Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-06-2015, 01:19 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Favorite Patterned Paper

Hi, I hope this is an okay place to post this. I am wondering what people's favorite patterned papers are, either by brand or more specifically. I do not live near a crafts shop and find it hard to really see online what things look like. Do people favor brands or just pick by the particular papers? I love so many, but there are always some in any pack that I do not care for.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2015, 02:24 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I haven't bought in several years and am currently aiming to use up what I have, and I have enough for a few lifetimes. But when I do look online, I find myself attracted to the same designers/manufacturers.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd mainly purchase monthly kits where all the papers, cardstock and embellishments are all coordinated. I prefer the hodgepodge of mixing different lines versus keeping within the same release from the same line.

Else, I agree with you, it's difficult to shop. I'm lucky in that I live in an area where there used to be lots of brick and mortar stores in addition to tons of big box retail shops. Needless to say, I ended up buying a lot of stuff I liked, would use one day for that most amazing project that I hadn't conceptualized yet that's still laying around.

But what I've personally used up are those items I received in a coordinated kit from the various monthly kit clubs. I mainly purchased from scrapbook layout centric kits, but today, if I were to purchase again, the Simon Says Stamps monthly kits look amazing. I'm also thrilled that Studio Calico is still around as I used to sub to them many years back.

I'm sure there are many monthly kits to choose from. I think you'd have to take a look at them to see which style appeals to you and what fits in your budget. Many of them have a month to month subscription rather than one that locks you into a specific time period.

I usually used to pay attention to releases by particular mfg companies and then either purchase the entire line or buy monthly kits that featured those recent lines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2015, 02:44 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love the studio calico paper . But I am also cheap so I buy it only when I see it at Tuesday morning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2015, 02:45 PM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks so much! Your feedback is helpful. You really sound "up" on things crafty.
You are amazing, to, to donate that many cards to the troops .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2015, 02:45 PM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

Had not thought of Tuesday Morning. Will have to check that out...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2015, 02:58 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Have you checked into the paper packs at the big box retail shops? You can get them using the 40% off coupons, and can further cut costs by splitting the packs with friends? Often times, there are multiples of the same design per pack. My friends and I used to do that too in the past.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2015, 03:29 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 297 Likes on 115 Posts

If you're mainly a card maker (as opposed to also doing scrapbooks), then the 6" x 6" paper packs would be an economical choice - especially with a coupon. There are also 4 1/2" x 6 1/2" mat packs that work well for cards. The patterns are also scaled down so they are more appropriate for cards. I really like My Mind's Eye. Basic Grey has nice papers from time to time (Urban Prairie is still one of my all-time faves), and I have several Christmas packs from The Paper Studio that I love. Stampin'Up! is offering the smaller stacks now, as well.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2015, 06:15 PM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

I like Prisma cardstock. I find that cuts nicely on my Cricut and has just a little bt of texture.
I love dots and find them so versatile for my cards and my scrapbook pages. The BoBunny Double Dots are my addiction.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm making more mini books and find that using a paper stack by one company makes coordination very easy. I just ordered two 6 x 6 paper stacks by Basic Grey that were on sale at scrapbook.com – there are many different colors in each of the stacks but they're generally subtle/shabby/vintage colors in bold graphic designs which I really love. I think it's easiest to pick the style, and then look for the colors you like.

There are so many single sheets that I love but it makes me crazy when I get 487 search results to sort through! So I don't usually go that route. I find the pads are usually better value anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2015, 06:41 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Don't forget craft garage sales. I google Craigslist, my city and then in the search box, type in arts and crafts, or paper, or Creative Memories, or scrapbook, or Stampin Up, etc. etc. and then you'll get the garage sales where many people (not always demos) are getting rid of things. Was at one recently where Stampin Up DSP (designer paper) was $1 for a full, unopened pak. I always like paper better when the price is right! Lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2015, 10:13 PM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 651 Posts

I don't think I have a favourite brand although Graphic 45 has wonderful designs. I generally am just attracted to what appeals regardless of what brand it is. I really like the 6 x 6 Bo Bunny Very Vintage Double Dot designs paper pad that I bought last summer. Like the rest of you, I have more than enough paper and am trying to use what I have before succumbing to buying more right now.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2015, 10:45 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I do buy paper pads occasionally but find they're a false economy, on balance, as there are always papers I don't like and/or struggle to use. I buy individual 12 x 12 sheets online periodically, usually trawling through a website's offering and putting anything I like into my basket then going through that afterwards to narrow down my choice.

I can get 6 full card fronts from each one, so I've learnt that one piece if paper per design is more than enough :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2015, 11:16 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I try not to purchase any more paper - I have a life time's worth.

I do tend to purchase solid color stocks in brights and pastels, and it always seems to coordinate with the DSP I have. In the future, I will not purchase DSP like I used to. I also use the solid paper to do die cut images, or copic applications.

I won't buy paper unless it's on deep sale now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2015, 03:37 PM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks to you all for giving me input and suggestions. I could spend oh so much but really really cannot let myself go wild. I have three 6 by 6 packs that I have barely touched. I was also thinking regarding Christmas time that I could use some small holiday stamps and make my own patterned paper. I saw a cool K Werner tutorial that used a stamp much like one I own. It is not even Christmas-y per se but in gold it created a great image. For me part of the fun is being creative in finding and utilizing supplies.
Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2015, 04:16 PM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

I really like Echo Park, Doodlebug Designs, and Bella Blvd. Since I'm also a scrapbooker, they do double duty for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2015, 09:33 AM   #16  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Designer paper is such a personal preference thing, but for what it's worth, my absolute favorite is My Mind's Eye. I have loved almost every single paper collection for the last 6 years!
Reply With Quote Likes