Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile Getting non-stamped sentiments onto cards?

Hi,
I see tons of sentiments on stamps that I'd like to own, but just don't have the funds and space for them. For short ones, I'll try to use individual letters and DIY it. What else can be done?

I'm wondering if inkjet printing on a transparency, cut and vellum-taped to the card would look strange? Have you tried that?

I've tried doing it on Word and just cutting the paragraph out, but I'm not really adept at it. I haven't a clue how to do text boxes and tables...does that work better? If yes, how?

Other ideas?
Thanks,
mob
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #2  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't own many sentiment stamps. Instead I use text boxes in Word or use Photoshop Elements to print out my desired sentiments in my choice of fonts and colors. Sometimes I type out a bunch of sentiments at once, then adhere them to colored cardstock before adding them to the insides of my cards.

In Word, I add a straight line shape at 8.25" and at 5.5" so I can see my exact card dimensions. Then I insert a text box for my sentiment. That's a very vague instruction, but if you want a more detailed explanation, let me know.Perhaps someone has an easier way of doing it.

I'm seen tutorials by cardmakers who print on transparencies in a mirror image then use it as a rub-on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Thanks. As i said, i don't know the "fancy" stuff in word. What does the text box give that just typing in paragraph form does not? What is the purpose of the 4.25" line? Once it's done, do you print on white paper and just cut out the block? Or fine detail cut all the words?

I never thought of the transparency as a rub-on. Does Word have the 'mirror" image function? I don't have PSE.
Tx,
mob
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

I just go to word, find a font and color I like. Size it up, print it on regular paper to make sure it works first, then pop in white card stock, print it up, cut it to fit card as I make different size cards all the time.

So I don't bother trying to size on the computer because then I would get more grey hair!

I really don't have a problem with this. Everyone has their own style that fits them, and this is mine. Might me a hassle for some, but it works for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #5  
Glitter Queen

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I'm trying to type while holding a sleeping baby.

I print directly onto the white cardstock. It becomes my base. Then I embellish the front with whatever papers and stamps I want. I use the lines to show the finished size of my card. When I print directly onto the cardstock, I make two cards from one sheet of cardstock.

The text box allows you to move the typed words anywhere on the page. You have a little more freedom with at text box than typing in standard paragraphs.

You maybe able to search online to find step by step directions on creating greetings and using text boxes in Word.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobrien207View Post
Hi,
I see tons of sentiments on stamps that I'd like to own, but just don't have the funds and space for them. For short ones, I'll try to use individual letters and DIY it. What else can be done?

I'm wondering if inkjet printing on a transparency, cut and vellum-taped to the card would look strange? Have you tried that?

I've tried doing it on Word and just cutting the paragraph out, but I'm not really adept at it. I haven't a clue how to do text boxes and tables...does that work better? If yes, how?

Other ideas?
Thanks,
mob
If you are talking about sentiments for the outside of a card, I do that quite a lot. I just print my sentiment on white cardstock, in the font that I like. Then I use a nestie die cut in an oval or circle, or other shape I like, and mat it in colors to match my card.

Here is an example.

Happy 40th Anniversary by buggainok - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

I was thinking of sentiments for the front or inside the card. i see some lovely quotes and sentiments all over that I've wished I could use on cards.
mob
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I was thinking of sentiments for the front or inside the card. i see some lovely quotes and sentiments all over that I've wished I could use on cards.
mob
Here is a nice video on Youtube about how to insert a text box in word for cardmaking:

How to do Text Boxes in Word or Works - YouTube

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,927 Likes on 2,193 Posts

I choose the size and font I want and insert a text box in word and type in that text box I also choose "no color"for the outline of the text box so that when it prints you will not see the black line around it that way you can use Spellbinders nestie or other die to cut it out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
I choose the size and font I want and insert a text box in word and type in that text box I also choose "no color"for the outline of the text box so that when it prints you will not see the black line around it that way you can use Spellbinders nestie or other die to cut it out.
Kathy, if I'm going to die cut the sentiment, I don't bother with a text box. I just type my sentiment, choose my font, etc. and print on cardstock.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Kathy, if I'm going to die cut the sentiment, I don't bother with a text box. I just type my sentiment, choose my font, etc. and print on cardstock.
I do that too if the sentiment is small but if you have a poem or larger sentiment a text box makes it easy to keep the wording tight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I do that too if the sentiment is small but if you have a poem or larger sentiment a text box makes it easy to keep the wording tight.
Gotcha

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2013, 06:07 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Received 93 Likes on 85 Posts

If you have any die cut letters you could use them to make a sentiment such as Hi, Hello, or Joy. One of my swap cards for SU Convention this year uses the Alphabet Bigz die.

My Gallery ~ My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2013, 08:20 AM   #14  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

For the insides of the card I type my sayings in Word so it fits on a 1/4 sheet of printer paper and cut the paper 3-3/4" x 5" using my paper trimmer. When I glue them inside an A2 card it will leave 1/4" border of your card stock showing around the outside. I also like to stamp an image very faintly on the insert by inking up my stamp and stamping off onto a scrap of paper 2-3 times before stamping on my insert.

For sayings that I plan to use a lot of I do a bunch at once, cut them to size and store them in one of those cheap plastic picture albums that you can get from the $1 Store.

For sentiments on the front of the card I type up a bunch of sayings in row leaving a good amount of space in between, print out a draft on paper, make any changes to size color etc then print a good copy on white card stock. I cut them apart with my paper cutter or punch them out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2013, 09:14 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jactopView Post
For the insides of the card I type my sayings in Word so it fits on a 1/4 sheet of printer paper and cut the paper 3-3/4" x 5" using my paper trimmer. When I glue them inside an A2 card it will leave 1/4" border of your card stock showing around the outside. I also like to stamp an image very faintly on the insert by inking up my stamp and stamping off onto a scrap of paper 2-3 times before stamping on my insert.

For sayings that I plan to use a lot of I do a bunch at once, cut them to size and store them in one of those cheap plastic picture albums that you can get from the $1 Store.

For sentiments on the front of the card I type up a bunch of sayings in row leaving a good amount of space in between, print out a draft on paper, make any changes to size color etc then print a good copy on white card stock. I cut them apart with my paper cutter or punch them out.
I like your ideas of planning ahead. I usually leave the inside of cards, like Birthday Cards, blank, and then think when the time comes, I'll just stamp the sentiment inside. Of course, I wait until the last minute, and then dither around trying to find which sentiment stamp I want to use, find the ink, etc.

It would be much more convenient if I had them all ready to put into the card.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

For insides done after the card, I often print the sentiment on normal copy paper then cut and fold to insert and adhere with one strip of DST near the middle. This looks great on acetate and vellum too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

KoffeeKat:
What is DST? Also, do you adhere a folded card inside the cardstock base?

Thanks for all the ideas everyone.
mob

Last edited by mobrien207; 06-29-2013 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #18  
Crimping Master

DST = double sided tape

and yes I put the paper 'card' inside the cardstock one. You sometimes see expensive cards with inserted layers in the shops. If you have a look at one, you will see where to put the DST.

HTH (hope that helps)
Cath
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

KoffeeKat:
What is DST? Also, do you adhere a folded card inside the cardstock base?

Thanks for all the ideas everyone.
mob
When I do this, I usually use lighter weight paper for the inside liner instead of cardstock, even printer paper will work.

I find the folded liner lays better inside if you put a line of adhesive just beside the fold on the back side (right) of the card. Put the adhesive on the card, not the liner.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2013, 08:45 PM   #20  
Crimping Master

The paper insert needs to be slightly smaller too. I trim a couple of mm all around but the cards in the shops are sometimes level with the edges. You could achieve that by trimming the inside layer after putting it in your base card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Where do you guys come up with your sentiments to put on the insides of cards? I'd like to start a collection of them in a notebook so when I go to make a card, I'm not spending so much time searching for the sentiment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2013, 02:08 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by hsmom69View Post
Where do you guys come up with your sentiments to put on the insides of cards? I'd like to start a collection of them in a notebook so when I go to make a card, I'm not spending so much time searching for the sentiment.
Right here on this wonderful site. In the Downloads forum. There is a list of sentiments by subject that is kept updated. The first post has the document. Here is a link:

Sentiments for inside the cards...let's start a list by dazzling20 at Splitcoaststampers

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #23  
Kookie Creator

There are lots of web sites for inspirational quotes and card verses.
mob
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by hsmom69View Post
Also, I keep a small notebook in my purse when I'm out shopping and running errands. If there is a card section in the store, I look through the cards, and jot down sentiments that I like. I have also gone to the Hallmark Card website and found good sentiments there.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #25  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Also, I keep a small notebook in my purse when I'm out shopping and running errands. If there is a card section in the store, I look through the cards, and jot down sentiments that I like. I have also gone to the Hallmark Card website and found good sentiments there.
Sometimes I pull out my cellphone and take a picture of the saying! Am I lazy or what? LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2013, 02:38 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Sometimes I pull out my cellphone and take a picture of the saying! Am I lazy or what? LOL
Not lazy, Kathy. Just more up to date than I am. My cell phone doesn't have a camera. Yes, I know dinosaur age.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2013, 02:46 PM   #27  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Not lazy, Kathy. Just more up to date than I am. My cell phone doesn't have a camera. Yes, I know dinosaur age.
Well you should have been with me in December when we got our new phones. They actually laughed at me when I handed them my old phone to transfer all the numbers!!! I am not one to accept change easily and used that phone as long as I could! My old phone was a Motorola Razr and the new phone is a Motorola Razr Droid, similar name but very different phones!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Right here on this wonderful site. In the Downloads forum. There is a list of sentiments by subject that is kept updated. The first post has the document. Here is a link:

Sentiments for inside the cards...let's start a list by dazzling20 at Splitcoaststampers
Awesome! Thanks!

Thanks for the other suggestions, ladies. I need to remember to take some trips down the card aisles. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes