Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-11-2010, 11:56 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do other companies match up to SU!?

I've been stamping for about six years now, and I've never used any other companies CS, ink or DPs (other than Gina K has a fabulous white cardstock). I'm looking to expand on my choices and wonder how other companies choices compare to SU! - are there some that match SU!s color choices better than others, or not at all? Is the quality of the cardstock the same or close to?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2010, 12:54 PM   #2  
Inking Addict

Kimi - Hi, I'm Gini - ha!
I have found that Paper Source (paper-source.com), has card stock that seems to be of the same quality and style as SU. Some of their colors are almost identical (their Khaki is a dead-ringer for the new "Crumb Cake", for instance, and their Chartreuse is close enough to SU's old Kiwi Kiss, to make no nevermind - lots of others that I'll let you discover for yourself) - but the real draw is that they have matching envelopes for all their colors of CS - and lots of SIZES of envelopes! Wow - what fun to send colored envelopes - and different sizes of cards!
They also have quite a few rubber stamps - but they're pretty much all singles, and one of the things I really like about SU is that whole "stamp set" thing that they do so well! But all things considered - they're worth a gander.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2010, 02:06 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Great question. I wonder that too once in a while. I have tried some other companies though. I tend to like the more unique, artsy style stamps so have many different companies I buy from. But I do love the majority of the SU stamp sets. Just don't like being limited to just them. Many are just way to cutesy for me.

Now for paper - I have not tried "Paper Source - but it sounds like a good place to check out.

I can say that I run consistent orders from PaperTrey - I LOVE LOVE their cardstock and their colors seems to be deeper and richer than SU cardstock. Plus the cardstock is firmer and holds up so much better than any other cardstock I have tried out for bases. That being said, I also buy SU's cardstock because of the matching inks etc. I have also tried Gina K's cardstock - based on comments here. I think it is a bit too thick for me to use for card bases - however - I love to make 3-D items - and then I always use Gina K's cardstock for most of my 3_D projects.

It is always great to hear from others on the companies they love and why... I like to try out new products.

Oh - almost forgot - I LOVE LOVE LOVE "Memory Box" printed patterned papers! I have more of then than any other company. In fact, I have a standing order at my local stamp store to always get me two of any new Memory Box paper packs! They are awesome and love their style. Very nature themed, some quilt type patterns, and just a nice large variety of styles. If I had to give up all but ONE patterned paper (DSP's) source, Memory Box is the one I would keep and I know I would use more than any other company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2010, 05:58 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

thanks ladies!!!! I appreciate your input and will definitely check these companies out. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2010, 06:28 PM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it all depends on what you're looking for and why your style of stamp tastes are. I've more than a little branched out from SU's design choices and offerings. Some stamp lines I would bend over backwards to support and purchase from while others I wonder how they stay in business. A lot of people cut their stamping teeth on SU but SU tends to be limited in what they offer. It was only recently that they offered anything showing any alcohalic drinks, and I think that was just because they introduced the set Cheer to You in Europe (England - I don't know if it was offered in the other European countries where they do business) where a lot of us think of pubs, and therefore ales.

I do love SU's rubber stamps because I tend to get a better image using rubber just because that's what I'm most used to. Some companies offer clear acrylic type of stamps that I feel are okay but I personally never get a great stamped image out of. Those that offer photo-polymer type of stamps, I love and get amazing stamped images from with the ease of being able to see exactly where I'm stamping.

Like a lot of companies, SU tends to have a certain "look". Also, being an ever changing catalog line, you can't always depend on getting certain SU supplies. Some companies rarely retire stuff, so getting items you want is easier and more consistent. So, again, it's all about what you're looking for from your stamping company and your particular stamping style. Personally, I've grown away style-wise and in some respects, quality-wise from SU. They offer very little anymore that fits into my stamping style and the don't offer some of the colors/supplies that I use. You also have to determine just how much you're willing to pay for your supplies. With some of the last several years' SU price increases, they've priced themselves out of what I'm willing to pay. You have to ask yourself how much you're willing to pay for your stamping craft.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2010, 06:49 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

I use a lot of SU products, stamps and otherwise, but I have branched out a bit in the last year or two. For a while I didn't like much of their stamps, but since they started offering unmounted and did their color revamp, I'm seeing a lot I'd like to get. I'm really starting to like their minis again.

However, as far as other companies go, I'm a big fan of Gina K. Designs. She has some incredible designers, and offers a lot of stamp sets that I feel fill in some gaps where SU is lacking. The designs just fit my personal taste. The white cardstock is the best, and her colored cardstock is great too. It's thicker than SU cardstock, which means you may want to invest in a good scoring tool if you use it. They have some colors that I feel that SU is lacking a bit, such as some beautiful pale colors, including lavender. They also have a beautiful sprucey Christmas green, which will be a good replacement for the loss of Handsome Hunter for me.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2010, 03:54 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

How do CTMH ink pads and markers compare with SU's? They have some that look similar to Summer Sun. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2010, 03:26 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

bump. Wonder how all you would compare ctmh ink pads & markers with su! ink pads and markers. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2010, 07:57 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Snowkat that is a good question about the markers and inks. I too, would like to know what other's think.

I got the SU markers - the whole "enchilada" within the past year. I liked them - and I still do like the ones that work! But even tho I have faithfully stored them on their sides all of the time, in the big case... many of the markers only work on the broad end. I just can't get any ink to come out of the fine tip. Has become very frustrating to me! I am wondering if I made a big mistake here. I do love that the colors match well with their papers, and I did like that I had both fine and broad tip markers in one pen. But with the fine tips rarely working - that is no longer a plus for me.

I have many of their inks - but since I got hooked on the Distress Inks, it is hard to go back to the SU inks! I use many different brands of ink - seems one must have many different kinds to be able to stamp on almost anything! I use my stamps on fabrics, vellum, shrink plastic, water coloring, etc. and seems you needs many kinds for successful stamping.

I love Versa Fine for details or small wording stamps - it is the only ink that I have been able to use successfully for little details.
Reply With Quote Likes