Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-19-2009, 02:46 PM   #41  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work and nearly all my "fun money" goes to my stamping/scrapping hobby. I've been sticking to a budget for the last 4 or 5 months and it feels really good actually.

I am also currently making a stamp inventory binder with all my unmounted and loose stamps images in page protectors. It makes it really easy to flip through and find a stamp rather than running out and buying one. I've already been able to cross two "MUST HAVES" off my list because I found something really similar in my stash.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 02:52 PM   #42  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love sales! I always cut the Michaels, Joann's and Archivers coupons when they come out but I don't always have to use them. I put them in my purse for -just in case- I go by or buy~hehe!
I do work, so I try to devote some spending money for myself. Two boys at home though, so lots of times my money goes for their needs.
Before stamping, my money went to clothes, makeup, jewelry, shoes, pedicures and nails. Now I don't do my nails or pedicures unless I do them myself. Not as fun as the salon, but it helps! I just have different priorities now, like stamping comes first! I do get my hair styled and cut, but not colored anymore. I'm kind of liking this light grey coloring that some people think is professionally done!
I like to save up for something special and try to wait for when it goes on sale.
I may overspend like a lot here are saying, but never go in debt for stamping stuff.
I try to stay within my own little budget for stamping supplies.
I am toying with the idea of trying to get a part-time job to have more money for supplies but that would take away time from doing the craft!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 02:53 PM   #43  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love your response Karen99...you are a hoot.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 03:30 PM   #44  
Forum Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 19 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mireles4View Post
I could have totally wrote this myself! My friend asked me to go out with her to a formal dinner. I was like I dont have a cocktail dress, she said pull one out of you're closet u gotta have something.. She has no idea I really did not have one. But if she asked me to pull something new & magnificent out of my stamping stash I could do that in an instant.. LMBO
This is so me - it also helps that we are empty nesters and the grandkids other grandma buys so much that I just buy small things and add to the college fund. Here are some my hints ..teehee

Spend all your time stamping so there is no need to cook and therefore no need to buy groceries untill DH starts talking about planning a revolution!! Sheesh I don't why he complains, I stamped him a card with a cupcake!

Who needs cleaning supplies if there is no time to clean (exception: stamp cleaner)

Need a fancy dress - why? on most days I "glitter" on my own

Household repairs - can't I use embossing powder & dbl stick tape?

To save on gas when running errands, make sure your trip route includes the LSS, Michaels, & Joann's
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 03:34 PM   #45  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvallthisstampinView Post
Don't buy clothes or makeup.
No manicures or pedicures.
Color your own hair.
Go out to eat only once a week.
Don't buy anything extra when you go to use your coupon. Just buy that one thing because that is how "they" sucker you into going into their stores.
It's more like "don't even go out to eat - ever!" - let your hair go gray - do your own nails!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 03:36 PM   #46  
Matboard Maniac

Budget, budget, budget....but treat yourself every now and then by using the coupons...can't go wrong with something on sale. Plus I'm "an easy to buy for person at Christmas, birthday, mother's day". My kids and hubby always know a Michael's, AC Moore, StampinUp gift card is definitely the BEST GIFT EVER.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 03:41 PM   #47  
Splitcoast DirtyDozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've kept a full-time job even after I started collecting my Social Security checks. I could probably afford to live on my SS and the little pension I get, but I wouldn't have as much fun! So, I'll probably be working till I'm 90! LOL!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 03:46 PM   #48  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyKaydView Post
It's more like "don't even go out to eat - ever!" - let your hair go gray - do your own nails!
your hair looks awesome!!! (in the photo anyway ;) )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 03:57 PM   #49  
Stampin' Fool

Actually, my strategy is to stay away from sales. I find sales make me buy things that I don't use. If I don't use it, no matter how good a deal I got it is not a good deal.

I also avoid Michaels and Joann's. I go in with a coupon and look for something to buy. Not anymore. In fact, the last couple of times I have needed something from there (wiggly eyes) I got dh to stop for me. He complained a little, but he knows it is a far smarter plan.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 04:22 PM   #50  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

I work full time and use that money to buy clothes, shoes, makeup, get my hair and nails done, stamping stuff, etc.

I buy WAY more clothes then stamping stuff so that's my real vice, and the nails, oh and tanning membership...yeah, I have bigger issues than stamping supplies, lol! :oops:

Being on DT's helps with discounts and free product, also.

I really think once you get your style and taste down as far as what does and does not work for you personally it's easier to stick to a budget and only get things you know work for you. That took me a couple years to figure out.
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 04:31 PM   #51  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpmayoView Post
I work full time and use that money to buy clothes, shoes, makeup, get my hair and nails done, stamping stuff, etc.

I buy WAY more clothes then stamping stuff so that's my real vice, and the nails, oh and tanning membership...yeah, I have bigger issues than stamping supplies, lol! :oops:

I really think once you get your style and taste down as far as what does and does not work for you personally it's easier to stick to a budget and only get things you know work for you. That took me a couple years to figure out.
That's it for me, too. I wasted a lot more money starting out, just buying random stuff that I thought I needed. Now I only buy things if I can think of specific projects that I'd use them for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 07:00 PM   #52  
Pearl-ExPert

I never realized how much I was spending until a few months ago when I started collecting all my receipts in an envelope. At the end of the month, I totaled everything up. Can we say, "YIKES!!!" I really had no idea I was spending so much! So now I stick with a budget, pay only cash (no debit card) and really try to stay out of the stores. I think I am getting smarter about my hobbies...which isn't very much fun but it is much more responsible...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 07:07 PM   #53  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I participate in the local stores' rummage sales. Usually, I get the proceeds back in store credit. (It's not usually a choice.) I will never get back the same amount of money I originally paid for things, but it does allow me to purchase newer items that I want without paying cash while cleaning out things that are taking up space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 07:39 PM   #54  
Kookie Creator

I start by stamping more and spending less. I can honestly say that the only stamp I've gotten in the past 4 months was a gift. Same goes for the paper I got. I've spent more in adhesive than I have in supplies in the last 6 months. Even that was bought with a gift certificate.

My family knows me. I get gift certificates to my favorite stores and websites as gifts. I use them frugally and when I feel the need to shop, I start with my stash. I rarely make it through one of my vertical paper storage bins before I have paper in hand and project in progress.

V
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 08:50 PM   #55  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpmayoView Post

I agree on the last paragraph. I only buy what fits me but I do have a thing for paper. I can't stand not buying new release pretty papers. URGH!

I like pretty things to wear too. My husband's happy I have a full-time job + part-time job! He doesn't get why I need another evening gown for the next gala when I have four from the four previous events in my closet still.

But despite our likes and hobbies we still live like we only have one income because we're a military family. That way when we move we'll be ok when my job goes away.

Happily designing for WPlus9 and CSS stamps, Waltzingmouse sketch, Scarlet Lime kit club, and the Digichick Card Caravan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 08:52 PM   #56  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by crafty1021View Post
I never realized how much I was spending until a few months ago when I started collecting all my receipts in an envelope. At the end of the month, I totaled everything up. Can we say, "YIKES!!!" I really had no idea I was spending so much! So now I stick with a budget, pay only cash (no debit card) and really try to stay out of the stores. I think I am getting smarter about my hobbies...which isn't very much fun but it is much more responsible...
I have a "fun" bank account. Whatever is in there I can pretty much blow every month. This is nice because I don't touch any other money and if I want something big I just wait until that money in that account grows a bit. It helps me budget without having to tally everything up.

Happily designing for WPlus9 and CSS stamps, Waltzingmouse sketch, Scarlet Lime kit club, and the Digichick Card Caravan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2009, 02:13 AM   #57  
Insane Embellisher

If you don't eat, and use that money to buy stamp stuff, then you will also lose weight too, right???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2009, 04:06 AM   #58  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmcgraw01View Post
If you don't eat, and use that money to buy stamp stuff, then you will also lose weight too, right???
Sounds like a "win-win" situation to me!

How do I afford my addiction? I am currently a SU! demo so that discount helps. I have learned to stay away from Michaels and Joanns just because I have a coupon. I do go through the Joanns flier and wait to go until they are having a big sale and then I can use most of the coupons in one trip.

It makes more sense to me to support my local LSS than to shop online; she carries a lot of brands of stamps and has a lot of choices in other tools such as nesties. Her prices are a bit higher than what I can get online. But by the time I pay shipping I have spent nearly the same and I don't have to wait for my new toys to arrive! I'm not an "elitist" - I do shop online for the things she doesn't carry plus I buy used stamps from here & Ebay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2009, 04:38 AM   #59  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 492 Likes on 309 Posts

guess I didn't realize I needed to afford it. I have a monthly stamping group and always spend more than the $30 min there plus what I buy at LSS(only small selection of stamps) and then of course planned trips to HL(hour away) to buy things not available LSS or SU and when I hit Michael's(4 hours away) maybe twice a year....I usually walk out with a large sack. Our youngest is in his last year of college and there is just the two of us basically( tution,=/fees/books/uniforms for the year was just over $1200), our house is paid for, no large debt and so life is good mostly. BUT that said, I don't buy unless I am sure I will use it-----and use it often. I sell items that were mistakes and I do my best not to fall of the "everyone is buying it, I probably should too" syndrome. I utilize my stash to the last 1/2 inch circle and plan embellishments carefully.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2009, 05:01 AM   #60  
Crimping Master

Since being laid off in January, I found I don't need to buy clothes for work. It's sweat pants and t-shirts every day, baby! I've only purchased two tops since January. So that money can go toward the necessaties - like paper, adhesive, stamps, etc! I'm also very fortunate that a new scarpbook store opened in my area in March and I've been teaching classes and helping out there, affording me a discount on purchases. I've had to be more discriminating about my purchases, not being able to get every "latest & greatest" thing coming down the pike. But I'm still able to get what I truly need and use coupons to get what I really want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2009, 06:15 AM   #61  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I only had about twenty dollars a month to spend on non-necessities each month when I started stamping as a newlywed. I always felt guilty, like I had to justify it, too.

Four years ago I signed up to be a Stampin' Up demonstrator and very shortly I was earning enough for everything I needed plus a lot I just wanted (and all of it at a discount). Now I am to the point where I can order pretty much anything I want from the catalog and not have to feel bad about it. I also get so much free stuff through being my own hostess, attending SU events, and winning incentives and the occasional contest--it's just crazy. I love being able to bless others with the over abundance of goodies.

It is an embarassment of riches. Stampin' Up has been such a blessing to me. I can't imagine ever quitting and going back to having to justify every dime I take from the family budget. It may not be the answer for some, but if your wants are always bigger than your budget, try being a demo for a bit and see what happens! You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2009, 06:26 AM   #62  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
We sell my cards at:
1. Hubbys work. Normal weeks I make $75.00-$125.00 (Holidays will make lots more)
2. Sell to TWO swim teams (provide each 1250 cards for fundraisers)
3. Provide cards to church to sell (these I donate and receive $3.00 per card write off)
In the fall when I sell the most I really make a lot of money. In Oct-Dec it is way over $5000.00. It can be very lucrative. Blessings.
Wow.. that is just amazing! How do you find time to make 1000's of cards and hold down a full time job? You're my hero! I think I can honestly say in the 5 or so years I've been stamping, I don't think I've done 1250 cards in total! That's just awesome.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2009, 07:15 AM   #63  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I make myself a budget and stick to it. If I HAVE to have something and it puts me over budget, then it comes out of next month. I only buy online when I can get free/discounted shipping. I stopped going to my local craft stores because, honestly, I was buying things I didn't need and wasn't 100% crazy about anyway. So it all ended up in the "what was I thinking" bin.

If I haven't touch a stamp set in 6 months, then it goes into my closet in a box. If I haven't gotten it out of the box in a few months after being put there, then it goes up for sale. No, you won't make a lot of money. But at least you'll get something for it, know it's going to a good home, and can spend that extra $$ on new supplies.

I've also cut myself off from buying more paper. I have such a huge stash that I really need to use. I can't see myself investing in any more paper unless I really need it for something. And honestly, when do we really NEED something?

Try to look at products in different ways. Christmas paper can often be used for Valentine's day. Fall paper makes great masculine cards all year round. Use and re-use packaging. You'll find that you probably already have more than you'll ever need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2009, 07:22 AM   #64  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a group...in the beginning we shared (still do) our stuff and stash. Then, as a product got used quite a bit by all, each would up buying their own. For example--when the Cricut came out I bought it the first day I could (store kept selling out!) and shared it with my friends...within a year everyone had bought one. Now we share the cartridges. When one buys one, the others try not to duplicate unless they really really need it--like the states for the ones with kids (we are all teachers--I am retired). We have 'library cards' i made for everyone (I bought that stamp set from SU) and for a borrowed item from someone it is listed on the card. Right now i have 5 SU sets for weddings borrowed from one lady.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2009, 07:48 AM   #65  
Die Cut Diva

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a good income and really don't need to budget per se, but I do try to limit myself. I do feel guilty sometimes about the money I spend because I could be putting the extra into my rsp's (but then again I could sell some of my stamps when(if) I retire for income). I do try to be frugal with my spending tho. I won't buy anything from Michaels unless I have a coupon (at least 40%) and only buy one thing. Luckily the store is only a couple blocks from my work, so if I need more than one thing I go a few days in a row with the coupon and buy one thing each day with the discount. I only buy online if I can get cheap or free shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2009, 08:10 AM   #66  
Stazon Splitcoast

I can easily make many thousands of cards per year because my children are all grown, my hubby travels Mon-Fri so I am home alone. I come home from work. Sometimes grab a bite..sometimes one son cooks and head to the stamp room. I am there all the time and very very happy to be there. I rarely ever cook and I have a maid. Life is soooo good. If a person were to make 10 cards per day that would be 3650 cards per year. I make far more than that on some days and some days none. I also make cards with friends on some Saturdays and Sundays so the pile grows very fast. I am assisted by others often. My two sisters make some cards for me too for the various things I support. I do not find it difficult to make the large amount of cards I make. I love seeing the cards on the shelf get bigger. I put them in the 250 count envelope boxes and keep tract on the end of the box what kind of cards and how many. I have a post it note on the door that I keep a tally. Right now my shelf is EMPTY as all the cards have gone out to be sold. Yikes..I hate an empty shelf. Looks like I best get busy tonight....lol Blessings ladies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2009, 08:26 AM   #67  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm a Stampin' UP demonstrator and my sales are pretty good each month so I can support my habit. I am not a 100% SU only demo though, I spend my earnings other places too. I am still a college student right now so I don't have any bills right now so I save some and get to spend the rest

The marry rich comment is hilarious though!! My fiance is a college senior right now, but he's got potential since he is in engineering ;) LMBO!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2009, 08:31 AM   #68  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I only buy what I am going to use.
FIr stamps I try to think of different cards I can make before actually buying that stamp. If its only 1 or 2 that I can think og then i don't need it.
I buy a little bit here and there. I plan my purchases from SU/CTMH and the stores.
Coupons and sales are a must.
For me waiting a year to buy a Bigshot as there was no way I could justify paying $100 - DH just ordered me one from Sizzix for $29.99!!! That save us $70 (sale price is now up to $64.99 again)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2009, 08:51 AM   #69  
Die Cut Diva

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Gave Up 1 Starbucks

I work in a corporate environment and my company has a Starbucks right in our cafeteria. I used to treat myself a few times a week to a caramel macchiato. When it hit me how much I was spending on them (at my company regular perked coffee is free), I decided to put the 10 bucks I might spend on macchiatos aside. Every week I get a 40 or 50% off coupon for Michaels on line. I pass the store on my way home. I can either buy one $20 item each week or a $40 item every two weeks - and it literally cost me nothing more than I was spending on coffee. After a year of this I built up a really nice bunch of punches, DP, stamps, etc. Still drinking my coffee - just opting for the free stuff now. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2009, 10:21 AM   #70  
Glitter Queen

I'm definitely on a budget (making sure my husband doesn't bankrupt us on his toys). I just started a seasonal job at AC Moore, so I'll get some extra money and a great discount. I plan on stocking up while I can get a discount and not spend too much next year other than on adhesive etc. The money I make from selling my cards helps also.
I LOVE stamping and making cards but not more than taking care of family
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2009, 12:27 PM   #71  
Gabfest Goddess

love the idea of selling cards at local stores...may have to try that....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2009, 12:45 PM   #72  
Embossing Fanatic

I live with my parents. :( Poor economy. Incredibly expensive scrapbook habit. hehe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2009, 12:46 PM   #73  
Matboard Maniac

I've found that the Stamp-to-Spend challenge here has been really helpful to keep my spending in check. I'm a SAHM, but I do some mystery shopping. That money is not part of the family budget, and goes to my stamping supplies or other extras.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2009, 01:51 PM   #74  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampingShawnView Post
Great idea! When my in-laws were staying with me (and driving me crazy) for 6 months, I bought myself a stamping supply every time I held my tonge and didn't tell my FIL to "mind his own business." Needless to say....I found myself with a whole lotta stamping supplies. LOL!
I think this is where the real money is!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2009, 03:10 PM   #75  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am lucky to have a hubby that "supports" me ... okay I am very spoiled. Do not know why he calls me "boxy" sometimes ... Maybe it was the 20+ boxes of craft goodies that came when I joined SU!? ... SU! also has begun to contribue in supporting my hobby/business.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2009, 03:46 PM   #76  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by thescrapmasterView Post
I'm a Stampin' UP demonstrator and my sales are pretty good each month so I can support my habit. I am not a 100% SU only demo though, I spend my earnings other places too. I am still a college student right now so I don't have any bills right now so I save some and get to spend the rest

The marry rich comment is hilarious though!! My fiance is a college senior right now, but he's got potential since he is in engineering ;) LMBO!!
I really did LOL at that one. My DH is an engineer and so am I. I hate to break it to you but.....we are not rich. :mrgreen: ;)

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2009, 04:31 PM   #77  
Kookie Creator

I use coupons at the grocery store and save at least 5.00 to 15.00 every time I shop for food/household items then keep the receipts and add up the savings monthly and give myself that savings to spend on stamp supplies. I also use the 40% off and 50% off coupons from Michaels, AC Moore, Hobby Lobby, and Joann Fabrics. Instead of buying something full price I wait until I have that coupon or they have it on sale. I don't pay full price on anything ever. I also try and recycle koolaid containers, etc. to store things in. I also work a part-time job which is my fun money unless I need it for emergencies. I also color my own hair which saves me 40.00 and I never get massages,manicures or pedicures which save me bundles.

NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2009, 07:31 PM   #78  
Gallery Gazer

"Originally Posted by thescrapmaster

The marry rich comment is hilarious though!! My fiance is a college senior right now, but he's got potential since he is in engineering LMBO!!"

DH is an engineer...just got laid off. ;) Not bad money, but nothing too exciting. (I'm not complaining about how much he made before, but for almost 10 years of experience it wasn't what I thought it would be by now.)

Best of luck to you fiance!

I went through the "buy everything" phase for a couple of years, then got real. I ebayed tons of stuff I would never use and was more careful with future purchases. I still have impulse purchases, but when DH got laid off I went cold turkey...no spending. It was a good thing for me. Not necessary, but a good lesson nonetheless.

Like Jimmi said...once you find your groove the cost seems to plateau. There are moments of over indulgence, but they are few and far between.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2009, 09:12 PM   #79  
Vintage Vixen

I work full-time and gave up bowling. :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2009, 09:22 PM   #80  
Kookie Creator

1) I try to always wait for the sales/coupons. Buy just what I am getting with the coupon or what is already on sale.
2) shop around, even on the internet. It's often cheaper to buy online, even with the cost of shipping (plus there's no state sales tax).
3) trade out what I am not using; Usually better to trade than to just sell it. I belong to yahoo groups that do trading of stamping/scrapping materials
4) reduce the costs in all other areas (you know those fancy things like new clothes, nice shoes, salon treatments,....); My splurge is crafting and rarely do I splurge outside of crafting.

I have also done things like taught classes, sold cards,....I try hard to keep my hobby from becoming a business (that's when it is no fun anymore); I would rather make 25 cards and donate them to the church than make a pile of identical xmas cards for someone.
Reply With Quote Likes