Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-07-2006, 04:59 AM   #1  
Forum Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are glue sticks really that bad?

I've been reading a lot of posts from different searches so I can learn more about stamping.

Most of the posts about adhesives talk about the strip runners- which are great, but I've spent my budget, for now. Is it absolutely terrible for me to be using a craft glue stick for now? I'm not scrap booking so, I'm not worried about archival quality- I just need the layers to stick together.

If a glue stick is an absolute no-no, what adhesive do you recommend? Should I get the SU! SNAIL (which to me seems really expensive), we have a HL, Joann's and Michael's nearby, or does regular double stick tape work?

My main concern here is cheap. But I want my cards to stay together long enough to get to the recipient.

Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 05:08 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I am a Demo & even I don't purchase the SU snail from myself - can you believe I'm saying that?! I highly recommend the Tombow Mono Adhesive (it's the supplier for SU Snail) but going through SU is too pricey. Sometimes, particularly on the items SU "contracts out" like the Mono, the Fiskars cutter & crimper, you can get a better price elsewhere. When it comes to SU EXCLUSIVE items like our stamps, ink & paper you can't beat the price OR quality. Invest in those items - they can't be beat - but consider getting your adhesive elsewhere.

In terms of the glue sticks themselves I would NEVER use them in a scrapbook (unless it's created specifically for scrapbooking) but on card-making I don't see why it's a problem as long as it's sticking. Stuck is stuck as far as I'm concerned. I don't have great luck with them, but if you're not - then don't worry about it.

Maybe try mailing something to yourself & see how it makes it. Drop it on the floor, toss it around, etc. & see if it holds together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 05:10 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh, yeah - Michael's price on Mono is OUTRAGEOUS! Don't get it there - Viking.com has very good prices on Mono. Office Max (not Depot) used to carry it fairly reasonably but may not have it any more according to some posts I've seen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 05:10 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use the Stampin' Up! anywhere glue sticks without any problems. I like them. They come 2 for $3.95. Much cheaper than SNAIL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 05:11 AM   #5  
The Digi-Freak

The zig 2-way glue (specifically the kind with a wider "head" than the SU one) works great as far as keeping cards together and one bottle lasts a LONG time.

I tried their wide-dauber tip kind after reading Sweet Miss Daisy's recommendation for Tombow MonoMulti. I couldn't find that product, but this seems to be working well. It certainly STICKS!

I may never give up the monoadhesive, but the 2way glue is much cheaper per card!

Regardless, don't skimp on adhesive! What good are gorgeous cards if they fall apart in the mail?

I've gotten TOO many cards in the mail that have fallen apart and the stamper used glue stick! So I will NOT use glue sticks because of this!

Kimberly

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 05:12 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I've used glue sticks on both my scrapbooking stuff and cards that I make. I havent had a problem. I say use glue sticks until you can afford something a little more expensive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 05:14 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Oh I agree, the 2way glue sticks are great ... and they arent expensive. You can get them at Walmart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 05:18 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Double sided tape can't be beat! I've tried them all and I use the double sided exclusively.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 05:20 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm a demo and I don't buy snail - hate the stuff! Sorry SU! I like the Scotch double-sided tape personally. I have a regular tape dispenser and buy the refill rolls at Staples. I don't scrapbook, but the cards stay stuck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 05:27 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

I have mostly always used elmer's glue sticks stolen from my kids school supplies. It works well, but only for so long. Extreme temperatures will make the glue unstick. Also, you have to use just enough, without using too much. Otherwise it won't stick well. I prefer my tape roller from Pritt (to rollers from office max was 5.49) but in pinch, there's no reason not to use glue sticks imo.

Becky
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 05:34 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I do double duty. I use my mono on opposite edges and fill in the rest with glue stick. This keeps it from moving after placement, but the glue ensures that it doesn't come off. It really stretches the life of my mono.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 05:52 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

I'm just starting out, & haven't mailed many cards BUT the first couple I made I used a glue stick. The recipients told me they arrived fine, no peeling or coming apart. BUT that may not hold true in the summer, when it's 1000 degrees down south & a card is sitting all day in my friend's mailbox in Texas.

I've been looking for the Tombow stuff MissDaisy recommended, but haven't had much luck. I've seen other 2 way glues out there, including the Zig, but wasn't sure if they were as good. So, I'm also still searching...

I've been using the Scotch 2 sided tape, but boy it isn't cheap!!!

Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 06:01 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

I like Zig ballpoint roller glue for glitter. It will hold a card in a pinch too. I don't like the other Zig aplicators. If you wait for HL to have a sale, you can sometimes (like last week) get the Zig (or any other adhesives) for 1/3 off.

Becky
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 06:04 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never found an adhesive that works for me! I have not purchased the mono from SU!, but I have tried glue sticks (three different brands), Zig 2-way glue (two different widths), double-sided tape (two different brands), the Duck mono, the refillable mono sold in the craft section of Walmart, E-Z runner by Scrapbooks Adhesives, the Vario dots by Herma. I am just about ready to try Gorilla Glue! LOL

I live in Montana where it is very low humidity. The weather doesn't seem to matter when it comes to not sticking--it doesn't work in Winter OR Summer. Every card I make starts falling apart with very little effort after about three weeks.

Too bad I don't like the stapled look...

Judy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 06:14 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

My cards fall apart with any glue sticks I have tried. Double sided tape is what I use all the time now only.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 07:13 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geribeari
My cards fall apart with any glue sticks I have tried. Double sided tape is what I use all the time now only.
what she said.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 07:37 AM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't like the Snail runner. My projects fall apart. I use the Anywhere Glue Sticks with no problems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 08:06 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I mostly use Scotch double sided tape. Somehow a couple of years ago I lucked into a sale at a grocery store where it was 75 cents a roll. I bought "a lot"--like 6 or 8 rolls every time I went in. I was amazed that they just kept putting it out. Guess most people looking for adhesive didn't think to check at the grocery store. Great for me. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 08:08 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

I have just become a big fan of Scotch double-sided tape (after using mono for 4 yrs). The double-sided tape holds better than mono and is cheap and can be found everywhere (Walmart, Sam's Club, etc).
If I am putting together ANYTHING that has stress on it, I use the terrifically tacky tape (aka red liner, Sticky Strip).

Glenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 08:24 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I nearly always use mono, and either get it from office max for 2.99, or with my michaels coupons. Ocassionally, and especially on journals and such, I will use the photo squares, cuz they stick really well, and they're cheap. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 08:35 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geribeari
Some glue stick brands are total crap (NEVER buy the store brand at Staples!), but I've never had trouble with UHU brand, or with the SU! Anywhere Glue Sticks. Nothing I've used them on falls apart, even on a humid Savannah summer day!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 08:39 AM   #22  
Glitter Guru

I saw the UHU sticks at Michael's yesterday, but someone here was saying they didn't like them......

isn't it funny how what works for some of us, REALLY doesn't work for others of us?? I never knew adhesive products could be so confusing!!

Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 09:16 AM   #23  
Watercolor Wizard

Run over to your Walmart. There is a stick glue in the scrapbook section. It is (I think) called Tech Advantage. It is a rectangle shape glue stick. Cheap and works great. Acid-free to boot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 10:39 AM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

How about glue? I have some stuff from Archivers that I have used forever, it was a little spendy about $5.99 but it has lasted a long time. Scrappy glue I think it is called and I just have to use a small amount. I also saw that someone was using some stuff like the tachy glue, and the fabric glue - anyone have any luck with any of those products?

The lesson from Charlie Brown: The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 10:43 AM   #25  
Crimping Master

I thought I was doing something wrong. I am so glad I read this thread. I buy snail from SU and yes it is expensive. My sissy rebelangle73 gets a mono from Catans here in Northeastern Ohio and she got me some and it really holds better than the snail. Sorry SU! She said it was really cheap like $.99 a roll.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 10:47 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've gotten that one too. The brand is Darice. I don't think it is as long as SU's, but it is definitely tackier. I stock up on those whenever I'm up at Catan's. They also carry the tombo. I'll have to do a cost comparison.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 10:47 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Our business Costco has a great deal on Scotch Double sided tape. It's what my demo uses, too. It is so easy and relatively cheap to use! My buddy uses her xyron adhesive, just don't make a mistake!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 11:09 AM   #28  
Glitter Guru

I'm finishing up my Valentines cards, & am using the Duck brand. We'll see how it holds up. I feel like I have to send a note in all my cards ~ "Please let me know whether this card is intact or not when you receive it" LOL!!

Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 11:09 AM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use Duck brand Easy Stick adhesive for my cards. It is in a red plastic case and works just like the Tombow (Snail) in that you have a handheld plastic dispenser that you run along the area you want to stick. It is in the office supply section at Walmart and I bought a four pack for $8 something so a little over $2 each and I think they sell them in one packs, too. It says it is acid-free and works with Vellum so for the $ I am happy with it. It sticks really well, too. I use more expensive adhesive (Dotto) for the pictures in my scrapbook, but if I were to run out I would feel pretty safe using Duck. BTW, the box is green and the dispenser is red.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 11:11 AM   #30  
Glitter Guru

LOL ~ I guess we were posting at the same time!!!

Yep, that's what I bought. I only bought one, since I wasn't sure about it, but I did see the multi packs. It's cheaper than the Scotch, hope it holds up!!

Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 11:18 AM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMommy
LOL ~ I guess we were posting at the same time!!!

Yep, that's what I bought. I only bought one, since I wasn't sure about it, but I did see the multi packs. It's cheaper than the Scotch, hope it holds up!!

Michelle
You'll be pleased with it. I have been using it for quite a while now. I just sent one to my SIL to try out because she is interested in card making and was wondering what I use. A Yahoo group I belong to has had a lot of post about adhesives and a lot of ladies have commented positively about "The Duck".
Reply With Quote Likes