Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-14-2008, 05:13 AM   #81  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
cindy501.......I believe you are paying shipping and tax on the Hostess items you choose and also on the free merchandise.

Please, someone who knows, correct me if I'm wrong.

Patti
You pay 10% (or $6.95) - whichever is greater - S&H on merchandise that you order and tax on the total of two (in WI, anyway - other states may be different). Hostess benefits are not charged S&H, but they are taxed in WI. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 05:17 AM   #82  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by cindy501View Post
Hmmm...that's interesting. I'll have to ask my demo about that. Does that mean that the amount of the free merch gets added with your order total then taken off the back end after the tax and shipping is totaled but then how how do they figure in the price of the hostess set to add the tax and shipping? Worth checking into though, since there really isn't anything such as a "free lunch." Thanks.
Not totally sure how it works, since Virginia does not charge tax on S&H fees, but it's something that's automatically calculated by the system based on the address where the package is being shipped. I'm pretty sure that SU! does assign a dollar value to hostess stamp sets relative to similar ones for sale in the catalog, probably for this very reason.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 05:34 AM   #83  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnsyrView Post
Just remember that all companies are making sure that their costs--including shipping--are covered. If you've been to your LSS and priced individual rubber stamps, you know that SU! is a bargain--especially with the coordinating sets!

I don't like the 10% shipping (and tax on top--required by almost every state to tax shipping, which seems outrageous to me!), but there it is. Better to have it out in the open than hidden. When you get "free" shipping, you have paid for it--believe me!

Acrylic stamps do cost less than rubber--and the quality is less, too. Let me share this great webpage by a company that makes and sells both rubber and acrylic stamps: http://www..com/Techn...ar-stamps.html

SU! may not do free shipping, but they do things like the current 15% off a bunch of new sets--that can cover your shipping! They also do free sets, etc. They don't charge shipping or taxes on free items.HTH!

This is an excellent point. Some companies offer free shipping. SU frequently offers free (Sale-a-Bration) or reduced sets. Instead of giving away free shipping, they give away free merchandise. In addition, you point out that you don't pay shipping on the free items, so that is another discount that is offered to everyone (not just demos). On TV, when they say "But wait, order now, and we'll send you two_______(fill in the blank) for only $19.95! Then, a disclaimer usually pops up on the screen "Just pay shipping and handling." So, that really is another thing that SU is offering to the customers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 05:38 AM   #84  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sibilance7View Post
I agree with Patrina. I've posted here before about how outrageous I think SU's shipping is and I always get the same responses: shipping costs are high all over, companies that offer free shipping are making it up elsewhere, and so on. I simply cannot agree with these statements based on my experiences. When I need to order books for school that I can't find used locally, I order them from Amazon. I always save money over my campus bookstore and my orders are usually over $25 because of the number of books I need to buy or because my husband also needs school books, so I get free shipping. There's no way Amazon is making that up elsewhere. My orders always arrive promptly, and if one item isn't available immediately, they always send the others first at no extra charge. I never pay shipping with PaperTrey because my orders are always over $50 because I always want so much of their awesome stuff, and my orders get to me within 2 days. I get more stamps from them than SU and the stamps are more versatile, plus PTI sells the same amount of cardstock for .50 cents less than SU. So I fail to see how they're making any costs up anywhere*. My last order with SU, in contrast, had exhorbitant shipping charges and took TWO WEEKS to get to me. When I posted to this forum complaining about the shipping time, I was told that I should understand that SU has a lot of orders coming in because of their catalog and a bunch of demos who have been to Utah wished I could see SU's production line. I don't give a rip about their production line! I just want the product that I paid good money for to arrive on time! The only thing keeping me ordering from SU at this point is my love for their designer papers and my guilt at totally abandoning my demo, who needs the money. And I frequent SCS much less now that I know I can't speak freely about SU here.

*The only thing that's more expensive at PTI is their ribbon, but I would actually prefer to pay more per yard to get less and be able to get a lot of variety than pay a low price for a metric ton of one type of ribbon like SU forces you to.
With Amazon, the "free shipping" means that you agree to have your purchases sent via a slower delivery option -- that's one way that they balance out their cost.

As far as the comparison between PTI and SU!, is it really an equal comparison? How thick is their paper compared to SU! cardstock? What is the fiber content/quality? Is it dyed to the core, or is it white in the middle? How far away is the supplier, and what does it cost the company to obtain and store it in their warehouse? All of these factors affect paper prices.

Now, for SU! not shipping "on time". If I were to submit an order right this very second, it would get in line behind orders from Canada and those where people paid extra for two-day or overnight shipping (and folks would pay a fee for that whether ordering from SU!, Amazon or even Walmart.com). Their facility in Riverton processes and ships literally THOUSANDS of orders each day, with the numbers clearing 4000 during peak periods like SAB! That just astounded me when they laid those numbers out at Convention during the "SU! then-and-now" presentation. I just checked the system, and the current wait time for an order to begin picking is 1-2 business days (wait time was 3-4 business days during the initial new catalog frenzy, and my non-expedited order did in fact pick and ship within that window), so it would probably go out either tomorrow or Tuesday. It then takes UPS Ground an entire week to truck that box across the country to the eastern coast of Virginia. After factoring all that in, a late-August order taking two weeks sounds just about right, and indeed arrived when SU! said it would.

Please don't think that I'm beating up on you -- I'm genuinely trying to see whether something was wrong in this situation. You can still "speak freely" about SU! here as well. If you couldn't, a mod would delete any post that was not absolutely pro-SU! in a heartbeat! In a public forum, though, folks will test your reasoning. Just ask the gals over in the Current Events forum, LOL! ;)

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 06:22 AM   #85  
Stampin' Fool

Default Wow!

What a response to my griping! I did spend a lot (haven't received the goods yet) but I only place one, possibly two orders a year. I don't live close to anything other than WM, so I would have to drive and spend big fuel dollars to make my purchases.

I do wish that SU! would consider the UM option. I think it would expand their customer base and I know that I would probably spend more. Blushing furiously here! Who knows? Maybe it's in the works and we just haven't heard yet! Wouldn't that be great? Ah! We can dream!

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 06:47 AM   #86  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Hmmm...that's interesting. I'll have to ask my demo about that. Does that mean that the amount of the free merch gets added with your order total then taken off the back end after the tax and shipping is totaled but then how how do they figure in the price of the hostess set to add the tax and shipping? Worth checking into though, since there really isn't anything such as a "free lunch." Thanks.
Customers will pay s/h and taxes on the amount of their order, taxes are based on the state/province where they live.
Hostess stuff:
SU! does not charge shipping on hostess benefits. Some states charge tax on the amount of the hostess merchandise. The hostess sets themselves (Level 1/2/3) do not have a value listed in the catalogue, and so they don't get taxed.

Did this make sense?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 07:17 AM   #87  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketballmomView Post
Customers will pay s/h and taxes on the amount of their order, taxes are based on the state/province where they live.
Hostess stuff:
SU! does not charge shipping on hostess benefits. Some states charge tax on the amount of the hostess merchandise. The hostess sets themselves (Level 1/2/3) do not have a value listed in the catalogue, and so they don't get taxed.

Did this make sense?
Makes perfect sense to me. That is what I was thinking but since someone mentioned that shipping and tax are charged on hostess benefits, it gave me pause to think. Thanks for clearing that up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 08:31 AM   #88  
Matboard Maniac

As far as the comparison between PTI and SU!, is it really an equal comparison? How thick is their paper compared to SU! cardstock? What is the fiber content/quality? Is it dyed to the core, or is it white in the middle? How far away is the supplier, and what does it cost the company to obtain and store it in their warehouse? All of these factors affect paper prices.

As far as the comparison between the two, I think that PTI and SU cardstock are certainly comparable in quality. PTI white cardstock is much heavier than SU's and all of their cardstock is a great weight for cardbases. I buy cardstock from both companies. PTI paper is dyed to the core and the cost is very reasonable. I like both companies' products as far as their paper and ink go. I also love the fact that PTI sells several different styles of ribbon to match their cardstock & ink. Their ribbon is fabulous and very reasonably priced. I never pay shipping & handling on PTI product because I always place an order that qualifies for free shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 09:10 AM   #89  
Mad Swapper

I don't think anyone was being rude. They were just giving their opinions just as the OP was. Whats the point in posting anything if its always going to be one sided?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrina+2View Post
Let me start by saying that some people are sooooo rude.

OP I totally agree with you. I love stampin up but they are getting to big for their britches. I order through a demo and paying shipping and all that jazz then I still have to drive over and pick them up at her convience. Free shipping is always nice, even if it is once or twice a year. An UM option would also be nice. Had you spent that kinda money with any of the member companies here, you would def. have gotten free shipping. So if they can offer free shipping, so can SU.

I don't know why it is that people get so upset when people speak their opinions against SU. It's just an opinion. No need to jump to SU's defense and tell us how great they are. We lnow that they are great, that's why we continue to pay their high shipping charges. JMHO!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 09:18 AM   #90  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampcrazzzyView Post
As for companies offering free shipping, I feel that have to do that to get their customer base. Not that there is anything wrong with that. They aren't the size that SU! is with the sales that SU! gets and by offering free shipping, that sets them apart.
The fact that SU is SOOOOOO big means it could MUCH BETTER afford to offer free shipping sometimes.

I feel that SU as a company has a bit of an arrogant attitude- "we're so wonderful that people will buy from us no matter what we do"- and that may hurt them in the long run.

I personally have not bought any SU stamps except from eBay. New from a demo they cost too much and the shipping seems too high.

SU makes some great products, but other companies make just as good and are often better at the customer service things such a free shipping. As more people get into stamping, SU will have to keep up with customer desires if it wants to stay competitive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 09:24 AM   #91  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4dView Post
With Amazon, the "free shipping" means that you agree to have your purchases sent via a slower delivery option -- that's one way that they balance out their cost.

Now, for SU! not shipping "on time". If I were to submit an order right this very second, it would get in line behind orders from Canada and those where people paid extra for two-day or overnight shipping (and folks would pay a fee for that whether ordering from SU!, Amazon or even Walmart.com). Their facility in Riverton processes and ships literally THOUSANDS of orders each day, with the numbers clearing 4000 during peak periods like SAB! That just astounded me when they laid those numbers out at Convention during the "SU! then-and-now" presentation. I just checked the system, and the current wait time for an order to begin picking is 1-2 business days (wait time was 3-4 business days during the initial new catalog frenzy, and my non-expedited order did in fact pick and ship within that window), so it would probably go out either tomorrow or Tuesday. It then takes UPS Ground an entire week to truck that box across the country to the eastern coast of Virginia. After factoring all that in, a late-August order taking two weeks sounds just about right, and indeed arrived when SU! said it would.

Please don't think that I'm beating up on you -- I'm genuinely trying to see whether something was wrong in this situation. You can still "speak freely" about SU! here as well. If you couldn't, a mod would delete any post that was not absolutely pro-SU! in a heartbeat! In a public forum, though, folks will test your reasoning. Just ask the gals over in the Current Events forum, LOL! ;)
Comparing SU to Amazon and then defending SU makes little sense- or at least this defense here does. Amazon ships MANY times the number of things that SU does, and gets them here in 2-3 days with the free shipping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 09:25 AM   #92  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by annebarcView Post
in addition, they really have totally different business models. PTI is geared to be E-commerce based, a very different business environment than SU that is geared towards in home parties and independent demos. It makes sense that they would offer incentives very differently as well. I like them both for different reasons.

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 09:26 AM   #93  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenmouerView Post
actually - many many many other companies - including many home based product companies have signicantly higher shipping - for the most part shipping is 10%....unless you buy less than 69.95...

yes there are other companies that offer free shipping...but I have found the larger the company the more you have to spend in order to get the free shipping...so if I don't spend $100 - I might have to spend $15 or more to ship the products...

it is usually the smaller companies that offer free shipping for lower amounts - 1 they can afford to do it because their overhead for the most part is low...and the fact that they might not have that much of a selection or are a newer company that is looking to gain customers...there are a few companies out there that do offer free shipping on a continual basis but with the exception of a few most of the time you are having to spend $50 or $75 to obtain the free shipping...

if you spend a large amount with SU - YOU DO get benefits - you get hostess benefits...at least a free stamp set and free merchandise. so if you spend $150 - you are getting basically free shipping in the form of extra merchandise
See, I won't order from those companies, either. It's not a matter of whether SU is fair or unfair, it's a matter of my budget.

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 09:27 AM   #94  
Inking Addict

I understand SU is in business to make $$, but so are the smaller member companies that offer free shipping over certain $ amounts. Some are even free priority shipping.
SU's 10% shipping will stop me from buying the more costly pieces from them like the Big Shots.
Their shipping does make me shop around more, especially for tools, adhesives, the things you can get other places.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 09:28 AM   #95  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by polargirlView Post
Who cares
LOL

(Then again, you are here reading this thread, right?!)

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 09:36 AM   #96  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

For all of you who have said that they don't make it up elsewhere for the free shipping...they do...offering free shipping for your order above a set amount is actually an incentive for you to spend more money...it is made up in the volume. The shipping would probably be the same for them to send an order if it is $25 or $50 or $100 so by saying the shipping is free if you spend $100 they are making out. I just did that with an online company, spent over $100 to get the free shipping, it benefits both the company and I because I get more product without adding the shipping cost to my order (as if I shopped locally) and the company gets a little bigger profit because my order was higher.

Also, SU cannot offer free shipping because in a way they kind of already do. If you order above $150 you get to chose $15 dollars in merchandise and a free hostess set. If they gave free shipping as an incentive, they probably wouldn't be able to give the merchandise as an incentive. So your cut-off point for "free shipping" with SU is $150. You can't have it both ways..free merch or free shipping. I believe someone already pointed out to the original poster that since the shipping on her order was enough to warrant $30+ dollars in shipping then she would have qualified for one of the levels of merchandise incentive which would have more than covered her shipping. Sometimes you just have to think of it from another perspective. It is all relative.
I doubt SU is having difficulty turning a profit.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 09:36 AM   #97  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by SusieMuslie68View Post
My two cents worth is, that S&H/taxes/price problems are all relative.

I would love to have your S&H/tax/price problems. Here in the lovely land down under (Australia), as we are a much smaller country (population wise anyway) we don't get the discounts that you all enjoy. Our tax rate is 10% on everything, product & S&H, plus for us Aussies ordering Stampin' Up (& we waited years for it to come here) we pay almost double what it costs you. I have down loaded your latest catalogue & ideas book & have checked the price differences, even factoring in the differences between currencies & shipping to Australia, you can't tell me that that doubles the price of a stamp set, but what are we to do? Here, we just don't have the market to support the price system that you have & when I have ordered from on-line companies in the USA the S&H to Australia is phenomenal. I can be charged $50+ for 5 or 6 wood blocked stamps, (& no they aren't even sent airmail), & it takes up to 3 or 4 weeks to get here. If I go to my local store, an hour & a half round trip (not including browsing time ;)) I can still pay, on average $15 - $20 for a wood mounted stamp, that's right one stamp.

I just look on in envy at the variety of stores you girls/guys have on your own doorsteps & that are only a few mouse clicks away (some companies won't ship to Australia) especially at the prices that are offered. Again, S&H/taxes/prices are all relative & to some they may seem OTT, to others bargain basement.
Good point, and maybe SU will end up only doing business in Australia because we have other options!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 09:42 AM   #98  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Well my orders from Amazon usually arrive in a week or two, so the "slow" shipping definitely doesn't bother me :-D
And you are right about considering the quality of the product. To some people, though, SU's quality isn't that different from some other companies. Those who think it's worth the money will still buy, for sure. Those who don't, won't. If enough people are bothered by the costs and don't think it is made up by the quality, then they will lose business. So it will work itself out in the end.
In the meantime, I'm one who hesitates to buy SU! (or anything online) because of the shipping. Gas is certainly a consideration, but if I am combining errands it isn't really an issue.

Amen to the part in red!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 09:44 AM   #99  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by nottoocreativeView Post
See, I won't order from those companies, either. It's not a matter of whether SU is fair or unfair, it's a matter of my budget.
Amen!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 09:45 AM   #100  
Kookie Creator

Have you check the ups website to see what the actual cost of shipping would be? I know they get a bit of a discount since they are exclusive to ups. I did a 1 pound package from SU to my house (my most recent delivery) and it would have cost me $7.49 instead of $6.95. So even thought the shipping seems high it really is the cost and not a inflated shipping cost for profit. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 10:09 AM   #101  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by SusieMuslie68View Post
My two cents worth is, that S&H/taxes/price problems are all relative.

I would love to have your S&H/tax/price problems. Here in the lovely land down under (Australia), as we are a much smaller country (population wise anyway) we don't get the discounts that you all enjoy. Our tax rate is 10% on everything, product & S&H, plus for us Aussies ordering Stampin' Up (& we waited years for it to come here) we pay almost double what it costs you. I have down loaded your latest catalogue & ideas book & have checked the price differences, even factoring in the differences between currencies & shipping to Australia, you can't tell me that that doubles the price of a stamp set, but what are we to do? Here, we just don't have the market to support the price system that you have & when I have ordered from on-line companies in the USA the S&H to Australia is phenomenal. I can be charged $50+ for 5 or 6 wood blocked stamps, (& no they aren't even sent airmail), & it takes up to 3 or 4 weeks to get here. If I go to my local store, an hour & a half round trip (not including browsing time ;)) I can still pay, on average $15 - $20 for a wood mounted stamp, that's right one stamp.

