Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-25-2007, 06:37 AM   #1  
Gallery Gazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can you bear to part with your cards?

I see some amazing cards on here and I was wondering, how do you part with them? So much time, effort and heart go into creating these cards.

This hobby is still very new to me, so maybe that's why it's difficult for me to make a card and then send it off. I'm so used to scrapbooking where I can create something beautiful and then I get to keep it. Maybe I'm too selfish? :mrgreen:

Please tell me how you part with your cards. Do you make duplicates? Do you keep an example of each one so you can re-make it in the future?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2007, 07:12 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

That's exactly what I do.....I keep an example of each one I make. In fact, when I am making cards I like to make 5 or so of each card. That way, I have them handy when I need them (especially sympathy, get well). All my examples go into a book and then on an index card I write down to whom I gave that card, so I don't give them the same one twice.
I am a hoarder by nature, so it is particularly difficult for me to give up swap cards - even if the stamps are retired and I don't even own the set!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2007, 07:39 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenguinView Post
That's exactly what I do.....I keep an example of each one I make. In fact, when I am making cards I like to make 5 or so of each card. That way, I have them handy when I need them (especially sympathy, get well). All my examples go into a book. I am a hoarder by nature, so it is particularly difficult for me to give up swap cards - even if the stamps are retired and I don't even own the set!
This is what I do also. Am trying to take pictures of each card/atc I make also. I put a little post-it note inside my 'master' to keep track of whom they have been given to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2007, 09:37 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

I never give away the original card....I just make another one if I want to give it to someone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2007, 09:45 AM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 94 Likes on 52 Posts

I either scan or photo every card and keep in a file on my computer. I never keep them. I either send them out for occasions or sell them for charity in my office. I can always recreate anything I have made so why keep it in storage. "Creating" the card is the big attraction for me. After it is done I am on to the next one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2007, 09:49 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've given away a number of "Limited edition 1 of 1" designs. I dunno--I just love the idea of sending love from me in the mail to a friend.

I try to photograph everything I make, tho, so that I have a record of it, for future reference. So, I never have a hard time giving them away! :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2007, 10:06 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

I scan anything I do ( or get as a rak or swap) but after that, I have trouble giving them to MOST of my friends and family....it is much much easier and more comforting when they go to someone you KNOW will appreciate them ( ie, not my MIL)...so any of my faves are usually raks or to my small stamping group here.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:11 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I make so many cards that they would be over-running my house if I didn't give them away. But I do remember having that feeling in the beginning, too, because I started with scrapbooking. But that's why I photograph everything. It's a way of still keeping it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2007, 10:11 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Thanks for the ideas!

I guess I'm afraid that people won't "cherish" them like I do. ;) Plus I am a hoarder. Yep, that's me. A sentimental, selfish hoarder. LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2007, 10:17 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

It will get easier - how many cards and stamped items can you keep around? (yes, I have them everywhere!)
Actually, I used to feel a bit like that, but once I started sending them away it felt good - after I got over the loss. LOL
I also sell them at my office so the extra cash allows me to buy more 'stuff' and therefore make more 'stuff'.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2007, 11:39 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

For me, I create a card specifically for someone, and I enjoy thinking that they will appreciate the effort I put into it. And for the folks that won't care and will toss the card right away, well... they get store-bought cards. ;)

For some casual friends, I might make them a handmade birthday card but not buy them a gift. I consider the time & effort I put into the card as their gift.

Of course my feelings may change if I get into these card swaps. In that case, I'll probably take pictures or scan the cards before giving them away in a swap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2007, 12:16 PM   #12  
Watercolor Wizard

I take a picture of each card before it gets sent/given.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2007, 12:20 PM   #13  
Splitcoast DirtyDozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittie747View Post
I either scan or photo every card and keep in a file on my computer. I never keep them. I either send them out for occasions or sell them for charity in my office. I can always recreate anything I have made so why keep it in storage. "Creating" the card is the big attraction for me. After it is done I am on to the next one.
I did that too. However, I just had a computer crash -- I hadn't backed up everything on my hard drive. My son is trying to retrieve my files, so I might get them back. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2007, 12:22 PM   #14  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClownmomView Post
I did that too. However, I just had a computer crash -- I hadn't backed up everything on my hard drive. My son is trying to retrieve my files, so I might get them back. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Oh how horrible! Sure hope he can retrieve your files! I know I don't back up as often as I should. This reminds me that I should go and do that NOW!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2007, 12:24 PM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I usually make cards with giving them away in mind. I always take a picture of them before I send them off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2007, 01:04 PM   #16  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

When I first started making cards, it was kind of difficult to give them away. But the more you make, the easier you will find it is to part with them. There are a few that I keep just for me, but the vast majority of them get sent. I agree with Kittie upthread -- the joy is in the making. I always have my gallery here to visit them whenever I want. As for what the receivers do with them? I don't worry about that too much. Once it's theirs, it's theirs to do what they want with (but I do have one of those stamps from River City Rubberworks that says 'This better not go in the trash.' I haven't used it in a while, but maybe I'll pull it out as I'm thinking of it! ;) )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2007, 01:08 PM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

I'm making a set of monogram cards for my Grandmother. I know she will love them no matter how they turn out. These I have no problem giving away. And you are right, the joy is in the card making process.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2007, 01:27 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

*trying to imagine what it would be like if I didn't give my cards away* Oh yeah, the pile that's currently sitting on top of my printer would be MUCH bigger! And it's pretty big now.

I figure that if I love the card, someone else will too and it's the thought of making someone smile that has me letting go of cards. Otherwise, I'd run out of room to store them.

I also take a picture of almost every card that I make. The only cards I haven't taken pictures of are the ones that I'm sending to my Secret Sister for VSN. No picture - no temptation to post it in my gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2007, 01:32 PM   #19  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

It's easier to do, now that I take photos to post...then send them on to family and friends. If I like it a lot, I will sometimes make one to keep (at least for a little while).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2007, 01:56 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I keep some samples, but I give most away. I've made card boxes for my kids, my mom, and my aunt (video/photo boxes embellished paper, chipboard, ribbon, etc.). Any card they get from me, they keep in their card box. My mom, aunt and daughters like to go through them occasionally. My sons, well....maybe someday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2007, 02:57 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

I give all of mine away. The ones I'm most proud of (99 percent of them!) i take a photo and place in a little "brag book" photo album. On the back of each photo I write the recipe and dimensions etc and who I sent it to and the date/year I did. Once I made a glittery birthday card with a fancy birthday cake that came out so great I made a half-dozen and sent them to all my teenage and 20-something girl cousins throughout the year. I love the thought that someone will see the envelope come in the mail and see my return address and know it's a handmade card from me and get so excited. I love to make all my loved ones happy, and knowing they appreciate my hard work makes me want to send them my very best ones!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2007, 03:13 PM   #22  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen70View Post
I make so many cards that they would be over-running my house if I didn't give them away. But I do remember having that feeling in the beginning, too, because I started with scrapbooking. But that's why I photograph everything. It's a way of still keeping it.
Ditto:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2007, 04:30 PM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I make only one of each design, but I upload almost everything I make to SCS.
As for letting them go....the more I send away or sell, the more I can make! Creating a card is the joy of this hobby for me. If they started to pile up, I'd find it difficult to justify making more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2007, 04:57 PM   #24  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I send most of my blank cards to the troops. I know that when he/she writes out that card and sends it home to a loved one, that card will be treasured forever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2007, 05:40 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I wish I could give mine all away, but DH is the one who can't bear to part with the ones he likes (no matter who it's for), so I either have to make a similar one or make one that I know he won't want, but that hopefully, the recipient would still want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2007, 05:47 PM   #26  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,391 Likes on 521 Posts

I always give away my cards. It gives me no joy to hoard them. I use them for occasions and I also give them in bundles as gifts. I get so many excited compliments on them that it makes me excited to create more to give away. By far, people love that I handmade them. Being an SU! demo, I have quite the stash (from parties and classes) and pretty soon I'll be bundling a bunch up to give as teachers' gifts. I can't wait!

Believe me, when you experience the reactions I've gotten, you'll LOVE giving your cards away! You'll feel so blessed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2007, 05:50 PM   #27  
Hot Mess

I sell most of mine along with sending them to people. I usually make 2-10 of each keeping 1 for myself and selling or giving away the others!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2007, 06:11 PM   #28  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

For me, the point of making cards is to give them to people to brighten their day. Therefore, I make them with the idea in mind that I am giving them away. That said, I keep one (just one!) photo box where I keep masterpieces/designs that worked really well I want to repeat/technique samples etc. That way, the really special ones I can't bear to give away get a place, but I don't hoard a ton. If the box gets full though, I have to give one up to put a new one in!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2007, 06:23 PM   #29  
Mad Swapper

I am exactly like Anemone. I always make 2 - one for the recipient and I keep the master copy. That copy goes into a shoe box and once its full I have to get rid of one to put a new one in. I also take picture of those that I make and every few months of so I will download them onto a CD. Crazy I know but I guess that's sort of hoarding as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2007, 06:30 PM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittie747View Post
Ditto!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2007, 06:32 PM   #31  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I'll bet in the beginning we all had a hard time parting with our cards! It helped when I started uploading to SCS and I'd have a photo both here and on my computer. Like others, it's the process of creating I enjoy the most and once I send off a card I look forward to starting the next one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2007, 06:56 PM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

I find it gets easier to give them away over time. I have saved every one that I've gotten, but not that I've made. I keep them in a photo album.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2007, 06:56 PM   #33  
Stampin' Fool

I'm sitting here laughing because I thought I was the only one who didn't want to give away cards. I usually make a few cards and send off one of them. I am going to have to get a better system for the cards I keep. Even though I take a pic of all the cards I make and store in my computer I still like having a "hard copy". I just can never find the one I want when I want it.:confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2007, 07:30 PM   #34  
Proud Fan Club Member

>>Creating" the card is the big attraction for me. After it is done I am on to the next one
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2007, 08:30 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClownmomView Post
I'm having the same problem. I scan or photograph every card, but I got seriously behind on uploading to SCS or my other storage site and now the computer has crashed as far as uploading or burning a CD. So, even tho I can use the computer (sometimes yes, sometimes no) my pictures and cards are stuck in limbo. Wish I had a family member who could retrieve them!

Oh yeah, and I am a serious hoarder too. I only send the ones I really love to people who will appreciate them. Don't you just want to scream (or cry) when someone just tosses the card you slaved over aside?
One of Kota's Kids
Too Blessed to be Stressed
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2007, 12:12 AM   #36  
Crimping Master

ive sold most of my christmas cards and ive gotten good money for them (400$)so that makes if worth it to me :=)but there are some cards i just keep to my self ,i like them to much
Reply With Quote Likes