Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #41  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know what's gotten into me lately, but I've suddenly started cleaning up after every few projects. I'm getting so much more done now, it's amazing! Plus, there's nothing like sitting down at a clean desk...heaven.

For years I've been super messy, so I don't know what brought on this change, but I'm loving it!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2011, 02:17 AM   #42  
Kookie Creator

Yes, alot of times I am just so blind. The thing was calling out to me right in front and yet I didn't see it. That call ignoring the obvious.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2011, 04:21 AM   #43  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm the exact opposite. I keep my scrap area neat and tidy. But everything else around it is a mess! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2011, 08:12 AM   #44  
Mad Swapper

I was missing my favorite YELLOW scissors for over a week. Finally found them under a piece of paper I had looked under a million times. I don't have time to clean, I have to much to create.
A Muse Studio Consultant #1021
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2011, 09:48 AM   #45  
Pearl-ExPert

Default All the time!

I am always "losing" something when I am creating. I got so tired of hunting my bone folder as I move from one table to cut and the other to decorate than I put a string thru the hole in the top and made a necklace. I wear it now when I am working. I have lost a few tiny acrylics that must have stuck to something and I can't locate them. Now I clean and put back in the case as I go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2011, 11:48 AM   #46  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm constantly losing things. We moved into a new house the beginning of February and aren't completely unpacked but I had to start stamping. . .don't even ask me about the number of things I've taken out of boxes, attempted to organize, and then lost.

You don't want to see my desk--I have a little space for stamping :-)

Check out my blog

Here's my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #47  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by winnieuView Post
I am always "losing" something when I am creating. I got so tired of hunting my bone folder as I move from one table to cut and the other to decorate than I put a string thru the hole in the top and made a necklace. I wear it now when I am working. I have lost a few tiny acrylics that must have stuck to something and I can't locate them. Now I clean and put back in the case as I go.

I would love to see the UPS man's eyes if you open the door with your pretty little necklace on...lol. But then again, I bet they have seen some pretty strange things and not even blink at what you were wearing.

I need to make myself an apron with twenty pockets on it. Maybe then I can keep up with my stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2011, 02:19 AM   #48  
Matboard Maniac

Many of you need St Anthony as your crafting friend! After you have searched unsuccessfully for a lost item, say out loud 'St Anthony, please come round: something's lost that must be found' and then have another look. The results can amaze even the most hardened sceptic (skeptic!)....but don't forget to say thank you or he may not be so obliging next time
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2011, 05:25 AM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by not2shabbydesignsView Post
I would love to see the UPS man's eyes if you open the door with your pretty little necklace on...lol. But then again, I bet they have seen some pretty strange things and not even blink at what you were wearing.

I need to make myself an apron with twenty pockets on it. Maybe then I can keep up with my stuff.
Now there's an idea. Maybe even put long strings on things like, tiny pointed scissors, bone folders, and anything else small that tends to hide from view. Stamp the pocket with a picture of the item. Then if the item isn't in the pocket, you could follow the string to find it.

By the way, when you get this apron done, could you make me one too.

Work in progress - 27lbs gone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2011, 04:18 AM   #50  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

my desk is a permanent tip! just expect dorothy and toto to turn up any moment!
i tidy up and 1 ard later it looks exactly the same!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2011, 04:39 AM   #51  
Inking Addict

Truthfully, i didn't realize quite the quantity of stuff I had until just last evening... I was foraging through my papers trying to find the right one, and found myself actually wading through totes and and "organizers" to find what I needed! Good grief! I actually stopped... closed my eyes and prayed to the cleaning fairy for some assistance!

To no avail though, ladies. I don't recommend using the Fairy cleaning crew... They never seem to show up...

Smiles...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2011, 04:49 AM   #52  
Rubber Obsessor

Natalie
Ha Ha - thanks so much for sharing!

Oh dear that could start a who's desk is worse! Mine is crazy messy. I have just received an online order I placed and I can't even think of where to put it so I simply piled it on top.

Last edited by CanadianMom; 04-13-2011 at 04:50 AM.. Reason: wrong quote
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2011, 04:55 AM   #53  
Rubber Obsessor

[QUOTE=tiffany831;18196519]Truthfully, i didn't realize quite the quantity of stuff I had until just last evening... I was foraging through my papers trying to find the right one, and found myself actually wading through totes and and "organizers" to find what I needed!

This is me everyday.... I have 2 LARGE totes for paper PLUS 5 cubes from Michaels of paper - and I just got a box in the mail...can you say I have a problem...

The bigger the mess - the more I buy......terrible!!! I think I need an paper intervention!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2011, 04:58 AM   #54  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
:mrgreen: Yep. Like lots of life situations, sometimes the first thing to do is walk away. Just walk away.

I'm sure there will be a time when you feel up to the challenge again!!! And who knows. . . when you do go to look for it, you may find some other hidden treasure :^) .
Yep, my mom always said the mess will still be there when you go back. It's true, there are no cleaning fairies. :( I know, it sucks. BUT sometimes it gives you a new direction, new view of the mess. So get a cup of coffee, check your emails, eat a cookie, walk the dog. Then when you go back, if you still can't find that punch/scissors etc. You might decide you want to do a different card till it shows up! Tee hee.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2011, 04:59 AM   #55  
Glitter Queen

When I got my lovely new craft room I vowed I would put everything away at the end of each crafting session so it would stay tidy.....lasted about 3 days and now my desk looks like Natalie's . I have showed my DH photos like this just to prove that I'm not the only one who ends up working in an A4 sized spot on a huuuuuge table.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2011, 05:07 AM   #56  
Inking Addict

This is me everyday.... I have 2 LARGE totes for paper PLUS 5 cubes from Michaels of paper - and I just got a box in the mail...can you say I have a problem...

The bigger the mess - the more I buy......terrible!!! I think I need an paper intervention![/QUOTE]

A paper intervention!? That's hilarious!!! I never seem to be able to gage what I need "more" of! I just keep buying! Maybe you and I should join a support group! DPAnon... ;)

Me though, I'm seriously a gadget geek! I LOVE to have the tools to do everything! (even if i never use them! It's like it's a NEED to be 'able' to do it!)

However, my current obsession: The cricut. I got my VERY FIRST CRICUT for Christmas ... and MAN OH MAN! I've been buying cartridges like CRAZY! (Always finding the best deals, of course!) Can't seem to organize them to my liking... Dear shoe boxes... You're SO handy.....

Most recent purchase: IROCK & I-Top from imaginisce... seriously I have no idea how I survived adhering gems that didn't come on a sheet pre-sticky WITHOUT the IROCK! However... storing these things?! holy crap on a cracker... ... smiles, I'm in trouble!

Last edited by tiffany831; 04-13-2011 at 05:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2011, 05:18 AM   #57  
Glitter Queen

Talking

Thanks, ladies, for making me smile early in the morning. Could relate to every single one of your tales. What a hoot! So glad to know that I'm in such good company. My scrapbooking buddy and I will often email each other for help in finding a misplaced item. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. May have to conjure up St. Anthony the next time! :grin: I am always determined to scrap or stamp neatly but it never seems to happen. I do have a sign I like to keep over my desk that says "a cluttered desk is a sign of genius". So, take heart ladies.....we are all geniuses. :grin:

My kids have flown the nest so I'm very fortunate to have a room for my hobby and I'm in the process of moving into my DD's room which is larger than DS's is. But, all that means is that I will have more space to fill with supplies

Have a creative day.

Sandy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2011, 05:39 AM   #58  
Inking Addict

I am so glad to have read this and know that I am not ALONE!! I think it's "that old lady" that has moved in with me...she moves everything and what she doesn't move she takes! It's been an encouraging morning! So on to being creative and may the Lord Bless my Mess!
Jan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2011, 07:02 AM   #59  
Pearl-ExPert

Where is the "like" button?? This has just made my day, totally laughing out loud at work. My husband walks by my craft area and just rolls his eyes. I think he's wondering when the tornado hit...

"Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else.� Judy Garland
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2011, 07:33 AM   #60  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Valentine cards?

I just refound the addresses of 3 friends I intended to send Valentine postcards to. One has a birthday in a few days, so it has now become a birthday card.

Instead of bemoaning items lost, how about having a "Find of the Day", where you cheer for the thing(s) you just found?

I thought I'd lost a pair of scissors at school. Later I found them at home, in a lunchbox with many colored pencils.

I'm not a Catholic, so I don't know if finding lost items is in St. Anthony's job description or not. I guess if he doesn't help you, you could try St. Jude, the patron saint of lost causes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2011, 07:46 AM   #61  
Stazon Splitcoast

Okay, EVERYONE go through their tables this weekend. Send me all duplicate items and a list of what has disappeared from your craft room. I figure if we end up with dupes, and end up not being able to find something, it MUST be because they have gone visiting members of their family. Why else would I own 21 pairs of scissors and be using a dinkly little snipper pair because they're the only ones I have? They MUST have gone on vacation and be in one of your houses!! I will attempt to convince them to all go home and at least least a "on vaca" notice next time they leave!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2011, 08:47 AM   #62  
Pearl-ExPert

Wendy, you are hilarious! I too have the same problem as everyone else. Frantically searching for my score tool or scissors. I try to make myself tidy up after each project is finished but most of the time everything becomes buried.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2011, 08:53 AM   #63  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorView Post
I have had that happen more times than I can imagine. Right now my craft room is a HUGE mess. Hubby is putting up shelves for me (YAY!). However, I had started organizing so when he got started it would easier - um, didn't happen. There is still stuff everywhere. I hope to get the shelves done by the end of the weekend so next week I start putting things away. Let's see how much stuff is misplaced, lost, hiding from me!
I have shelves and it is still a mess. I think we get so into our crafting, we just get too much stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2011, 09:02 AM   #64  
Glitter Queen

I completely understand how all of you feel. My husband always comments about how messy my craft room is. Now my DD has moved out so I'm taking her room for the craft room since it's bigger. What a chore to move all of my stuff from one room to another. You don't realize how much stuff you have until you have to pull it all out of the cabinets so the cabinets can be moved. I think I've bitten off more than I can chew.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2011, 09:43 AM   #65  
Inking Addict

Red face

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitebatView Post
I just refound the addresses of 3 friends I intended to send Valentine postcards to. One has a birthday in a few days, so it has now become a birthday card.

Instead of bemoaning items lost, how about having a "Find of the Day", where you cheer for the thing(s) you just found?

I thought I'd lost a pair of scissors at school. Later I found them at home, in a lunchbox with many colored pencils.

I'm not a Catholic, so I don't know if finding lost items is in St. Anthony's job description or not. I guess if he doesn't help you, you could try St. Jude, the patron saint of lost causes.
I Love the idea of a "Find of the Day" maybe I will keep a list...but then it would probably get buried under everything! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #66  
Cardstock Collector

Red face craft room is so messy

Wheew! I was really down on myself last night because I just cleaned my work table and I realized I was down to working in as 12x12 inch work space. All my tools, paper, etc. I had been using stacked all around me. I wish I could just pick up each day but I go in there off and on all day and night and I enjoy the fact I do not have to clean it up like the rest of my house. I enjoy going in there so much more when it is clean though
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2011, 10:08 AM   #67  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northern StarView Post
Thanks, ladies, for making me smile early in the morning. Could relate to every single one of your tales. What a hoot! So glad to know that I'm in such good company. My scrapbooking buddy and I will often email each other for help in finding a misplaced item. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. May have to conjure up St. Anthony the next time! I am always determined to scrap or stamp neatly but it never seems to happen. I do have a sign I like to keep over my desk that says "a cluttered desk is a sign of genius". So, take heart ladies.....we are all geniuses.

My kids have flown the nest so I'm very fortunate to have a room for my hobby and I'm in the process of moving into my DD's room which is larger than DS's is. But, all that means is that I will have more space to fill with supplies

Have a creative day.

Sandy
are the rooms side-by-side? can you knock out a wall or create an arch so that you have twice the room?

I would really like for my craft room to be about 20x40 with shelves all on one of the walls. that way I could have all my stuff in one room instead of spread out over 3 closets plus the 10x12 room I'm in.

Work in progress - 27lbs gone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #68  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 247 Likes on 133 Posts

I pretty much put away as I work, so only at times is my work table too messy. However, that does not prevent me from loosing things. Often it is right out in the open--roll of tape, bone folder, scissors--because I've just used it, but I still look all over, looking right past it SEVERAL times without seeing it! I'm not blind and actually see quite well except for very, very close work, so I can't blame my problem on sight. May have to start hanging things around my neck as my DH suggests.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2011, 10:27 AM   #69  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue AltView Post
are the rooms side-by-side? can you knock out a wall or create an arch so that you have twice the room?
I would really like for my craft room to be about 20x40 with shelves all on one of the walls. that way I could have all my stuff in one room instead of spread out over 3 closets plus the 10x12 room I'm in.
Hmmmmm, never thought about knocking out a wall! What a great idea! :grin: But, the walls have been painted and DS's room will now be the guest room so the floor has been refinished as well since there was paint all over it from when DS was little. If you had only suggested this idea earlier:!: Oh, well. No complaints. My new space is 16'x10'9" with a lovely big window. There is still a bed in here - temporary - and the room is filled to the brim with a closet full of DS's stuff from his "former" room so there is still a lot of organizing and purging to be done. Who knows, maybe I'll find lots of scissors, bone folders, or other things that posters say they are missing. I'll keep you posted.

Sandy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2011, 11:58 AM   #70  
Mad Swapper

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by live4stampinView Post
Hahaha! Love this thread... Okay, ladies, repeat after me: "Just look down." (Because whatever I'm looking for almost ALWAYS ends up being right there in front of me.) ;-)

Anne
Ha...This is me constantly, Anne. I know it's there I just can't see it.LOL
Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #71  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 472 Likes on 351 Posts

I work on a totally messy desk except that I'm fanatical about putting my bone folder, favourite scissors, tweezers (for peeling the backing off my SookWang tape and dimensionals), and pencil away in their proper places every time I used them - misplacing one of those four items puts me into the crankiest mood imaginable!

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2011, 06:31 PM   #72  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Messy work area

Boy, am I ever glad to know I'm not the only one. I spend more time looking for something than I do making cards. I have outgrown my space but do I stop buying supplies? No. I
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2011, 06:32 PM   #73  
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via Skype™ to jogrybali

This thread makes me feel so good! I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE.
Keep looking,
Jogrybali
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2011, 05:29 AM   #74  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts

Hmm, has anyone seen my little yellow and black Cutterbee tweezers? 'Cause I've been looking for them for days.......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2011, 05:52 AM   #75  
Matboard Maniac

One thing I did that helped with the mess a little (and I'm stressing a little here) is to hang a garbage bag on my table with some packing tape, just an plastic one from Hobby Lobby or Michael's. It at least keeps MOST of the trash off the table. Hang it by your dominant hand so you use it. I use that more than reaching for the waste basket, it's just handier and I can do it without thinking. At least the trash isn't part of the clutter. Little scraps and such end up in there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2011, 05:59 AM   #76  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjzimView Post
Hmm, has anyone seen my little yellow and black Cutterbee tweezers? 'Cause I've been looking for them for days.......
Yup, it is right there beside my cut paper - in an alternate dimension I believe, so if you can find yourself a machine that can open a portal to that dimension, you can retrieve them. By the way, while you are there, can you also get my craft knife - I lost it about 6 weeks ago......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2011, 10:21 AM   #77  
Glitter Guru

Received 812 Likes on 532 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreaSheldon1View Post
Natalie,
When I saw the photo of your desk, I literally laughed out loud! Now THAT'S a creative mess!

(and yet, it looks so darn familiar to me!);)
I laughed too - a "that looks familiar to me" laugh.

Only my "area" is on one end of my dining room table.

DH knows not to say a word about it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2011, 11:12 AM   #78  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: in sunny Florida on the wonderful west coast. Venice FL

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogymnast82View Post
Even with my messes, I can normally find what I need - until my husband starts moving things around and doesn't put them back. Then it's major frustration (that's putting it nicely). If he'd stay out of my stuff whether it be crafting stuff or paperwork stuff, then life would be good.
This reminds me of what a friend once said after she became widowed. She remarked that one of the worst parts of being a widow was not having someone to blame stuff on! LOL I think of that now everytime I figure "George did something with it."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #79  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: in sunny Florida on the wonderful west coast. Venice FL

It used to be maddening to have to look for just-finished cards or in-process cards that suddenly are no where to be found. I'm a slow learner but have enough experience with that scenario so NOW I know to look first in the scanner and/or think about what stack of heavy stuff I put them under to get them to lay flat!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #80  
Hardware Hotshot

After my frustrating hunt for the vanishing scissors I developed a new system. I keep an empty SU clam shell case on the table for all of the little tools, such as bone folder, scissors, piecer, etc. . I just toss them in the clam shell case after I use them and can find them again when I need them. It is hard to lose the whole plastic box even if the table is a mess.
Reply With Quote Likes