Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-17-2006, 05:47 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP, Do I or don't I?????

Ok ladies, I am so torn about the SU sign up promotion. So many things are going thru my mind that I can no longer think straight.
* I just started stamping in Jan. of this year and I am by no means any good. Most of what I have done I owe to my demo, Sandy, and all of you talented ladies here on SCS!! You all just reek of talent!!;)
*I only went to that first SU workshop for the chocolate martinis that were being served. I only had 3 of them, but in the end they each cost me $60.00!! $180.00 worth of SU stuff that very first night and I had no clue what I was doing - honest, I only went for the drinks!
*I hardly have time as it is to actually sit down, pull out my stuff and create anything.
*I am a SAHM that babysits during the day and I have an almost 11 yr. old son, 6 yr. old daughter, hubby, dog and 3 fish. I also have a part time job at night where my hrs. are either 7:00p.m. - 11:00p.m. or 7:00p.m. - 1:00a.m. & my hrs. vary each week.
*I just found out that I have spent over $850.00 :shock: since January on SU stuff. I'm still putting ice on my head over that bit of info....it knocked me right over when I saw that amount!!
*I have collected stamps and supplies like crazy (not just SU either!!) with good intentions of creating cool things.
*Alot of things I've collected over the last 10 months I have not even used yet, although the good intentions of creating cool things are still there.
*I am currently redoing our family room in the basement and putting a desk, table, etc. for my stamping stuff........will I use it??
*I am currently in a monthly stamping group and we are obligated to spend at least $20.00 for each get together. We have 8 more months to go with those meetings. Which means at least $160.00 for that alone.
Okay, I could go on a little more, but you get the idea...what do I do??? I'd be doing this to become a hobby demo only I think. I really don't have the time to turn this into a full blown business, yet I'm afraid about the quarterly sales quota and not meeting it.:
What do I do, what do I do!! Any suggestions one way or another?? Please help me decide. If you are a hobby demo, what made you decide to go for it???

Thanks in advance for any input!! ;)

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2006, 06:04 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Do yo uhave any friends that you could offer a discount to if you need to meet your quota? I find it EXTREMELY easy to meet my minimums and I honestly and not a great stamper. I'm pretty much a newbie. The only reason I'm getting better at it, is that I have to, in order to sell more. I'm not just a hobby demo but I'm not making a lot, yet. I put together occasional stamp camps and workshops that are cool and different from stuff I stole from here and that goes over really well and then I get orders.

I guess my answer is.. it depends. Do you intend to continue to order like this? Or will you hit a point with your club that you've ordered enough? If you think that you'll continue to order like this, then by all means sign up for the discount! What's the worst that could happen? YOu get a kit, alot of stuff at a great price then not meet your minimum at some point. You don't pay any extra for that.

Sign up deals are rare but there is no reason you couldn't wait till next month or next year to sign up if you still think it's something you'd like to do. In the grand scheme of how much you've spent is $30 off that big a deal right now?

I strongly suggest you get together with friends and crop or stamp together. It's the only way I get anything done. When I plan it.

Good luck with your decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2006, 07:04 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Wink It is a hard decision

Nobody can make the decision for you but here are a few ideas.

Just because you are new at stamping doesn't mean you can't do well with an SU business. You might even find that the pressure of impressing your customers helps you increase your talents in stamping You will make lots of friends (some more talented than you) both customers and other demos and can learn a lot from them. Some customers just don't want to be demos but are great stampers.

But to be more practical, can you afford the minimums if you don't sell anything (let's say your kids keep you too busy or something else comes up)? Are you spending this much anyway? Do you have a circle of friends that might buy from you? How will you sell products (classes, workshops, stampers 10).

I spend almost (but not quite) the minimums myself (the Canadian minimums are much higher than in the US - at around $400 US per quarter). I am currently doing some classes and am able to use that money towards my minimums. That's good enough for me as many of the things I'm buying aren't consumables (stamps, ink pads, punches etc) and are an investment. Also with classes it is your order and so you get to keep the hostess benefits.

I expect that I won't continue to order so much myself as I build up my supplies over time but I am hoping by then my customer base will be picking up my minimums for me. If not, then I haven't lost anything if I quit. Just the opportunity to pick up a bunch of stuff I'd buy anyway for a great discount.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2006, 07:07 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

If the minimums are your worry, consider The Angel Company. Their minimum is only $100 every 4 months. That's $25 per month or $300 per year. I can easily meet this quote just buying the basics like adhesives and paper

Hopefully the other wonderful ladies here can give you their suggestion that will help you make your decision.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2006, 07:07 PM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you need the discount.......hehe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2006, 07:17 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have to agree with Jeanne on this one!

