Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-07-2020, 06:08 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! I mixed up my white cardstocks!!

I have a pile of white paper I can’t really tell apart. They are so close in size it’s hard to tell which is which. Anyone have an idea how to test each paper to find a more fool proof way of ensuring each paper is of the brand I think it to be. Thinking testing inks on them
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2020, 06:35 PM   #2  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

Do you have more of the papers in a file cabinet you can compare with?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2020, 08:19 AM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I do

I’ve been trying to match them but it’s there’s so much and it’s so hard to tell by hand and feel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Do you have more of the papers in a file cabinet you can compare with?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2020, 11:20 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Wendy, if they're that close, and both stamp very well, do you need to separate them?

I mostly use job ticket holders for cardstock, sorted by color. Identifying info is either cut off the package and slipped inside, and/or labels are stuck to the job ticket holders. The part with the three holes is trimmed off. They hold about 25 sheets of CS. Some people use heavy duty page protectors the same way.

Large scraps are mostly kept with full sheets. Since the holders are transparent, I can easily see scraps on one side and full sheets on the other.

For the paper I buy in reams (Neenah Classic Crest Solar White in 80 and 110 pound, most sheets are kept in the paper they're packaged in. A small amount is in job ticket holders and in the bottom tray of a cart (Ikea Raskog).

Most of my job ticket holders are from Office Depot, some Avery from Amazon:

Office Depot Brand Job Ticket Holders 9 x 12 Pack Of 20 - Office Depot

Amazon.com : Avery Job Ticket Holders, Heavy Gauge Vinyl, 9 x 12 Inches, 10 per Pack (75009) : Sheet Protectors : Office Products

If you have more paper than would be happy to live in job ticket holders or page protectors or you'd prefer a stacking system, I use these for the reams of Neenah, watercolor pads, etc. Most stacking trays are side loading (long side in front); I like these because they're front loading (short side in front). I used identical trays in the 1980s at my office!

If you wanted two types of paper in one tray, I'd suggest different colors, and you can make chipboard dividers to separate them.

Amazon.com : Officemate Front Load Stacking Tray, Letter Size, Black, 1 Tray (21032) : Office Desk Trays : Office Products

BTW, I just separated 80# and 110# cardstock that got mixed up together. Annoying, but I could do it better by feel not looking at it. :shock: But there's a big difference in weight, unlike your CS.

Good luck!
Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2020, 11:21 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 669 Likes on 421 Posts

what brands of cardstock do you know you have purchased?

for instance the whisper white from su has a coating on it to help dye ink stay on the top while you are doing solid image / silhouette type stamping,
something like versafine will not dry on that coating...

some whites have more tooth to them for say coloring with colored pencils.

or blending copic (alcohol ink markers) on them.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2020, 11:28 AM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

I did not know that Stacey about SU whisper. Huh. So that kind of makes dyes act like pigments?...as I recall, their inks are dyes right? Maybe this way they hope to get function (like heat embossing) from their own inks?

Cant use versafine? I'm out! LOL

Ok Wendy...I have been where you are..in fact I am right now. I pre-cut a bunch of CS and WC paper for card fronts. I only divided by weight for CS and just "wc". I have NO idea which WC paper is in there now...or CS for that matter. This was not one of my better ideas. My new white paper is labeled and not pre cut.

I also find it hard to feel the difference but many can do it, which is why I asked.

It is a good question if you can remember what papers you bought-and why did you get this white vs that white? If it was supposed to do something "better"?

You MIGHT have to bite the bullet...just use them. Test a small area and see how the ink works. (might ID it)

Do things where it does not matter (imho)-like using embossing folders; ink blending across the whole surface or spray inks, use cover dies and back it with a pretty DP or blended inks...or white on white if you use the same piece of paper. You can stencil on it.

Usually **personally** I find the differences between white papers (non coated) may have to do with how well it takes very detailed stamps (thus no versafine and I bounce), the shade of white and of possibly weight. Others may know more. Maybe they feel a paper folds cleaner or something?

Don't despair! You can use the paper in a lot of ways! And now we both know we have to do a better job with storing the whites. ;) If one only uses one thing like Neenah it is much easier. I just never do anything the easy way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
what brands of cardstock do you know you have purchased?

for instance the whisper white from su has a coating on it to help dye ink stay on the top while you are doing solid image / silhouette type stamping,
something like versafine will not dry on that coating...

some whites have more tooth to them for say coloring with colored pencils.

or blending copic (alcohol ink markers) on them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2020, 04:14 PM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I frequently end up with white paper that I can't figure out who made - I usually cut them into 4 X 5 1/4 pieces to use as inserts in cards where I have used a dark base for the card.

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2020, 05:55 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 669 Likes on 421 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cathy HView Post
I frequently end up with white paper that I can't figure out who made - I usually cut them into 4 X 5 1/4 pieces to use as inserts in cards where I have used a dark base for the card.

yep, Or I diecut them into shapes for white on white silhouette type cards If I really don't know which one it is for coloring purposes.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes