Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-01-2014, 09:09 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Fellow Forum Lurkers...

I stalk the forums fairly regularly (especially General Stamping Talk and Mission Organization), but I don't create or post my creations anywhere near as often.

Every now and then someone will post a comment that makes me curious and I'll click over to view their gallery, only to find that a) they don't have one at all or, b) they haven't added anything to it in years.

This makes me wonder: how many of us like to TALK about stamping/organizing/tools/techniques or LEARN about stamping/organizing/tools/techniques, but don't actually DO as much as we talk or learn about...?

Or are some people out there wildly creating all kinds of wonderful things, but they're hesitant to post them where others can see? Or are there other reasons that I'm unaware of?

For myself, I'm still trying to get a handle on all of my "stuff", so I'm spending waaaay more time on organizing than creating, and when I'm dog-tired, it's easier and less effort to join a conversation than to start a project.

Thoughts? Poems? Anecdotes? I really am curious...

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2014, 09:19 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi,
Like you, I lurk and post, but I have an empty gallery. I've not had any lucky uploading from my mac.
mob
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2014, 09:30 AM   #3  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobrien207View Post
Hi,
Like you, I lurk and post, but I have an empty gallery. I've not had any lucky uploading from my mac.
mob

I can help you with that! PM me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2014, 09:37 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

I lurk, occasionally post, but have never uploaded pictures. I still feel new to this craft and find myself casing most of the time. I love the ideas, inspiration, and information I've gotten here, and after a very long move across the country coupled with major health issues, I think I may be ready to participate in some challenges. Glad to see I'm not the only one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2014, 10:15 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

For me, I have been having migraine issues for the past two years. Past year, I pretty much "case" my cards and figured why post.

I keep a record of the cards I make in my computer and transfer to a thumb drive every once in awhile.

When my muse comes back, and I can design cards without "caseing" them, I will post them to my gallery.

Guess I should just go cruise the sketch challenge threads, that should do it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2014, 10:16 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't done much of any kind of creating - cards, quilting, photography, etc. - since I got my puppy a year ago. So many interruptions that I feel like I'm starting over on whatever I'm doing when I get back to it. She's just now starting to settle some, so hopefully that will change soon. In the meantime, I lurk and comment occasionally.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2014, 10:25 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 510 Likes on 229 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I stalk the forums fairly regularly (especially General Stamping Talk and Mission Organization)

This makes me wonder: how many of us like to TALK about stamping/organizing/tools/techniques or LEARN about stamping/organizing/tools/techniques, but don't actually DO as much as we talk or learn about...?

For myself, I'm still trying to get a handle on all of my "stuff", so I'm spending waaaay more time on organizing than creating

Thoughts? ... I really am curious...

I resemble that!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2014, 10:55 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been a member here since 2011. But just recently started uploading my cards and joining in the forums.

My biggest reason for not joining in sooner was when I found this website and mentioned it to a friend who does scrap-booking that she might like it, had already joined several years ago, and had some very negative feelings about this site.

So I never felt comfortable really speaking up in the forums or posting my cards. But after a while, I decided what the heck! But I have to say, so far everyone has been so helpful and very nice.

I then decided to upload my cards, so that I could keep them in one place.

Boy am I glad that I did decided to join in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2014, 11:06 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

I have been around for quite a while. I read the boards almost daily and post when the topic is one I think I might have something of value to add, but have only recently added a gallery. I didn't upload my cards before because I see all the beautiful work shown by others & never felt my efforts could measure up. I don't have Copics or much in the way of fancy new tools and most of my supplies are quite old. My cards are pretty plain & simple even though I do love doing them. I must say though that I have been very touched by the kindness & encouragement of others on the board and would encourage others who are shy about sharing their work to go ahead, take a chance and start a gallery. It is simple to set up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2014, 11:11 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I have been a member here for a while, hardly ever posted in the beginning. I haven't put anything new in the gallery for a long time.

But I just recently got involved in card swaps here, and have been having fun doing that. I also get involved on the receive a card, send a card thread. Nice bunch of ladies on both boards. So I do create, even if it's just for swaps and the occasional card to send to family and friends.

I don't see the need (for me) for posting my cards online. I do enjoy looking through the gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I haven't up loaded in a long time, not because I don't want to share, but because I tend to create at the last minute and don't have time to photograph it, and I have normally given it away when I think, oh I should have taken a photo of that...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2014, 11:36 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I don't take/upload pictures of most of the things I make. I just don't have the time. I post when I feel that I can contribute to a conversation, and I sometimes ask questions to get information and opinions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2014, 11:52 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm going to get a bit deep here.

My gallery has not much in it, and what's in it was kind of posted in spurts. For a while, I was bound and determined that I was going to make time to post to the gallery, come hell or high water.

And then I caught myself spending way too much time stalking my posts for comments. If I got a comment, it made my day; if no one commented, it must mean that my card was awful, hideous . . .

I really love making cards. And I didn't like it that I was letting something like comments infringe on that. Especially since I know that when I go thru the gallery to look, what cards I even look at are totally random. There are just too many to look at everything. So I know - in my head - that the number of comments on a card really mean nothing (most of the time). So I went back to just making 'em and trying to send them out. I do still take pictures of what I've done, and maybe I'll go back and start uploading again, once I can train myself to behave like a grownup
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2014, 12:00 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I don't take/upload pictures of most of the things I make. I just don't have the time. I post when I feel that I can contribute to a conversation, and I sometimes ask questions to get information and opinions.
This is me exactly. :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2014, 12:11 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddy'smamaView Post
I have been a member here since 2011. But just recently started uploading my cards and joining in the forums.

My biggest reason for not joining in sooner was when I found this website and mentioned it to a friend who does scrap-booking that she might like it, had already joined several years ago, and had some very negative feelings about this site.

So I never felt comfortable really speaking up in the forums or posting my cards. But after a while, I decided what the heck! But I have to say, so far everyone has been so helpful and very nice.

SERIOUSLY ???????:eek:

I joined in 2005. IF it wasn't for this site, I would not be stamping, or yet, EVER started!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2014, 12:40 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow - wider variety of responses/reasons that I would've thought! To those who lack health and/or mojo: my sympathies and love and light to you! To those who are reluctant: BE BRAVE! I've only ever seen really nice comments on cards of all levels of ability (and none of us started out being fabulous - or became so, either). On comments: there have been threads periodically where the whole comments issue has been debated. Common consensus is usually that cards posted to challenge galleries seem to get the most notice because others who join the same challenge will look around that particular gallery (as was stated above - there's just too much to look at ALL of it!) There are also a handful of "regulars" - very familiar names in the galleries - that folk tend to "follow" - everything they post gets comments. They're sort of the "rock stars" of this site. The rest of us are hit and miss on the comment front To those who lack the time: me, too...

Thanks for all who've joined the conversation! What else ya got...?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2014, 01:35 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

I make lots of cards and send them but have only a few in my gallery - the cards I made for my DD and SIL and she took the photos and uploaded them for me. I don't know how to upload, don't have a camera, don't want one and don't want to learn how to upload! I'd rather spend my time making cards. I do post comments and love looking through the gallery and that's what I'll continue doing. I'm so grateful for all the people that do upload all the wonderful cards.

Last edited by DianeinSparks; 05-01-2014 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: hit enter too soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2014, 02:05 PM   #18  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooo behind in updating my gallery. I always feel that I need to add instructions and I just don't have time so I don't post. I like getting comments on my cards but I rarely look at the galleries. Bad, bad I know, but I rarely CASE but when I do look at someone's gallery and I like a card, I will leave a comment. I'll try to get caught up a do a better job.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2014, 02:29 PM   #19  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,918 Likes on 2,186 Posts

I love this site and stalk it all day long when I'm home! Everyone has been kind and positive, which is wonderful! I have made friends and my cardmakinvhas I proved because of the inspiration I find here! I do find I get more comments on my cards when I'm playing in challenges and I've commented more this year than ever now that I know how awesome it is to get comments!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2014, 02:32 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm from old school, I'm still learning how to use my iPad. I read the posts daily, sometimes I comment on posts, but I have never have shared a card that I've made, mainly because I'm challenged with the knowledge of how to do it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2014, 02:48 PM   #21  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I've been around a while, but..............
I tend to create in spurts. I might stamp like crazy for a couple of weeks and generate a couple of dozen cards. But then I might not touch ink & paper (unless I NEED a card) for a couple of months. So even if I photographed and uploaded every item I made, I could go ages with nothing new to add. But as much as I like stamping, is isn't easy for me - it's "work" in that the design process does not come easily. So I case to some extent probably 95% of what I make. I don't see the need or reason to upload something that is already out there in some form (and probably better form truth be told) - nobody wants to see 15 postings in the gallery of the same card. I am also in need of a new camera, and a poor photographer besides - so even when I do upload, my pictures are not that great.
Every once in a while, I'll make something I'm happy with and upload, but they would certainly be the rarity rather than the norm.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2014, 04:15 PM   #22  
Mad Swapper

Been a member here for quite sometime! No gallery! Like Sue, I spend a lot of time on here, and also re-organizing my stampin space over & over!! I also do some posting if I have a question about something or will also respond to a post! I also enjoy looking at the beautiful cards & projects that are posted by very talented members here! I also try to comment on a card, especially if I put it into my faves!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2014, 05:13 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 176 Likes on 83 Posts

"This makes me wonder: how many of us like to TALK about stamping/organizing/tools/techniques or LEARN about stamping/organizing/tools/techniques, but don't actually DO as much as we talk or learn about...?"

Pretty much describes me to a T. I spend hours on the threads, admiring all the gorgeous creations people do. Never quite get around to making cards myself. When I do, I'm hesitant to put them in my gallery, because they are cards I CASED and also because I'm embarrassed/shy at the thought of people looking at them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2014, 05:27 PM   #24  
Proud Fan Club Member

I case a lot too. I see something I like I'm off to make it! I post them and give credit to where I cased it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2014, 06:36 PM   #25  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,391 Likes on 521 Posts

I create quite a bit and am motivated to do so because of specific purposes I have with my creating (church card ministry, gifts, scrapbooks, etc.). I do not post my creations, though, simply because I would rather spend that time creating or posting in conversations. I also must confess I prefer a blog format for viewing others' creations. I often think I would like to have a blog since I LOVE to write (it's actually the main reason I scrapbook) but, again, I would rather be creating than doing techie-stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2014, 06:38 PM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just started "making cards"... actually, I have only made 1 card! I felt the rush to make one for an online friend who had just lost her dad. I took pictures of it with my cell phone (after all, it was my 1st card!), but the pictures came out awful!

I am using the excuse that I am still "gathering supplies", but the truth is I miss having been away from online craft communities for a very, very long time.

I also stitch and embroider, so if anyone wants to see my Flickr page, be aware there is no paper, ink or stamps! :eek:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2014, 07:22 PM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

well I stopped adding photos when my hubby and I were moving back to the states from Germany and once we got here to Fort Hood I went back to work lol............and now we are getting ready to leave the Army which means another move so once we get moved and settled I will be back to creating and posting pictures
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2014, 07:23 PM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by CandidaView Post
I just started "making cards"... actually, I have only made 1 card! I felt the rush to make one for an online friend who had just lost her dad. I took pictures of it with my cell phone (after all, it was my 1st card!), but the pictures came out awful!

I am using the excuse that I am still "gathering supplies", but the truth is I miss having been away from online craft communities for a very, very long time.

I also stitch and embroider, so if anyone wants to see my Flickr page, be aware there is no paper, ink or stamps! :eek:
you can add small cross stitch projects on the front of cards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2014, 07:32 PM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

Everyone on this site has been so wonderful,kind and supportive I think.I have never photographed any cards I have made.I have never up-loaded nor used a watermark.Me thinks I need a computer guru to come hold my hand and walk me through all this sometime.In the meantime,I'll just keep looking at everyone's wonderful projects!That's fine with me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2014, 07:46 PM   #30  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

It seems like too much effort to photograph cards, get them off the camera and onto the computer, upload, and then figure out what company's supplies I've used to add to the info section since embellishments, etc. may not be in original packaging. I don't really feel the need to show my cards here. I just like the people I send my card to to appreciate them.

I come onto SCS to keep up with my friends with whom I go to gatherings. I am addicted to my iPad and come here for company while watching TV at night. Plus I'm just nosy! I prefer to stamp during daylight because I can see better so I usually stamp on the weekends. Silly work gets in the way of stamping during the week! I like to browse around to see what others make but I never leave comments...too much effort to do because I like lots of cards. I will pin cards I like for the stamps used, colors, designs. I get lots of ideas here. I love to "enable" by sharing stamp or website suggestions!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2014, 09:12 PM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

I love to check out other people's work - when I can. I work full-time at a fairly stress filled job that requires meticulous care given to financial details a job that requires I work long hours. I come home and want to RELAX and CREATE. I don't care what brand paper I'm using. I use scraps of this, and bits of that and come up with some beautiful art. When I did post pictures in the gallery (a long time ago), people often got snippy because I didn't list each product I used. When I look at the galleries I don't care what products they used. I may fool around with a similar style, or use their card as jumping off point for my own creativity - but this hobby isn't about creating identical cards! I stopped posting in the gallery because it took all the fun out of "playing" with the paper and bling. I chose this hobby to relax - not get hung up on more details. If I want details, Ill stay at the office. LOL :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2014, 10:21 PM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddy'smamaView Post

Do we have the same friend? ROFL! I kind of brought this up last week or maybe two weeks ago on a different thread. I don't post my work here because I am mainly a scrapbooker and art journaler. I have been for many, many, many years. I had a friend also tell me about the negatives of this site and being a scrapbooker. She warned me not to post my work here because it would get the evil eye. You know I am explaining this a lot better in this post than I did in the last post, lol. I was cool with that. I do get it about what members of a forum want to see in their galleries. I have run forums too.

I left the galleries alone and just posted. I lost my little girl several years back. In the past sixteen months we lost our son and a dear friend. I can't believe I can finally type I lost my son. I haven't told anyone because it's been hard on me and my husband. I don't want condolences or things. I can't handle it again. The first time was hard enough.

When we lost our daughter I stopped scrapbooking. I started stamping. My stamping work was pretty dark subjects. I was in a horrible dark depressing time. I didn't want to upload that kind of work. There's my reason.

My husband and I bought a home in the last year. We adopted a dog who has become like my whole life, lol. I am back to scrapbooking, my first love. I realized this year I am not a stamper. Don't get me wrong. I love to stamp. I don't love to stamp like as a focal point. I am more of an embellishment stamper. I like books. I like to make books, write books, read books, document things. I am a researcher in my real life. I am happily back to that. I don't know if I will share work here since it's not stamping related but I am more confident at posting to scrapbooking galleries. I think there is one here. I need to look.

To my friends about my son. Don't be mad at me for not saying anything. Thank you to my friends who knew and kept my privacy about it. I don't want to explain. I wanted to mourn quietly. I can't handle words of comfort or advice.

Last edited by lylacfey; 05-01-2014 at 10:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2014, 11:58 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

At first I loved uploading, because I didn't have many people in real life to show my cards to. It was fun and I had time. I got in the habit of sending cards to my sister's kids on a regular, pretty frequent basis. It was still easy to upload cards when she only had two kids, and even when she had three kids. Now she's got four kids, and I've got more co-workers whom I know like to see the cards I make, so I don't upload as much. So I guess the combination of less time and more real-life comments on my cards is why I don't upload like I used to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2014, 01:31 AM   #34  
jcg
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to post my cards, but then I deleted them all because I didn't think they were good enough. Some people are so great, I just didn't feel I could match up to them. I really enjoy the CAS Favorites on Sunday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2014, 02:45 AM   #35  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcgView Post
I used to post my cards, but then I deleted them all because I didn't think they were good enough. Some people are so great, I just didn't feel I could match up to them. I really enjoy the CAS Favorites on Sunday.
I was worried about mine not being good enough too, but now I'm so glad I posted them all because I can see how far I've come. Also, I've learned that what I might not like, someone else loves! Our tastes are all different and that's what makes it so much fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2014, 03:21 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

I said it already once - I'm saying it AGAIN: Do NOT let fear of "not good enough" keep you from posting! My first cards were awful, too, but how do you know how far you've come if you can't see where you've been? I feel the same way about deleting my old, not-great cards as I do about cutting my ex-husband out of family pictures - it's part of my story, so why would I do that? Oh yeah - I wouldn't...

DeeAnn - I'm so glad that you're back to doing things that you enjoy!

Louise - you should still post pictures. Just state in the description part that you don't know or care where your supplies came from... There - bud nipped!

This has been a great thread to read - thanks so much for the input, everyone!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2014, 04:02 AM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Louise - you should still post pictures. Just state in the description part that you don't know or care where your supplies came from... There - bud nipped!
Thanks. I think I needed to hear that. LOL Maybe I'll take a little time this weekend to take some pics and upload them. Thanks for being an encourager. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2014, 04:16 AM   #38  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ldumont999View Post
Thanks. I think I needed to hear that. LOL Maybe I'll take a little time this weekend to take some pics and upload them. Thanks for being an encourager. ;)
Would you be willing to share info if people pm you? Sometimes I see a die or paper and would love to know where to get it. That's the reason I love information with a card. But if people don't post that, its totally OK. I just send a pm and ask.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2014, 05:11 AM   #39  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
Would you be willing to share info if people pm you? Sometimes I see a die or paper and would love to know where to get it. That's the reason I love information with a card. But if people don't post that, its totally OK. I just send a pm and ask.
Its not that I mind sharing that info - its that I usually don't KNOW what it is. I am blessed to have tons of paper. I keep most scraps (one bin for each color) and try to work with the scraps to create cards - which are obviously smaller than scrapbook pages. So I don't know what the manufacturer is of most paper. I usually list the inks & markers because I only use copic markers and compatible inks. I have dozens of embossing folders by various manufacturers. Cuttlebug folders have the manufacturers stamp on the - but others don't. Sure, if someone asked I'd tell them what I know - but most of the time I just DON'T know. I think that is what frustrates me. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2014, 05:20 AM   #40  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been a member of several online sites and love sharing what I've made but it is time consuming. Sometimes I think I should pack up my newish Cannon and start taking pics with my point and shoot again, it was easier but that is my fault because I haven't sat down and studied the how to's of it. If I could figure out a way to take good pics that are pre-sized pics with the watermark already on them when I uploaded to my computer I would be a very happy stamper-uploader.

I used to type long how-to's for every upload along with exact supply lists, I don't do that now. It is time consuming and my supplies/stamps are rarely new anyway. We don't have the $$$ for that anymore. If someone wanted more info I would happily give it in a PM and have before. I have yet to have someone be ugly because I didn't give detailed info, so don't let that stop you from uploading.

Quote:

amen!! cracked me up!!

I am always amazed at the cards that get an occasional comment and the ones that I think are awesome that hardly even get looked at, let alone commented on. I would much rather have a heartfelt comment or none at all than someone who goes thru galleries trying to leave comments for "everyone". While they may have meant what they said as nice; since it was done in a hurry it sometimes comes out wrong and leave me with a negative vibe. I try to not let those bother me but since comments are so rare to begin with, it can be hard.

oh! and yeah I forget pics until it's too late a lot of the time too, lol...
Reply With Quote Likes