You could really use the discount...not too mention all the other super fun perks of being a demo!!!

Start a stamping club and you will have NO problem meeting the sales quota for SU! Because of the quality and variety of the product...it sells it's self.

Look how fast you were hooked ;) I happens all the time with SU!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2006, 07:45 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erinsfl
Do yo uhave any friends that you could offer a discount to if you need to meet your quota?

I will gladly fill the role of "friend who gets my discount". It's a sacrifice, but I'd do anything for my SCS friends! ;) lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2006, 07:56 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

I am truly a hobby demo. I have only had one outside order in the last year. Would I like to have customers yes! I would love to show stamp with others, but like you mentioned I am busy with four kids, dog, cat and husband. Have I ever had a problem making my minumums myself, NO. $300 is very easy to make in a three month period and based on what you have said you spent since Jan. I would say you would love the discount!! I don't buy every set in the Catty, but I do keep cardstock and make items for my kids classmates on holidays and use supplies for homework projects. You would be surprised how many ways you can use stamp items. Sorry this is so long I just thought I would share my experience since you asked for a hobby demo's take. Whatever you don't be afraid to say yes because of what you feel is your lack of experience.

My Gallery, it's small but growing!

http://stampinwithtonya.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2006, 08:43 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also a hobby demo who did this for the discount. Like you, I sat down and realized how much I'd spent in a relatively short period on SU and other stuff when I started stamping and it just made sense to me to sign up.

I do a camp or stamp a stack or something about once a quarter. I have a teeny tiny customer base and recruited my best customer as a downline. I am truly my own best customer and whenever I think I might drop or not make my minimum, the new mini comes out or the big catty or something like that.

If you *need* more stuff, then now is a great time to sign up. The sets and other items you get are definitely worth the price. If you decide to drop, there is no penalty and you can sell or trade away the business items to other demos.

Good luck with your decision.

Check out my blog

Here's my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2006, 09:43 PM   #10  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debz1024
Ok ladies, I am so torn about the SU sign up promotion. So many things are going thru my mind that I can no longer think straight.
* I just started stamping in Jan. of this year and I am by no means any good. Most of what I have done I owe to my demo, Sandy, and all of you talented ladies here on SCS!! You all just reek of talent!!;)
*I only went to that first SU workshop for the chocolate martinis that were being served. I only had 3 of them, but in the end they each cost me $60.00!! $180.00 worth of SU stuff that very first night and I had no clue what I was doing - honest, I only went for the drinks!
*I hardly have time as it is to actually sit down, pull out my stuff and create anything.
*I am a SAHM that babysits during the day and I have an almost 11 yr. old son, 6 yr. old daughter, hubby, dog and 3 fish. I also have a part time job at night where my hrs. are either 7:00p.m. - 11:00p.m. or 7:00p.m. - 1:00a.m. & my hrs. vary each week.
*I just found out that I have spent over $850.00 :shock: since January on SU stuff. I'm still putting ice on my head over that bit of info....it knocked me right over when I saw that amount!!
*I have collected stamps and supplies like crazy (not just SU either!!) with good intentions of creating cool things.
*Alot of things I've collected over the last 10 months I have not even used yet, although the good intentions of creating cool things are still there.
*I am currently redoing our family room in the basement and putting a desk, table, etc. for my stamping stuff........will I use it??
*I am currently in a monthly stamping group and we are obligated to spend at least $20.00 for each get together. We have 8 more months to go with those meetings. Which means at least $160.00 for that alone.
Okay, I could go on a little more, but you get the idea...what do I do??? I'd be doing this to become a hobby demo only I think. I really don't have the time to turn this into a full blown business, yet I'm afraid about the quarterly sales quota and not meeting it.:
What do I do, what do I do!! Any suggestions one way or another?? Please help me decide. If you are a hobby demo, what made you decide to go for it???

Thanks in advance for any input!! ;)
You sound like the rest of us!!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 01:44 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

Guess I'm going to be the odd person out here. After reading the part of your post that says you haven't used what you've purchased yet, I would caution you not to decide to sign up too fast. Yes, the starter kit is a great price right now, but if you don't have the time to use it, it's just more "stuff".

Relax, get familiar with your stamps, and sign up when the time feels right.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 03:09 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Also, you are obligated to the stamp club you joined. I would never break my obligation to the stamp club.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 03:09 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momofoneson
Also, you are obligated to the stamp club you joined. I would never break my obligation to the stamp club.
I should say, unless you are actually going to be a demo and fulfill your commitment to the stamp club, I would not sign up until your year is done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 06:24 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

One of the great things for me is that you don't have to be a creative genius to be a SU demo. SU wants you to suceed and sets you up for success with lots of resources and ideas. You could hold an event every month and never use an original idea. SU! makes it easy. That was my biggest fear when I signed up but I sat down with my potential upline and she showed me some of the resources I would have if I signed up. Talk with your upline about your concerns and ask her what she and SU does to help.

