Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-04-2006, 09:12 AM   #81  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tah Dah!
I do the same thing!! All of our family members said they'd be coming to our house over Y2K - and I didn't even stock up on anything!! I always buy when it's on sale (and I usually have coupons, too) but at least I actually use all of that stuff!

~Trish
HeeHee. Me too. I guess because I was raised by children of the Great Depression and my dad worked construction, having a "pantry" was just normal. My dh jokes that we could live for a few months on what I have "stockpiled" in the two pantries we have.

Now it's a good thing not all of my rs/sb items are in plain sight or he'd think I could rs/sb until the cows come home and still not have used it all up! DD (8yo) got her own Petite Cropper bag for Christmas. Her stuff is starting to takeover mine!

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2006, 10:20 AM   #82  
Embossing Fanatic

My Dd is probably one of the worst hoarders I've ever met. Her house is knee-deep in kid's clothes, decorations, and stamping stuff. She can't even have anybody in her family rooom downstairs because it's so full of junk. She needs help. Seriously. I'm going to start trying to convince her that she needs to see a doctor. It's actually beginning to make her marriage rocky.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2006, 08:12 AM   #83  
Gallery Gazer

I'm beginning to let go. and I feel uneasy about it...

Today I actually went to my large stash of cards, got out envelopes and sent out some cards just to say hello to some friends who I don't see very often. As I got out each card I actually had to think if I really wanted to send a card or just send an email. But I'm breaking free and now they are all written in, addressed, stamped and ready to go.

any one else ready to break free??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2006, 09:58 AM   #84  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tah Dah!
I'm joining in to admit I have a HUGE problem with hoarding - and to make matters worse I'm also very disorganized. My major goal for this year is to clean up my crafting area. I know I've got leftover supplies from twist paper fans I made my family for Christmas fifteen years ago, because I'll use it someday, right?!? I've already donated a few bags to the children's and women's ministries in our church, but there's way more that needs to go. And I know I would amaze myself with my creativity if I could actually find my supplies!! Anyway I've vowed not to buy any more stuff until my current supply is purged and organized - which will probably also help the family budget, LOL! And then hopefully I can also make some gorgeous stuff with my abundance of goodies.

And just so you all feel better about yourselves, I'm posting pics of my personal pit - hopefully it will be worthy of featuring in Rubber Stamper in a few months (snort)

~Trish
Trish I am in south jersey PM me where you are maybe we get together and I could help you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2006, 12:52 PM   #85  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenny K
I'm beginning to let go. and I feel uneasy about it...

Today I actually went to my large stash of cards, got out envelopes and sent out some cards just to say hello to some friends who I don't see very often. As I got out each card I actually had to think if I really wanted to send a card or just send an email. But I'm breaking free and now they are all written in, addressed, stamped and ready to go.

any one else ready to break free??
I am finally beginning to let it go, too.... and I'm feeling REALLY uneasy as I do it, but must admit I've been feeling a little better as I see the results of my ever so minor efforts. I've been holding on to things for so long. My husband's jaw dropped when one random day, he saw me pick up all the empty boxes laying around the house and broke them all down. "What are doing?" "Throwing them away." "Wow. You okay?" "Yup." I've still got a long way to go, but each time I'm able to find something without having to tear the entire house apart... I feel better. Regular doses of Mission:Organization helps keep me motivated, too. Though I don't think I'll EVER be that organized.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2006, 04:51 PM   #86  
Gallery Gazer

Y'all working on the let go thing - I'm very proud. I need to get off my lazy butt and get busy. Got lots of stuff in my room that isn't MY ROOM stuff. I am proud of myself for not overdoing it at the after Christmas sale clearances. I usually "stock up" for my gift closet. My saving show is Clean Sweep. I wish someone would come in and build organize for me, just not mess with my stuff! We now have a "support" group! Hang in there - as they always say - baby steps! Can't do it in a day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2006, 03:36 AM   #87  
Kookie Creator

Just wanted to share that this thread inspiried me to stop hoarding and I actually cut up the cute scrapbook papers and YIKES, used them on some cards. I know I will receive great satisfaction from mailing them to my friends. (Of course, only friends that appreciate stamped cards are worthy of my hoarded little creations)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2006, 07:52 AM   #88  
the innocent one

oh tree, I just found your dear little thread, and I must say, I fit right in here. Of course by the description of my ribbon and button collection, you already knew that. I just want to point out that I come by it honestly, and I want to share my story.

My mother died 8 1/2 years ago. Shortly after she died, my dad had me come and spend a couple days cleaning. I know he was having a hard time seeing all of my mom's stuff laying around, but he just kept complaining how much of a packrat my mom was. This is true, and there is no denying it! HOWEVER...."she was such a packrat" says the man who STILL has every TV he has ever owned in his basement AND when their basement flooded about 35 years ago they lost all of their year books from highschool, but Dad's precious national geographics (probably 15 years of them at that point) were miraculously saved because they were on a higher shelf. cracks me up really.

I am trying so desperately to overcome this. My husband and I are in the process of trying to sell our house and have packed up most of my books...at least 20 boxes of them so far. We don't even own enough bookshelves for all of my books to go on.

We come up with a family "theme" every year, and in 2004 it was "Less is more in 2004" We really got rid of a lot of stuff that year. We're going to revisit that them this year with "Give it a kick in 2006". It is very cleansing to get rid of junk. Now I'm not saying that all of you have junk, but I know that I do, and despite the fact that I hate letting it go, I need to get rid of it. I'll let you know how it goes. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2006, 11:48 AM   #89  
Failed Lurker

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampintree
The first step (they say) is admitting you have a problem. Do you have a problem? Do you buy stuff to HAVE and don't use?

I buy neat gee wow stuff for stamping, scrap booking, etc. cause they are so cool to HAVE! But, if I use it...I won't HAVE it anymore!!! Gonna do some letting go this year - or buy two of everything!!! (and I already do that too!)

Happy New Year everyone!

Who says I have a problem? I don't have a problem. :rolleyes: I WILL NOT admit to a problem!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2006, 02:22 PM   #90  
Pearl-ExPert

I am such the hoarder, but I blame it on genetics. My mother was the big time hoarder of saving things, I remember opening cabinets and I swear every Cool Whip container and Welch's jelly jar since the beginning of time was in there. She used to make cookies and put wrapping paper on the top of the Cool Whip container at Christmas time and of course we always saved the Welches jelly jars for glasses, remember thos with the cartoon of Archie on the bottom? Maybe I am dating myself.

But back to the subject of hoarding scrapbook suplies. Yes, I am a truly bonified member. I have Rubbermaid containers that I just searched through and it was like, "wow I didn't know I had this," and then I found something in my drawers the other day. I always buy paper in bulk becuase I couldn't dream of ever buying just ONE of a design, can you just imagine that? What is that all about? My husband came home from shopping with ONE of something and I just laughed. I think I buy 3 of everything! I just signed iwth CTMH and my husband looks around at the shelves I have of CTMH, SU, CM and other miscellaneous stuff and was like, what do you need more of this for?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2006, 03:19 PM   #91  
Insane Embellisher

OK ladies - I just have ONE question - where can I find customers like you!!!!

Customers like this are a demonstrator's dream and I can't find a single one - arggh! All my customers place nice, reasonable orders of just one or two stamp sets at a time. I don't know how on earth they do it....

Seriously though, I am a pretty minor accumulator - mostly patterned paper and embellishments and I think I've got a pretty small stash compared to a lot of my friends. I think the big reason is that I've been in "bad" debt before and I managed to dig free, so I don't ever want to go back there. And, I had the misfortune to have to clean out my Mom's house when she went into a nursing home. I don't want my kids to have to spend days and days digging through boxes of yarn, and unused art books and supplies, and half finished projects. I spent about 3 months unloading it all on Ebay at just pennies on the dollar. It made me sad because she could have spent all that time and all that money on activities that were a lot more fun and worthwhile.

I agree that it is hard to just throw away or give away all this neat stuff - I think we should find some ways to USE IT! Yes, I said USE IT! It's not bringing anyone any joy by sitting in our drawers, boxes, and baskets, cluttering up our stamp rooms. Let's just drag it all out and come up with some ways to use it and then give it to people who would really love and appreciate it. I think I'm going to begin by making RAK's (Random Acts of Kindness cards) for each of my customers and church friends.

I'm also going to work really hard to start scrapbooking again. I made some pages that were real clunkers and it has put me off scrapbooking for years, but I think I need to just get back on that particular horse. Even if my pages aren't these wonderful creations everyone else manages to come up with, I am depriving my kids of the joy they get when they see their faces in one of my albums.

So, c'mon ladies - let's see some numbers. Let's all how much of our "hoard" we have USED and we'll cheer each other on.

PS: I do get some credit - I've been using my tag punch to turn my scraps into lovely tag bags for hostess gifts and door prizes! Hey, it's a start!

Visit my Demo Website
I have a bouncing baby blog

There are three types of people in the world - those who can count and those who can't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2006, 09:42 PM   #92  
Stampin' Fool

um...hi...my name is Tammy....and...um, I, um....and addicted to office, school, and craft supplies.....

It's not fair. Life was never this hard for Barbie & Ken
-
unknown

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2006, 09:52 PM   #93  
Insane Embellisher

I'm really proud of myself! I made TWO scrapbook pages this weekend - yay for me! I haven't made any pages in ages and I used up several of my 12 X 12 papers.

Visit my Demo Website

There are three types of people in the world - those who can count and those who can't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2006, 10:17 PM   #94  
Creative Director - My Favorite Things
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampintree
I really didn't realize how many of "US" there are out there. I thought I was in a small minority. I'm seeing it is a BIG minority. Okay...you have to post back here when you use/give something up so that YOU can receive encouragement from the rest of us to continue on.

Having said all that - I just bought 24 mini scrap book thingies at Wally World - the Christmas themed ones were 23 cents a piece. They are only Christmas themed because of the little sheet of stickers and mini die cuts that come with it! I'll give those away and I'm putting it in print - USE SOME OF THEM FOR A WORKSHOP!!!! I won't just hoard the little devils. I am sending some of them to another SCSer - but that still leaves me with 15 - 20 of them. I will let go - I promise!
Hmmmm, I bought a few of those too... 120 to be exact. YES, I am serious. I sent 50 to Dorinda though. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2006, 10:34 PM   #95  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cleared off the top of my refrigerator today. You know - all of the things that get stashed up there to keep them away from toddlers? My kids are 5 and 8, long past the toddler stage, and the dust bunnies up there have been growing since we bought this house 4 years ago! I threw over half the stuff up there away, and it was mostly office and craft supplies, two of my most pack-ratted categories. DH said, "if YOU are throwing away office supplies, they must REALLY be junk!"

Funniest find on the fridge? My DH's 15-year pin from his work. He gets his 20-year pin next week!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2006, 07:21 AM   #96  
Glitter Queen

Smile USE IT UP

Oh ladies, I do encourage you to "use it up". My mom was a quilter and when she passed away in 1996, she had the entire loft of a two car garage filled with plastic totes of fabric and yarn and one full closet full in the house. Just last month, I finally gave away the last of these materials (the stuff I didn't use.) I'm trying to be subtle here but I think you get the message. I too love paper but I use it and guess what? Companies keep making NEW papers that I love just as much and continue to buy. Oh my gosh, your posts do make me laugh, though. You see, I am the queen of the new gadget. Now I am longing for the new Xyron Design Maker label kind of thingie that starts shipping this month. Has anyone seen that? Have a Scrappy kind of day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2006, 01:11 PM   #97  
Stampin' Fool

I am trying to USE my basic grey paper! I bought some on Saturday and used almost half of the kit! (I bought the "Lucky" collection). I went back to the store and Sunday and DIDN'T buy replacement paper. (not the same kind anyway.) Is it wrong to be an accumulator? Really??

