Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-30-2007, 01:38 PM   #41  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenDragonLadyView Post
I only have one card in my gallery (so far) and I included basic info, but didn't list actual colors (because I'm new and didn't know them off the top of my head). I just went back in to edit my details, and I received an e-mail saying it was approved, but I just checked and don't see the colors that I listed. Is there a way to edit what I wrote? :confused:
Yes, just hit the "edit" photo button, down below the picture, and you can access any of the field boxes to change the deets (details). ;)

And, welcome, welcome to SCS!!! So excited to have you sharing your work in the galleries with us! :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 01:38 PM   #42  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can give the benefit of the doubt to NO details (dial-up difficulties, English not the first language -- or maybe not the language at all -- of everyone who uploads) but just directing to a blog seems disrespectful to this community
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 01:43 PM   #43  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
Yes, just hit the "edit" photo button, down below the picture, and you can access any of the field boxes to change the deets (details). ;)

And, welcome, welcome to SCS!!! So excited to have you sharing your work in the galleries with us! :grin:
Thank you! I just checked and I see them now...maybe it takes a few minutes after it's approved.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 01:45 PM   #44  
Insane Embellisher

I understand the opinion of everyone that's posted, and I respect their right to have one. (opinion.)

However, some of the replies have been snarky. If I am really interested in a card or a stamp I will go to the blog if I have too. If not, then I won't. It's up to me. I look at it this way, why cheat myself out of finding out about the great card I just saw because that person maybe didn't know enough to post the list of stamps etc.?

IF I REALLY LIKE THE CARD I WILL POST COMMENTS, THAT'S THE RIGHT THING TO DO, IMHO.

I don't have to read the whole blog, just look to where that card is posted.

Frankly, I have found a lot of talented bloggers just by surfing blogs.

MY BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 02:47 PM   #45  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenda sView Post
I didn't mean to sound too harsh. The clueless cardmakers are those that don't spend too much time here on SCS and just don't know the etiquette. They are forgiven for this faux pas. The thoughtless ones are the ones that want to take the opportunity to advertise their blog and drag me into it. I do not appreciate a ploy to be dragged into yet another blog. I have heard some say, they are too busy to type the details and that is why they post their blog address. I wonder if perhaps they should just share the card then with thier blogees and leave it at that.
Does this sound less harsh? I have a terrible tendency of being too blunt.

Glenda

Agree! I have been a member for a while and I really don't post a whole lot in the gallery or on the boards, however, I hate to see this site used as "storage" or advertisement for blogs. When I do post to the gallery, I always take the time to list everything I used..sometimes things slip from memory...but generally everything is there. I will only link to my blog...like others have said before "if there is a story" behind the creation.

AmyR!!!! Yea! like you're the only one with voices in their heads!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 02:48 PM   #46  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsMoxie58View Post
I can give the benefit of the doubt to NO details (dial-up difficulties, English not the first language -- or maybe not the language at all -- of everyone who uploads) but just directing to a blog seems disrespectful to this community

Agree with you as well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 03:03 PM   #47  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by wannabeView Post
I understand the opinion of everyone that's posted, and I respect their right to have one. (opinion.)

However, some of the replies have been snarky. If I am really interested in a card or a stamp I will go to the blog if I have too. If not, then I won't. It's up to me. I look at it this way, why cheat myself out of finding out about the great card I just saw because that person maybe didn't know enough to post the list of stamps etc.?

IF I REALLY LIKE THE CARD I WILL POST COMMENTS, THAT'S THE RIGHT THING TO DO, IMHO.

I don't have to read the whole blog, just look to where that card is posted.

Frankly, I have found a lot of talented bloggers just by surfing blogs.
I agree with the snarkiness, and that if you like a card, regardless of whether or not "deets" were posted, you should say so.

I'm one of them guilty of not posting details. Why? Because it's easier for me to just upload the pics a couple at at a time and not have to go and enter detail after detail. I upload when I can, then if I have time, I go back later and fill in the details IF I REMEMBER TO DO SO.

While I repect ones right to rant, I think *some* are getting just a little too snotty on the issue. Chill, will ya?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 03:17 PM   #48  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to TOTALLY AGREE with the sentiment about post cards without any information. I currently have almost 50 cards I would love to uplood and many more I have made for a special occasion and went ahead and sent them out to the recipient without uploading them because I didn't have time to do it correctly. I think it is inconsiderate to upload a card and hope people will post their comments to you when you cannot take the time to tell them how you created your work of art. Therefore, I also have the rule many of you have -- NO RECIPE, NO COMMENTS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 03:26 PM   #49  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by emilymomto3boysView Post
This has been brought up several times. I think it's just rude! If you are going to share - then share! That means sharing what you used to make it! Especially because all computers show colors a little differently - we wanna know what you used on it!I only put a link to my blog if there is a tutorial or something that is too big to put in the info part in the gallery - and even then I always list the supplies used.

SO......POST YOUR SUPPLIES OR DON'T POST AT ALL!
I watercolor a lot with PrismaColor Pencils. I usually just mention the PrismaColors in the "accessories" list. Should I list the colors? It seems like tmi, kwim? I don't have a blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 03:31 PM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

yep I have no problem with a blog listed int eh description but I don't always have time for that and what happens months or YEARS down the line when you want the information and the blog is GONE
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 03:34 PM   #51  
Mad Swapper

Location: Out in the deep marsh in the middle of nowhere - well ok, Canada

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19stamper59View Post
I have a rule: no stats, no comment.
Excellent idea!

Quote:

"Would love to know at least some basic info about your piece, and would like to encourage you to visit this thread: Forums at Splitcoaststampers Thanks for supporting our SCS community!"

This might help us spread the word and make more folks aware! :grin:
Thanks Julie! I modified it a bit so that I could put it in my signature. I hope it sounds ok? If not please tell how I should word it ?

"For those of you who do not include the information on how you made your beautiful card, I would love to know at least some basic info about your piece. I also encourage you to visit this thread: Forums at Splitcoaststampers Thanks for supporting our SCS community!"

Thanks,
Gerri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 03:37 PM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

well I am not that strict but I can understand how many can feel this way
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 03:45 PM   #53  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by NANCYRUTHView Post
I am sorry, i have been guilty of that, partly coz my computer is wonky and shuts me down really fast so I have to upload as quickly as I can. This should stop once I get my new computer installed! But I do get annoyed when it says go to my blog however I can uunderstand that perhaps the bloggers do not want to post all the information twice... JMHO!
This is not directed to you nancy, but to the issue. This site (gallery forums etc) is separate and distinct from blogs. there are those of us who don't blog, and don't care about hits or counts or blog candy or whatever, and just like to come to SCS for it's information and pure volume of gorgeous paper crafts. is it OUR fault that you have a blog? are we making you have a blog? no.. all that is asked is if you post a card, post the deets. no one is making you post it here AND on your blog. if it's too much effort/time/whatever, just post it in one place. i see too many people posting their cards here for the wrong reason. not cool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 04:01 PM   #54  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by olikaView Post
Excellent idea!

Thanks Julie! I modified it a bit so that I could put it in my signature. I hope it sounds ok? If not please tell how I should word it ?

"For those of you who do not include the information on how you made your beautiful card, I would love to know at least some basic info about your piece. I also encourage you to visit this thread: Forums at Splitcoaststampers Thanks for supporting our SCS community!"

Thanks,
Gerri
Oh, you sweetest thing--that's an awful loooooong siggy line for ya', however! Hmmmmmmmm . . . Lemme think . . . how 'bout:

"Gallery uploads with basic recipe info are mmm mm good! Click [url*=//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201558]HERE [/url]for more info!"

Just remove the asterisk; it will make the word HERE turn into a hyperlink and the code will then become invisible! :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 04:20 PM   #55  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't mind going to a blog IF the link takes me directly to the card/info in question. I don't have the patience to search the blog once I get there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 04:20 PM   #56  
Stamping is a Hoot!

Quote:

Actually, I just copy and paste the basic recipe info from my blog, into my SCS gallery upload, in the photo description box. Easy cheesey, lemon squeezey! ;)

So, that way, it's not extra work at all. :grin:
I agree with Julie, that's exactly what I do too - only takes a few seconds to do that seeing it is already written out.

I do also add a link to my blog - I know some don't want to go blog hopping and that is fine - but there is a lot that do so I add it for them seeing there is nowhere in the gallery to have that info otherwise. I have found lots of great things from blogs. There are a lot of blogs out there I don't know about that might have something I need to see - so the link is there for those who want it. These days I just say something like "My blog: and my url"

I don't normally - include all the raving I do on my blog in the gallery - it just depends what the piece is etc and if it is relevant to SCS or not.

I Design for Elizabeth Craft Designs and Karen Burniston
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 04:20 PM   #57  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Smile

Before things become adverserial over an issue that I don't think was intended to become adverserial among anyone, and truly, there is no need for it to become so . . . ;)

I like to think we're "solutions" peeps! So, if lack of recipe info is a problem, then let's all do our part to make a positive change!

There will always be folks who genuinely have no idea how frustrating it is for someone to see a great card, find no basic info, yet be directed off-site to acquire the info, or who are genuinely unfamiliar with proper netiquette.

Oftentimes, the link is a basic blog link, and does not link to the piece in question. Argh; then folkds have to sift through blog entries to find the one they are looking for. Maybe the viewer is on dial-up. Argh--some blogs take an eternity to load cuz they have lots of fun bells & whistles! Mebbe, the blog has disappeared from the blog-o-sphere, and with it, all the info, never to be seen again. Oh no . . . :(

If we do our part by providing basic recipe info with our own uploads, and take opportunities to help spread the word in a friendly, positive manner, I think we'll end up with a win-win situation all around!

Agreed?

I see gazillions of heads bobbing up and down, I just *know* it! :mrgreen:

{{{{{{{group hug}}}}}}}}
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 04:21 PM   #58  
Stampin' Fool

I am not one who usually gets involved in debates, but I do have to kindly disagree with some.

There is a reason for the different categories..
Stamps
Paper
Inks
Accessories

etc......

There are alot of stampers here that would "just like to know"

I think it's only common courtesy!

Like I said before...I have been a member here for over 2 years and really don't post a lot, but when I do post to the gallery, I think it is only proper to give the details.

I don't have a ton of time every day either, but when I do upload something to the gallery, I only do so when I have the time to give the details!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 04:45 PM   #59  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhollesView Post
Exactly.
If I remember correctly (although the mind is going) this had been talked about as a possible consequence to "no card/scrapbook page information' on the upload. Maybe I am mistaken though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 04:47 PM   #60  
Insane Embellisher

Default No information on uploads

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmargmView Post
If I remember correctly (although the mind is going) this had been talked about as a possible consequence to "no card/scrapbook page information' on the upload. Maybe I am mistaken though.
Sorry - should have added - no comments if no information.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 04:52 PM   #61  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Just Me

I ALWAYS put the stamps, paper, ink, accessories, technique (if I had one - is throwing something together a technique??) down. Rarely do I do the difficulty level, because I think what is a 2 for one person might be a 5 for another. So I just can't guess.

Fortunately I rarely do anything spectacular enough to warrant a huge detailed description on the technique. :grin: So that saves me some time!

I do put a blog link in many of my uploads. But I can't stand it when people leave everything blank, with just a "see my blog..." - so I don't comment on those cards, usually.
UK ~ US ~ Spectrum Noir
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 04:54 PM   #62  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Just Me

Quote:

{{{{{{{group hug}}}}}}}}

*bobbing head in agreement*
UK ~ US ~ Spectrum Noir
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 05:14 PM   #63  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Before things become adverserial over an issue that I don't think was intended to become adverserial among anyone, and truly, there is no need for it to become so . . . ;)

I like to think we're "solutions" peeps! So, if lack of recipe info is a problem, then let's all do our part to make a positive change!

There will always be folks who genuinely have no idea how frustrating it is for someone to see a great card, find no basic info, yet be directed off-site to acquire the info, or who are genuinely unfamiliar with proper netiquette.

Oftentimes, the link is a basic blog link, and does not link to the piece in question. Argh; then folkds have to sift through blog entries to find the one they are looking for. Maybe the viewer is on dial-up. Argh--some blogs take an eternity to load cuz they have lots of fun bells & whistles! Mebbe, the blog has disappeared from the blog-o-sphere, and with it, all the info, never to be seen again. Oh no . . . :(

If we do our part by providing basic recipe info with our own uploads, and take opportunities to help spread the word in a friendly, positive manner, I think we'll end up with a win-win situation all around!

Agreed?

{{{{{{{group hug}}}}}}}}
*head is bobbing* I agree too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 05:24 PM   #64  
Stazon Splitcoast

I haven't entered the blog world yet but I always do my best with giving deets for my uploads. We all need to remember that most of us started with SCS first (before the blogs became so popular) and need to respect their wants and do our best to give out all the deets on our uploads. I've learned so much through scs and want it to continue.
Check out my new Blog: stampin & stylin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 05:33 PM   #65  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to BadSherry

Quote:

Agreed?

{{{{{{{group hug}}}}}}}}

This is as close I could find to head bobbing up and down!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 05:35 PM   #66  
The Amazin' Yappin' Scrapper

Quote:

Yep, that's me 99% of the time, too. It's frustrating beyond belief and has gotten worse in recent months. Makes cruising the gallery almost not worth it, which is sad, since there is such great talent out there!

Fan my etsy shop on Facebook: RJY Handmade Designs

Check out my etsy shop: www.rjyhandmadedesigns.etsy.com

Blog: http://rjyhandmadedesigns.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 05:36 PM   #67  
Sassy Shani

Hey, that wasn't very nice. :(
Quote:

Originally Posted by glenda sView Post
The posters that fail to give info about their cards are generally thoughtless or clueless. It doesn't bother me too much, but I alway make it a point to NOT visit their blogs.

Glenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 05:37 PM   #68  
Compulsive Stamper

I am guilty of this too, but I only post to my album. Searches pull up album uploads, so maybe that is part of the problem? I'll try to do better, I promise.

Karena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 05:39 PM   #69  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by NANCYRUTHView Post
I am sorry, i have been guilty of that, partly coz my computer is wonky and shuts me down really fast so I have to upload as quickly as I can. This should stop once I get my new computer installed! But I do get annoyed when it says go to my blog however I can uunderstand that perhaps the bloggers do not want to post all the information twice... JMHO!
they can "copy and paste" the instructions ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 05:40 PM   #70  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Many gallery uploaders do not visit the forums, and are unaware that uploading without basic info, and leaving only a "Visit my blog directive" is poor netiquette. :(

With hundreds of uploads daily, and over 125,000 users, and over half a million images in the gallery, it is an overwhelming task for our staff of gallery moderators to try to keep up with.

What I'm suggesting is, you might try leaving a comment to the friendly tune of:

"Would love to know at least some basic info about your piece, and would like to encourage you to visit this thread: Forums at Splitcoaststampers Thanks for supporting our SCS community!"

This might help us spread the word and make more folks aware! :grin:

Oh that's wonderful; have to copy that and save it so I can add that to those pics without info.... ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 05:41 PM   #71  
Rubber Obsessor

Ummmm.....what's a watermark? I keep seeing this in the posts. Are you just talking about using versamark, or is this yet another thing that I don't know about? I am still in the kindergarten stage here and need all of the help I can get! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 05:47 PM   #72  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by dyanaView Post
Ummmm.....what's a watermark? I keep seeing this in the posts. Are you just talking about using versamark, or is this yet another thing that I don't know about? I am still in the kindergarten stage here and need all of the help I can get! Thanks!
It's the white or shadowed "overlay" image with the stamper's name that you see on so many of the gallery postings now. It helps deter image theft, where people copy the photos to their own blogs & galleries, because the image is corrupted with a name across it.

Here's an example (NOT my card, just one of my faves!)loving doodle by lesarapp at Splitcoaststampers

My itty bitty gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 05:48 PM   #73  
Matboard Maniac

Julie, I commend your consistently positive and peace-keeping attitude.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 05:51 PM   #74  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by lklloydView Post
I don't mind going to a blog IF the link takes me directly to the card/info in question. I don't have the patience to search the blog once I get there!
I agree, I've clicked on links to blogs to get the info and then had to search the blog to get the info!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 05:52 PM   #75  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Oh, you sweetest thing--that's an awful loooooong siggy line for ya', however! Hmmmmmmmm . . . Lemme think . . . how 'bout:

"Gallery uploads with basic recipe info are mmm mm good! Click [url*=//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201558]HERE [/url]for more info!"

Just remove the asterisk; it will make the word HERE turn into a hyperlink and the code will then become invisible! :cool:
Man, I love that! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 05:57 PM   #76  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelly.sutterfieldView Post
It's the white or shadowed "overlay" image with the stamper's name that you see on so many of the gallery postings now. It helps deter image theft, where people copy the photos to their own blogs & galleries, because the image is corrupted with a name across it.

Here's an example (NOT my card, just one of my faves!)loving doodle by lesarapp at Splitcoaststampers
thanks for the explanation....I was wondering too ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 05:58 PM   #77  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrannaView Post
I watercolor a lot with PrismaColor Pencils. I usually just mention the PrismaColors in the "accessories" list. Should I list the colors? It seems like tmi, kwim? I don't have a blog.
I don't mention the specific colors when I use prismas...I do, however, include as much of the 'other' info as I can. The only thing I have a hard time with sometimes is when I use DP...sometimes it's a tad bit old and I have no clue who made it (and like it's available anymore anyway).

I do have a bit of sympathy for those with limited English skills as I've lived in a foreign country before. However, the names of SU colors are universal, right? Most who upload here are using SU products. Although it may take time to write down the colors, I figure if I'm going to upload something, I might as well do it right.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 05:59 PM   #78  
Mad Swapper

Isn't it great that we have Julie here to do things for us so tactfully so we don't have to figure out the way to do it ourselves? Thanks Julie!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 06:00 PM   #79  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Agreed?

{{{{{{{group hug}}}}}}}}
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2007, 06:01 PM   #80  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelly.sutterfieldView Post

But how do you get one? :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes