Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-06-2005, 09:37 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extra Postage on Cards

I was really surprised today as I went to the PO to have one of the cards I made over the weekend weighed. I thought that "possibly" it might need more the 37 cents because I used a little more cs than usually and a ribbon. Well it was 49 cents. I wasn't too surprised by that but was also mailing another card where I put on the 37 cent stamp. I thought while I was at the PO I would, just for curiosity,have that one checked and to my surprise she said that was 49 cents also. I couldn't believe it because the only thing for embellishments I used on that were the brad and ribbon so it was a little bumpy. I'm wondering what happened to all the cards I've sent in the past that had embellishments and I just put on the 37 cents. Another thing is I sell my cards and my customers are probably just presuming that they only need to put one stamp on them. Carol
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2005, 09:58 AM   #2  
Ms. Brightside

Location: On the verge of greatness and the brink of insanity!

Hi Carol...I've gotten to where I just always use 2 (37c) stamps every time I send out a card I've made, just to ensure that it gets there. The post office gal told me that anything "bulky" will need extra postage. So, the only time I use one 37 cent stamp is when I have a card with layers and no embellishments.

I have started telling my customers that it's best to add two stamps so that it doesn't end up lost somewhere. I haven't had anyone really complain about this. I think many people accept that a "nicer" handmade card that you put the extra effort into is worth the extra change.

I don't really stamp much. I'm just here for the company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2005, 10:32 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Actually - I have received a few cards that I had to pay the extra postage on (I do not mind at all just sharing) so after the first couple I asked the po clerk and she said it was not the weight but that they were in clear envelopes...they have to be hand processed and that costs extra! I was shocked!

SO for those of you that send cards in clear envelopes or a different shaped card, even square, you should check the price of postage as it may be more than the 37cents.

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2005, 10:36 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Default Clear Envelopes

This topic on clear envelopes has been discussed many times on here and also the SU website and everyone says something different about it. I live in CT and I have asked a few PO here and they said the complete opposite. They say that it's easier for them when something has like an eyelet because they can see it and they will not put if through the machine. They said there was no extra postage. I have mailed tons of cards in clear envelopes and have never had a problem. Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2005, 10:44 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

You can look up information on the USPS website. Anything that has to be hand processed takes extra postage. For instance, square envelopes instead of rectangular -- because a machine can't tell which way is up.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2005, 10:48 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use clear envelopes a lot and have never had to pay extra postage for them. I've also never had to pay extra postage for any card I've made regardless of the weight of the embellishments... I have, however, had to pay extra for cards that cannot bend easily as that means they will jam/rip in the automatic feeder machine and have to be hand sorted which then costs more....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2005, 11:09 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The clear envelope thing depends on your post office. The two closest to me didn't make me add extra postage when I asked about them. -Which I did before hand because I was going to mail out 150 Christmas cards in them.

As far as extra postage. I've only had one card come back to me for extra postage because it was lumpy. I even sent out 2-3 of that same card and only 1 of them came back as needing more postage :0

Instead of putting 2 $0.37 stamps on cards you can buy $0.23 cents stamps which allow you a card up to 2 ounces for $0.60 and save you a little money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2005, 11:16 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I do not use clear envelopes I was refering to those that I have received.....so if you are sending cards in clear envelopes the receipiant maybe paying the postage and never saying a thing to you ;) I know I have received at least half a dozen and I have not (until now) said a word about it.....I never have said anything to the kind person/s sending the cards to me! (just food for thought)

As for embellishments and such - None of the cards I have made never weigh more than what a 37cent stamp covers.

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2005, 02:51 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

On purpose I don't make "odd" shaped cards.
All of mine fit in an invitation size envelope (a piece of cardstock cut in half - width ways for regular cards, length ways for pocket cards).
I put tape over any bumpy bits (brads or eyelets) on the envelope so it doesn't rip.