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2006, 01:47 PM   #98  
Die Cut Diva

I have already admitted I am an 'accumulator' and that I have a problem even though it is all my mom's fault (who is also a big enabler because she has offered me more yarn)..........big breath........and so I plan on changing that this year.

I will resist the urge to wander through Walmart and Zellers looking for 'deals' on things I wouldn't buy from Michaels but will buy from W or Z because I found it cheaper.

I will resist the urge to wander through Home Depot, Peavy Mart, and the $$$ stores looking for intersting storage or embellishment opportunities. Along this line, I will refrain from shopping Lee Valley Tools.

I will learn how to use that craft sewing machine I bought over 3 years ago, and no, I don't need the colored thread accessory kit to get started.

And - I am redoing my craft room in a few months. I pledge to organize it so that it is easier to use, and will throw out each scrap of paper less than 1"x1"

Keep ya posted....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2006, 06:33 PM   #99  
Gallery Gazer

Tammy - you could be my twin! I just realized I have 3 composition books, 8 single subject notebooks and 5 packs of regular notebook filler paper in bags laying in my bedroom. I am going to get out of my funk and MAKE CARDS TO SEND TO PEOPLE!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2006, 04:42 PM   #100  
Gallery Gazer

Default WENT THRU A BOX!!!

I'm so proud of myself! Cleared a corner of my bedroom. I have a box of big girl size clothes I was saving for my #2 girl. I opened it and they are all the size my #2 is wearing now! WOOOHOOO! So, now I just have to put them away in #2's closet and take the stuff she won't wear on to Goodwill. Will go thru her dresser while I'm at it and the rest of her closet. The big one has been purging and I've actually been letting go! Some of the cuter/pricier things I'm saving for #2, but letting most of it go knowing I can BUY new! Phewww! My husband will be so happy to get to his dresser when he gets home!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2006, 04:45 PM   #101  
Gallery Gazer

AND - I'm going thru my scrapbooking supplies tomorrow. I rarely get anything done in that department anymore and I'm going to share what I have with my friends who actually get stuff done. And the carrot I'm dangling for myself is that I'll be able to buy NEW stuff and not feel guilty!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2006, 01:57 AM   #102  
Rubber Obsessor

Default hoarder, me?

ok, I've been into stamping about 6 weeks, and it's already starting to show - the hoarding I mean!

Recently my boss told me she can't believe how much less we spend on supplies for the office since I started working for her. I actually cracked up laughing! IF she only knew, I don't have that habit at home with my stamping!

I told her the other gal really had stuff in the drawer that I've never used or needed (just how many "flags" can a paralegal really use?). IF she only knew about my "I might want to use this someday" stash at home!

She has been the recipient of a handmade card and said "I wanna learn how" which is fine, but not only is she a lawyer, she has a gift shop/coffee shop that is super cool, and her husband has a construction company!

She actually hoards post it notes in all sizes. Every time she hits Cosco or Sam's club she buys more "fun" colors and sizes! (We won't even talk about the office supply stores!) She has 1/2 a desk drawer full. I have to sneak them out of her drawer when I run out!

Now are post it notes any worse then stamps? I mean really.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2006, 11:50 AM   #103  
Gallery Gazer

And I'm tellin' ya! The cute little match box covers and other little coverlet things you can do with post-its!!! I, um, buy those too.

BUT...I threw away scraps!!! I'm so proud of myself! I'm going with the 1 x 1 rule - I should make it bigger! Okay, how is everyone doing with their "purging"?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2006, 12:30 PM   #104  
Die Cut Diva

I have actually made some progress! (See my earlier "scary" pics) I've got three more boxes to be donated to various ministries at our church, and threw out 2 garbage bags worth on Saturday. I'm also working on a plan for upcoming stamp camp projects based on what I have on hand. Now there's a novel thought!! I've gone from an 8 foot table to a 6 foot, but think that will actually work out better for me in the long run as there's less space to fill. I'm not ready to post pictures yet, but I promise I am improving...
Be joyful because you have hope. Be patient when trouble comes, and pray at all times. Romans 12:12 (NCV)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2006, 09:54 AM   #105  
Gallery Gazer

Sorry, I've not been back but YAY Trish!!! WOOOHOOO! I organized and pitched a bunch of my scrap pieces of paper, pulled out the colors I can no longer demo, etc. Was proud of myself. How's everyone else doing?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2006, 11:05 AM   #106  
Hardware Hotshot

I have serious hoarding issues!!
#1 Ribbon--major problem here--it is all so pretty, if I use it I might not be able to find the same ribbon again
#2 Patterned paper - by the way Hobby Lobby has all of their 12x12 paper 6/$1.00 this week. Now if my kids would stop puking and pooping so I could have an hour to go.
#3 Hodgepodge Hardware -- I need to use that stuff.
Member #2888
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2006, 08:51 PM   #107  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigfingers
...and then I found something in my drawers the other day.
lol I hope that went ok.

Y'all are doing so good to admit you have a problem. I didn't fully appreciate the importance of this step until I saw Dr. Phil's recent hoarding episode where this older schoolteacher had completely FILLED his family's home with so much stuff that you couldn't walk around inside without having to squeeze past stacks of stuff, and over half of it was ruined because it hadn't been properly cared for (two cats lived in the house and used the whole place as their personal litter box). It got so bad that his wife bought a trailer and was living in that in the yard while the husband lived in the house, and then he moved in with her and started filling the trailer with stuff! And even with that, he didn't think he had a problem!

I really liked how in this situation where the hoarding this guy did was not a biochemistry issue, the problem can be partially boiled down to, "Is all this *stuff* more important than your family's happiness?" I"m terrible for choosing instant gratification over long-term happiness and long-term goals like weight loss, saving for a car, and having a pleasantly organised home. I've decided to start asking myself things like, "are these cookies more important than getting down to my pre-depression weight?" and "will these $50 in super-cute crafting supplies be more beneficial than having a car?" it can be so hard for me to swallow the idea of going without (no pun intended) so when i see people do it without thinking twice, and their world doesn't end, it gives me some hope for myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2006, 07:41 PM   #108  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel
It got so bad that his wife bought a trailer and was living in that in the yard while the husband lived in the house, and then he moved in with her and started filling the trailer with stuff! And even with that, he didn't think he had a problem!

I really liked how in this situation where the hoarding this guy did was not a biochemistry issue, the problem can be partially boiled down to, "Is all this *stuff* more important than your family's happiness?"
We had a neighbor like that. She had so much "stuff" that it filled her house completely and spilled over into her yard, so much that sometimes you couldn't reach the front door. I felt so sorry for her. It seemed like she spent all her spare time just shuffling stuff around, putting it in boxes, carting it off to swap meets and then coming back with more and more stuff. This went on for at least 10 years and it seems like she never did get over it. I'm sure it was a form of mental illness. She finally moved away and they just tore her house down because it was such a huge mess!

Visit my Demo Website

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2006, 05:51 PM   #109  
Gallery Gazer

Hey Fellow Hoarders!!! How is everyone doing? Anybody have any "letting go" stories to share since we last chatted? We had a yard sale and I let a lot go and didn't bring much at all home!!! I was proud of me. Now, I need to keep working at moving piles out of the house! I started subbing quite regularly at school, so my momentum slowed down a lot, but summer is soon approaching. It's already hot, so I guess I can sit in my room and go thru the piles in the A/C. Hope all is well with everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2006, 06:04 PM   #110  
Forum Fanatic

My grandparents-in-law had accumulated a LOT of stuff over the past fifty-six years. They had their own home, the "little house" on the same lot that they used to live in, and also a barn full of personal items, plus barns and sheds full of tools and equipment. they recently had to downsize, had an auction and got rid of what seems like over 80% of their stuff between that and taking truckloads to the landfill. They did awesome! The amount of stuff they've kept is still a little challenging to fit in their new home but much more manageable than it was. So there's some hope even for the older generation to change their hoarding ways.
Reply With Quote Likes