Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grrr I'm not sure who I'm mad at more!!!

I had placed an order with Oh My Crafts and to be honest totally forgot about it as I had some things come up, so I went on my log on for them to see what the status was on the order.. mind you I've used them before and NEVER have had any problems whatsoever. Well the order said it was delivered Jan 30th, (mind you I've been working on this for over 2 weeks now) and the package was the cushioned mail envelope. So I called OMC and was told the tracking number that I would have to contact the Post Office.. so off I went and they told me well because it "fit" into your mailbox it wasnt required a signature and I needed to call the Postal Inspector to register a complaint.. so I come home and call in which I was given a case number and that someone would call me back within 48 hours.. so since this was a Wednesday that I started the process I said well I will call on Monday.. so I call on Monday only to be told.. oh the file says it is being investigated and it is closed... I was like WTH??!?!?!?!? so I said I wanted an answer and now another case was opened.. which again I was told I would get a call back within 48 hours with their findings.. so now its Thursday I was waiting on.. you know giving an extra 24 hours...

In the meantime I call back to OMC and tell them what I was told.. their reply well I'm sorry there is nothing to be done because it says delivered... :mad:

So during my wait time I decide to get together my tax return items and discovered that we had not rec'd my husband's W-2 .. talking to some of the other guys that works with him they all rec'd their's on or about the 30th of Jan.. so this leads me to believe that now not only is my package gone but his W-2 is now missing.. :mad: :mad: As the panic sets in because his W-2 is missing (ya know SS# on it and all and with the rise of identity theft) I was freaking out.. oh and forgetting ALL about my package that started the ball rolling on this mind you *sigh* I checked with my tax person after filing our taxes in which they said it was ok that our return was accepted and was in the process for refund.. which they have had some of their clients that their W-2's were stolen and a return was submitted for it and the refund they (the real person) was due is now in limbo until it gets staightened out ..

ok so back to the package.. sorry I'm so VENTING here!!!

I call back the PO to tell them what I discovered about the W-2 and now yet ANOTHER Case is opened and the other is closed.. GRRRRRRR !!!!!!!!! With that being said she proceeded to tell me well basically I'm SOL on the package it is gone and unless the company wishes to do anything there is nothing they being the PO will do..

So now yet ONE more time to OMC a call telling them what the PO has said and because I got "free shipping" there is no insurance on it and yes I'm basically SOL, BUT, hey if you want you can repurchase this again all at 50% off the price you paid (erm it was ON sale already).. so I guess if I want the items I will have to pay the full 100% GRRRRRRRRR

As I said not sure who I'm more mad at.. OMC.. the PO.. or the idiot who stole my mail!!!

*steps off soap box*

sorry just a bit GRRRRRRRRRRR'd
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

man. I would be steaming. I think it should be the company's responibilty until it is in your hands.

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Did you pay by credit card? if so contact them immediately.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I would be totally frustrated too! I think this is why many companies don't use the USPS to deliver packages. Unless you pay for insurance, they won't do a darn thing. I guess I can understand a business feeling it is out of their hands once they mail it, but from a customer service perspective (and just plain good business practices) it seems like they should either take the loss of the lost product, or the expense of the insurance if they want people to keep buying from them.

This same thing happened to me once, but luckily it was through UPS and the vendor took care of the claim and sent a replacement package. Of course, no UPS requires my signature on all deliveries, but at least I know I am going to get the package!

And I agree with Kristen - if you paid via credit card you should dispute the charge immediately!

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you did not receive your package then dispute the charges with your credit card company.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Sorry to hear about your lost mail.

The same has happened to me once :( My mom ordered something online for us and we never got it. We got the tracking number from the vendor and it said delivered. On calling the PO, it was the same story, case opened, no signature required so case closed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't be mad at Oh My Crafts. They did their part by mailing the package and giving it a tracking number.

If it were me, I'd be mad at the Post Office, but that's because my mail carrier has a bad habit of giving me other people's mail. It makes me wonder how much of my mail goes in someone else's mailbox. I take the mis-delivered mail to the right people, but nobody ever brings anything to me.

I once took a week's worth of mis-delivered mail to the post office and complained to the assistant postmaster. But he told me that cut backs were causing his carriers to be overloaded and that there was nothing he could do about it. My problem stopped when I got a mail lady. But recently, I got someone else's junk mail and noticed that the idiot male mail carrier is back on my route. Grrrrr....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Surely OMC have lived up to their end of the bargain? They posted it, they have aknowledement that it was delivered. Seems a bit rough on them that they have to be out of pocket when they have done nothing wrong.

Annoy annoy annoy them and then keep annoying them at the Post Office. they are the ones that have lost it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post

I once took a week's worth of mis-delivered mail to the post office and complained to the assistant postmaster. But he told me that cut backs were causing his carriers to be overloaded and that there was nothing he could do about it.

I have encountered lots of this. Only the post office tells me that the way to solve it is to rent a postal box at the post office! Our residential mail is in individual LOCKED boxes all in a metal "station" at the end of the street. So paying for a box too is insane.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

I am sorry for your frustration. A thought I have is that the post office has a department called "loose in the mails" yes thats what it is called. Packages and letters go there when they are damaged and a delivery address isnt readable or lost.

I would also like to add that maybe the reason the postal service is having the problems they are having is because of their antiquated ways. Fed Ex and UPS have good tracking systems. For some reason the US postal service tracking is always a problem.

Well thats my two cents worth.

Bonnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #11  
Embossing Fanatic

I'm so sorry for the frustrating situation!! When our mail was stolen, we had to file a police report. Two bills were late but once we forwarded the police report to them, all late fees were waived. I wonder if Oh My Crafts would handle things differently with a police report?

A couple of other posters also mentioned filing a dispute with your CC company - a great suggestion. I'm not sure what CC you use, but American Express has a wonderful theft/damage policy for anything purchased on your card within the previous 30 days. I ALWAYS make purchases with my AMEX then send an online payment the day I charge. That way I always have the AMEX purchase protection and my CC balance doesn't climb sky high. (PS..I am not affiliated with AMEX in any way!)

Again, I'm so so sorry! This whole situation sucks eggs. I'm sure it's not so much the lost product but the way you've been treated. :( What a shame Oh My Crafts is so shortsighted in this economy. An unhappy customer tells more people about their experience than a satisfied one. I've never ordered from Oh My Crafts and I won't be doing so anytime soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkerbelle2000View Post
What a shame Oh My Crafts is so shortsighted in this economy. An unhappy customer tells more people about their experience than a satisfied one. I've never ordered from Oh My Crafts and I won't be doing so anytime soon!
How was Oh My Crafts being shortsighted? By not refunding money on a package that says it was delivered? Word gets out that they do that, just think how many other people will say their "delivered" package didn't arrive.

It could very well be the Post Office's mistake ... they tend to make a lot of mistakes. Or the item could have been stolen out of the mail box. But nothing here points to it being the fault of the company where the OP placed her order.Oh My Crafts packaged the order and delivered it to the post office. The tracking number assigned to the package by USPS said it was delivered. The company did its part and to think otherwise is, well, a little "shortsighted".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

Melissa59, that's why I suggested the police report.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2012, 02:25 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks everyone for letting me vent.. my soapbox was dusty as I hadn't used it for a bit.. ok about a day or two (just kidding)

I used Paypal to pay for it, the bill me later system.. so not sure I can dispute.. I will def look into that..

Also someone else mentioned a police report esp since I'm thinking now my husband's W-2 is involved. I will ask my neighbor who I should call, she is an officer.

I know that OMC did their job, but I think what got to me was the way she had put it, well you got free shipping so of course there was no insurance. That isnt word for word, but close enough. Dont get me wrong she was EXTREMELY nice & sympathetic I just found that it odd the call back with 50% off thingy. Not sure how many that actually happens with.

As far as my PO well that place scares me!!! LOL By the time you get to the clerk as the line is usually a mile long you go wait what was I here for? They SO love their jobs *rolls eyes*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2012, 07:43 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

I hope that you are able to get this resolved.
Barbara

Last edited by barbara32ca; 03-06-2012 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: spelling mistakes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Can you dispute the charge with your credit card company?
I would never order from OMC again, if that happened to me!

Quote:

Originally Posted by franb63View Post
I had placed an order with Oh My Crafts and to be honest totally forgot about it as I had some things come up, so I went on my log on for them to see what the status was on the order.. mind you I've used them before and NEVER have had any problems whatsoever. Well the order said it was delivered Jan 30th, (mind you I've been working on this for over 2 weeks now) and the package was the cushioned mail envelope. So I called OMC and was told the tracking number that I would have to contact the Post Office.. so off I went and they told me well because it "fit" into your mailbox it wasnt required a signature and I needed to call the Postal Inspector to register a complaint.. so I come home and call in which I was given a case number and that someone would call me back within 48 hours.. so since this was a Wednesday that I started the process I said well I will call on Monday.. so I call on Monday only to be told.. oh the file says it is being investigated and it is closed... I was like WTH??!?!?!?!? so I said I wanted an answer and now another case was opened.. which again I was told I would get a call back within 48 hours with their findings.. so now its Thursday I was waiting on.. you know giving an extra 24 hours...

In the meantime I call back to OMC and tell them what I was told.. their reply well I'm sorry there is nothing to be done because it says delivered... :mad:

So during my wait time I decide to get together my tax return items and discovered that we had not rec'd my husband's W-2 .. talking to some of the other guys that works with him they all rec'd their's on or about the 30th of Jan.. so this leads me to believe that now not only is my package gone but his W-2 is now missing.. :mad: :mad: As the panic sets in because his W-2 is missing (ya know SS# on it and all and with the rise of identity theft) I was freaking out.. oh and forgetting ALL about my package that started the ball rolling on this mind you *sigh* I checked with my tax person after filing our taxes in which they said it was ok that our return was accepted and was in the process for refund.. which they have had some of their clients that their W-2's were stolen and a return was submitted for it and the refund they (the real person) was due is now in limbo until it gets staightened out ..

ok so back to the package.. sorry I'm so VENTING here!!!

I call back the PO to tell them what I discovered about the W-2 and now yet ANOTHER Case is opened and the other is closed.. GRRRRRRR !!!!!!!!! With that being said she proceeded to tell me well basically I'm SOL on the package it is gone and unless the company wishes to do anything there is nothing they being the PO will do..

So now yet ONE more time to OMC a call telling them what the PO has said and because I got "free shipping" there is no insurance on it and yes I'm basically SOL, BUT, hey if you want you can repurchase this again all at 50% off the price you paid (erm it was ON sale already).. so I guess if I want the items I will have to pay the full 100% GRRRRRRRRR

As I said not sure who I'm more mad at.. OMC.. the PO.. or the idiot who stole my mail!!!

*steps off soap box*

sorry just a bit GRRRRRRRRRRR'd
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2012, 08:32 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm failing to see how this could even remotely be considered OMC's fault. If OMC didn't have a tracking number from USPS, then there would be some grounds to blame them.

Anyone who pays for economy shipping and doesn't pay extra for insurance of that parcel is the one taking the gamble. So, in reality, it is the customer's fault for not selecting a shipping method with insurance. It is unfortunate that regular postage without insurance is not reliable as it should be but we all know that has been the case in the US and Canada for a long, long time.

I've ordered from OMC and other companies that ship to Canada via USPS with no insurance because the insured option ends up being more expensive than the items ordered. It is a gamble I'm willing to take. But, if the package goes missing, it is not the retailer's fault if they have done their part. In over two years of online shipping, I've yet to have a parcel go missing but that's not to say the next one won't. It's a gamble by the customer, pure and simple.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lharnishView Post
I'm failing to see how this could even remotely be considered OMC's fault. If OMC didn't have a tracking number from USPS, then there would be some grounds to blame them.

Anyone who pays for economy shipping and doesn't pay extra for insurance of that parcel is the one taking the gamble. So, in reality, it is the customer's fault for not selecting a shipping method with insurance. It is unfortunate that regular postage without insurance is not reliable as it should be but we all know that has been the case in the US and Canada for a long, long time.

I've ordered from OMC and other companies that ship to Canada via USPS with no insurance because the insured option ends up being more expensive than the items ordered. It is a gamble I'm willing to take. But, if the package goes missing, it is not the retailer's fault if they have done their part. In over two years of online shipping, I've yet to have a parcel go missing but that's not to say the next one won't. It's a gamble by the customer, pure and simple.
In my layperson's opinion.

If I place an order with a company online we have entered into an agreement. I will pay them a set price and they will provide the goods. If I have never received the goods then they have not been provided to my satisfaction. Businesses have insurance for this sort of eventuality or should have, it is a basic business to know that so much stock is going to be "dead" stock for whatever reason. OMC entered into the contract with the USPS. It is their obligation to ensure that their chosen contractees are able to complete the deal. If OMC doesn't trust USPS (or is unwilling to foot the bill when they don't deliver) then they are the ones with the option to not offer that shipping option.

It is not a gamble. It is a contract that is unfulfilled when there is reasonable expectation that the product should arrive. If anyone took a gamble it was OMC by not insuring that their contract was fulfilled.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
In my layperson's opinion.

If I place an order with a company online we have entered into an agreement. I will pay them a set price and they will provide the goods. If I have never received the goods then they have not been provided to my satisfaction. Businesses have insurance for this sort of eventuality or should have, it is a basic business to know that so much stock is going to be "dead" stock for whatever reason. OMC entered into the contract with the USPS. It is their obligation to ensure that their chosen contractees are able to complete the deal. If OMC doesn't trust USPS (or is unwilling to foot the bill when they don't deliver) then they are the ones with the option to not offer that shipping option.

It is not a gamble. It is a contract that is unfulfilled when there is reasonable expectation that the product should arrive. If anyone took a gamble it was OMC by not insuring that their contract was fulfilled.
I see what you are saying. But what about the buyer agreeing to that shipping method (and paying for that method)? I don't think a company should have to cover the cost of a loss if a postal company loses a parcel. That is beyond a company's control and they shouldn't be penalized for someone else's error. That would then put prices up for everyone if companies have to absorb that expense. Or they can opt to not send that method and only go with more expensive methods. PTI is a perfect example - they refuse to ship to Canada at the economy rates and many people refuse to order from them because of this. Also, I can't recall if the OMC website has it but I do recall seeing a disclaimer on some online shopping sites stating something to the effect that once the product leaves the warehouse and is put in the hands of the carrier, they have no further responsibility. I don't know how common that is but I've seen it somewhere :-)

Last edited by lharnish; 03-06-2012 at 06:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #20  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure you contact all the credit bureaus and ask for a security hold to be put on your credit report. Then if someone tries to open lines of credit using your husband's W2, they have to call you first before they proceed.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2012, 07:07 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I see what you are saying. But what about the buyer agreeing to that shipping method (and paying for that method)? I don't think a company should have to cover the cost of a loss if a postal company loses a parcel. That is beyond a company's control and they shouldn't be penalized for someone else's error. That would then put prices up for everyone if companies have to absorb that expense. Or they can opt to not send that method and only go with more expensive methods. PTI is a perfect example - they refuse to ship to Canada at the economy rates and many people refuse to order from them because of this. Also, I can't recall if the OMC website has it but I do recall seeing a disclaimer on some online shopping sites stating something to the effect that once the product leaves the warehouse and is put in the hands of the carrier, they have no further responsibility. I don't know how common that is but I've seen it somewhere :-)
Who the company ships with is completely within their control - if the company finds them too unreliable it is up to the company to change their shipping policy.

PTI is a perfect example of taking responsibility for their shipping choices and refusing to ship with an unreliable "company". I doubt a basic disclaimer is legal. It all has to do with the right to expect to receive items for which you have paid.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecheckerView Post
man. I would be steaming. I think it should be the company's responibilty until it is in your hands.

Anne
How would the company be responsible for something that was given to the Post Oflfice and now out of their hands? The company sending the package does not have access to the package after it is mailed, it is in the Federal Govenments (even though they techinically don't own the PO anymore) hands.

If you mean that the company be financially responsible for it until it is received by the purchaser, then how would you solve the problem of those that are dishonest and say that they did not receive their packages when they did and expect a refund or more product for their "loss"? Most are honest but when it is known that a company is responsible for the packages that the PO misplaces or is stolen when it is not the fault of the company in any way, there will be those to exploit it.

Postal insurance and/or signature delivery costs and adds to the shipping costs and is passed on to the customer. The customer may not want to pay that extra cost, do you expect the company to take the loss on the cost of insurance? It isn't just the loss on one package (yours) it would be on every package that the company sends and could add up to a LOT of money and loss of profits for them.

When I order from companies and receive free shipping, I know that it has a slight chance on getting "lost". I had one or two take "vacations" to other parts of the country before getting to me. I have not had one stolen yet, and I am sorry for those who have, such a violation and aggravation. If I am worried about a possible loss, I will ask if I can purchase PO insurance or get/purchase a signature card, that way either I can file a claim or I have to be the one signing for it.

I know if it was me, and I had a package go lost or stolen, I would NOT be happy, especially if I didn't have insurance/or sig. card, even more so if it was an expensive order!!! But, I coulnd't expect the company to replace the order and take the financial hit, it wasn't their fault.

That those thiefs may have a W-4 and SS# is more worrisome though! There is no "insurance" against identity theft and even less sympathy/care/concern/remedy for those who are victims of it (by the credit agency's etc.)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

I'd be curious to know what the legalities are on this and just who is legally responsible. I might have to do some Googling :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

The company is at liberty to refuse to ship anything without insurance. They are the shipper it is in their control and thus it is their loss as they have not fulfilled their requirement when they took the order and the money from the customer.

As a person who has had a couple of packages contents stolen whilst in the care of postal services, we still received the packaging with information attached to it saying it had gotten to certain depots in that state. And we contacted the mailer with that information so they could make their case for compensation etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

And I had another thought. Not specifically referring to the original poster but to similar situations in general. In this case, it is the buyer's word against the seller's word and the seller has a tracking number to prove they sent the item. Anyone not having to sign for a parcel could say they never received it. How does one prove that they didn't get something other than their word, no physical proof, when there is the possibility they did?

I'm still curious on the actual legalities.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think this case is unique in that there is also a W2 missing so there is proving to be a pattern of mail fraud. She needs to go to the police.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Just an FYI ... In the case of Oh My Crafts, it is the customer who chooses the shipping company. We can choose either USPS or UPS. And within those two company choices are several other rate choices. For most of our purchases, USPS is probably the cheapest. And I admit that I tend to go the cheapest route.

As stated above, the company could go strictly with UPS. But then we'd probably be ranting that we wouldn't shop with the company because it has outrageous shipping charges or that it doesn't give the customer a choice. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #28  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNCarolView Post
I have encountered lots of this. Only the post office tells me that the way to solve it is to rent a postal box at the post office! Our residential mail is in individual LOCKED boxes all in a metal "station" at the end of the street. So paying for a box too is insane.

That's funny because I rent a po box and still get others people mail....they are just overpaid lazy workers for the most part...don't get me wrong some of them are great but most are not yet they keep jacking up their prices :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Okay, I'm back from Googling. I found a detailed thread on this type of subject. While it isn't an official legal opinion, if I'm understanding properly, this falls under the Uniform Commercial Code, and under the UCC, unless a specific contract is in place stating otherwise, all shipments from a seller to a buyer are assumed to be "FOB" (Freight on Board) which means once it leaves the seller and is in the hands of the carrier, the seller has no further responsibility. It is late, and maybe I'm misinterpreting what I read, so here is the link to the detailed thread discussing this:

Contract Law - Risk of Loss of Shipment | BoardGameGeek | BoardGameGeek
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Leslie I think you are right with regards to the general law. However, it seems daft to pay for services not received. We wouldn't accept it in any other area of our lives.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2012, 04:46 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
Leslie I think you are right with regards to the general law. However, it seems daft to pay for services not received. We wouldn't accept it in any other area of our lives.
I agree 100% but it boils down to the entity responsible and when we as customers purchase from what we know can be a sub-par service (USPS in the US and Canada Post in Canada) it can't be the seller's fault for offering that option, especially when the buyer selected that option from many other options available which are more reliable with tracking - the customer made that conscious decision. USPS is is the culprit, not the buyer or seller, they're both just innocent victims in a sub-par system that we continue to use. It's a gamble, unfortunately.

This is a little off topic but it came to mind that we do pay for services we don't necessarily get though, indirectly through taxation. Many people pay mandatory taxes on things they might not get a direct benefit from. A couple of examples here in Canada:

1. Our "free health care" - some people, very few in this day and age, go through life without needing little or no medical services yet we all pay. Then there's those that need extreme care throughout their life who get a lot out of the system.

2. Mandatory taxing for our public school system through general tax revenue and various area rates in some communities. People without children still have to pay that mandatory taxing here even if they never have children.

3. And most of us feel that our governments waste a lot of money so that's our tax dollars going out the window that should be providing services to the people paying the taxes.

This has been a very interesting discussion :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2012, 05:16 AM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

I just have to add that the PO won't do anything because if an item was not insured. Will Geico pay for a damaged car if if no insurance is purchased?

UPS And Fed Ex include tracking and insurance on every package because it is built into the cost. (Go to their websites and compare the prices.) This is a hazard with "free" shipping offers. Retailer put the DELIVERY CONFIRMATION on them to protect themselves from chargebacks, and because it is free to add when using the online postage generators.

I know complaining to the 1-800 # used to do more to curb mis-deliveries. For every complaint a branch got, the supervisor had to follow up with the customer AND fill out a report as to what the resolution was. Believe me, they do not want to do it. The supervisor really impresses on the carrier to not screw up on your block. In fact, I had a really strange problem once and the branch asked (practically begged) me not to call the 1-800 # again. They gave me the direct # to the branch.

The Postal Service delivers more items in a week that UPS does all year, more items in day than Fed Ex does all year. I have had items from both other carriers show up with no scans, ever, including a $500 item I could have just told the company I didn't get.

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2012, 05:22 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

2. Mandatory taxing for our public school system through general tax revenue and various area rates in some communities. People without children still have to pay that mandatory taxing here even if they never have children.

This has been a very interesting discussion :-)
This always gets me. How does a childless person benefit from NOT having a public education system? What would a country be like in just 3 generations of providing less education than now? Would the childless people prefer to pay more taxes to the welfare programs? Just my 2c

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2012, 05:54 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

I agree that it is the po at fault, but have to say i think it isad that you have to buy insurance to make in case they don't do the job you are paying them to do. I take a package to the PO and pay money for them to deliver it to the address on that package, not to just deliver it somewhere. So I pay for delivery confirmation, and all I get for that additional money is proof that they delivered it somewhere. Seems like a crazy situation to me. Luckily, I believe that the majority of packages do make it to there intended destination, but the exceptions are frustrating for both the consumer and the seller. The further frustration in my mind is why the person who receives the package in error doesn't return it to the PO so it can be correctly delivered. That is what I do when I receive something in error.

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2012, 06:08 AM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendant23View Post
This always gets me. How does a childless person benefit from NOT having a public education system? What would a country be like in just 3 generations of providing less education than now? Would the childless people prefer to pay more taxes to the welfare programs? Just my 2c
I agree with you. It is for the greater good of society to pay for education of children but not everyone without children feel like they should be paying for the children of others when they consciously chose to not have children.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2012, 06:42 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I agree with you. It is for the greater good of society to pay for education of children but not everyone without children feel like they should be paying for the children of others when they consciously chose to not have children.
Come on down to the basement (Current Events) this sort of thing is discussed all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2012, 07:29 AM   #37  
Embossing Fanatic

The post office is going down hill. I have never had as many problems as we have had in the last year. Lost mail, damaged mail, over charging, not delivered saying "no such address" (mailed again same address and arrived just fine) etc.......the postal workers need to step up and do their jobs.....

Laura B:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #38  
Inking Addict

my town doesn't have home mail delivery, you have to have a po box. There are 2 people working in the post office and I've never had a problem with mail. I think that's a benefit of a small town.

However, I do work for a large company and we ship millions of dollars worth of goods each and every day. If for WHATEVER reason, a customer claims they did not receive the goods they do not pay for it. We, as the shipper, file a claim with the carrier. I'm sure there are plenty of times they actually did receive the goods and even when we have proof of delivery- its not that cut and dry. Of course this is a huge corporation so they probably have all sorts of insurance and stuff for this sort of thing.

I always choose to ship my orders USPS. I like them to go to the PO Box because UPS and Fed-Ex just drop it off at my door. I had a TV left, with no signature before. Anyone can walk up and take it. I don't want to deal with all that. I've actually never noticed an option to buy insurance on any of my shipments.

I'm sorry your PO lost your shipment and I would be extremely upset about it. Since your W-2's were missing as well I would definitely file a police report!

My Blog- A work in progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2012, 10:22 AM   #39  
Crimping Master

I do live in a small town too...the small town I used to live in we had a great po and post master but the small town where we live now the po has been a joke for the last four years....so sadly smaller isn't always better
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #40  
Inking Addict

where I used to live was a little bigger than where I am not but that PO is a nightmare. I hated going there! They were always busy and super rude.

Where I am now, I think there are 1000 in the whole town, there are 2 people that work in the PO and only one is there at a time. They close for lunch! They know who everyone is, super friendly, and I've never had any problems. Then again the people int he town are overly friendly and honest and I sure that helps.

This whole situation is just a shame. USPS is losing money and hurting so they cut employees but they obviously have more work than they can handle if mail is getting mishandled the way it is.

My Blog- A work in progress
Reply With Quote Likes