I'll have to ask people I've sent cards to if they've had a problem, no one's mentioned anything. And I've never had any returned to me. I have put 2 stamps on if it's felt a bit heavier to me but not on every card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2005, 05:17 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Postage

Technically, the clear envies, and anything over a certain thickness have to be hand sorted so they are supposed to charge the extra .12 (or whatever it is). But it really does depend on the post office. I've taken my clear envies in to the post office closest to me and they don't charge extra. But if I take them to one further up the road they do charge extra. And I assume if the receiving post office on the other end wanted to...they could then charge the receiver even though my post office didn't charge me. I usually add extra postage just to be sure. Although, as a consultant, I've received LOTS of cards in the clear envies and have never had to pay postage (and they only put one stamp on them). But maybe that's because my local PO is so nice to begin with!

Jane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2005, 06:39 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Interesting how inconsistent the PO's are. I just checked I recieved a card in a clear envie this past weekend, it was a single layer card post card style, with a metal paper clip embellishment a piece of raffia a small additional piece of CS and another addtional piece of CS glued to the other side. The card had $0.37 on it and no additional was asked for.

K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2005, 06:41 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I've had the same problem. I brought one of my Christmas cards to the PO last year to make sure it was just going to take the one stamp. He said I'd need extra postage due to the bulk and having to hand cancel. Maybe you can get away with it now and then just sending one out of your mailbox, but if you take it in and ask, they will tell you to put extra postage on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2005, 06:48 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Default Postage on Cards

I think MommaJ hit it on the head! I have mailed out a ton of cards with embellishments like the ones I mailed out today and only put one stamp on it and never had a problem but today because I asked they made me put more postage. For now on if I think the weight is ok I'm just going to go and mail it without asking. Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2005, 07:22 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

I've had this thought nearly every time I've sent a card, be it in a cs or clear envie, thick or thin, regular-sized or square. I've decided to go to the PO and buy $0.50 stamps. They're not self-sticking (you have to lick 'em!), but I never have to think about whether or not there's enough postage. Takes a lot of the worry out of it for me, and I don't miss the extra $0.13.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2005, 08:11 PM   #15  
~~Triple S Threat~~

Ok gals... I work at the Post Office... It DOES NOT COST MORE TO SEND IN A CLEAR ENVELOPE! If you are paying extra and it is not over the 1/4 inch or 1 ounce then you are getting over charged. The postal clerk should have a tool that she/he can slide your card into to measure how thick it is... if it doesn't slide through easily then it is too big and you will need to pay the extra.

If you card is bulky... OVER 1/4 inch then it will cost and extra .12 cents, unless if is over 1 ounce then it is .23 cents. Also the square envelopes do cost more... it should be .12 cents. Sorry right now I don't know the exact measurement. I usually just use the chart.

If in doubt go to USPS.com

Last edited by Farmwife; 09-06-2005 at 08:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2005, 09:04 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

i'd like to add....if you PO is fussy and wants .49 cents for the clear envelopes, do not use the .50 cent stamps!!!!!!!!! the stamps you have to lick will not stick(they will at first but they will fall off and get sent back)!!!!! only self adhesive stamps stamps work. my clear envelopes alway get returned for more postage if i only use a .37 stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2005, 04:05 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

I always add an extra 12 cents when I mail a card with eyelets, brads or ribbon. It's funny... sometimes it goes thru without the extra 12 cents and sometimes it doesn't. So, just to be safe and have peace of mind, I put it on.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2005, 06:00 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

How silly am I? I have never considered using JUST the clear envelopes. I have used them inside to protect the card and then put them in another envelope. I tend to aonly use them if I think there is a chance that the card may get wet (rain or snow) and then smear.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:11 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Ran in to the clear envie issue around Mother's Day. Sent my mom, MIL, and grandmother cards in clear envies. My MIL called to thank me for the card but she had to pay $.12 postage due, whoops. That was the first time I had that issue and I'd sent cards to her in clear envies w/just $.37 before too. Go figure it was my MIL's card. lol

My post office has never said anything about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2005, 06:12 PM   #20  
Glitter Guru

What I did is I went to Office Max and bought a $10 Scale and weigh things myself. I also buy my stamps at USPS.com cause its so convenient. Now I rarely have to go to the PO. If a card is over 1/4 inch in height then you need to put an extra .23 no matter the weigh cause it doesn't fit thru their machine is the explanation I got.... That Scale is so worth it...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2005, 06:13 PM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

Default Clear Envelopes

If using the clear envelopes I put the address I am sending it to and also the return address on a piece of white paper and put it inside the envelope. The stamp has to go on the outside of the envelope to be cancelled. Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2005, 06:16 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have also been charged extra for the clear envies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2005, 06:25 PM   #23  
Mad Swapper

The postal people at my local post office start frowning when they see me coming with my cards and clear envelopes..........truly, they do! For some reason, they do not like my cards because they are a little different from the usual mail. I always ask them kindly to weigh my cards and put the metered postage on the outside of the envelope. Never have I complained because the postage is always higher. It has really made me sensitive to their comments, and now I have my husband take them to the post office to mail. I am confused as to why these cards "bother" them if I am paying extra postage, having them weigh them and tell me the exact amount, telling them to hand cancel the cards, and trying to be a responsible customer. It is not my intent to hurt anyone's feelings if a member here works for the US Postal Service......this is just my own personal experience with trying to mail my cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2005, 06:42 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

When i have mailed cards, i was told that even if it doesnt weigh more, its the shape of the envelope. (never mailed a in clear envelope) Only when i go tot he PO do i have to get the extra postage, when i have stamps and mail form home, i havent had any come back, so far no one has said they had to pay postage due....i might have to ask.

Copied form USPS website

Envelope
Use for envelopes with the dimensions below.
Dimension Minimum Maximum
Height 3-1/2 inches 6-1/8 inches
Length 5 inches 11-1/2 inches
Thickness 0.007 inch 1/4 inch

Any item smaller than the minimum dimensions is not mailable.
For larger items, see Large Envelope or Package.
For envelopes, length is the dimension parallel to the address.

First-Class Letter Nonmachinable Surcharge:

First-Class envelopes weighing 1 ounce or less require an additional $0.12 nonmachinable surcharge if any one of the following apply:

It is a square letter **my cards
It contains very rigid items such as wood or metal
It has clasps, string, buttons, or similar closure devices
It has an address parallel to the shorter dimension of the letter
It contains items such as pens that cause the surface to be uneven
The length divided by height is less than 1.3 or more than 2.5 (calculate this below)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2005, 07:14 PM   #25  
ncs
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by instcollector
The postal people at my local post office start frowning when they see me coming with my cards and clear envelopes..........truly, they do! For some reason, they do not like my cards because they are a little different from the usual mail. I always ask them kindly to weigh my cards and put the metered postage on the outside of the envelope. Never have I complained because the postage is always higher. It has really made me sensitive to their comments, and now I have my husband take them to the post office to mail. I am confused as to why these cards "bother" them if I am paying extra postage, having them weigh them and tell me the exact amount, telling them to hand cancel the cards, and trying to be a responsible customer. It is not my intent to hurt anyone's feelings if a member here works for the US Postal Service......this is just my own personal experience with trying to mail my cards.
You took the words right out of my mouth. Ditto here.

When I took my fourth of July cards in, they were in clear envelopes and were embellished with one tiny ribbon, which was thin and almost completely flat. I asked if they would require extra postage. The clerk huffed at the other clerk and said "This will be a problem, won't it." They both acted like I was a total bother. Took the joy right out of the final step in getting my cards to my loved ones. I'll have to see if they have that little "thickness" measuring device next time.

In the catalog, it says in fine print that the clear envelopes require extra postage. Sounds like there is inconsistency office to office. I guess we should just heed the warning and get them checked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2005, 09:22 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Straight from USPS.com

Use for envelopes with the dimensions below.
Dimension Minimum Maximum
Height 3-1/2 inches 6-1/8 inches
Length 5 inches 11-1/2 inches
Thickness 0.007 inch 1/4 inch

Any item smaller than the minimum dimensions is not mailable.
For larger items, see Large Envelope or Package.
For envelopes, length is the dimension parallel to the address.

First-Class Letter Nonmachinable Surcharge:

First-Class envelopes weighing 1 ounce or less require an additional $0.12 nonmachinable surcharge if any one of the following apply:

It is a square letter
It contains very rigid items such as wood or metal
It has clasps, string, buttons, or similar closure devices
It has an address parallel to the shorter dimension of the letter
It contains items such as pens that cause the surface to be uneven
The length divided by height is less than 1.3 or more than 2.5 (calculate this below
Reply With Quote Likes