Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-14-2020, 06:14 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Evernote - Any good alternatives??

I have used Evernote (free version) for many years now to keep track of what stamp sets I had, what dies, punches, sentiments, etc. If I was looking for something non-specific--a basket, for instance, but not sure exactly what type of basket, I could search all of my Evernote to find anything with basket in the title, the note, tags or even the picture or if I knew what notebook it was in, I could search in that particular notebook.

Recent upgrades have made it very frustrating to use this program. I understand I'm using it more as a database and not using it for "productivity."

But is it really too much to ask of Evernote to keep that functionality? Am I asking too much??

I am now forced with trying to find another program that will do what I need to have Evernote do--to keep track of things for me.

If it's necessary to pay a small amount yearly, that's fine. Evernote is, I believe, approximately $8/month or $96/year--too much to pay for something like this.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2020, 02:44 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have a Windows based system, that has an app called One Note. Very similar to Evernote, but I prefer it. Free app, not sure if there is a size limit to that, but sure you can buy an upgrade if needed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2020, 04:59 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,125 Likes on 507 Posts

I'm not sure what I missed - I haven't noticed any difference in functionality on Evernote at all. I have the mid-range subscription (Evernote Plus) which is $35/year.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2020, 06:41 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Another option to look into is AirTable. There is a discussion about it HERE.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2020, 11:53 AM   #5  
Chat Box Hippy Chick

Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

I agree Air Table is awesome, I dabbled a little in evernote, didn't like it so got airtable - LOVE IT

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2020, 01:55 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 511 Likes on 229 Posts

I also use AirTable.  Definitely a database, but one that you can search any way that you want.  I know they set it up as productivity in a business, but it works great for our inventories!

I checked out Evernote and OneNote and was not at all impressed with either.  Too much instruction for uses I wouldn't use, and not enough for just inventory use.  I probably didn't give them a chance, but I wasn't looking to end my paper inventory.  Still am not!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2020, 03:30 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m really liking Color My Life. It is $14.99/ year. It’s created for crafters. You can get it for a free trial...14 days I think? 
I’m switching from Evernote to this. There is no direct way to transfer your stuff (yet) but it’s not too hard to set up.
Some of my stamps are in their database when I use the search function.My older SU sets aren’t in there but I still have the photos in my iPad from setting up Evernote so I just create a new item in Color My Life.

Last edited by cobby; 10-21-2020 at 03:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2020, 04:43 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I also use Color My Life and love it. It’s easy to input data, sort info, and keep “projects” so I can remember my favorite ink combos or cards I might want to make in the future. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2020, 07:55 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paper JunkyView Post
...But is it really too much to ask of Evernote to keep that functionality? Am I asking too much??

I just wanted to let you know that, NO, it isn't too much to ask for, and you're not alone.  I'm in exactly the same boat - I've been using Evernote for all sorts of things (including a crafty supply inventory), for quite some time.  I have over 3000 notes, and I've been using the paid version.  And I'm ready to give it up.  Frustrated isn't even the word.  It's as if they totally don't understand what they have done, and they don't care.  Maybe the new version has some nice features... but NOT the features that I want, you know?  They could have kept the old version running indefinitely, while offering the OPTION of the new one, you know?

Anyway, I've been playing around with lots of different options.  Right now, I'm leaning towards OneNote.  I'm already paying for MS Office, so I might as well get as much out of it as I can.  I don't expect Microsoft to up and abandon us any time soon.  Everything I do will be stored on the cloud, available from any/all devices... no limits.  And no charge (above what I already paid / am paying for Office.) 

And last but definitely not least:  by downloading "Evernote Legacy" (a short-term "sorta" answer from EN, to hold us over temporarily), I was able to import all of my notes into OneNote.  Now, it's made a mess of my organization.  But the notes are all there.  I'm having to do a lot of moving around, and there's a bit of a learning curve... but this still has to be quicker and easier than "starting from scratch".

But I will say that, if all you want is to inventory your stamps and dies, and you don't have enough to open your own stamp store (ummm... I might be guilty of that ), then Airtable is a wonderful option.  I just can't see using it for "everything", and if I can't work with their limits, the cost for the upgrade is way too much.  I love how it works, how it looks - it's easy to learn and customize... but I can't find any way to import what I already have into it.

Hopefully this was all helpful to someone.  (According to the Evernote forums, we are NOT alone.)  Good luck finding something that works for you!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2020, 09:13 AM   #10  

What am I missing? I don't think my Evernote changed. I'm on desktop.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2020, 09:24 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post

They have been working on a new version for a while, and had released a Beta... but recently, they sort of "forced" an upgrade.  At least, I don't remember than "asking".  The software just "updated itself" on my computer. This new version (10.2 or something?) is REALLY different... but I'm probably not techie enough to explain the differences.  A lot of people just don't like it, myself included.  Tags are totally different... difficult to find.  It's more stripped down, "uglier", not as many choices for changing the appearance.

But like anything, it depends on how you use it.  If it still works for you, great! 

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2020, 12:00 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I haven’t noticed a change. I have always used Evernote on my iPad or IPhone.
It has just never worked as well as I wanted it to for keeping track of my stamps and being able to accurately search by tags I created.
I originally paid for it so I could add as much as I wanted when I had time to work on it. Now I’m on the free version. But something as basic as the tag “Christmas”  will not always bring up all the sets with that tag; and often I get a few that come up without that tag. Birthday sets will come up as well.

I’ve never even tried to add my dies or embossing folders. The search was too hit or miss for me.

I have a few other notes in Evernote that aren’t craft related. But I’m really liking Color My Life for craft stuff. Besides adding tags, you can enter the manufacturer ( if it’s already in their database it will automatically enter the retail price too, which comes in handy for insurance purposes), storage location and you can specify “stamp” or “stamp and die set” and a few other choices.
This app will also let you enter all your inks and DP. And with those items you can assign major colors and be able to search by those if you want.

Since I really wanted a way to keep track of my craft supplies I’m very happy so far with Color My Life.
( no I am not affiliated with them in any way...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2020, 01:34 PM   #13  

Ohhh, looking into this now. I have version 6.25 on my desktop. Sounds like I should stick with that one.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2020, 02:29 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Ohhh, looking into this now. I have version 6.25 on my desktop. Sounds like I should stick with that one.

If it will let you, yes, that's what I would do.  Or check out the Evernote forums to see what the more "techie" people are saying.  (I'm not exactly an expert, LOL.) 

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2020, 04:06 PM   #15  

I read that you can run both the old and new versions together, but the new version needs Windows 10, and I am running on 8.1. 
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2020, 06:23 AM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Coming back to add that I opened Evernote app on my phone since my last post and sure enough....it updated itself to this new version everyone is talking about. Same with my iPad, suddenly the new version is just “there”. 
I don’t like it. So glad I am converting to Color My Life.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2020, 07:25 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Red face

Quote:

Originally Posted by BashfulStamperView Post

I just wanted to let you know that, NO, it isn't too much to ask for, and you're not alone.  I'm in exactly the same boat - I've been using Evernote for all sorts of things (including a crafty supply inventory), for quite some time.  I have over 3000 notes ... I'm ready to give it up.  Frustrated isn't even the word.  It's as if they totally don't understand what they have done, and they don't care.  Maybe the new version has some nice features... but NOT the features that I want, you know?  They could have kept the old version running indefinitely, while offering the OPTION of the new one, you know?
But I will say that, if all you want is to inventory your stamps and dies, and you don't have enough to open your own stamp store (ummm... I might be guilty of that ), 
Hopefully this was all helpful to someone.  (According to the Evernote forums, we are NOT alone.)  Good luck finding something that works for you!

The first paragraph said it all--"It's as if they totally don't understand what they have done, and they don't care."

I truly cannot find half the stuff I could before yet they say the search part is better.  I can't search "within" a single notebook--how can that be better?!!

And, BTW, I probably could open my own stamp store (yes, guilty of that as well.

Your message has been very helpful.  Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2020, 07:41 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

It didn't give me a choice.  Just one day, it said "Here you go!"  Boom!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2020, 07:47 AM   #19  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paper JunkyView Post

It didn't give me a choice.  Just one day, it said "Here you go!"  Boom!

It's maybe because I'm running an older version of Windows? 
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2020, 08:05 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think Dina lucked out because she's running an old version of Windows.  I don't think the rest of us have a choice. 

(I'm glad my post helped.  Sometimes, it's just nice to know you're not alone.) 

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2020, 11:33 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

I was thinking of going to the paid version of Evernote but I think I might just ditch it and try something else. After I put ALL of my inventory in. And I do have a lot. Very disappointed. I am going to go try and find Color My Life.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2020, 08:52 PM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Off the beaten path

I feel odd posting this because I guess I’m not using anything close to what everyone else has described. I use a free app “What’s in my home?” I ignore the intended set up with the filters. Location = type of product; stamp, die, ink pad etc. Category = Co name. (For those I don’t know I tag as UK). I can always change it later if I figure it out.
Lists = all the terms I would use to sort that particular item. Floral, cat, belated, oversized, holiday etc. And add a photo. It works for me. The thing I don’t like is the photo has to be square but that’s minor.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2020, 02:38 PM   #23  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,919 Likes on 2,187 Posts

With today's technology I don't trust anything to stick around long so I entered my stuff in one note on the computer. I also have it in an Excel spreadsheet. Just copied from one to the other. But. Really I don't use the info so I quit doing anything. 

Last edited by muscrat; 11-19-2020 at 09:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2020, 03:17 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just started using Air Table and I LOVE it! It’s simple to use but does everything I need it to to organize my stuff.  It’s pretty intuitive which is good because I’m really not tech-y. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2021, 02:57 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Evernote Fan

I like Evernote and haven't had trouble using it. I feel it would be too much trouble to start with a new site.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2021, 08:00 PM   #26  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
With today's technology I don't trust anything to stick around long so I entered my stuff in one note on the computer. I also have it in an Excel spreadsheet. Just copied from one to the other. But. Really I don't use the info so I quit doing anything.
I like how you think, Kathy.
Many years ago, I started an alphabetical list of my stamp sets. Honestly, the reason was to be able to see if I owned a set, and to make sure I didn’t buy something twice.
That was on my old Mac. Somewhere along the way, I switched over to a PC and just quit making a list.
I also had a binder where I stamped every stamp in the set on a sheet of paper. Remember when we were all doing that? Then I started making a copy of the sticker sheet for my notebook. I eventually quit that as well. Stampin Up has the pictures now on the front (and on the spine, but they’re too small for my eyes to see).
I think I started at one point with “These are My Stamps”, but quit.
Just not doing it anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2021, 08:21 AM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 667 Likes on 419 Posts

So, I am running windows 10, and I did allow the new verision to upload to my house lap top. and it seems that they are adding "fixes" to it all the time. the thing for searching seems to be it wants you to use the "filters" if you click that, and start typing it starts showing you a list of your tags you have created so, if you start typing TAG eventually ( well its short so quickly) that appears, if you click on that TAG it will then display all the items you gave the keyword TAG to.

on my work computer, I did not allow it to download the new version yet because, it really frustrated me when I had to learn to work around this new and visually modern version
I actually think the old version is easier on my eyes.

I do have the paid subscription that is about 35.00 a year and I have over 6K items in all the note books so far, (and I am still adding to it) So for me, I think I want to stick with this rather than start from scratch from something else. I have heard a lot of good chatter about airtable but, I have not actually clicked on anything to play with it.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2021, 08:26 AM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

one of the things I have done with mine, is I have a very large collection of tools. so, I have started copy/paste photos of things I created to each tool to show to my self I really do use these things more than I think I do...

the hard part for me is the new version does not allow that, you have to save a photo to your computer to (if you start clicking on the note a blue circle with a white plus symbol shows up in the top left corner of the note it self, if you click that then you get a drop down menu of what you can add to the note and you can upload a photo to the note)

so, its a little more time consuming than a drop and drag thing using a snipping tool but, it does work. ( and it took me a while to figure that out)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2021, 08:33 PM   #29  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

So, since I wrote that, one of the "updates" now allows me to copy and paste photos into the notes again. ( so, its possible that all the other things that have gone wrong for you all are on the fix list too)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes