Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-14-2010, 08:36 AM   #81  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by troopersmaView Post
Once again, thanks to everyone.

I have done flylady off and on. I think I FINALLY have the cleaning the sink down. LOL. Last night a neighbor stopped by (hardly ever happens) and I hated the way the house looked. So today I spent most the day cleaning and folding laundry. At least the front two rooms are company presentable now. I'll work on the rest of it.

To Bubamara, I'm doing ok. I do see a counselor every 2 weeks. We've decided not to do any meds. As long as I can keep picking myself up she feels it is situational and not true depression. And she knows how I hate taking anything. And I've learned lots of skills over the years to pick myself back up by my bootstraps. I'll do fine. It's just tedious when you want to return to some degree of 'normal' but you can't because of things like your attorney dropping the ball, etc.

Tomorrow I am going to a quilting get together and then a general crafting one after that. I will probably take something stamping related to work on.
I am an off again on again flybaby too! I try, I really do try! She has great tips and remember, one of them is that you just do it 15 minutes at a time. I had situational depression a few times in my life, so I can identify.

Have fun at the quilting get together, sounds like just the outing you could use at this time!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2010, 04:05 PM   #82  
Sis
Insane Embellisher

Sweetheart I went through depression like this. Don't do one thing for at least six months. I am speaking from experience. I am so sorry your heartache is happening and life is never easy. If you want to do something start arranging things in your home and somehow your life starts to work too. We women tend to need to do this. I stayed still for much to long. Get busy enough your heart starts to beat again....it is a gift to yourself and you need it. Please post and let us know how you are doing as we tend to worry about those we love here....sincerely Sissy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2010, 11:59 AM   #83  
Rubber Obsessor

Wow!!! Know how you all feel. Will try and follow some of this advice when I get more time. TFS!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2010, 12:24 PM   #84  
Inking Addict

It is so fabulous to have such a lot of supporters for each other, and people who have experienced similar life changes, whatever they might be. But even though we're all very generous with our suggestions, keep in your heart to just do what you can do for the next 30 minutes, or whatever interval you choose. Sounds like your organizing and cleaning is going REALLY WELL!!! Many accolades for that. It would have taken me a year of Sundays to accomplish all that, and you have had no help. My organizer person said to just work on things for a short time. Which gives me permission to do just that. So smile to yourself, give yourself a smug pat on the back, and relax before you tackle the next thing. I hope it's sunny there where you live. Go sit outside for awhile, and just soak up the rejuvenating effects of sunlight, longer days, and vitamin D. Take care, we love you!
Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #85  
Cardstock Collector

Well, my train of thought is to organize yes, but don't get rid of your things. I think you should use all your supplies to help work through it. Just do something. Maybe make an art journal and write about your feelings. Try watching some how to videos on youtube.com. That inspires me. Good luck and hang in there. This to shall pass.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2010, 07:23 AM   #86  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Last night I made a couple cards. I posted one on my blog today and will post the other one in a few days (ya gotta stretch it out ya know! LOL). They aren't my best ever but I'm happy enough with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2010, 10:11 AM   #87  
Hardware Hotshot

This may sound crazy, and I don't mean it is healthy to always buy things rather than dealing with problems. However, in your situation , instead of chucking it all I would suggest you buy something you have been wanting for a while. But buy something you have to use now!

Buy a new Nestie set or one of those new gadget that makes brads . I forgot what it is called, but it starts with "I"-something . Or maybe some "Stampscapes that you will need to concentrate on how you put them together.

Make it something you can't wait to try. It will get you thinking about creative activities which will lift your spirits. Plus it will stop your mind from re-running over and over your situation.

Don't buy ribbon or paper for a stash

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 04-18-2010 at 10:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2010, 03:50 PM   #88  
Rubber Obsessor

troopersma: I'm glad to hear that you are still making cards.

ETA: Your not-your-best cards are darling!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2010, 11:56 PM   #89  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

troopersma- Darling cards. What's wrong with them? I thought they were so cute.

The I tool is the I-top. I do that all the time. It's that thingy. You know that thingy! My friends are like "Yeah, I know." Rolling eyes at me. The I-top also makes brads, buttons, pins and magnets. It's really cool. Won't see my chucking my I-top.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 05:07 AM   #90  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
troopersma- Darling cards. What's wrong with them? I thought they were so cute.
Agreed!

I don't want to know about this...I don't want to know about this...I don't want to know about this...;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2010, 06:54 PM   #91  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I think my mojo is back. I've finally made a couple cards I love for the first time in a long time. One is posted on my blog already. The other will be posted within a day or two...just to spread them out a bit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2010, 07:36 PM   #92  
Insane Embellisher

That's awesome! And a good feeling, I'm sure!

I have started 6 graduation cards (all of the same design though) that I think might actually be ok. So hey I might have a blog post soon too, lol!

I did go through my stamping area and packed up an entire big rubbermaid storage tote of stuff to get rid of. Really weeded things out! Unloved paper, ribbon, inks, stamps, etc. and even my toteally cool tote II! My space is cleared out and I just needed a tad bit more motivation to get going!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2010, 09:15 PM   #93  
Die Cut Diva

Great Advice!
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonnie in scView Post
Well, my train of thought is to organize yes, but don't get rid of your things. I think you should use all your supplies to help work through it. Just do something. Maybe make an art journal and write about your feelings. Try watching some how to videos on youtube.com. That inspires me. Good luck and hang in there. This to shall pass.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #94  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

I think my mojo is back. I've finally made a couple cards I love for the first time in a long time. One is posted on my blog already. The other will be posted within a day or two...just to spread them out a bit.
This is just stunning..Gorgeous layout and gorgeous colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2010, 04:05 AM   #95  
Inking Addict

CONGRATULATIONS!! Glad to hear it - you must be feeling better overall!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2010, 04:36 AM   #96  
Polyshrink Goddess

Glad you're feeling better! I love the quilt you're working on! I left you a comment on it. Hope you have a wonderful Mother's day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2010, 05:37 AM   #97  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Wow! You are very talented. Don't give up. Take baby steps. The stamping world would lose a real talent if you chuck everything.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2010, 10:49 AM   #98  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Wow! You are very talented. Don't give up. Take baby steps. The stamping world would lose a real talent if you chuck everything.
troopersma your card is lovely! xx jo xx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2010, 11:34 AM   #99  
Matboard Maniac

Default Ever thought of just chucking it?

Quote:

Thank you to all who have replied. I am sitting here crying while reading your supportive responses. I think I may wade through some of it and try to trade/sell some of the stuff I know I'm just not using that are 'hot' items right now. And donate some of my other stuff. But I will keep things I love. And hopefully that will get me down to a point where the stamping area is at least neat. It sits in my living room and I'm tired of looking at the mess and there is too much stuff for it not to be a mess. I did make a card last night.

I have been married 20 years (half my life) and there are two kids involved (9&12). He was an alcoholic for most of our marriage. He quit drinking about 5 years ago but he's still a 'dry drunk'. Life was all about him. He got angry at everything. He was controlling and manipulative. I do see a counselor - and we also tried marriage counseling. He wasn't making any changes and I wasn't willing to give up any more of 'me' so I filed. It should be final April 22nd. And he has gone back to drinking. He has refused to get a job. He lives with friends so can't take the kids. So he has them a total of 11 hours a week and I vacate the house so he can watch them here. I hate having him in my space but I also know the kids need to see him. So for now I make the sacrifice.

And to the person with the mini paper bags...that made me laugh! Too funny. :-)

Thanks everyone.
I've been both widowed and divorced. My boyfriend was just diagnosed with Lewy Body Dementia, a disease that will eventually kill him.
I'm rethinking what I did when my first DH died (we were 27) and when my ex left. I don't want to make any mistakes this time. I hung on to things when my DH died and wanted to get rid of everything associated with my ex. Now it really doesn't matter what I kept.
Keep counseling and try to detach "things" from your divorce. It's not easy but all your thoughts are muddled and, with work and time, they should be clearer. What do you like as opposed to what you associate with the marriage?
Give it some time. Pack it up and get it out of your sight if that helps but don't make any quick decisions. You have to live your life and it can be better than the past 20 years if you want to make it so.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2010, 05:26 PM   #100  
Rubber Obsessor

@troopersma: Your card is stunning. Love the colors and the mouse image is so cute.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2010, 09:09 PM   #101  
Stazon Splitcoast

What an interesting question. No one has ever actually asked me that, but when I saw your comment I felt I really wanted to respond. Yes, I have wanted to chuck this whole card making stuff many times. It's become much more expensive than I ever anticipated, and the cost factor has tempted me to call it quits. I did give it all up during Lent of last year, yet I found myself coming back all the time to leave comments.

