Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-28-2008, 03:54 AM   #41  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by auntdebeeView Post
When you go to a home decorating type party or a candle party, do you have to pay for her time, gas, and sharing her ideas? Not to mention all the goodies and door prizes they give away? I have never been invited to a Pampered Chef demonstration and been asked to pay for the food I eat. If I am invited to a "party" of any kind I do not expect to have to pay for being invited. I am doing THEM a favor by showing up so they can hawk their goods to me.
I have to respectfully disagree with you. Home decorating parties are different. Being a former demo; I know that it takes a lot of time to prep for the party/workshop/etc. You don't have to prep too much for a decorating party. You pack it, travel, unpack, talk about it, pack it, travel home and unpack it again. You don't have to spend time finding or coming up with ideas for projects. Then cutting the card stock and other preparations. Then you demo with the supplies you paid for. And the discount you receive basically pays for shipping and state taxes. I never made anything off of the parties I did and usually I lost money.

Please keep in mind demos that are just starting out have a harder time competing with demos with a larger customer base that receive more income from overrides and a downline. And every demo has the option to run her business the way she chooses.

It also sounds like some people are also confused by the difference in different types of events. If I knew I was attending a class and I was not expected to purchase products, I would gladly pay.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 04:36 AM   #42  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my .02:

A 'workshop' to me is a 'party'....I don't charge for those and mine are totally hands on....sometimes 2 sometimes 3 projects. I only keep the hostess benefits if I'm hosting in my home, if someone has contacted me to hostess in their home, they get the hostess bennies and I get my commission.

A 'class'....I charge a fee as they are doing something a bit more complicated and I usually provide directions so they can replicate the project(s) at home. Sometimes I get orders, most times I don't. If I get enough sales to total a 'workshop', I keep the hostess bennies to replenish my supplies.

A 'club'....the 'members' are comitting to a certain amount each month and each month there is a different hostess. The hostess gets the bennies...that's why the set amount each month....enough to total a minimum workshop so the hostess gets the bennies.

An 'open house'.....I'm just trying to get my name out there. Usually a small make & take, but I don't expect sales and I usually don't get any.

HTH the OP.

Last edited by calgramma; 08-28-2008 at 04:37 AM.. Reason: ETA.....each demo runs her business her way! There is no right or wrong, as long as you follow SU! rules
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 04:40 AM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would never charge for a project at a home party! I do charge for classes, which are totally different, people sign up and their is no obligation to buy stuff, just come, pay the fee and make the projects, no catalog look through, etc. But at a home party it's a simple one project deal and there is more focus on looking at product, the catalog, etc. but I'd never charge for that.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 04:42 AM   #44  
Crimping Master

I pay fees for workshops as well as charge for workshops. If its a party there really should not be a fee. Usually orders from the party are enough.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 05:12 AM   #45  
Matboard Maniac

When my demo has a workshop, there is always a charge. It's usually $10 unless we're making 20-25 cards, then it's $20. I have no problem paying for these because I'm using her materials and take into the consideration the time she has to put into getting ready for the class (supplies, cutting paper, etc.).

Whenever I've hosted a party or been invited to a party, they have always been free.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 05:22 AM   #46  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by calgrammaView Post
Here's my .02:

A 'workshop' to me is a 'party'....I don't charge for those and mine are totally hands on....sometimes 2 sometimes 3 projects. I only keep the hostess benefits if I'm hosting in my home, if someone has contacted me to hostess in their home, they get the hostess bennies and I get my commission.

A 'class'....I charge a fee as they are doing something a bit more complicated and I usually provide directions so they can replicate the project(s) at home. Sometimes I get orders, most times I don't. If I get enough sales to total a 'workshop', I keep the hostess bennies to replenish my supplies.

A 'club'....the 'members' are comitting to a certain amount each month and each month there is a different hostess. The hostess gets the bennies...that's why the set amount each month....enough to total a minimum workshop so the hostess gets the bennies.

An 'open house'.....I'm just trying to get my name out there. Usually a small make & take, but I don't expect sales and I usually don't get any.

HTH the OP.

This is exactly what I did when I demoed and how I interpreted each distinction. I would always state up front/have signups for any classes that were going to be held. I would never charge money to people at a home party unless they were recurrent customers that wanted to have a class and it was a step above the usual intro workshop kind of projects.

OP - It is possible the demo you experienced has various options and the hostess requested something more complicated. If you hosted a party using this same demo you might ask her what she have for options. If she doesn't have anything you feel comfortable with or refuses to do something you feel comfortable with you know you have many other SU demo options out there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 05:24 AM   #47  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Here's my .02:

HTH the OP.
Herin lies the problem. As a non demo a "workshop" is like a class and would generally have a cost associated with it. A "party" is just that! A Party! If I host a party (and I have hosted several of them--just ask my friends) I would be horrified if the demo asked each person for a fee. The whole point of it is to share the product and hopefully a portion of the attendies will purchase something.
I personally don't think there should be a fee for parties. Workshops and classes--yes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 05:35 AM   #48  
Glitter Guru

SU! uses the terms 'workshop' and 'party' interchangeably. Any 'party' in a customer's home is called a workshop, in the demo handbook. A 'class' is just that...you pay a fee and 'learn' something. Now, there is another thing called a 'Stamp-a-Stack'...you pay a fee (anywhere from $10-25 for mine) and you stamp anywhere from 12-20 cards. But, each demo is different in the way she runs her business...you just need to find one that 'fits' your definition of things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 05:46 AM   #49  
Mad Swapper

Hello Everyone,

I've been a SU demo for about 6 months now and have not hosted a workshop, class, party, or anything yet. I first wanted to get my feet wet and learn about SU's terms, conditions, lingo, and such. Now I feel I can answer a question without looking like a total idiot. So now I am starting to look into offering "classes/workshops".

I am not interested in asking people to actually host a party. I think the area I live in and the people I associate with in different circles have been to enough, partylite, pampered chef, tupperware, and all the other home sales businesses. And they get turned off by being invited to a "party" knowing they are expected to spend money so that the hostess can get free stuff. I myself have turned down going to at least 3 of these in the past year.

However, most of the people I have come in contact with wouldn't mind attending a class/workshop where they pay a fee and come away with a set of cards, a decorated tin, or a 6x6 scrapbook. I think that is where I am going to start focusing on with my SU business. Not asking people to be a hostess. But just offering different classes/workshop where they pay a fee, learn something new, and walk out with a cute something and instructions on how to duplicate if they want. If it leads to orders, great. I didn't join SU in hopes of it paying my car note and mortgage.

I know this was long, but as I was reading all the posts it made it all clear to me what people are expecting when they come in contact with a SU demo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 06:11 AM   #50  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

The demos in my area do one of a few things...

-Charge about $15 for a total hands-on workshop. People NEVER complained about paying that fee PLUS supplies at Michaels. I don't see why inviting someone into your own home where you provide them with everything for the project and often snacks, etc. should be perceived differently. I consider that class fee paying not only for supplies, but the preparation time, and it's a bit of a fall-back for the demo if no one does end up buying anything. It's not about the actual cost of the cards. I found personally that whenever I charged for a class, I would get ZERO sales. When I stopped charging for classes, there was hardly an increase in sales, and I lost out even more. Instead of getting $10 a head, I sold one or two $35 stamp sets.

-Stamp clubs- obviously we all know how these work. A contract of sorts, stating you'll buy 20-25 dollars every month. These usually feature a demo or two and then a make and take.

-All Day Stamp Camps- These are usually a STEAL at $30 a day. Especially when you consider all the product used, the cost of the venue, meals, and whatnot. There are usually a few demos in on these though.

Again, I think the big thing is, too often a creative person's time is devalued. A lot of prep goes into coming up with ideas and getting the supplies ready. As well, it can be a bit of investment and a risk to order the workshop supplies needed for an event. I've only really seen the paid for workshop. It's worth it and I've never heard anyone complain at the parties.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 06:16 AM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

I didn't read all the replies, so if mine is duplicative, sorry...

1) If you know in advance she is charging and you don't want to pay - Don't go! 2) My demo's workshops ROCKED and we always made everything she showed us. It's how I learned and was worth EVERY penny. In fact, we were all bummed when she grew out of SU and stopped doing them. 3) You all used her supplies, and her home, and she spent her time coming up with the idea and teaching you, etc... right? For us, we never brought our own tools or anything, she supplied it all. She called them STAMP CAMPS!

