Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-20-2010, 04:23 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking The Foam Layer on stamps

Hello all of your brilliant ladies out there!

I'm writing to ask about the foam layer on stamps. Is it really necessary? Why am I asking?

Well, I have been doing my best to downsize the space required for my stamp sets. I have taken most of them off of the wood mount and transfered them into cd cases or dvd cases from SU! I was looking at my wheels. I easily peeled the rubber off of one of the wheels I have and realize that I could free up some more space if I did it to all of them.

Why on earth would I do that?! Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the wheel? Yes, it would, but since I am not very good at using wheels anyway I never look at my wheel stash. I buy wheels because of the designs but then I can't seem to get it straight.

Ok so back to the subject...sorry about all of the rabbits....
The wheel doesn't have a foam layer. Since I want to convert it into a long stamp, will I need to purchase a foam layer? Or is it ok just to stamp with the rubber?

Thanks for all of your help
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2010, 06:29 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

If you stamp without a foam cushion with the rubber, you need a cushion of some sort under your paper. I stamp on a foam mat all the time but when I use clear polymer stamps on a block I usually add the small piece of foam that is packed with some stamps just as a little extra "cush." I think rubber with no foam and no cushion makes for a bad stamped image.
Mary Beth
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2010, 06:35 AM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

I unmounted all of my stamps some have cushion some don't , I haven't found any difference when stamping, I have read in a different post that some stampers will place a piece of cushion under there cardstock when they stamp with raw rubber. I also took the rubber off my wheels and I love it, I use my wheels more now. I have no regrets going unmounted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2010, 06:49 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Wow, lots of different answers here. Thank you so much for replying so quickly. I will try to stamp a few time without the foam from my wheel stamp. If it doesn't seem to work well I will try adding something (maybe a mouse pad?) under my card stock. If THAT doesn't seem right I can put some foam on the rubber...lol

I also do not regret taking my stamps off of the wood, though I did not take the rubber off of the foam.

Happy Stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2010, 01:19 PM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

I took all the wood and foam off my rubber stamps. I put a cushion sheet under the cardstock, and I feel I get a better image than when they were mounted.

I never considered removing the rubber off a wheel to make a flat stamp -- NOW I'm going to have to take a longer look at the wheels in the catalog!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2010, 01:50 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Depends on the stamp for me, usually the size of the stamp and the thickness of it's rubber. Personally I find having the foam on there does make the stamp better as when I press, it gives the image a more even stamp, but on a small size stamp or a sturdier type stamp, I don't need the foam. Just my thought.

Cheers, Holley
a new project posted everyday! Holley's Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2010, 04:07 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

I find that not using the foam gives me a sharper image, and most of my stamps do not have foam, now that I have unmounted them. I use an acrylic block that I put some sticky stuff onto that is just slightly padded with enough give in it that I do not need a mat either, except for about 2 stamps.

I had some long thin stamps from the UK that I unmounted and use in similar manner to the wheels, and I don't use a foam mat for those either. I haven't yet unmounted my wheels, because I do like the effect of wheeling over a large area rather than move the stamp along to make the length required. I am hopeless at matching up. lol. I have never even thought to use a mat under them, either, and have never had a problem with lack of sharpness - because the SU! wheels have the inkpad inside the wheel runner.

What I find I use my mat for is as an underlay for poking holes for brads. lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2010, 05:18 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

I've read where lots of people have taken the rubber off the wheel and used a long clear block. I'm not unmounting, but I will unmount my wheels as I'm not good with them either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2010, 05:30 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Thank you very much for your responses. I've never heard of putting a mat under my paper before. I'll have to try it. I didn't really think of the foam possibly giving a better crisp image. I really appreciate all of the input. It leaves me lots more possibilities than I originally though I had.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2010, 05:54 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have any cushion on any of my stamps and have no problem at all getting a great impression when I stamp! I think it is a personal choice and if you feel you need cushion, use a mouse pad under your paper...

My stamps take so much less room without wood and foam to store and are so much easier to use...Try both and see which you like!

And your wheels...They line up perfect every time on a long acrylic block for stamping!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

what kind of sticky stuff goes on the back of your stamps that don't have foam?
Reply With Quote Likes