Talk with your potential upline and your family. You'll figure out what is the right decision for you.

"Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment" -Ben Franklin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 06:48 AM   #15  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I say what have you got to lose if you sign up?? You get a great deal on the starter kit, you can trade away the stuff you have or won't use, and after your first 2 quarters basically (if you sign up in October, or November you have until the end of March to make your first $300 minimum) if you feel it isn't for you you just go into pending and are dropped eventually...
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 07:47 AM   #16  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

*I am a SAHM that babysits during the day and I have an almost 11 yr. old son, 6 yr. old daughter, hubby, dog and 3 fish. I also have a part time job at night� *Alot of things I've collected over the last 10 months I have not even used yet�
Sure, you could be a hobby demo and not spend time doing workshops, but if you can�t find time to stamp for yourself, how are you ever gonna find time to run a business, even a hobby business?

Quote:

*I just found out that I have spent over $850.00 since January on SU stuff.
Had you been a demo, you could have saved some money this past year, but it sounds like you really don�t want to keep spending this way. Being a demo may only make this worse as you can justify your expenses with �but I got it at a discount�.

Quote:

What do I do, what do I do!! Any suggestions one way or another??
I see you�ve gotten a lot of advice from demos (hobby and business alike), so my comments might not be appreciated by many. But I have to say NOT EVERYONE CAN BE A DEMO just because you like to stamp. If we were all demos, no one would ever make their minimums unless they were big shoppers!

You make a couple of comments that leave me thinking that you feel your spending might be out of hand. If that�s true, then becoming a demo will only make things worse. You�ll spend more on supplies you don�t have time to use. I�d say, try to budget yourself � only purchase the minimum (or what ever you feel comfortable spending) at your stamp club meetings. Make a deal with your self that you won�t buy another stamp set until that last set you bought it mounted and you�ve made something with it. Develop a list of �must have items� and buy from that list to cut back on impulse purchases.

SU! Will continue to have periodic specials for signing up. When you�re ready, do it. I�m not trying to discourage you, but if someone has to talk you into signing up to be a demo then maybe the time isn�t right.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:50 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

This would be the way I would do it. Do you still have a big wish list, are alot of the standard items that are in the starter package things you do not have yet. If so, then join up now and get the discount. If you don't make your minimum in the next quarter at least you will have gotten quite a few things to keep you going and when you finally do have more time and want to make a go of this buisness wise you can join up again. Now, in saying this, if you already have alot of the stuff in the starter kit then I would hold off. Enjoy what you have, set up your stamp room, make a set time every week that is just for you and your stamping, even if it is only an hour. Start creating and enjoy and have fun at your club. Once you are ready, you will know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 11:24 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

I'm in Canada and our minimums are different. But when I first saw SU, I was hooked. I wanted to sign up sooner than I did but I needed to get the money together for the kit. I decided to sign up because I had spend at least $100 a month on stamps and more if you count cards, wrapping paper, gift bags, etc. Now I can make my own. With my good friend buying also, we figured I would have no problem meeting the quarterly minimums.
I had my first workshop at my house and had over $800 in sales. I am a business demo and try to recruit, I have 5 people in my downline that are actively selling and also recruiting. I've been at it for just over 2 years. I pay for all my stamping stuff with the money I make, and then some.
I'm pretty much a SAHM, I have a 17 yr. old and a 10 yr. old. With what I make with SU, I don't need to work. Sure I would make more money elsewhere, but I would still have to buy my stamps, pay daycare, gas, clothes, work someone else's hours, etc. and my life would be more hectic. This way I am home for everyone.
I have a stamping room that we just recently re-did. I do claim my income on my taxes and use some of my household expense on my taxes, like electricity, water, gas, etc.
I have 3 Stamper's 8s on the go, and I offer numerous classes, cardmaking and scrapbooking.
I say do it. Pace yourself, find a customer or two. Hold an open house once a quarter to help pay for your addiction. If you're spending your minimums now, why not get rewarded for it, get a discount, get Great Rewards, free stamps, etc?
Kelli
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 11:32 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

I have to say when I signed to be a demo with Stampin' Up, I had no question whether it was the right thing for me or not. My hubby and I talked it over and we both agreed it was a great opportunity.

SU will have recruit specials. If it is not money off the kit, it is extra stamp sets or sales goals you can meet to earn stamps. I guess I feel if you need to question your decision, it is probably not the one for you, right now. Later, when the kids are older, who knows, right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 02:00 PM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Wow!! Lots of different points of view to take into consideration!! Thank you all very much for all of your input!! I do have a few questions for my demo but have not talked to her yet. I do not plan on bailing on my monthly stamp group - that was never even a thought. If only there was a way that my monthly purchase from my group night could go toward my quota - IF I were to sign up that is. Since the promotion goes until the end of Nov., I'm not going to rush into this decision.

Thanks again to all who have given me their input - I am truly taking it all to heart!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 02:06 PM   #21  
Mad Swapper

I forgot to mention, all my recruits were at one time, in my stamper's group. I gave them all my discount on their monthly commitment. And if I ever need anything, I call one of them up and ask them to add to their order for me.

Kelli
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 02:19 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat
Sure, you could be a hobby demo and not spend time doing workshops, but if you can�t find time to stamp for yourself, how are you ever gonna find time to run a business, even a hobby business?

You make a couple of comments that leave me thinking that you feel your spending might be out of hand. If that�s true, then becoming a demo will only make things worse. You�ll spend more on supplies you don�t have time to use. I�d say, try to budget yourself � only purchase the minimum (or what ever you feel comfortable spending) at your stamp club meetings. Make a deal with your self that you won�t buy another stamp set until that last set you bought it mounted and you�ve made something with it. Develop a list of �must have items� and buy from that list to cut back on impulse purchases.

SU! Will continue to have periodic specials for signing up. When you�re ready, do it. I�m not trying to discourage you, but if someone has to talk you into signing up to be a demo then maybe the time isn�t right.
I agree with mostd of what Cat has to say. I am a SU demo, I love my job and I am passionate about the positive effect that being a demonstrator has to offer.

BUT. I think it is important to weigh your options carefully and decide what is best for you in your circumstances.

Good luck! And find a way to get stamping!

The dreamers of the day are dangerous people,For they dream their dreams with open eyes,And make them come true.- D.H. Lawrence

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2006, 09:05 AM   #23  
Embossing Fanatic

Do I get to reply to this message? Or am I too biased!?!

I think Deb has so much creativity that she is getting to be a better and better stamper with each project she shows me...especially after only 8 months of stamping! Deb, you are also so helpful and patient with the other girls in your stamp club...I love to watch you explain things to them as I sit back and eat snacks!

I know you would make a FABULOUS SU demo and if not now...one day! I just have a great feeling about you!

Good luck with your decision!!!

Sandy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2006, 09:11 AM   #24  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Debz--go for it. The stuff sells itself.

I thought I would stick it out for the first quarter or two and drop pretty much right away. Lo and behold, a year and a half later, I am a Senior Supervisor with four recruits who basically dropped in my lap, and a steady customer base who seems to like my stuff! I do one event and one workshop a month--so it really doesn't have to take a huge amount of time.

Your job is just to introduce people so they can become as hooked as you are
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2006, 12:18 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

I am a SU demo, because this is what worked for me... the minimums in the US are $300 a quarter ( so $100.00 a month ) I understand a busy schedule that you have, and it could be really difficult for you to plan classes and camps and do demonstrations in someone elses home...
Consider all of your options if this is something you are considering...
Depending on how much your business grows you might not need the part time job ( believe it or not , granted this may take a while )
I LOVE , LOVE being a SU demo, but it is not necessarily for everyone...
so if you are considering signing up consider a few things:
What is your competition around you ( if there are 5 SU demo's in your area, you may want to consider another company, while also considering what people in your area are interested in , They may ONLY want SU stuff, or dont realize there is other stuff out there yet)
2) quarterly minimums that you would have to meet, SU's is $300 while as someone else mentioned TAC is less....
3) this to me is most important - Who would your upline be?
I say this because your Upline is your business support system, she helps answer your questions, and gives ideas, etc....
Talk to her and see what her opinion is....
I will say I LOVE being a SU demo, and it was my choice, and stick with the stamp club as you committed, but ask if you sign up if your demo will give you your 20% off on your orders, which makes a big difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2006, 09:24 PM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks again everyone for all the awesome words of wisdom. I will be meeting with my demo this week and going over more details about signing up as a demo and making my final decision then.

By the way.........

"I think Deb has so much creativity that she is getting to be a better and better stamper with each project she shows me...especially after only 8 months of stamping! Deb, you are also so helpful and patient with the other girls in your stamp club"

You're too kind, Sandy and give me far more credit then I deserve!!

Thanks again eveybody!!!

Reply With Quote Likes