Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-01-2006, 04:14 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting organized and knowing what stamps I have.this is what I am doing.

My project for this weekend is this.I need to get more organized with what I have for stamp sets.and what is in each one of them.so I CAME UP WITH THIS.

I am putting them in an binder similar to the inspiration sheets.then whenever I am working on a certain theme.I can flip through the binder and see what else can coordinate with the theme that I plan on working with.Of course it will be layed out like the magazine.all christmas and winter stamps together.
All occasions will be all together.etc etc.

For example if I am working on fall. I can flip the pages of all the stamp sets set up with the images for that season.or themes similar to that in that theme like nature sets.then I can quickly flip through the images and get some of my all occasion stamp sets for little things I can put with it when I am stamping.since some of the all occasion stamp sets have a variety of everything.you sometimes forget what seasons or occasions are in there.

plus once they are all packed away it's much easy to take out the binder and flip through it,when you are planning on a swap that you need to do something you can easily just sit and go through 1 book rather than 5 or 6 to see everything you have.unless you are looking through the others for ideas.

If I had a scanner I would just scan the images right from the book itself,Then I could just take that and have it as my copy to go right into the binder but I don't have a scanner so I can't do that but those of you who do can do this and it will save you time.I have to stamp all my images on white cardstock then put them in the binder.

Last edited by Lisa62; 04-01-2006 at 04:19 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 04:25 AM   #2  
Toy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Lisa.. when you're done will you come down to NY and fix me up, too? I am so unorganized in my craftroom right now.. it's frustrating!

I need to organize my stash before the retired list comes out! Maybe you've just inspired me..lol

Peace!
toy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 06:23 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Just another idea. I stamped each of mine on 4x6 index cards and put them in a photo album by theme. This way I can easily remove or add sets as I give them away or get more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 06:33 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

i also have all my images in a binder.it helps soo much when you are in a bind and can't remember. just flip through it instead of pulling out 10 sets and still not finding what you're looking for. i stamped them with grey, so it would be easier on teh rubbah ;)

i also have a database for the set, # of blocks, value, brand, extra tid bits. it's great for homeowners insurance, and just to keep track.

of course the database is on a seperate disk out of dh's site!!! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 06:44 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I too have mine set up in a file by theme and then I have a file just for SU by set. This comes so in handy if I want a greeting especially as lots of SU sets that have little sayings or mottos that are inspirational or work with other sets.
I always go to my file before starting stamping and pick the images I want to work with. It is so much more organised and I don't have to pick up loads of stamp sets.
The only stamps I don't have in my file are background stamps.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 08:24 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
I love the binder system, I've been doing this for over 10 years now. I have one binder for sets, all the images that came with the set get stamped together on a page. This is because in my big binder (which is actually two now) I stamp all the roses together, all the words together, all the food related, leaves, etc. The categories are a lot like the SU catalog. I do it this way so that all my images are grouped together SU or non-SU.
I have a smaller more portable binder set up for inks, glitters, punches and such. And I also made a binder for the Sizzix Die Cuts. I did the die cuts for two reasons, one was to make sure the die works before storing it away for later use and the other was to have the actual size when working with the dies. Does this fit with this sort of thing, LOL!!
It's all part of the crafting additction, LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 08:50 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

That is the best idea! I love being on this site and getting new ideas. I have such a hard time remembering what I have and so some of my stamps get so neglected. I am at work now, but when I get home I am going to start organizing my stamps in a binder. Thanks for the great inspiration!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 08:55 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by juliepulie35
Just another idea. I stamped each of mine on 4x6 index cards and put them in a photo album by theme. This way I can easily remove or add sets as I give them away or get more.
OMGosh... this is SUCH a kewel idea.... it may take me several weeks to do it.... but I'm off to start!!!
THANKS SO MUCH for sharing!!

I *heart* My Computer
Because a lot of my best friends live in it!!
Thanks SCS.... for providing a place to cultivate priceless friendships!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 09:03 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I just did mine last night! This way I also was able to make sure all the stamps looked right. I cut white cardstock in quarters and plan to store them in a binder, for the larger sets I iused a half sheet. I put each set on a different piece of paper so it will be easy to move them from current to retired (I'm a demo so this matters for me).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 09:12 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Default ..and more ideas

I have mine in a binder, but I stamped them on plain white copy paper. Cheaper and you can fit more in.

My new stamp sets, I scan the sticker sheet before cutting everything apart. I make 2 copies, one goes in my binder, one goes in the box with the stamps. I started this to make sure I put my stamps back where they belong.

I love the idea of having all the roses together etc. I might have to do that down the road.

Now if I could only keep them tidy on my shelf, I'll be laughing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 09:21 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by laderme
I have mine in a binder, but I stamped them on plain white copy paper. Cheaper and you can fit more in.

My new stamp sets, I scan the sticker sheet before cutting everything apart. I make 2 copies, one goes in my binder, one goes in the box with the stamps. I started this to make sure I put my stamps back where they belong.
THis is a great idea too! Wow you guys are awesome! I always forget which stamp goes with which set. Especially the little stamps.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 03:06 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

O.k. I have been doing this all day and only half way done.I stamped my images on white paper for the printer rather than cardstock it is so much cheaper.I can't believe how many stamp sets I own after doing this.I still have 1 more cabinet to go through.it seems to be taking forever.

I thought I was needing more stamps too but after doing this.wow!most people would be happy to have what I have.How many stamp sets is too much.I never realized how much work this would be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 04:25 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

"Mama" - I have a binder and database too, but just because I am super anal!- I never thought of the fact that the database could be used for insurance purposes but that is such a great side benefit!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaof3insd
i also have all my images in a binder.it helps soo much when you are in a bind and can't remember. just flip through it instead of pulling out 10 sets and still not finding what you're looking for. i stamped them with grey, so it would be easier on teh rubbah ;)

i also have a database for the set, # of blocks, value, brand, extra tid bits. it's great for homeowners insurance, and just to keep track.

of course the database is on a seperate disk out of dh's site!!! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 05:23 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

LOL!
i NEVER would've thought i'd have enough for a database, but it definately adds up. Our insurer recommended it also in case of fire, theft (god forbid).
i have one for just stamps and another for all my accessories..inks, gadgets, punches, etc.
i don't add cs or ribbon. i just have a pic. with what my "average" ribbon & cs amounts are.
here's a pic of how i stamp my images
Attached Thumbnails
Getting organized and knowing what stamps I have.this is what I am doing.-album1.jpg   Getting organized and knowing what stamps I have.this is what I am doing.-album2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 05:26 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa62
O.k. I have been doing this all day and only half way done.I stamped my images on white paper for the printer rather than cardstock it is so much cheaper.I can't believe how many stamp sets I own after doing this.I still have 1 more cabinet to go through.it seems to be taking forever.

I thought I was needing more stamps too but after doing this.wow!most people would be happy to have what I have.How many stamp sets is too much.I never realized how much work this would be.
(((hugs)))
it takes a while to get them all done, but once it's done, it's awesome!
i started out doing them in alpha..gave up. i just stamped them by drawer, one set on a sheet, unless they went together. then after i got them ALL done went through and alpha'd them. HTH

i've made myself a rule that i can't play with new toys til they are stamped into the binder and logged in the database
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2006, 03:25 AM   #16  
Glitter Guru

kim thats how I did mine also.I have them arranged in order of themes though.all flowers go together.animals/bugs.winter/christmas.etc etc.I never realized how many stamps sets I had until I did this.too many.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2006, 07:22 AM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do this as soon as I mount my stamps! I think it's important to actually stamp the images rather than scan them out of the catty, because when you stamp them you can see if there's a problem with the rubber or not. I had a defective stamp and I found it while I was stamping my binder sheet, and since it was within the first 90 days, SU replaced it free!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2006, 08:33 AM   #18  
Glitter Queen

Thumbs up

What a wonderful idea! I'm slightly new to SU and LOVE this idea. This will be extremely convenient in the future ~~ for my new addiction. Thanks!! :p

~Kristy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2006, 08:38 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

This is a great idea, thanks! I want to make a binder for insurance reasons and also when I have friends over they can easily flip through the book & see what sets they want to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2006, 08:49 AM   #20  
Sassy Shani

Arggh.....Yet another thing I need to do now!
:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2006, 09:17 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

I do this too. I love having all my images at my finger tips. But, I must admit, I've fallen behind and here's the motivator to get back up to date as it will never be "finished";-)

What I do that is different, I always stamp two sheets. I keep one and the other one goes to my MIL. We each have copies of the others stamp sets. This helps with sharing and if I like a set for just one idea, then I just borrow hers. If I fall in love with it, then I buy it. For us its like having double stamps to play with and only half the expense.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2006, 11:29 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love JuliePulie35's idea of the index cards in a photo album by group! My DH started my catalog binder. He set up my system. I started with a cabinet my BIL made for me. I put the stamp where ever it will fit, stamp it in the book, (white paper)write the drawer # on the stamp (that way I know where to put it back) write the drawer # and price in the catalog in drawer order (price for ins purposes). I make two copies, one for home and the other I keep at work (only browse at lunchtime and breaks! LOL) The only concession I made to grouping is that my SU stuff is in a separate cabinet so it has a separate section and I stamp all my word stamps together and they have their own section too. I will have to get my DH to stamp stuff on index cards and set up an occaision system (he's retired and soooooo supportive! and I hate to waste stamping time organizing) DH doesn't let me use the stamps until I catalog and it works. Thanks for the idea re the index cards.
One of Kota's Kids
Too Blessed to be Stressed
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2006, 11:59 AM   #23  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all this talk about organization is moving me to do something too I read this somewhere on the boards (sorry - can't remember who had this great idea!).

I plan to go through all my stamp sets and stamp on a large sheet of paper (I'll probably use butcher paper) all of my sentiment stamps - near where I stamp them, I'll write the name of the stamp set. Then, I'm going to hang this sheet near my stamping area. That way, I'll have a quick reference to all my sentiments... it's easy to forget about those words that are in the various sets I own.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:43 PM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Red face Organized

Another thing that you can do is make a copy of the sheet of stickers that go on your stamps before you attach them to the blocks. I bought a photo album from JoAnns for 99$ and put the copies in there. Now I know what I have. Kinda, not quite there but close.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa62
My project for this weekend is this.I need to get more organized with what I have for stamp sets.and what is in each one of them.so I CAME UP WITH THIS.

I am putting them in an binder similar to the inspiration sheets.then whenever I am working on a certain theme.I can flip through the binder and see what else can coordinate with the theme that I plan on working with.Of course it will be layed out like the magazine.all christmas and winter stamps together.
All occasions will be all together.etc etc.

For example if I am working on fall. I can flip the pages of all the stamp sets set up with the images for that season.or themes similar to that in that theme like nature sets.then I can quickly flip through the images and get some of my all occasion stamp sets for little things I can put with it when I am stamping.since some of the all occasion stamp sets have a variety of everything.you sometimes forget what seasons or occasions are in there.

plus once they are all packed away it's much easy to take out the binder and flip through it,when you are planning on a swap that you need to do something you can easily just sit and go through 1 book rather than 5 or 6 to see everything you have.unless you are looking through the others for ideas.

If I had a scanner I would just scan the images right from the book itself,Then I could just take that and have it as my copy to go right into the binder but I don't have a scanner so I can't do that but those of you who do can do this and it will save you time.I have to stamp all my images on white cardstock then put them in the binder.
Reply With Quote Likes