Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-05-2013, 03:49 AM   #41  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post

4.Have an appealing title that would make someone WANT to check it out closer.
I would LOVE to able to think of an appealing title for my cards but I just draw a blank and say something very unexciting like: "Teddy's birthday wishes" just because my card has a teddy bear on it! Yet, when I look in the gallery, I see so many clever, witty or amusing titles and wonder how people come up with them. I feel so unimaginative and dull in comparison....sigh....
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2013, 04:08 AM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoBear2View Post
I would LOVE to able to think of an appealing title for my cards but I just draw a blank and say something very unexciting like: "Teddy's birthday wishes" just because my card has a teddy bear on it! Yet, when I look in the gallery, I see so many clever, witty or amusing titles and wonder how people come up with them. I feel so unimaginative and dull in comparison....sigh....
Don't sweat the title - TBH I hardly ever look at titles. I'm sure it works for some people but it isn't a failsafe to get people to look.

For example a few months ago SU released a British Telecom-esque phone box stamp and people were calling it a T.A.R.D.I.S or Dr Who related when even painting it blue didn't make it Dr Who... now that probably got viewings but it didn't make them "wow" cards IMHO because they were incorrect. It would be the equivalent to having Superman coming out of a closet... oh wait... that's probably a whole 'nuther card thread.... :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2013, 04:40 AM   #43  
Glitter Guru

I rarely notice the title for cards either. I am usually looking at cards either from a search or from the favorites or CAS favorites thread.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2013, 04:43 AM   #44  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 297 Likes on 115 Posts

Just a thought that occurred to me repeatedly: I agree that copying "the masters" can give you some good practice and help you identify your personal style, but I DO NOT agree that this is a good way to learn how to make "wow" cards. The "wow" cards (to me) are the ones where the maker's personality shines through. You can learn a lot about a person by some of the things you consistently see in their cards. Do they usually have a humorous slant? Are they a-ma-zing in what they do with ribbon? Or embellishments? Do they have a magical way with pairing up patterned papers? I think that the WOW cards are the ones that stay truest to who YOU are. As people become more familiar with you and your work, they'll kind of, sort of know what your "style" is and how to properly appreciate it. You can tell IMMEDIATELY if a card in the gallery is Birgit's (Biggan), for example. Others may be less obvious, but you still know what they're about. I look to Karen Dunbrook for classy CAS designs, for example. Anyway - I'm probably rambling at this point and I'm sure you get my drift

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2013, 04:49 AM   #45  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 520 Likes on 234 Posts

What Sue said! :lol: She's spot on!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #46  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,927 Likes on 2,193 Posts

I uploaded a new card today using the new uploader. After I looked at it, I realized I should try to edit the photo a bit, so I used a photo editing program on my computer, cropped it and blurred the edges. I must admit that the second picture looked much better so I switched the picture in my gallery with the better one and it worked! Now if only I remember to edit BEFORE I submit to my gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #47  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I agree with Sue too! Use what you like the best. I hate to color so I only use die cuts, ribbon, embellishments, and sentiments on most of my cards.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2013, 03:53 AM   #48  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Quote:

These are the cards I was talking about. The first one is the bad picture one. The second is a better picture of the same card. I am not the greatest photographer, but I really do need a new camera!
I would not have guessed that was the same card...I thought the first one was kraft cardstock...and I preferred the white cardstock!

My attention is drawn to the stamped image when I look at cards, too fancy is great for me in real life where I can touch and feel...but on the computer it is overwhelming to my vision and I prefer to look at one-layer cards.

Trying to learn from your questions and answer time!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2013, 03:55 AM   #49  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,326 Posts

PS...I realize I'm late to the Q&A session but I followed the link provided on the Prize Drawing Thread...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2013, 04:10 AM   #50  
Glitter Guru

What a difference, that is amazing how a better photo shows off the picture so much more, as you know I love this card.

Dea

Quote:

These are the cards I was talking about. The first one is the bad picture one. The second is a better picture of the same card. I am not the greatest photographer, but I really do need a new camera!

My Blog: Express Yourself
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2013, 04:25 AM   #51  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramommaView Post
PS...I realize I'm late to the Q&A session but I followed the link provided on the Prize Drawing Thread...
I'm following you Kramomma!

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is layering, or at least inking/sponging edges of panels to give the appearance of more depth. An image with a contrasting mat or border stands out much better than just the image panel stuck on the card.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2013, 04:50 AM   #52  
Watercolor Wizard

I'm not so sure you have to make a "wow" card to get comments. My challenge cards get comments my "regular" cards generally don't. It's exposure (IMO) for the most part that gets comments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2013, 04:59 AM   #53  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Another comment on comments :-) Since Pinterest comments on SCS, the SU demo site and my blog where I post my projects are WAY down. I think people are mainly pinning things rather than commenting. I still do get comments if I do challenges which the team is supposed to comment so that makes sense but I only get random ones usually. So It's not just the card I think. It's the evolution of these websites....

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2013, 05:37 AM   #54  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 297 Likes on 115 Posts

I concur with Minders! There are so many demands on our time and attention that most of us do "fly bys", if we have a chance to peruse at all! Hitting a "like" button or "favorite" or "pin this" is much faster than taking time to tap out a whole sentence or two, even though it's not as friendly and/or provides no feedback as to what, particularly, was appealing about that project. We have such limited time and so many things to do that personal interaction often goes by the wayside, including commenting (guilty as charged, unfortunately - I haven't even had time to LOOK at the galleries, let alone comment...)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2013, 07:17 AM   #55  
Stazon Splitcoast

A "wow" card.

Well, "wow" is in the eye of the beholder really. If YOU think "wow" when you make it and are happy with it, or the recipient really appreciates it, then that's what counts. There is no magic formula really.

I have one card in my gallery that got a lot of views very quickly and I still wonder why. I mean, I like it myself, but I have no idea why it go the attention it did. It could have been a search word that was something a lot of people were looking for at the time - I'll never know!

Commenting here isn't what it used to be. Back in 2007, when I first uploaded to my gallery here, I was shocked and amazed that in a matter of minutes or hours there'd be a ton of views and comments. It was really quite heartwarming. People's attention and time are just spread too thin these days.
Reply With Quote Likes