Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-02-2006, 07:07 AM   #41  
Gallery Gazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NancyRuth - welcome to Hoarders Anonymous! I have at leasted mounted my stamp sets. I even went thru some of my DC ones to "give away" - couldn't give all the give away ones cause I would see something cute done with them, so now I can't give them away. I mean - they are DC'd! How could I get them back! Unless...I give them to friends who will let me come and visit them. AND YOU KNOW WHAT? I haven't had to visit them!!!! But, I still have some I haven't/can't give away.

If you want to get deep - there are all kinds of deep reasons for not letting go....BUT...if I want to get some of the new stuff...gonna have to get rid of the old stuff. Tell my kids this with toys all the time!!! I say "if you want new toys - gotta get rid of this old/worn stuff" Hmmmm....you'd think I'd follow my own advice. Probably why my house/their rooms look the way they do...mom can't let go, so why should they!

Gotta go see if we can get the new artificial tree into the attic! I'll be back!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2006, 07:09 AM   #42  
Rubber Obsessor

I, too, have lots of stuff but I think I'm just a semi hoarder. A few months ago I tried to organize my stamping stuff and it really sunk in as to how much unused stuff I have. So I decided to start using and stop buying. I made all my Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's cards without buying anything!! That's a total of 90 cards. USE USE USE
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2006, 07:12 AM   #43  
Gallery Gazer

AND NO WAY - I'll decide when the thread dies! So there! AND...from the number of ladies that seem to pop in...I don't think it's going away just yet...
We'll form our own support group! First thing - I don't think there should be mention of those "sales" on this thread ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2006, 07:13 AM   #44  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm Debra and I'm a stamping hoarder.

It's really hard for me to use cool stuff. If I use it, I won't have it anymore. There's some kind of fear that if I use things or let them go I will have an empty space that won't be filled.

I'm trying to keep in mind that things come in and out of style. The patterned paper I bought five years ago isn't so cool anymore. And what am I going to do with liquid applique in 10 colors? Or the thousands of eyelets? I could go on and on. If I don't use what I have when it's "in," there's a good likelyhood I'll never use it. I might as well take my money outside and light it on fire.

I didn't make any New Year's resolutions, but perhaps using what I have would be a good one. Anyone else want to join in?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2006, 07:18 AM   #45  
Gallery Gazer

I'm trying to use all my scrap paper in my cards...not cut anything more than the card. I have sooooo many paper scraps that I could do SOMETHING with. I think I'll start by pitching out some of those scraps. Someone please tell me it's okay to pitch some of that paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2006, 08:07 AM   #46  
*I stamp, therefore I am......*

Default You have my permission...

to throw away your scraps!!!!:???: Now get to it!!!
today is a gift, enjoy every minute....

Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more. ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2006, 08:12 AM   #47  

wELL rhank goodness I am not alone. It is qonderful to know thAT others share in this gleaning and gathering and garnering(?) of our beloved stampin stuff. Thank you ladies, I will check in and see whats going on later. Going to see King Kong if DH gets home from the gym soon!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2006, 09:57 AM   #48  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonTigg
I am terriable! Plus I am very material so I hate to share my stuff I could never do a stamp camp or anything I am so bad!
I'm with Aubrey on this one. It's MINE all MINE!!

Even if I haven't used it, I will eventually and I do blame this on my parents, I'm an only child so I never ahd to share:rolleyes:

I buy and buy but by the time I go to do a layout the paper is old and outdated, so I can't use ti but I can't get rid of it either b/c there will be a time when the paper is usable!

I NEED help!!!!! Keep me posted as to when the next step starts!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2006, 10:14 AM   #49  
Inking Addict

HI my name is Dee and I too am a horder. I love stuff! I have tonnes of paper, stamps and other scrapooking supplies. My basement is full of rubbermaid totes with books, magazines, all sorts of crafty stuff that I may use one day so don't throw it out. Do not let me loose at a sale because I'll buy all sorts of things I know I can use one day. I wish that one day would come and my basement would be nice and tidy

Dee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2006, 10:26 AM   #50  
Stampin' Fool

Default YEA!!! Hoarders Anonymous!

Hi my name is Barb and I am a hoarder too! I buy 3 or 4 of everything and if I use one I go buy more! (Mostly stamping related but not all) I share once in a while if I have alot of what someone wants, but mostly I'm kind of stingey(sp?) I have a real struggle with myself when I think of getting rid of some of my stamps. If I haven't ever used it, I think : Gee I should give that to someone, then reason steps in and says "You might need that someday" so I keep it! Thanks for listening!

Last edited by ladylinks; 01-02-2006 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: I can't spell!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2006, 10:27 AM   #51  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi. I'm Heather and I'm a hoarder too. So much so that I promised to myself that in 2006 I would only buy what I truly needed for a project (and Ink refills if needed.) It's out of control.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2006, 11:01 AM   #52  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by NANCYRUTH
...Do we have to call Dr. Phil or Oprah, or worse yet go on Jerry Springer???...
Hey NancyRuth:

Let's try Dr. Phil and Oprah, first! I'm afraid if we try Jerry Springer, we may have to show his audience our hoo-hahs!

A "hoarders swap" sounds *FUN*!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2006, 12:06 PM   #53  
Gallery Gazer

A Hoarders' Swap, eh? Hmmmm.....sounds interesting. How would we approach this? Or - do we want to do a box deal. Did this with the Chatters thread. Someone started a box full of stuff and the next person took some out and added stuff in. If anyone is interested...I'd be willing to start this off. Let me know what you think. Also I think trying real hard to use or share away some of our stuff would be a good plan to start. AND to keep posting and say "HEY!!! I parted/used __________________ today!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2006, 12:54 PM   #54  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampintree
I'm trying to use all my scrap paper in my cards...not cut anything more than the card. I have sooooo many paper scraps that I could do SOMETHING with. I think I'll start by pitching out some of those scraps. Someone please tell me it's okay to pitch some of that paper.
The best way for me to get rid of stuff is to put it in a bag and ask my DS to throw it away on his way out. He is ruthless. He also knows it will not get thrown out unless he does it for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2006, 03:20 PM   #55  
Die Cut Diva

Red face I too am a hoarder.. lol But mine is strange

I love that people have done this, a thread just for hoarders. That's great!! Ok, now for the silliest post yet..Ready for this- along with the stamp sets, I also hoard vintage salt and pepper sets.. I have over 20 sets now- my DH just shakes his head and says that as long as I'm happy so is he.. Tho he is the HOARDER KING--- he hoards electronic stuff.. There are more power cords to misc items than I can count, a box of makings to build about 6 pc's-- that's not counting the games for the pc. rofl I have even taught the kids how to do it-- I also hoard books, all kinds. I still have books from when I was 8!!!! Over 20 yrs of books here- it's crazy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2006, 03:44 PM   #56  
Stampin' Fool

Wink

Ok, I've been reading this thread for two days, and as you can tell I didn't reply until now. (Maybe I haven't admitted it to myself yet)! But yes I am a hoarder. I am also a perfectionist and somewhat organized. I love all scrapping and stamping toys. (I have most of them). I agree with so many of you, I don't like to use my stuff because then I won't have it anymore. Sometimes I buy 2 thinking that way I'll use it... but I don't. I don't have a problem with using tools cause obviously I'll still have it. But the paper and embellishments are the real problems, I want to keep them forever! I also love boxes, I keep them thinking I might be able to use it, or store something in it at some point. I've though about this hoarding thing before and what I realized for myself is I like to collect (ok hoard) things that have potential. Meaning the possibilities are endless with my collectibles (stamps, papers and other craft supplies). That is why I don't collect dolls or figurines, because to me they don't do anything. I guess we each have our own reasons for doing all the strange things we do. I'm relieved to hear so many of you do the same things I do. Thanks for letting me admit my hoarding, but I must go now I have 3, 50% off coupons I must use today! LOL!

Dina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2006, 03:48 PM   #57  
Hardware Hotshot

love it !!!!!!
I am one of you!
my people!

what a relief!
we ***have*** to move in 9 months (does anyone have a miniscule house for sale in Edmonton?) and I'm going to start packing right away!
...No one who knows me thinks this is weird in the slightest.

the great thing though, is that alll the strange knickknacks tht I've been hoarding because I am an aspiring collage artiste....
( so named by my 3rd grade teacher and it stuck in my self-identity file somehow, so I keep everything ! )
...anyway, thirty-odd years later, all these little things are coming together since the introduction of stamping to my life , ( was it just ? )three years ago.
the candles, the fabric, the papers and gift boxes,the tools, the neat old spare parts, the dishes,the beads and buttons and broken jewelwry....
I can make a card with real vintage aged weathered little hardware thingies, and decorative papers and fabric and fibers and ribbon and plus aaaaaallllll the new cool state-of-the-art SU! stuff.... at a moment's notice!
(Well several moments... I need to search a little bit but definately in a couple of glorious hours... masterpieces are created!)

and the STAMPS!!!!! I collect for the sake of having a complete, sensible versatile wardrobe of stamps, as well as the actual joy of making my particular style of cards, and the satisfying, smug, sensation that a nice inventory (from a customer's/student's point of view) can bring. That's a very lofty calling for a bunch of wood and rubber!

I can barely afford it but it's still cheaper than therapy....my justification.
What's yours?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2006, 04:33 PM   #58  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Kaylyn

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaylynConover
...Uh, my name is Kaylyn. I am a *fervent* hoarder. I'm so bad: I hide stuff from DH. Only to forget that I ever bought it, much less have hidden it. I just found all the papers that I bought to scrap my Las Vegas photos. That was 2.5 years ago.

jeanstamping2 and I have to do some "stampers therapy" to get over our conditions!!! ~ Kaylyn

Must get together and Stamp SOON!!!!!! I having withdrawls from Fun and Laughter.

Most of all TALKING!!!........

I buy and sometime forget where I put it too. and then find it two or three year later..

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2006, 04:42 PM   #59  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Nancy Ruth

"Throw it away"

No way!!!!!!! I might need it.....???

Well I might. I only throw away tiny pieces of paper. If it's 1" X 1" I keep it and use again. That why my craft room is starting to look really full again.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2006, 05:50 PM   #60  
Gallery Gazer

Have I opened Pandora's box? I'm also an office supply hoarder and I like how Dina mentioned how things have "potential"! Makes me feel better because it all DOES HAVE POTENTIAL!!! Hmmm....going to try real hard to start letting go.......................maybe later. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2006, 03:47 AM   #61  

Default Good morning Fellow hoarders!!!

fell better just tal\king about this stuff... back to work today after a wonderful 4 days off!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2006, 04:39 AM   #62  
Gallery Gazer

Today I'm preparing a bag of stuff to give to our church crafters group...I hope. I get going thru stuff and the idea memories flood back...*sigh* BUT I'M HAPPY!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2006, 05:32 AM   #63  
Die Cut Diva

I'm joining in to admit I have a HUGE problem with hoarding - and to make matters worse I'm also very disorganized. My major goal for this year is to clean up my crafting area. I know I've got leftover supplies from twist paper fans I made my family for Christmas fifteen years ago, because I'll use it someday, right?!? I've already donated a few bags to the children's and women's ministries in our church, but there's way more that needs to go. And I know I would amaze myself with my creativity if I could actually find my supplies!! Anyway I've vowed not to buy any more stuff until my current supply is purged and organized - which will probably also help the family budget, LOL! And then hopefully I can also make some gorgeous stuff with my abundance of goodies.

And just so you all feel better about yourselves, I'm posting pics of my personal pit - hopefully it will be worthy of featuring in Rubber Stamper in a few months (snort)

~Trish
Attached Thumbnails
Hoarder's Anonymous-craft-room-1.jpg   Hoarder's Anonymous-craft-room-2.jpg  
Be joyful because you have hope. Be patient when trouble comes, and pray at all times. Romans 12:12 (NCV)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2006, 05:46 AM   #64  
Stazon Splitcoast

I prefer to be called...

An Accumulator

just sounds nicer, huh?

And yes, I have the same problem. But I'm getting better. I can see the countertop now. And all the pads and supplies are filed back where they belong when I finish a project.

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2006, 06:16 AM   #65  

Default chief procurement official

"I prefer to be called...

An Accumulator"

good one, I used to be called the "chief procurement officer" at my old Job!!!

I am just good at acquiring stuff, I suppose it could be considered a skill....

I will also get another bag going for the church ladies thrift shop, they LOVED

all the stamps and ink pads I donated in the summer and they were a big hit

at their holly fair. So Iknow my gleaning leftovers are going to appreciative hands.....

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2006, 10:01 AM   #66  
Insane Embellisher

Default basic grey!!!

I have been hoarding Basic Grey paper. I use it 'sparingly' and am getting better. But when I buy it, I get at LEAST 4 sheets cuz I just CAN'T run out!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2006, 05:32 PM   #67  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOCKEY FAN
I have been hoarding Basic Grey paper. I use it 'sparingly' and am getting better. But when I buy it, I get at LEAST 4 sheets cuz I just CAN'T run out!!!!
Ha Ha! I do the same thing with Basic Grey! I made my DD an address book and used almost all of mine. I went to archivers immediately to buy more, AND THEY WERE OUT! OMG!!!!
I still can't replace one of the papers cause they don't have it in stock! I have gone back 3 times!!!
I did buy the little metal art words. I MADE myself use one. It was horrible. I caught myself saying to myself "I will get another package or two when I go there this weekend" They are really cute!
BTW, accumulator, hoarder, accumulator, hoarder, ACCUMULATOR! That sounds much nicer! (even though it still means hoarder) I love to accumulate!

Last edited by ladylinks; 01-03-2006 at 05:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2006, 05:09 AM   #68  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanstamping2
I have Fabric that I bought from 1978 and I never used it. It's in Great shape. I think I have about 12 different Yardages of fabric.
OMG - me too! Only I probably have closer to 30 yards of fabric from 1978 and up until the early 90's (last time I touched my machine).

I'm going to clean it all out someday...just too hard to even think about!

<--Wishing I was cruising (Caribbean Princess, May 2010)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2006, 05:11 AM   #69  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by NANCYRUTH
I have lots of stamp sets that are not even mounteds and have been discontinued!! But I still want to keep them because I WILL use them one of these days!!!!
..on a roll now aren't I????:rolleyes:
Yep, that's me too! Another thing to put on evilBay one of these days!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2006, 05:14 AM   #70  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Yeah, but what about the 4 quart-size zip-locks I have with scrap rubber from the stamps?! It's already come in handy subbing for dimensionals (that I couldn't find because of all my stuff). I KNOW there's a need for scrap rubber (and I have a plastic shoe box full of paper scraps too!)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2006, 05:17 AM   #71  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by synamon
I also hoard vintage salt and pepper sets.. I have over 20 sets now- my DH just shakes his head and says that as long as I'm happy so is he.. Tho he is the HOARDER KING--- he hoards electronic stuff..
I swear I've found all my clones here! I LOVE S&P sets - vintage, but new ones too!!! And we must have at least 4 computers/monster monitors in the house that are SO old and need to be disposed of! Hubby actually asked me the other day if anyone has a need for a dot-matrix printer!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2006, 05:20 AM   #72  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tah Dah!
And just so you all feel better about yourselves, I'm posting pics of my personal pit
OK, Trish - how'd you get in MY house to take those photos!

(hey - I'm trying to get to my 3,000th post in this thread alone!)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2006, 06:07 AM   #73  
Gallery Gazer

GO LORI!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2006, 06:10 AM   #74  
Gallery Gazer

Trish - that is my stamping table right now too! You're a brave woman. I keep thinking if I got on Clean Sweep - that's where they would tell me to get rid of stuff. We'd have to fight over that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2006, 06:13 AM   #75  
Gallery Gazer

Hi, I'm Jenny, and I horde.

Actually it's on my New Year's resolution to stop hording. I horde cards I made, cards I swapped for and don't really like, just in case I can get an idea off of it. Then there's ribbon, patterned card stock, buttons, dollar store finds, boxes of all shapes and sizes, magazines.... you get the picture. I even need to clean out my hard drive. I have so many cards saved on there that I want to CASE, but then never do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2006, 06:14 AM   #76  

Default No Lori you are not alone!!!

Wild, Huh?? I also have a bead and vintage costume jewelry collection that rivals my stampin stuff! And I want to keep it all. I will have a little shop one day, I already have my inventory! ohhh I am scaing myself!:rolleyes:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2006, 06:40 AM   #77  
Die Cut Diva

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes...I'm a member of the hoard society also. I've "collected" stamping & scrapping items, quilting fabric, paper making molds, soap making supplies, yankee candles, aromatherapy oils, MAC cosmetics, and what not for awhile. Spent many years with my depression era grandparents and we usually stocked up on sale items...canned goods, TP, kleenex, soap, laundry detergent, etc. Think that "stocking up" is part of my brain's hard wiring. My thinking is that if we are ever snow bound...I'm sure to have enough to eat and something fun to do. LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2006, 07:38 AM   #78  
Gabfest Goddess

Wonder why we do WHAT we do...I actually did get a bunch of stuff (SU only) semi-organized over the long weekend. Felt good to do that...now just have to start working my SU! business, and hubby can get off my case about how much stamping stuff I have! Maybe we can try to get on Martha's show as a "special group" - that would be a hoot!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2006, 08:59 AM   #79  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Trish - that is my stamping table right now too! You're a brave woman. I keep thinking if I got on Clean Sweep - that's where they would tell me to get rid of stuff. We'd have to fight over that!
My hubby keeps saying that I should submit an application for that show, but I don't think I want to appear on TV punching out the organizer who tells me I need to get rid of half of it within two hours :razz:

~Trish
Be joyful because you have hope. Be patient when trouble comes, and pray at all times. Romans 12:12 (NCV)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2006, 09:01 AM   #80  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by basurok
Yes...I'm a member of the hoard society also. I've "collected" stamping & scrapping items, quilting fabric, paper making molds, soap making supplies, yankee candles, aromatherapy oils, MAC cosmetics, and what not for awhile. Spent many years with my depression era grandparents and we usually stocked up on sale items...canned goods, TP, kleenex, soap, laundry detergent, etc. Think that "stocking up" is part of my brain's hard wiring. My thinking is that if we are ever snow bound...I'm sure to have enough to eat and something fun to do. LOL.
I do the same thing!! All of our family members said they'd be coming to our house over Y2K - and I didn't even stock up on anything!! I always buy when it's on sale (and I usually have coupons, too) but at least I actually use all of that stuff!

~Trish
Reply With Quote Likes