Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-31-2023, 04:37 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,123 Likes on 505 Posts
Default How do you keep it all clean?

We received this question from a site visitor:

"I am doing some major cleaning and wonder how those of you who have a lot of supplies keep them clean. Every marker and bottle has a layer of dust."

Share your tips and routines!
Vincent Van Gogh

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2023, 03:44 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Popping in here.... I have the same issue & have been thinking on this for sometime. There REALLY isn't a way around this one. LOL But, what about covers? To be able to see your products, you'd have to have clear vinyl covers. Remember the "old" covers for mixers, & toasters in the kitchen? This would take some time & effort, & you'd need a bit of sewing skills to accomplish this. But, that is all I've been able to come up with. I am surprised that more companies haven't come up with something for everyone. I do know, Spellbinders offers covers to keep their Die Cutting Machines dust free & they are made of canvas. Of course, for each of us, HOW we store our product is VERY INDIVIDUAL so it might be more difficult than we would think.

P.S. It's like having covers on your couch. Do you like that or not? For me I don't. So, I have to deal with the dust! LOL

Last edited by TLady; 02-01-2023 at 03:46 AM.. Reason: Wanted to add the P.S. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by TLady:
Chinocookie (02-01-2023), Donna E (02-01-2023), leibetty (02-02-2023), pepperann (02-05-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 03:50 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 16 Likes on 1 Post
Smile And... What if Time and Ability is a problem?

In December, I decided to gift myself with a clean craft room. Due to health issues, cleaning had been neglected. I mean... you cannot let just *ANYONE* touch your stash, right? Seriously, if you cannot hire someone to help out, here's what I did:

These days, my activities can only be accomplished in one-to-three minute increments, including crafting; so big projects can feel daunting. I decided to dust everything in my room, figuring it would take about 6 months (smile). Beginning in the corner, top shelf, I took a few things down, dusted them and put them back. BUT THEN, I realized those items had not been used for at least 5 years! So I began purging as I dusted. Ever so slowly, my wall of shelves was dusted and "purged".

Anything I thought would sell in a thrift store, was marked so the workers would know what the items were. But then a teacher-friend asked if she could have everything. That made it even easier for me. (Formerly, I would sell unused items). Working in one-to-three minute increments, I "purged" two car loads of items from the room, dusting each self as I progressed. Good quality microfiber cloths were the best way to catch every bit of dust. In the process, many items were placed into plastic containers with lids. No, the containers are not all matchy-matchy pretty. But with the Brother Label Maker, every container, every ink pad, every drawer, every stamp set, was labeled. Somehow, a dozen MORE carefully-labeled, plastic shoe box containers were in the room than BEFORE the purging began!

It's such a pleasure playing in my room now. If I need to find anything and I cannot remember where I put it, I can stand in the middle and look around, reading the labels. The longest chore (and the last one done) was dusting my ink pads and re-inkers. Just determine to do it, and accomplish it in small increments of time so you won't become overwhelmed. It actually takes me less amounts of time, with less physical pain and fatigue, when I don't look at the entire project at once. Instead, I concentrate on one spot, do what I can, leave it, and come back to it.

Because I am seriously disabled, friends have asked me how I keep things orderly. When I explain my "one-to-three-minute increment manner" of accomplishing any task in our home, they become encouraged as well. I mean, any small amount of dusting is better than no dusting at all, right?

I will dust again every 3 months, repeating the same process (one section at a time in small increments of time) to prevent this catastrophe from happening again (giggle). It will be easier because most items are in containers, making it more convenient. Individual wood stamps that are not in containers, and ink pads will be the bane of the dusting, but I'll just get started and do it. Perhaps determination is my best motivation. Hope this tidbit helps someone else!

Last edited by Donna E; 02-01-2023 at 03:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 16 users liked this post by Donna E:
Arlene_C (02-01-2023), Chinocookie (02-01-2023), dancingpurplecat (02-01-2023), DianeinSparks (02-01-2023), dickiebutts (05-10-2023), fl_beachbum (02-01-2023), gobarb26 (02-01-2023), hoptownracer1 (02-01-2023), leibetty (02-02-2023), lynkim (02-01-2023), pepperann (02-05-2023), smhtwin (02-02-2023), SoBelle (02-01-2023), sophmad (02-01-2023), wavejumper (02-01-2023), wilber9500 (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 04:57 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I try to keep things in drawers. I also cover my rolling carts and open containers with baby blankets from when my adult children were babies. I lay them over the tops of the top shelf containers and rolling cart. Ideally, I want to replace all my uncovered containers with covered ones. I have also started a big purge to clear out my larger drawer units so that I can transfer some of my uncovered supplies. I have a dog that sheds A LOT, and a little bit of Henry is always close at hand.

I also do a "spring cleaning" every 5 or 6 months. It gives me a chance to clean everything and get rid of what I don't use. In December I filled 2 medium-sized boxes for donations.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 5 users liked this post by Scrapjanny:
Donna E (02-01-2023), jeanne3579 (02-01-2023), smhtwin (02-02-2023), sophmad (02-01-2023), Teachybaby (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 06:31 AM   #5  
Inking Addict

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

What dust?
I am doing that tomorrow. Too much in cleaning the kitchen. My ink pads are located in wooden cassette racks. Other items are stored in plastic containers that I cannot cover. If something is out of sight, then I forget about them. I have a spinning rack for pencils and pens. I use a cleaning duster from Office Max. I use it and it is a big help. However, with asthma then I need to wear my mask.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by dickiebutts:
Donna E (02-01-2023), TLady (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 09:57 AM   #6  
Glitter Queen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I purchased some Media Storage bookcases through IKEA and then put refrigerator storage boxes in to store Ribbon, Ink pads, cardstock and punches. My punches are the folding-up ones, so they stack, and my inkpads stack as well. This way, I don't have any problems with dust...
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
jeanne3579 (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 10:26 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 247 Likes on 133 Posts

The large majority of my supplies are in drawers. Those that are on shelves are larger items in baskets that slide onto the shelves. Still get dusty, but all the smaller things like ink pads, reinkers, embellishments are in plastic containers in drawers. Since I live in the desert where it is windy and dusty, dusting is my bane and I'm on a mission to de-clutter the whole house so creative time isn't spent cleaning.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by jeanne3579:
Arlene_C (02-01-2023), Chinocookie (02-04-2023), hoptownracer1 (02-03-2023), TLady (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 10:36 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
The large majority of my supplies are in drawers. Those that are on shelves are larger items in baskets that slide onto the shelves. Still get dusty, but all the smaller things like ink pads, reinkers, embellishments are in plastic containers in drawers. Since I live in the desert where it is windy and dusty, dusting is my bane and I'm on a mission to de-clutter the whole house so creative time isn't spent cleaning.
I think WHERE you live & even WHAT house play a factor in the dust issue. We live in the country now, & I used to think my house in the city was dusty, but NOT after living in the country! LOL Both houses were previously inhabited by smokers too. I think that too could play a factor. AND the way the ventilation system was put in too..... I WISH there were such a thing as a Dust Fairy! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Donna E (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 11:12 AM   #9  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,391 Likes on 521 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLadyView Post
I think WHERE you live & even WHAT house play a factor in the dust issue. We live in the country now, & I used to think my house in the city was dusty, but NOT after living in the country! LOL Both houses were previously inhabited by smokers too. I think that too could play a factor. AND the way the ventilation system was put in too..... I WISH there were such a thing as a Dust Fairy! ;)
I think you are right about this. I dust the whole house once a month or so and don't collect too much on the rag (I use microfiber cloths). My crafting supplies never seem dusty, either, and they are out in the open. I feel blessed because dusting is a chore I detest lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
pepperann (02-07-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 11:50 AM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Pencil Boxes from Dollar Tree

I use a plethora of the large pencil boxes from the Dollar Tree for small items like Stickles, rhinestones on sheets, small tools, I also use the small storage containers from Harbor Freight (a case holding 24 small snap lid containers) to hold beads, drills, sequins, and the like. Then I labeled everything!

For my mini nk pads, pens, paper and vinyl, I have some Sterlite 3-drawer units, of varying sizes (from small (6x6) to large (15x15), assorted Iris cases as well as just about every size metal tin from Tim Holtz. I found some cute covers for my Cricut Maker, Easy Press, Joy and Big Shot Plus machines on Etsy.

Basically, it I could find a box to fit something, in it went. Also sealed the window with Alien Seal Tape and hung a heavy curtain to prevent drafts and dust. (Can’t see out the window anyway because to the desk hutch!).

This way, all I have to dust is boxes and curious kitties can’t get at them to scatter things around the room!

And once again, I labeled EVERYTHING with my antique (but still trusty) P-Touch label maker or the Cricut Maker/Joy for the larger containers.

This took me many months to do, going through it one type of supply at a time until I was done. I kept like things together as much as I could and I purged at the same time and now when I need something, I know where to find it!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by sataylor43619:
Donna E (02-01-2023), pepperann (02-07-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 01:24 PM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I do need all my supplies out and visible on the shelving units I have from Ikea - if I don't see it, I don't use it. My biggest helper is using a Swiffer duster about once a month sprayed with a bit of "pledge" - I go over all my shelves and products and that keeps everything reasonably clean. I also have wine racks at the other end of my craft room so those get dusted at the same time. My tools carousel does need a deep cleaning and is overdue! I'm getting ready to sell then move so a big purge is coming which should make things easier when we do move.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by Ginny D:
bobkitten (02-04-2023), hoptownracer1 (02-03-2023), pepperann (02-07-2023), TLady (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 01:35 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 247 Likes on 133 Posts

Where you live definitely makes a difference. We used to live out in the woods, and for many years lived on a dirt/gravel road. Now we live more in the city, but backed up against a park/wash (which is quite wild), so my house is dusty. I could dust every few days and still have dust. We, unfortunately get lots of wind and dust devils around here, and we open up the many times a year when we don't need heat or air conditioning so the dust comes in.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by jeanne3579:
Arlene_C (02-01-2023), Chinocookie (02-04-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 02:36 PM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

I am in a highrise and gets tons of dust...as in, you dust now and an HOUR later there is dust again so I just stopped worrying about it. Don't even get me started about the floors...

I clean my craft storage boxes as I pull them out to use something.

I think plastic is a huge dirt attractant personally. I wipe them down with simple clean and in short order it is like I never did it. sigh

I used to think I would love to have matching fabric boxes but you cant wipe those down with a damp cloth so no.

Kudos to people who purge regularly!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 7 users liked this post by wavejumper:
AScrapofKindness (02-03-2023), Chinocookie (02-04-2023), hoptownracer1 (02-03-2023), jeanne3579 (02-01-2023), pepperann (02-05-2023), shirlb19 (02-01-2023), TLady (02-01-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 05:31 AM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dust and small places

Whenever I have a small place to dust and get in and around something, I use different size paint brushes. They get into all the hard to reach places. Sometimes if you slightly damp them or put some dust spray on them, that will help too. My other suggestion is to keep them in clear containers. I get ones that are stackable so that I only have to worry about dusting the top one if it's not open. Clear shoe box containers work great. there are so many options out there now for clear containers with lids. I saw a really nice assortment the other day at TJMaxx in the basket section. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2023, 04:29 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Received 306 Likes on 142 Posts

I live in a desert area of Southern California where every day at Noon and again around 5pm the wind picks up, bringing the outdoors inside. Logic tells me the war is lost, but my heart still moves me to take up a small battle every few days, tackling flat surfaces. Most of my attention takes place as I work -- making sure no cat fur finds itself stuck to my markers, brushes, stencil mediums, adhesive tape, or the rag I use to clean the stamps after use.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by AScrapofKindness:
hoptownracer1 (02-03-2023), pepperann (02-05-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 07:20 PM   #16  
Glitter Guru

Received 864 Likes on 515 Posts

Every card i make includes at least one cat hair! lol...so you are doing excellent Lercy! I actually have some litter boxes in my craft room, so I've noticed the kitty litter I use makes a difference. I bought a bucket of Tidy Cat the other week, and I noticed the dust from it bothers me more than the Arm and Hammer Slide litter I usually get. I don't usually notice dust from the Slide litter. My craft room has to double as a kitty room too, as I have five cats. I like to store most of my stuff in clear containers, so I can see it, and I have several of those storage drawer thingies with wheels to hold stamps and my Cricut supplies. I have to see my stuff, or I won't use it either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2023, 03:52 AM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
We received this question from a site visitor:

"I am doing some major cleaning and wonder how those of you who have a lot of supplies keep them clean. Every marker and bottle has a layer of dust."

Share your tips and routines!
All of my supplies are in something: I have Elfa drawers (from The Container Store), paper drawers (Best Products) and a variety of little plastic boxes and craft holders from everywhere else. Everything is grouped and stacked or stashed so that the dust settles on wipeable, flat surfaces instead of hundreds of nooks and crannies. Plus, it helps me keep my chaos under control so I don’t stifle my creativity.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2023, 01:27 PM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark II reactivator is really helpful for cleaning rubber stamps. A plastic container might be best if you are having issues with dust build up though. You can find Sterilite watertight containers at walmart for a very affordable price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2023, 03:41 PM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 244 Likes on 130 Posts

The majority of my supplies are behind cabinet doors, so dusting isn't really an issue. Some items are in sterilite clear sweater boxes. My Copics are in horizontal racks on my stamping table, but honestly, I never find that I must dust them. We do have wind here, but I do keep an eye on the H/A/C filter as a result. Only my plastic bins of cling-mount and photopolymer stamp sets are in a bookshelf. What I dream of is a sweet & patient purge-fairy.
Reply With Quote Likes