I just look on in envy at the variety of stores you girls/guys have on your own doorsteps & that are only a few mouse clicks away (some companies won't ship to Australia) especially at the prices that are offered. Again, S&H/taxes/prices are all relative & to some they may seem OTT, to others bargain basement.
Oh my word! I ship to Australia when I list on ebay. I think it's about the same shipping as it is to the UK. $50 for 5 or 6 stamps is just totally outrageous!

Can't you have someone order it for you in the US and then ship it to you? Or is that against the TOS?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 12:15 PM   #102  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydal57View Post
Oh my word! I ship to Australia when I list on ebay. I think it's about the same shipping as it is to the UK. $50 for 5 or 6 stamps is just totally outrageous!

Can't you have someone order it for you in the US and then ship it to you? Or is that against the TOS?
SU! demos are not allowed to sell outside their country. It's part of the Demo Agreement that we sign when we join the company as demonstrators.
US demos can only sell in the States.
Cdn demos can only sell in Canada.
Australian demos can only sell in Australia ... and so on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 01:30 PM   #103  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by tchkView Post
Comparing SU to Amazon and then defending SU makes little sense- or at least this defense here does. Amazon ships MANY times the number of things that SU does, and gets them here in 2-3 days with the free shipping!
I only brought it up because the person whose post I was answering used it as an example:

Quote:

When I need to order books for school that I can't find used locally, I order them from Amazon. I always save money over my campus bookstore and my orders are usually over $25 because of the number of books I need to buy or because my husband also needs school books, so I get free shipping. There's no way Amazon is making that up elsewhere. My orders always arrive promptly, and if one item isn't available immediately, they always send the others first at no extra charge.
I have never had a "free shipping" order from Amazon arrive in two or three days. It always took at least five business days (usually was closer to seven), and sometimes took as long as two weeks.

My Stampin' Up! blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 01:47 PM   #104  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Shipping Costs

I had to ship two large boxes, each weighing about 15 pounds, earlier this summer. FedEx cost half as much as either USPS or UPS, and automatically came with tracking service and insurance. ... I wonder if SU! is using only UPS as a matter of policy, or possibly using USPS or FedEx when the package size and/or weight make them less expensive. It really does pay to comparison shop, and it's easy to do on those three services' Web sites.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 02:00 PM   #105  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetiepeasView Post
Have you check the ups website to see what the actual cost of shipping would be? I know they get a bit of a discount since they are exclusive to ups. I did a 1 pound package from SU to my house (my most recent delivery) and it would have cost me $7.49 instead of $6.95. So even thought the shipping seems high it really is the cost and not a inflated shipping cost for profit. Just a thought.
It may look like that was the price for shipping, but trust me, it wasn't! I worked in a warehouse for several years (and was the person who did all the UPS schtuff) and I know that they are getting a significant discount over posted rates. How much? Well, it depends on their volume - the co I worked for probably sent somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 - 500 boxes per week and got a 15% discount over posted prices. Shipping was charged by the software (on the invoice) at posted prices - the customer *never* saw the discrepancies. I never agreed with the way it was done, but I know it's done like that all over.
Sheesh, that was an awful lot of babbling :rolleyes: when all I meant to say was that the only people paying posted rates for UPS are the (really) little guys like you and me. Even *with* fuel surcharges and rate increases.
The other thing that really strikes me is that SU! sends everything to the demo - they aren't shipping 10 little boxes to different addresses for every show! That would be horribly expensive! By sending one big box to the demo they are avoiding all the problems (and extra fees!) that come with small individual shipments... IMHO - they're overcharging for shipping, by a lot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 02:06 PM   #106  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

I only brought it up because the person whose post I was answering used it as an example:

I have never had a "free shipping" order from Amazon arrive in two or three days. It always took at least five business days (usually was closer to seven), and sometimes took as long as two weeks.
I don't get my "free shipping" Amazon orders for at least a week either. I ordered two books from Amazon on the 9/9. They shipped on 9/11 and won't get here until the 17th, over a week from the date I ordered. And that is fast for Amazon. Sometimes it takes two weeks.

Having worked in an independent bookstore, I can tell you that high volume book dealers like B & N, Borders, and Amazon get a hefty wholesale discount on their books. An independent bookstore, which orders in far smaller quantities, has to pay more per book than high volume places.

So while you feel you are getting a deal buying online because of the "free" shipping, it really isn't free. Amazon can afford the "free" shipping because it pays less for its books. They still are able to pay for their shipping from the mark up of the wholesale price. That's why their prices are lower, but trust me, they still turn a really, really good profit.

Plus, "free" shipping is a time honored technique to get people to buy more than they really mean to buy. Sally Shopper goes up on Amazon to get a book for her book group. The book costs $16.49. The shipping will be $3.99, so Sally starts to think, "Gee if I only order one more book to get to $25, I'll get free shipping! What a deal!" So Sally buys another book that costs $12.59, a book she didn't really want so she can have the first book shipped "free". Instead of spending $20.49 to get one book, she spends $29.08 for two books. She spent more money. Even providing "free" shipping, Amazon will still get a bigger cut of what she spent than if she had just bought one book. They win. She thinks *she* did.

You may think, "Well, that's not me. I save up my orders until I have enough to get the free shipping, so I'm still ahead." Yeah, maybe YOU are. But even if YOU aren't paying for your free shipping, Sally is paying because she is an impulse shopper. Your free shipping is paid for by other people. Not the retailer. The retailer is still making lots of lovely money from impulse shoppers.

The OP may have paid $20 some in shipping for her SU! order, but with a $200 order, she was eligible for a free set of stamps and $20 in free merchandise. The person who talked about order $600 some cardstock from Prism...well, if you placed that kind of order with SU!, you would get 2 or 3 free sets of stamps and $75 in free merchandise. Tell me again how great "free" shipping is.

As far as PTI goes, I love their cardstock. But I do not buy it anymore because I have known more than one person (including myself) who has received packages of cardstock with dinged corners. When my friend who had this happen inquired about getting a replacement for the damaged cardstock, she was told, "That isn't our fault, that is UPS's fault." PTI refused to replace the cardstock. With SU!, they have always replaced any damaged merchandise at no cost to me. Yet, they both ship with UPS. So is it because PTI's shipping is "free" over $40 that makes UPS drop their boxes more? I doubt it.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Last edited by JanTInk; 09-14-2008 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #107  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerlily55View Post
I agree that shipping is getting bad at many places, not just SU However, SU is a company that is supposed to have low overhead cuz they don't have brick and mortar stores. And as you probably know, the more shipping the company does, the better the rate they get. I would guess that SU gets a pretty good rate. So, I think they are making money off of their shipping as many companies do. I think they could offer free shipping a couple times a year, or for orders over a certain amount. I would think the volume of orders would pick up and make up for lack of a shipping charge. I can always hope...
when I talk about low overhead -I meant many smaller companies do not have to pay for a building in which to work out of nor do they have to pay for a large amount of employees (and benefits)...yes SU doesn't have a brick and morter store - what they have is a very large building filled with CS reps and a very large building for order fulfillment...all of which have employees who rely of SU for a paycheck, insurance, etc...

As for shipping I am sure they are getting a discount but I would be willing to bet in this day and age with the cost of shipping they are basically breaking even...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 02:20 PM   #108  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenmouerView Post
when I talk about low overhead -I meant many smaller companies do not have to pay for a building in which to work out of nor do they have to pay for a large amount of employees (and benefits)...yes SU doesn't have a brick and morter store - what they have is a very large building filled with CS reps and a very large building for order fulfillment...all of which have employees who rely of SU for a paycheck, insurance, etc...

As for shipping I am sure they are getting a discount but I would be willing to bet in this day and age with the cost of shipping they are basically breaking even...
Not to mention that SU! has costs in training it's demonstrators that factor into the cost of the product. It provides a monthly magazine, maintains a website, offers incentives, and conducts on site training seminars all over the country every year.

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 02:28 PM   #109  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by palval77View Post
SU is by far the worst when it comes to shipping.
I agree. I am a Mary Kay consultant and we pay a flat shipping rate whether you buy 1 item or 100. Much better system IMHO!

They are making so much money off of their stamps - markups on everything you buy (make-up, groceries, clothes, etc) is so high!! I think they could have a tier system based on the amount of your order. Free shipping every once in a while would be nice too! :mrgreen:

Check out my Blog! -
The Fishy-Scrapper's Chronicles
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 03:15 PM   #110  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappinanglerView Post
I agree. I am a Mary Kay consultant and we pay a flat shipping rate whether you buy 1 item or 100. Much better system IMHO!

They are making so much money off of their stamps - markups on everything you buy (make-up, groceries, clothes, etc) is so high!! I think they could have a tier system based on the amount of your order. Free shipping every once in a while would be nice too! :mrgreen:
The mark up on Mary Kay is insane if you ask me. Do you still get to keep 50%?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 03:23 PM   #111  
Mad Swapper

[QUOTE=stampcrazzzy;11296456]Well, the taxes aren't anything SU! can do about, they are just a fact of life. Now the shipping, I do agree that shipping is a little high, but again, that is beyond SU! control. They increase when the increase is made by UPS, only fair I think.

As for companies offering free shipping, I feel that have to do that to get their customer base. Not that there is anything wrong with that. They aren't the size that SU! is with the sales that SU! gets and by offering free shipping, that sets them apart.

Even though SU! may be a little higher, one thing you need to consider is that you get a demonstrator too when you order from SU! You don't get that from an online company. You don't get them sharing their passion and ideas with you .

I completely agree!

My blog: aCASEofArt
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 03:26 PM   #112  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaiTiView Post
The mark up on Mary Kay is insane if you ask me. Do you still get to keep 50%?
Everything is marked up insane is my point... I bought a pair of shorts at Aeropostale for my dd this summer on clearance for $7 - original price $49.00!! - they are STILL making money selling it at $7 - trust me, they are not going to LOSE money on it. Same with going to Mike's and using a 40% off coupon - they are still making a profit.

It did not dawn on me until I became a MK consultant how much everything really is marked up - I guess owning your own business does that to you!

I think a lot of companies are hiding profits in their shipping - esp. big companies - not small ones - like my business - I offer free shipping all of the time and I pay for it. I have lots of out of town customers and still ship for free and write it off at the end of the year. Anywho, not to be a thread hijacker, SU is making money off of their shipping. I can understand $6.95 for small orders - that's about right, but 10% is highway robbery IMHO.

Check out my Blog! -
The Fishy-Scrapper's Chronicles
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 03:49 PM   #113  
Pearl-ExPert

I too think the 10% shipping is a little high but it is worth it to me because I just LOVE their products and colors. It would be great if SU would offer free shipping on orders over xx amount because it would make people want to order more. Even if the amount was something high, I know I would just save my orders up to get the free shipping.

As far as the demo part goes, I try to make the extra cost worth it for my customers by being there with advice, support and techniques. If my customers order at the same times as me in a combined order, I send them extra goodies along with their order like die cuts or pieces of ribbon, etc. Just a little something extra.

Last edited by thescrapmaster; 09-14-2008 at 03:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 03:54 PM   #114  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by palval77View Post
SU is by far the worst when it comes to shipping.
I respectfully disagree with you. I've had plenty of companies lately charging 7.95 to ship orders which totaled between $19 - $40. That's a lot higher percentage wise than SU. SU also allows you to exchange items up to 90 days later - most of the other companies don't let you do that. At least not that I know of.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 04:46 PM   #115  
Matboard Maniac

Wow, those of you talking about shipping from Amazon taking a long time are having drastically different experiences than me. Maybe I just live close to one of their distribution centers, but I always get my orders within 2-3, and I always use Super Saver shipping. Sometimes if an item is not immediately available, that one will take longer, but they always ship my other items first. I have literally never had anything take two weeks to get to me until my most recent SU order. Oh, and talk about bent corners - SU is definitely the worst when it comes to this. I guess I could send it back and have them send me more, but it would just be bent too. However, this is probably due to my local delivery people. My PTI orders tend to come USPS, and my mailperson must just be more concerned about my stuff than my UPS person.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 05:22 PM   #116  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

My Amazon order doesn't take long either when I pick Super Saver shipping because it's shipped from Northern KY and I live in SW Ohio. The picking takes a little longer though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 05:24 PM   #117  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by bklyngal62
I have to agree on their shipping. As much as I love their products, I hesitate to order sometimes because of their shipping costs.
They lost me. With the shipping and handling fees, I just couldn't justify it any longer. With so many companies, if you purchase a set dollar amount of product the shipping is free. It just wasn't worth it anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 05:39 PM   #118  
Pearl-ExPert

Well, I read the rest of this thread and I won't read anymore.

As usual, the SU loyalists are defending the company with contradictory arguments and slamming other companies as so-called examples of why SU is so much better.

How is it that only the SU defenders and demos receive their Amazon products in two weeks when they arrive in days for the rest of us?

How is it that the size of SU is the reason they are so slow AND the reason they cannot offer free shipping but others can?

How is it the PTI papers arrive bent for the SU loyalists but never SU papers?

Doesn't SU also charge a flat fee up to a $70 order? So, what would that percentage be if I wanted a $10 stamp set? (Does SU even make any $10 stamp sets?)

MaryKay must have an insane markup because their shipping isn't a rip-off?

SU trains its consultants- like they are the ONLY company on the planet that has that cost? And, that is used to justify their high shipping?

The fact that Amazon gets a bulk discount from publishers means that their free shipping isn't free? (THIS ONE REALLY MADE ME LAUGH!!!)

Another one that made me laugh was how other companies can offer free shipping over a certain purchase price because it wouldn't cost anymore to ship several items than one- so why does the shipping still go up with SU? (Does SU have a special arrangement with UPS that only SU pays more?)

Give it a REST!!! No one is buying your cockamamie excuses for what is an obvious money-grab by SU to make more than their already over-priced items bring in. They are increasing their profits by charging excessive shipping costs and that is all there is to it.

As for me- I will continue to buy SU only on eBay, if at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 05:54 PM   #119  
Mad Swapper

I always find it so funny that when someone defends SU! people climb their frames, and then those people trash SU! (I do't believe the OP was trashing SU!, that seems to have come in later posts from others). If someone came into a forum here and said something against any company other than Stampin' Up! people all come to that company's defense and bash the person who posted against them. Amazing!

Here's the deal...if you think SU! charges too much for shipping, don't order from them! But why the need to come here and trash the company, say how they over charge for their items, and they are sticking it to their customers on shipping? Stampin' Up! must be doing something right, they are a very successful company celebrating their 20th anniversary this year. They have done this by selling quality products to people who appreciate that, and to reward those customers, they give them free stamp sets and free products. I don't know of too many other stamp companies that do that online!

As for purchasing off of eBay, if you like that, great. I personally know that you almost always will pay at least $5 for shipping on one set purchased on eBay, and you run the risk of not getting the set or it not being as described. To each their own!

Last edited by stampcrazzzy; 09-14-2008 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 05:54 PM   #120  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by tchkView Post
Well, I read the rest of this thread and I won't read anymore.

As usual, the SU loyalists are defending the company with contradictory arguments and slamming other companies as so-called examples of why SU is so much better.

How is it that only the SU defenders and demos receive their Amazon products in two weeks when they arrive in days for the rest of us?

How is it that the size of SU is the reason they are so slow AND the reason they cannot offer free shipping but others can?

How is it the PTI papers arrive bent for the SU loyalists but never SU papers?

Doesn't SU also charge a flat fee up to a $70 order? So, what would that percentage be if I wanted a $10 stamp set? (Does SU even make any $10 stamp sets?)

MaryKay must have an insane markup because their shipping isn't a rip-off?

SU trains its consultants- like they are the ONLY company on the planet that has that cost? And, that is used to justify their high shipping?

The fact that Amazon gets a bulk discount from publishers means that their free shipping isn't free? (THIS ONE REALLY MADE ME LAUGH!!!)

Another one that made me laugh was how other companies can offer free shipping over a certain purchase price because it wouldn't cost anymore to ship several items than one- so why does the shipping still go up with SU? (Does SU have a special arrangement with UPS that only SU pays more?)

Give it a REST!!! No one is buying your cockamamie excuses for what is an obvious money-grab by SU to make more than their already over-priced items bring in. They are increasing their profits by charging excessive shipping costs and that is all there is to it.

As for me- I will continue to buy SU only on eBay, if at all.
Whatever. You obviously have your mind made up. Have you ever heard the phrase, "There is no such thing as a free lunch"? It came from a time when bars, desperate to get patrons in the door, would offer a free lunch. Men would go in for the free lunch and since they were there, would end up drinking. Since the mark up on the booze was so high, the bar owners still made money on their "free lunch".

That's what "free shipping" is. Someone is paying for the shipping and you can bet it is not the retailer. You are, in the inflated prices of the products you buy or someone else is paying for you because they impulsively order more than they really need. But if it makes you feel good to think you are getting a deal, go ahead and live in your happy dream. :mrgreen: Must be a really happy dream if you think you get a deal on Ebay. ;)

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes