using my unmounted stamps and I am thinking I may go more unmounted after the holidays to save space.
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2006, 06:59 AM   #30  
Cardstock Collector

I used my label maker to make better labels that you can actually see. I also put a symbol on the end of the label. i.e If they are retired (skull) If they were from a mini catalog or some kind of promotion (star) and if current, then no symbol. I then store them on shelves in the grouping of the symbol and in the order of the case size. All background stamps are stored together.
This has worked very well for me as I tend to remember if stamp set is retired or from a mini catalog etc. So I know where to find them. And the bigger labels make it even easier to see them.
I also use the label maker to label my caddy and stamp pads. i.e Rich Regal says RR on the top and then the stamp pads are put in order according to the catalog. Then labelled RR1, RR2 etc. I did this because I would get so frustrated when people were over using my pads and would put them in the wrong place. Now it never happens. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2006, 07:01 AM   #31  
Glitter Queen

In reading all your suggestions for stamp storage, its amazing to find so many different ideas. A group of us get together weekly to stamp and fortunately for us, the house we stamp at has a "stamping" room.....floor to ceiling bookcases, we have the sets alphabetized by case size, we store all the background stamps separately, and have a 3 ring binder with all the sayings, words, phrases, etc. in it with the name of each set they are in. Nice to go thru and pick out what you want as a verse. Now as a group, we have 500 different sets so, you know there are tons of storage issues, so far this is working but we will be out of space and the idea of unmounting is a great on.....if only we knew how to use them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2006, 07:02 AM   #32  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by K. Benko
I have asked this question before and never got an answer. The girls with the unmounted stamp sets - I know you put them in CD cases but how do you label them? The sides are maybe 3/16" thick or do you label on the tops?
A lot of girls use label makers for the sides of their CD cases. I used a blue Sharpie marker and just wrote the name. Very easy for me to read and a great system!!

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2006, 07:03 AM   #33  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by resqbarbie
There are many threads on unmounting your stamps. It might be easier to search this forum and put "unmounted" instead of everyone explaining again. I would be happy to answer any of your questions if you want to PM me. It was a confusing concept at first but once I tried it I LOVED it!!

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2006, 07:03 AM   #34  
Glitter Guru

Wow I am glad that I checked back on this thread today!

I have unmounted all of my stamps and put all of the rubber onto creative cling so it sticks to the blocks. For the NEW sets that I buy, I use some window cling sheets and just use the foam that comes with the stamps already. I peel the paper off of the stamps (leaving them attached together and uncut) and then lay the window cling on, THEN cut them. I stamp the outside of the case with Staz-on so that I know what I have in the box.

Then I use a label maker and label the spine of the case with it...the labels are a tiny bit bigger, but they look nice all the same and just fold over the edge.

HTH!
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2006, 07:05 AM   #35  
Gabfest Goddess

Me again! Yesterday I made up a binder that has the images & names of ALL my stamp sets. It is GREAT!! I just look through the binder and see which sets I want to use. I was looking for a certain sentiment last night and I just whipped out my book. I can't believe I have never done this before. It would have saved me hours and hours of time!!

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2006, 07:08 AM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

I just went to Kmart and bought a wheeled bin, that's about 4 feet tall, and it has 6 clear plastic drawers. I have two small on top two really big in the center, and two medium on the bottom. I store mine by theme. I have a ton of Christmas, and I'm collecting more and more, so I need to go buy another of these. I think it was $20. Works great for me. I've been meaning to label the drawers, but I know where everything is right now, when my collection gets bigger, I'll have to label! :o)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2006, 07:21 AM   #37  
Glitter Queen

I am another one who has unmounted my stamps. I have them on the EZCling foam and have them stored in notebooks (found a really neat notebook with a D-ring and a snap closure that keeps the notebook squared) I have each storage page separated by a sheet protector - I have each stamp image on the facing page so I can easily view the stamps plus I know where the stamp goes when I am putting them away. It is easy to group them by type this way plus it is good for flipping through when I am looking for ideas.

Another benefit that I have found is that I am more likely to see the stamp as an individual inspiration rather than the whole set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2006, 07:35 AM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default STAMP STORAGE

Running out of space like so many of you (I have over 3000 non SU stamps, not including about 75 sets, plus 120 or so SU sets), I also typed up new LARGER labels for my SU sets, and taped them to the inside of the box. They are white labels for active and green for retired. I've also added H04, H-05 (for the year) for Hostess so when I or someone else is using them, we know right off if it's something that is readily available for purchase. I have them sorted by color, then by size/alphabetically. It's so much easier for me to find them that way. And I just recently pulled my duplicate sets and those I don't/won't use and tucked them into a box until such time as I can decide what to do with them. While I started my SU as unmounted, I've moved back to wm because it's easier for me to just pick it up and stamp NOW! Thanks for sharing all your great ideas. I always leave this site with something new andn wonderful to try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2006, 07:47 AM   #39  
Compulsive Stamper

I stamp all my sets onto copy paper then put them into a binder. It's so much easier to be able to flip through pages in a notebook then to rummage through all my sets. The binder is also nice to look through when I'm putting an order in. You know you really like a set when you order it two different times because you don't remember if you have ordered it yet. After I did that with two different sets, I made my binder. I have my sets in a plastic 3 drawer storage bin. Both my binder and my drawers are divided based on the SU catalog. And for all those no SU stamps I buy, I use the plastic SU boxes from backround stamps. I figure backround stamps don't need to be kept with their "set" and it saves on space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2006, 07:54 AM   #40  
Kookie Creator

Smile unmounted stamps

I have a question that no one has asked yet.
What do you think about SU going unmounted anytime soon??? Most of my customers us CLose to my Heart because of the unstamped and simple way to store them.
Teresa
Reply With Quote Likes