Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-10-2009, 04:34 PM   #1  
Gallery Gazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gallery Approval Time?

Does anyone know about how long a gallery approval should take? My card uploading has been wonky the past couple of weeks. I uploaded one card tonight and got the approval message while I was uploading two more cards (for some reason the upload page gets mad at me for wanting to upload more than one card at a time). Now it's been about maybe an hour and half and my last two uploads have not been approved yet.

I'm usually not impatient (ok, actually I am, but try to hide it); but I want to post one of the cards in a challenge thread.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 04:36 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sometimes it takes a while depending on how busy the mods are. That's the main reason I became a fan club member...instant upload approval!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 04:50 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

That is actually the reason I'm not going to become a fan member...the whole "we can't trust you to not post inappropriate pictures unless you pay us $25" really turned me off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 05:49 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtgchicView Post
That is actually the reason I'm not going to become a fan member...the whole "we can't trust you to not post inappropriate pictures unless you pay us $25" really turned me off.
Approval is more from a need to keep the gallery organized, although the smut/spam thing is an occasional concern. You've seen how many forum threads are put in the wrong place and have to be moved, merged, or deleted by the moderators -- can you imagine the migraine-inducing chaos that would ensue if the gallery were the same way? Having to approve the images first ensures that (usually) they end up in the correct place the FIRST time. ;)

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 06:15 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by steubnerView Post
Sometimes it takes a while depending on how busy the mods are. That's the main reason I became a fan club member...instant upload approval!
Me too. Plus I love to be able to upload on Sunday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 06:50 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4dView Post
Approval is more from a need to keep the gallery organized, although the smut/spam thing is an occasional concern. You've seen how many forum threads are put in the wrong place and have to be moved, merged, or deleted by the moderators -- can you imagine the migraine-inducing chaos that would ensue if the gallery were the same way? Having to approve the images first ensures that (usually) they end up in the correct place the FIRST time. ;)
I'm not trying to start a fan-club/non-fan-club thing, but how does being in the fan club ensure that you put your image in the correct gallery? Or do they just post the fan club members images and then go back and check them?

If SCS would say, "We don't allow instant updates for free because we want you to have a reason to join the Fan Club" I could understand that (since a lot of websites offer added bonuses to the paying members). I just don't understand the "we need to monitor the non-paying members because they're untrustworthy and/or stupid."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 08:56 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

It doesn't ensure anything. It's just one of the perks people get for their financial support of the site. Being able to view the Fan Club galleries, instant uploads, and I forget what else, are all just part of the thank you that SCS gives to its supporters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 09:15 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 244 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Does anyone know about how long a gallery approval should take? My card uploading has been wonky the past couple of weeks. I uploaded one card tonight and got the approval message while I was uploading two more cards (for some reason the upload page gets mad at me for wanting to upload more than one card at a time). Now it's been about maybe an hour and half and my last two uploads have not been approved yet....
I'm sorry if you have experienced delays recently. SCS technical experts are still working diligently to correct all difficulties. Whenever you have a problem that seems to prevail, we welcome you to post your question or problem in our Site Suggestions & Questions forum. One of our technical team will see your query there and will be glad to try to help.

In the meantime, I'm glad to share some very interesting facts to help everyone have a better picture of gallery uploads.
  • Gallery moderators work a set "shift" of time, Mon-Sat, voluntarily.
  • Sunday is their only 'day off' from their volunteer time slot.
  • I'm not sure what time the last gallery moderator shift ends, but they do not work late nights /overnight, etc.
  • Instant uploads and Sunday uploads are simply a "perk" given to those members who buy an annual Fan Club Membership. It's not a way to 'check out' members ahead of time. It is simply a perk created to generate revenue for SCS's operating costs. When it was first created, our SCS was pretty small in membership, yet it remains as a great perk to Fan Club Membership.

I hope this helps a bit. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 10:07 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I'm not trying to start a fan-club/non-fan-club thing, but how does being in the fan club ensure that you put your image in the correct gallery? Or do they just post the fan club members images and then go back and check them?

