Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-22-2017, 08:57 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat Embossing

I couldn't find a thread for this specific topic, if there is one maybe someone will direct me to it.

I'm new to all this and have been playing with all my new toys. While practicing heat embossing today, I can't seem to remove all the residual embossing power left behind. Maybe I'm not wiping my paper enough with the embossing buddy? Are there embossing powders that give you better results? I know it's going to take time to get the hang of things, just thought I would ask.

TIA!!

Carrie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2017, 10:17 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the Embossing Buddy and EK Sucess Powder Tool and use both, but find the EK a little more effective. Once in a while I even use both. Regardless, sometimes a little powder is left, and I keep a tiny paint brush handy to remove occasional stubborn powder. It happens. You can try to cover the entire area, IOW, don't do what I do, look away while using it.

I use a variety of powders, a lot of Ranger, some Hero Arts, Wow, others, and have tossed a couple that seemed lower quality, but don't remember what they were now.

Lots of shops carry the EK in case you're interested, just showing on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/EK-Tools-54-0.../dp/B00DN66D36
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2017, 10:48 AM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

Ahhh, I've seen Jennifer McGuire use the EK Success Powder Tool and wondered what it was, thanks! I think I watch all these videos and expect to sit down and do a great job like the experts do.

Today I've been using SU, WOW and some embossing powder from Hobby Lobby. The WOW is Candy Cane and it did o.k., as well as the ones from HL. The SU powder gave the best coverage so far, or I just got lucky, lol.

Thanks for the reply bjeans, now off to Amazon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2017, 11:22 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

I think Jennifer occasionally uses the Embossing Buddy. And a soft paint brush. I use two, one with a fine tip, one wider. They're occasionally needed if I'm heat embossing a background stamp that covers an entire card.

Others will probably have other useful info though. TMMV!*
And an oldie but goodie Jennifer video. There are others with heat embossing techniques - just google her name and "heat embossing" or you can go to her blog to search. My Favorite Crafty Things 2014: HEAT EMBOSSING + Discount Codes + Giveaways - Jennifer McGuire Ink

*Their Mileage May Vary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2017, 05:58 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

I use a paintbrush to brush off the excess (after a good all over with the embossing buddy) and then I turn the paper over and flick the back of the image with my finger a couple of times. This seems to get most of the excess. I do believe a generous dusting of the buddy before inking really helps, and I use SU or MS powders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2017, 07:28 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

You will get different results with different embossing powders, different cardstock, different weather!
Definitely dust your cardstock before stamping with Versamark or other ink.
I have found the 'ultra-fine' EP clings where you don't want it more than other types. With any embossing project I hold the stamped & embossing powdered card at an angle under a strong light to see all the errant EP and brush it off, sometimes even using a pin point.
It drives me crazy to have permanent errors on my embossed cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2017, 03:23 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

First things first. Be sure any and all background inking is dry. Also, be aware of fingerprints...powder will stick to them. I usually zap the card with a heat tool before I stamp the image to be embossed. I like the embossing buddy. I really powder up the card, being sure it is covered completely. Flick the back of the card stock to get any excess powder off, then I keep a tiny paintbrush handy to brush off any stray flecks of powder before heating my embossing.

My blog

My YouTube Channel

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2017, 07:25 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

You have been given all the tips I use to remove stray embossing powder before heating.I just want to say you can take your time. There is no hurry to heat it after you have got the powder on your cardstock. The timing factor could come in to play between stamping and pouring on the powder depending on what ink you stamp with; but generally any ink you can emboss over WILL stay wet longer which is the whole point.

Once the powder is on your stamped image, take all the time you need, blowing off excess, flicking the back of the card, use a tiny dry paintbrush...you don’t have to heat it until you are satisfied you have removed the strays.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2017, 09:51 AM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I mainly have trouble with EP when I am using black. So I use black ink, them clear embossing powder. That way, if a tiny area doesn't emboss well, it will look OK - as the outline will still be black - and if tiny specks of EP get on the project, they are hardly visible since they are clear. Works for me

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2017, 10:17 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Black EP is evil! LOL So agree with using black ink and clear, great point.

And yes to tapping. I tap before using a paint brush since that sometimes take care of stray powder. Sometimes I mess up a line when using a brush.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2017, 11:11 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Lots of good advice already. I would add that I tend to tap two ways! I flick the back of the cardstock and also hold it upright and tap it edge on to the table top.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2017, 03:34 PM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks to all of you for replying and giving me such useful information! I have this coming weekend all to myself, so I am going to play, play, play! It's supposed to be chilly and somewhat rainy here, what a perfect time to be inside and see what I can create.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2017, 01:22 PM   #13  
Inking Addict

This might be a stupid question, but I haven't used inks and the clear EF over them much. I know you have to use Versamark too. What is the pr0per way to do this? I have inked my stamp and then used the Versamark on the same stamp and then after stamping have used the clear powder over it. It seems to work ok.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2017, 09:38 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Jennifer McGuire, brilliant lady she is, figured out that a sand eraser will remove errant bits of melted embossing powder. She is so smart!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2017, 12:11 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButterbeanAView Post
This might be a stupid question, but I haven't used inks and the clear EF over them much. I know you have to use Versamark too. What is the pr0per way to do this? I have inked my stamp and then used the Versamark on the same stamp and then after stamping have used the clear powder over it. It seems to work ok.
You only need to use Versamark as well if you're using dye based inks (that's Classic if you're using SU!). Pigment inks and even the original Distress inks are good to go with embossing powder.

To do the Versamark/dye ink combo, most people put the VM on first, then the coloured ink (so they're not tapping the VM pad on an inky stamp and transferring the colour to the pad). If you're using a tool like the MISTI, you can do it completely separately - stamp with the coloured ink, wipe the stamp, stamp again with VM and sprinkle on the EP.

HTH!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2017, 06:43 PM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

All the core ideas are here. Best I can do is offer some tangent thoughts.

Some people run a dryer sheet over it first to help get rid of static cling. I havent tried this.

Do not build up static on yourself shuffling on a rug in socks, etc. You dont want it sticking to you either.

Dont be stingy with the dusting powder. I go far beyond where I plan to emboss bc EP gets everywhere. You can brush it off later. It's this side of that old joke "make up!" and someone comes in and goes "POOF!" with the big cloud.

Decide the exit route for the powder. I dont like to knock it off over places with glitter on it or flock for example. I am looking for a clean CS path off-easiest to tidy up.

Then I use a small spoon to control the EP instead of pouring right out of the jar if it is a small thing (vs a background).

You will notice the bloggers have plastics they use and they are constantly tapping the card through the whole application of the EP.

Yep, flick the card hard a couple times. You wont break it. I see people do this gentle little tippy tap. I am a brute. FLICK FLICK. Just dont knock it out of your hand-hold tight! (been there done that lol) I also tap the card on the table.

Then I use small makeup brushes to clear any stubborn/renegade bits and a small angled brush to get into the tight spaces. I can clean up a messy Versamark stamping that way too.

Black EP is infamous for being horrible. I like the black pigment, clear EP idea.

Even the best get errant flecks here and there at times years into it. Dont beat yourself up.

My other best tip...CLOSE the EP jar BEFORE you start the heat gun...for many reasons. People can think "on it's over there, it's safe". There is NO safe. You can move the gun around without thinking and tah dah! EP everywhere. That air reaches farther than people expect. So NOT a fun clean up. I have seen experienced people do this...they were distracted and not thinking. (raising hand)

Sounds like a lot but over time it becomes very automatic. (which is how you can have the EP jar disaster.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2017, 06:48 PM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

PSIf you feel it is a train wreck and you just want to wipe it off before you heat emboss....this can be done.

BUT keep in mind, Stamping with Versamark is a technique in itself. It leaves a "watermark" look, esp on darker CS.

So brush the EP off-do not try to use it again. Use the heat gun on the card and see what the versamark does. If it is ok-you can always stamp over it again and apply the EP. If it isnt, you may have to start over on another card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2017, 01:27 PM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

Yes, I flick the back. Quite a bit falls off. I will blow on the front and also use a fine brush to wipe away stray flecks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2017, 10:57 AM   #19  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

my only other thought is that glossy paper has more cling (in my experience) than any other type of paper. i would avoid glossy unless it is necessary. it CAN be done!
Reply With Quote Likes