Anyway.... NO I don't think it is a bad idea. I think it is a great idea.
And if I ever demo-ed and was good enough that people would want to pay me to teach them... I sure would. AND YOU SHOULD TOO!
em
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 07:17 AM   #52  
Rubber Obsessor

[QUOTE=javagirl984;11095596]I have to respectfully disagree with you. Home decorating parties are different. Being a former demo; I know that it takes a lot of time to prep for the party/workshop/etc. You don't have to prep too much for a decorating party. You pack it, travel, unpack, talk about it, pack it, travel home and unpack it again. You don't have to spend time finding or coming up with ideas for projects. Then cutting the card stock and other preparations. Then you demo with the supplies you paid for. And the discount you receive basically pays for shipping and state taxes. I never made anything off of the parties I did and usually I lost money.
QUOTE]

As a demo for what you guys would consider a home decorating company, I respectfully disagree. I would also say that unless you have been a demo for a company you can't really know what is involved in planning for their shows/parties. I won't go into specifics because I think it is off-topic and not really needed on this type of board, but I wanted to offer a slightly different perspective.There are a lot of differences in the companies and some of them have "useable" components as well and have costs involved..... just sharing that it can be similar issues and not to think it is a piece of cake for other companies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 08:07 AM   #53  
Mad Swapper

Where else can you go to have some fun, come home with something that you can give to friends and loved ones and be with others in a social sitation for just $5?? I think its totally fair and very reasonable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 08:30 AM   #54  
Pearl-ExPert

It's funny that this came up today, I met with a customer today who has come from the USA (we're in the UK), and she is considering signing up as a demo. She asked what demos charge the fees for at a party, is it the refreshments?
I was stunned, it seemed that her demo and some hostesses charged fees, to cover costs.

Last week I had an evening here, I charged �3/$6 and in return they made a purse with 6 3x3 cards, matted layered with stamps and punches and DPs.
They made a gift card holder, CS,DP stamps
They made a book of gift tags.
They were happy with the fee.

If I were doing a hostess party my guests would make a card and maybe a small 3D item, try a worksheet of stamp techniques and it would be free, but we don't have the party planning saturation in the UK that you have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 08:30 AM   #55  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Just thought I would put my two cents in...I don't mind paying as long as I'm getting to take things home. Most of the workshops/classes I have gone to have cost between $5-$15 and I usually end up with 12-15 cards (usually 4 each of 3 designs or 3 each of 5). This seems reasonable to me for that many cards and I learn new stuff. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 10:50 AM   #56  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Here's my .02:

Hi Gals,
7 year demo here.....I agree with the distinction above. In the SU! demo world, we don't really have "parties" they are "workshops" so I can totally see the confusion. I think a "workshop/party" to most demos is at a hostess home, therefore they are not getting the hostess bennies, just the commission. I don't charge for these, as I hope I will inspire you enough with the projects you've done (you get to do 3) to purchase your own supplies and start creating! So to me, its a business expense.

Classes are where I teach something and charge a fee for the projects made. Cost depends upon projects and of course if I'm building something into like a new fun stamp set out of the new Holiday Mini!

A club is where I've got my committed stampers for x amount of months and they know how much each month they are required to spend. And of course they are doing 3 totally hands on projects as well as getting little gifts from me.

Open house, is just that. I'm promoting myself, come have some snacks, and do a simple make and take. Hopefully, you'll book a workshop!

Hope that helps. It does seem that every other home based business calls them parties, so I totally understand where the non demo would not know.
I always try to make mine a "party!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 11:06 AM   #57  
Crimping Master

I think whatever the hostess and demo work out is fine. I did just want to throw out the fact that at my LSS, classes (for 3ish cards) cost 15-22$ and DON'T include supplies. That means you have to buy the stamps, paper etc for the class. It gets really pricey. But, they seem to do well and always have booked classes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 12:12 PM   #58  
Glitter Queen

Default Charging for Workshops

I'm pretty much a "lurker" on this board, but this thread "struck a chord" so to speak! I'm a consultant with a newer scrapbooking company and we always charge for our "workshops" - it's how our program is set up - and the fee that the customers pay for the projects goes towards the hostess sales (higher hostess rewards!)

Anyway, the reason I signed with this company is for one main reason - the workshop fee is not only encouraged, but written into the program. I was a CTMH consultant (for 7 years) and I was a TAC demonstrator (for almost 2 years) and I was one of the few that did them to try and make money - well, if you're not charging a fee, you're NOT making money (you all know it's true) - well, unless you have a huge downline...

A bit of advance hostess coaching can take care of any hesitation regarding why that fee is being charged - and I've seen the beautiful work SU! puts out - it's well worth a bit of a fee! Don't under-value yourselves!

And those of you who are customers - these ladies put SO much work into preparing for these events - adhesive alone is a killer!! Those samples aren't free! And don't think there weren't proto-types!

It doesn't matter what you call it (party, workshop, etc)- if a demo is putting together projects for her customers to complete, she should at least be recouping her costs - it's a business - and she should treat it as such. BUT she should make sure her customers know what to expect - I'm sure they'll leave happy and buying lots more.

Thanks for listening.

Linda Wiese
Neenah, WI
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 02:11 PM   #59  
Crimping Master

Here's what I do:

If it's a Stamping Party (workshop) where my hostess invites guests, there is no charge. We have a great time making several 'make & take' projects.

If they belong to one of my Gifts from the Heart Card Clubs, they only pay $15 and make 10-12 all-occasion cards. In September we'll focus on birthday cards, in October we'll start Christmas cards, an so on. There is no requirement to purchase anything.

If it's a Specialty Class I try to keep the class around $35 which will include a stamp set. In October I will be doing a "Calendar & Gift Class" and the stamp set used will be Pocket Silhouettes.

I love being a Stampin' Up! demonstrator because we can do our business the way it works best for us!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 05:22 PM   #60  
Compulsive Stamper

I am a customer. My demo does not charge for a workshop (party). She usually demos a couple of techniques and has one make and take for attendees. I appreciate that she does not charge for the materials and I know she also just considers that a business expense. I would not mind paying a fee if she deducted it from an order, but otherwise...no. I have willingly paid for both classes and stamp camps, as the projects are definitely worth it.

I have attended a CM party (one) and resented being charged $10 for one page, two strips of paper, a triangle, and one little strip of stickers. That was definitely NOT worth the fee. I did place an order that night, but you can be sure it was $10 less than it would have been had the party been free. I have since become friends with the CM demo and do attend some of her crops. She's great - I just don't agree with their policy. And, she also knows that I will use any and all products in my scrapping/stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2008, 11:36 AM   #61  
Pearl-ExPert

As I stated before I have not been a CM consultant for years but they have changed soooo much over the years as have all the companies listed. I think the companies ADVISE how each consultant should run their shows, classes, workshops are whatever but ultimately it is the consultants final decision and that should be based solely on their customers needs...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2008, 12:24 PM   #62  
Gallery Gazer

I personally think it is a great deal to make 3 cards for only $5! My demo lets us choose what kind of "party" we have, I am a member of a club, too. A regular, free "party" is where the attendees do only one project (and the demo shows 2 more, only the hostess gets to keep them.) A "workshop" will have more projects that all attendees get to do and keep, but will cost a fee. A "class" might have even more projects and cost even more. (Say 10 Christmas cards for $15 - $20 or something like that.) Most people do not choose a "class" for their club month, but many of us do choose a workshop that costs extra money.

I love asking my crafty friends to this kind of workshop (make a few cards for a fee) and I tell them they don't have to buy anything at the party because my club members have already promised to make a party for me, so my friends don't have to! I have one friend who always comes to these workshops and only buys about 1/3 of the time. I have another friend who likes these type of workshops and buys almost all the time. I can also have my teenage daughter come and pay the fee for her to make the projects when she can't afford to buy anything herself. I think it works out great for all of us! I love to have the option and I just explain it to my friends ahead of time. So far I have had no one complain about the fee, they just don't come if they don't like it! My demo has been doing this for years and it seems to work great for her!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2008, 12:31 PM   #63  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't hold in-home parties for many of the reasons listed in this thread. I only hold workshops where my customers pay $10 for 4 cards and I have speciality events throughout the year. I see nothing wrong with a small $5 fee to cover the cost of materials especially when people tell their friends "Don't worry, you don't have to order anything." What is the point of having the party then? You may not care about your hostess benefits, but how else is that demonstrator getting paid if you guests aren't ordering anything.

It is unforunate the OP had cards that were very difficult and maybe it was the doing of the hostess. I know all my customers are seasoned stampers and we do fairly complicated cards sometimes and away they go, and then I have a newbie join once in a while and the poor thing didn't know you could color the stamp with the marker. I felt bad!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2008, 12:35 PM   #64  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't mind paying a fee. But if I'm paying a fee, I will not feel obligated to buy anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2008, 12:40 PM   #65  
Gallery Gazer

[quote=SammyStamper;11120367]I don't hold in-home parties for many of the reasons listed in this thread. I only hold workshops where my customers pay $10 for 4 cards and I have speciality events throughout the year. I see nothing wrong with a small $5 fee to cover the cost of materials especially when people tell their friends "Don't worry, you don't have to order anything." What is the point of having the party then? You may not care about your hostess benefits, but how else is that demonstrator getting paid if you guests aren't ordering anything. quote]

If you are referring to my post, I do tell my guests at my CLUB parties that they don't have to buy anything at the party. My club members already will! My club members order about $50 each, my last party was over $450, so I do think my demo made about $90, correct? I was told this the first SU party I went to by my friend, the hostess and I really appreciated the lack of pressure on me to buy. I have gone on to spend thousands of dollars with the same demo, even though I didn't buy anything my first workshop! I have been stamping for 7 to 8 years now and shudder to think how much money I have spent on SU alone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2008, 12:42 PM   #66  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by thestampingstamperView Post
charge for workshops?
I went to a SU! party about two weeks ago and the demo charged $5 for supplies. She made three cards that we were way complex (not something that I would ever do) and most people lost interest because there was so much detail. I totaled up the cost for each cards supplies and there was no way that each card was over $1.50.
I used to be a demo and would never have charged money for a workshop, but I would also complain about the cost of supplies that would cut into my profit margin. When a demo adds up all of the odds and ends it can get pricey...

What do you think?
I am thinking about hosting a party, but feel weird saying, "Hey, come to my party and order stuff so that I can get the hostess benefits, and by the way it is also gonna cost you $5."
My best advice here is look for another demo to do your party. Use the demo locator. Call someone and explain the situation. A lot of demos do not charge for workshops.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2008, 12:51 PM   #67  
Stazon Splitcoast

My own demo does two separate things. A workshop/class (what is the difference?) which costs $10 to make 4 cards, and where there is NO expectation to buy anything.

She also holds the traditional stamp parties where it is free and we make one card that we can keep and I DO feel obligated to buy something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2008, 12:55 PM   #68  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I am getting a bit confused by all the different terms as well.

If I host a party where I get the credits, my demo does not charge a fee per se. She does ask for a $5 donation for supplies from people who choose not to order anything. Even if you only order a $10 stamp pad or paper, she does not ask for the supply fee. I'm fine with that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2008, 01:09 PM   #69  
Mad Swapper

I have had three different demos over the years since I've been stamping (I think it's about 7 years since I was first introduced to SU). My first time I spent $10 to go to my friend's house to make as many Christmas cards as I wanted to make using any of her supplies. She cut up all the paper, showed me how to do everything, etc. She also fed me cinnamon rolls and coffee. Then she felt kind of embarrassed when I wanted to order things from the catalog!

Since then I've attended "parties" where the demos I've had always supply cardstock, ink, stamps, etc, and we make three cards. Most of us buy, other just go to attend and never ever buy anything. The demos usually ask what type of technique we'd like to try, or offer something new that we've never done before (it's usually the same three or four of us at these parties, sometimes there are newbies interested in trying stamping out).

Lots of fun, and I buy everytime I attend the parties. But I don't see how the demo makes any money.

Last edited by wiggynine; 08-29-2008 at 01:10 PM.. Reason: fix a typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2008, 01:11 PM   #70  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurie FWView Post
I personally think it is a great deal to make 3 cards for only $5! My demo lets us choose what kind of "party" we have, I am a member of a club, too. A regular, free "party" is where the attendees do only one project (and the demo shows 2 more, only the hostess gets to keep them.) A "workshop" will have more projects that all attendees get to do and keep, but will cost a fee. A "class" might have even more projects and cost even more. (Say 10 Christmas cards for $15 - $20 or something like that.) Most people do not choose a "class" for their club month, but many of us do choose a workshop that costs extra money.
Oh! That is the difference between a class and a workshop! Sorry, I did not read far enough (didn't realize there was a page TWO when I posted!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2008, 01:34 PM   #71  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by cycworkerView Post
I am getting a bit confused by all the different terms as well.

For me, a workshop is a party. You learn things, but for the demo, the emphasis is on sales. This is the term that SU uses as well.

Then there's a stamp camp, which is more of an indepth class. Stamp camps are longer and you learn more advance techniques, beyond the basics. They require a lot of prep and usually more expensive supplies like clipboards or paint cans. For the demo, the emphasis is on teaching new techniques and creating excitement, not sales. A fee is required to cover the cost of the supplies and prep work. These usually require A LOT of prep work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2008, 04:12 PM   #72  
Polyshrink Goddess

When someone contacts me and wants to have a party/workshop or whatever they call it where they invite friends, I don't charge for the event. I will have them make 2-3 projects. An usually the guests order enough product to more than cover the cost of the projects.

I will also hold classes where there is a set fee announced ahead of time. Generally I hold these workshops in my home. And sometimes I will have a mystery hostess(es) who share in the party benefits.

Occassionally, a customer will want to host one of these classes but it in these cases it is understood upfront that there is a fee and the hostess communicates that to the guests so they understand what they are paying for before arriving.

Hope that helps.

Happy Stamping and Scrapping

rita
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2008, 04:55 PM   #73  
Gabfest Goddess

I have been to SU workshops with a few different demos. One would not charge a fee but did require a minimum $20 purchase. I don't always need $20 worth of stuff and I hated feeling obligated to do so, so I stopped going to her workshops. Another charged $5 (that was a few years ago) and my current demo charges $10, but that is applied towards an order over $25. Personally, I think that is more than reasonable. Sure, the supplies may not add up to much, but it takes time to plan and create the cards, cut all the materials, etc. My first demo said it took her about 10 hours a month to prepare for her 3 workshops. Sure, maybe she will make something on the sales, but if it's applied to the order, it all comes out. If no one orders anything, then at least she helped pay for her supplies and time. And she also supplied drinks and snacks - which cost money.

Where else can you get 2 or 3 hours of socialization and entertainment for only $10 these days? And you may even learn something new and get to take home samples. To me, that is a bargain!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2008, 05:25 PM   #74  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamper-doodleView Post
Have you ever been to a CM paty? I have ALWAYS been charged at a CM party. I think it's far to cover supplies!
I have been a CMC for almost 2 years and CM hasn't charged for its GTG's for at least two years and it could even be longer than that.

We no longer do a Make N Take-we have such a variety of products now (home decor, framing, digital) that we don't have time for the MNT.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2008, 06:54 PM   #75  
Polyshrink Goddess

As a customer for more years than I can remember, I have no problem paying for a technique class or a stamp a stack, and I think there should be a profit for the demo in there.

As a member of a club now for 2 years, granted we did not have to pay a fee for our cards, but neither did we really get anything either. Not cards that we would use (she was too busy with the rest of her life to prepare for the class until the night before or even the day of) or any perks or incentives. Consequently the club is done in November and so are all of the members.

As far as hostessing a party, no I do not expect my guests that I invite to my home to have to pay for the supplies. When I have a $500 party, I think she has made the cost of her paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2008, 04:08 PM   #76  
Pearl-ExPert

I have recently dropped out of my card group as I was finding it hard to buy SU each and every month when there are so many other stamping companies I buy from. But I still wanted to see the girls for the socialization aspect and made an agreement with my demo/bff that I would pay her $10 when I do attend. This is for the materials and her time. I still get to be part of the group, she still makes her profit from me and I go home with 3 amazing cards or items.

DT Member -Technique Tuesday, Embellish Magazine, Loonie Stampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2008, 08:12 AM   #77  
Matboard Maniac

Well, at one point in time I was helping support 4 different demonstrators.#1 was a nice lady who introduced me to SU. She fixed dinner at her house 30and we made 4 cards to take after she demo them. She was a really good cook and she charged 25. Figured it wasn't a bad deal. Dinner and lots of fun. About a year ago she started charging 30, made only 3 cards, and dinner became for of a snack. I stopped going. She was quite a distance from me and I was paying for the gas. #2 was wonderful. She charged 10 for a demo and if you ordered over 25, she only charged 5. We usually make 5 cards and she uses designer paper like crazy. We joined a club and guaransteed her we would order 20 worth. Unfortuanatelly, she has cut back due to wanting to spend more time with her family so she doesn't have a class except once every three months. She keeps us up to date about all the options for sales from SU. She always teaches at least one technique or two each time we meet. For joining the group she draws names out and that person gets the hostess benefits for that month. She provides all the food, ususally finger foods and we meet at her house. Demo 3 only does one or two projects, but only charges 5 and it is refundable with a certin amt. of orders. I also belong to a club with her for 20 a month. She is unique because she also uses a combination of the Circuit and SU to make her cards. She also layers and has come up with some unique designs. For the 20 a month you get the hostess benefits for that month also. She also gives away a small idea which could be a punch, a stamp (she gives away her non su stamps) , a small package of paper, etc. As a hostess, you bring the food, but limited to drinks, chips, and desert. The 4th demo meets us at a fellow stampers house (demo lives quite a ways out) We do usually 4 to 5 projects and each of us host the group. We eat dinner,or bruch usually. When we do go to the demos house, she fixes dinner. She charges 15, but refunds 10 if order is over 25. She also gives us 20% off one thing in the new catalog. Her stack a stacks are 25, but we make 25 cards. This group has been together so long we also meet and just bring anything we want to stamp and do it together once a month, and we meet for dinner and go to a restaurant once a month. So, I'm lucky. I get to go to a SU event at least once a week and usually twice a week. Can't begin to tell you how many thousands of dollars I've spent. Oh yes, let's not forgot ebay and split coasters I help support.
sam

sam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2008, 10:38 AM   #78  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by thestampingstamperView Post
charge for workshops?
I went to a SU! party about two weeks ago and the demo charged $5 for supplies. She made three cards that we were way complex (not something that I would ever do) and most people lost interest because there was so much detail. I totaled up the cost for each cards supplies and there was no way that each card was over $1.50.
I used to be a demo and would never have charged money for a workshop, but I would also complain about the cost of supplies that would cut into my profit margin. When a demo adds up all of the odds and ends it can get pricey...

What do you think?
Time, expertise and knowledge are valuable.

The cost of being a demonstrator can often far outweigh any profits she earns. Operating in the red is not a sound business practice, yet there are many that do so, with only a 20% base commission, and no guarantee of any sales, after investing design time, material prep time, travel time, and supply and gas expenditures, and for some, even more, in the way of babysitting fees.

I know personally the investment she has made; basically 3 make & takes is a class. And a 3 card class would run more than $10 at any retail store; I paid $12 over 9 years ago at a retail store where the topic was learning to set eyelets. We made one finished card. My only disappointment was that we weren't shown examples of other uses for eyelets in the class.

IMHO, all things considered, knowing what I know, I would have a hard time not wanting to shove $10 into a demonstrator's hands, if I got to make 3 finished projects/cards, whatever, at a workshop or party held at someone's home.

Quote:

I am thinking about hosting a party, but feel weird saying, "Hey, come to my party and order stuff so that I can get the hostess benefits, and by the way it is also gonna cost you $5."
Well, compare what you've worded above, with:
"I'm hosting a workshop/class at my house, where the demonstrator is going to teach us to make 3 cards! All the supplies and materials are advance prepared for us, and the cards are so stinkin' cute! She only charges $5 per person to teach these classes and it is such a blast! Would you like to come?"

Which do you think sounds fun and worth $5? ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2008, 11:49 AM   #79  
Die Cut Diva

My demo charges 10 dollars for a workshop and we make four cards. several of my friends come with me. I do think it is a bit pricey, but I love that I can go and not feel like I have to buy something. It is a ton of work to get everything ready, cut up and prepared for a workshop. For parties we go for free, and do 3 small/not complicated projects. For a fun night out with friends doing what i love, ten bucks is fine by me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2008, 01:01 PM   #80  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've read through the thread and all viewpoints have been interesting to me... I can understand the differing opinions.

Where I'm from, usually if you go to a "party", there is no fee involved. Classes and stamp-a-stacks have fees and I'm fine with that. I had a fabulous demo who would truly get me excited about stamping. She has since gone to a hobby status, but I continue to place the majority of my orders with her. 2 of us meet at her house every month and stamp together. We take turns bringing the lunch and we share our things with each other. Mainly it's 3 friends getting together and we have a blast!

I was invited to a scrapbooking "party" awhile back and declined going. There was a $10 fee, which was reduced to $5 if we would bring food. I was familiar with the product and was not impressed. Therefore, made the choice not to go. Also, the fact that the hostess had been to a friend's SU! party and did not buy anything because she wanted to have her own party to get the benefits. I felt it wasn't about showing the guests a good time, it was about what she could gain. That turned me off...

When I host a "party", I go all out on the food because I enjoy doing so. I enjoy the planning and entertaining guests! I invite those who are interested in stamping. I would feel badly for the demo if people just came, made their projects, took their freebies, and left. Of course I do understand that's the chance a demo takes...

Thanks to all for their responses. I have learned a lot. It's always good to learn more viewpoints than just your own!

Just Monkeying Around....
I design for: Bugaboo
Reply With Quote Likes