If SCS would say, "We don't allow instant updates for free because we want you to have a reason to join the Fan Club" I could understand that (since a lot of websites offer added bonuses to the paying members). I just don't understand the "we need to monitor the non-paying members because they're untrustworthy and/or stupid."
it's an effective way of monitoring inappropriate uploads in because someone wanting to post CRAP (smut etc...) wouldn't pay the $25... it's just the hope that people will upload to the right place.

either way... if you're not willing to pay the membership fee, don't complain about waiting because as texasgrammy said, they're all volunteers...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 10:58 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

great information, since I was thinking of joining, this web site is so supportive and educational, good job SCS
Elaine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 11:28 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,062 Likes on 817 Posts

Before I was a fan-club member, I never felt that it was because I was either stupid or unstrustworthy that photos had to be approved, I just saw it as part of maintaining the gallery as well as possible. As the OP mentions in another post, there is no way of ensuring that a fan-club member uploads to the most appropriate gallery - and often they don't. If it's not a straightforward card and not using SU sets, there are so many possibilities and I think a lot of stuff just ends up in member galleries that could be elsewhere. The only time, as a fan-club member, that I had something moved was when a TLC involved making a box. I guessed that because there were a lot of box uploads that day, someone noticed that a lot of them were not going in the most suitable gallery.
I like instant uploads, but it wasn't my main reason for subscribing; for me, I wasn't paying for the facility but it was a perk for having paid. I know other people may not see it like, I am just speaking for myself. I reckoned that I used the site so much that it deserved my money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 02:59 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
...for me, I wasn't paying for the facility but it was a perk for having paid. I know other people may not see it like, I am just speaking for myself. I reckoned that I used the site so much that it deserved my money.
Me too - I am impatient and I do like the instant uploads but I became a fan club member because I felt the site deserved support and a $25 subscription seemed like a neat way to say thanks for everything that's provided for us here. I was a moderator on another site (not stamping related) and had a pretty good idea of the amount of effort that goes in to keeping something like SCS on the rails. Over there, we approved sign-ups manually and you wouldn't believe the number of times we'd get half a dozen applications from the same person in the space of an hour, even though the confirmation screen said it wasn't an automatic process and the application would be reviewed by site admin as soon as possible. Like the gallery mods here - we did need to sleep sometimes ;)

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 05:31 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGrammyView Post
I'm sorry if you have experienced delays recently. SCS technical experts are still working diligently to correct all difficulties. Whenever you have a problem that seems to prevail, we welcome you to post your question or problem in our Site Suggestions & Questions forum. One of our technical team will see your query there and will be glad to try to help.

In the meantime, I'm glad to share some very interesting facts to help everyone have a better picture of gallery uploads.
  • Gallery moderators work a set "shift" of time, Mon-Sat, voluntarily.
  • Sunday is their only 'day off' from their volunteer time slot.
  • I'm not sure what time the last gallery moderator shift ends, but they do not work late nights /overnight, etc.
  • Instant uploads and Sunday uploads are simply a "perk" given to those members who buy an annual Fan Club Membership. It's not a way to 'check out' members ahead of time. It is simply a perk created to generate revenue for SCS's operating costs. When it was first created, our SCS was pretty small in membership, yet it remains as a great perk to Fan Club Membership.

I hope this helps a bit. ;)
Thank you, TexasGrammy, for that information. It does help to understand how the upload approval system works. Perhaps I will consider joining the Fan Club next month.

I did post my problem in the site suggestion forum a week ago, but since it had a "fix" (upload one at a time) I assumed they had fatter fish to fry with the site update.

I know the mods work very hard at maintaining this site, which is why the long delay was so unusual for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 07:30 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

We've all had plenty of opportunity to interact with the SCS team on this site, and I could never for one second believe that they'd EVER consider any member to be "untrustworthy" who hadn't shown themselves to be so (I can count on one hand with fingers to spare all of the folks I know of who've been serious troublemakers in the five years I've been on this site), and there's no way they consider ANYONE to be stupid. If anything, the instant upload privilege puts pressure on the FC members to make doubly sure their stuff goes in the right slot, because otherwise it could easily be taken away!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 09:40 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

I am also a very impatient person and would like instant uploads, but most important I wanted to support this site. I LOVE it! So I joined the Fan Club today!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 12:56 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

How are you notified if and when your upload is approved?
Thanks, Lynn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 01:22 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimlynnView Post
Thanks, Lynn
I haven't uploaded to my gallery for a long time, but as far as I know you do not receive a notification message. The "image awaiting approval" icon in the gallery is simply replaced with your picture.

My Stampin' Up! blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 01:56 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4dView Post
I haven't uploaded to my gallery for a long time, but as far as I know you do not receive a notification message. The "image awaiting approval" icon in the gallery is simply replaced with your picture.
No, actually, you CAN receive an email notification if you've clicked that option under your profile somewhere. My membership had recently lapsed :oops: but I had continued uploading photos anyway, so everytime one would be approved, I would get an email notification.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 02:02 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimlynnView Post
Thanks, Lynn
I always get an email when my upload has been approved. I need to renew my Fan Club membership ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #20  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

TexasGrammy definitely hit the nail on the head with the volunteers keeping the gallery clean, etc. I own a PhotoPost board and the back end responsibilities are tremendous and there is a enormous amount of costs associated with a board of this caliber. I can't even begin to imagine the space requirements, which are not inexpensive at all. If SCS has their own server, then we're talking in the 5-digit range to maintain this site. Then there's software updates/upgrades, etc. If the software gets wonky, which it will, guess who's up at 3 a.m.? Probably Daven, Jenn and the rest of the volunteers here, fixing the problem so all runs smooth for their members. Then there's spam, and a whole host of other things that we aren't really aware of. The resources alone are worth $25 and you're supporting a great site and that will help them allow to bring you bigger and better benefits for your membership. Anytime a new feature is added, it's an automatic 40 hours to make sure that it all integrates well with the rest of the site, custom script writing, etc. Some fixes are checking a box, but most aren't.

I know I'm blabbering but just going through this myself, there's a tremendous learning curve that is absolutely time consuming and costly too when you really mess up.

Plus, the mods and challenge hostesses here are volunteers. We all know the wonderful stuff they faithfully come up with for our weekly challenges and a lot of their time is invested in this as well.

I'm of the belief that is somebody really wants something, they'll support the effort.

Thanks for listening.

Stampin' Up! Only Challenges Design Team
Proud Fan Club Member Since 2007
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 06:08 PM   #21  
SCS Founder

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

thanks for the kind words Cindy, you're pretty much spot on with your assessment of time and work it takes to maintain a community like Splitcoast. but we actually have 6 servers :^)

the community keeps the community going, and that's the way it should be. so many people contribute their time and effort here, from challenge hostesses, special event hostesses (VSN, etc), all the moderators and group leaders, team members, the list goes on and on.

Needs a sig
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 06:36 PM   #22  
SCS Founder

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

and of course a special thank you to all of you Fan Club members!

Needs a sig
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 07:36 PM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by splitcoaststampersView Post
and of course a special thank you to all of you Fan Club members!
Wow, this is an old thread, but I just joined the Fan Club this week!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 07:43 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh yeah! Didn't realise it was old!! I'm going to re-join soon too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 07:51 PM   #25  
Crimping Master

I've noticed that for my last few uploads that it won't show in the gallery while it's being approved, and that's fine. What does suck though is that when it finally does get approved, it's placed on page 5 of "today's uploads". So my last few cards get hardly any views, almost no comments because it's already so far back, no one goes that far back. I don't know why my uploads are doing that but it's really discouraging to know that your cards are always lost in the shuffle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 08:02 PM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wannabestampin'View Post
I've noticed that for my last few uploads that it won't show in the gallery while it's being approved, and that's fine. What does suck though is that when it finally does get approved, it's placed on page 5 of "today's uploads". So my last few cards get hardly any views, almost no comments because it's already so far back, no one goes that far back. I don't know why my uploads are doing that but it's really discouraging to know that your cards are always lost in the shuffle.
I think your card upload time that determines your spot in the gallery is based on the time you upload it, not the time it is approved. So if 10 fanclub members upload before you're approved, your card will be behind theirs. This is total speculation based on personal experience.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 08:16 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

I think your card upload time that determines your spot in the gallery is based on the time you upload it, not the time it is approved. So if 10 fanclub members upload before you're approved, your card will be behind theirs. This is total speculation based on personal experience.
You're right on!

And another "right on!" to what Daven said, too!
Reply With Quote Likes