Interestingly, I've always felt that card making was difficult for me. I know stampers that can create wonderous cards in an hour or less, yet mine can take 3 or 4 hours with an mess that takes another 4 hours to clean up and put away. I'm rather envious of that to be honest.

By trade, I am a therapist (now non-practicing), and I've long known people need to be messaged for something they've done or created. Knowing that need, I find myself spending hours in the gallery just leaving comments. I feel incredously compelled to comment on cards ~ not always because of how wonderful they are, but, rather, to congratulate a stamper on taking the time to create something they want to share with all of us. Thus, when I consider a basic human need, I realize I need to try and make someone happy by leaving, hopefully, supportive comments. Given that, I dont foresee just walking away all together. Moreover, it has really become a part of my life. Giving up something that makes me enjoy life more would be a most difficult task.
DO U KNOW?
BRAK members love to send SCSers cards on their birthdays? Come join us.

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there
is no path and leave a trail." ... Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2010, 10:13 PM   #102  
Glitter Guru

Location: My happy place - stampin' on the beautiful west coast of Canada

Quote:

Just checked out your creations - they all look great.

I hope your divorce is progressing and hope you are doing ok. I've been through one myself and it's tough.

I recently did a 'cleanse' of my stuff and donated a bunch to my girlfriend's preschool Felt good and will probably do it again soon.

I'm going through a tough time right now (unemployed for 3 months) and my stamping is my therapy right now. Keeps me sane. My mojo ebbs and flows...and I stick with it.

Hugs and good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2010, 05:05 AM   #103  
Inking Addict

I'm presently purging and donating my stuff to the Head Start program where my sister-in-law used to be director (she retired about a year ago, but still keeps in touch with them.) Having worked with Head Start many years ago in Northern Minnesota, I know how much donations are appreciated, because they have very little in funds for supplies. So, that kind of gives me "permission" to get rid of stuff; I keep thinking about how much money I've spent on my supplies, and it's REALLY hard to give them up, but knowing how much others will appreciate them puts a whole different spin on the whole thing. Now it's OK!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2010, 06:08 AM   #104  
Hardware Hotshot

I've been through a divorce too. While it's something I wanted it still has had it's ups and downs. It's been 10 years and I'm now engaged and very happy. You are overwhelmed right now...take care of yourself! Do what brings you happiness.

As far as the stamping...it can be expensive. It would be hard to replace on a single buget. It's taken me four years to build up my supply.

Take care, take care!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2010, 11:05 AM   #105  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Lately I've been considering the idea of just getting rid of all of my stamping/scrapbooking supplies. I'm tired of the mess and chaos that all of the supplies create. I've downsized multiple times to try and get it under control and yet there still always seems to be too much stuff. And I just don't use it very often any more. I started as a scrapbooker but I now haven't scrapbooked in probably 2+ years. I still do an occasional card. I've been published multiple times. So it isn't that I'm not good...it's just that my creative mojo has got up and left. It's like I can't come up with anything original. And there is so much crap everywhere. Oh...and I'm also in the midst of divorce and as such have been decluttering and not feeling overly creative any ways. But I'm afraid if I got rid of too much (or all of it) that I'd regret it later. Thoughts?
I hope you are feeling better now. I wanted to stop in and comment on this because I think it happens to all of us now and then. Some go with the overwhelming feelings and ditch it all only to regret it.
Glad you decided not to. I know that at any major life decision (moves, changes of jobs, etc) I have felt no mojo and a "why do i do this" feeling. It always passes.

Awhile ago, I stepped down from most of my design teams and responsibilities and now just craft for me again and it feels good to create things when i want to but not feel like i HAVE to do it. Sometimes I make a lot of things in one week, sometimes NOTHING!

I love checking out galleries and blogs when I dont feel like creating and having lots of time to do whatever!

I am hoping you are doing well and taking some time for yourself (doing whatever YOU feel like doing!)
Your cards are lovely and they will bring joy to many whenever you decide to share them. Hugs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2010, 06:01 PM   #106  
Matboard Maniac

Default Please wait and don't give up

I cannot speak for anyone else, but my divorce devastated me. It changes your whole life, no matter what the reason was for the divorce.

Your mojo will come back as soon as things settle down, which won't be any time soon.

Maybe at this time instead of trying for something original, get a cardmaking magazine or scrapbooking magazine out and just copy something that you like. I do that sometimes even now. I think for me it is the seeing an idea that gets me going and I may even change the design as I go.

So, if you can afford to hold on to the crafting, organize later when your head clears a bit, and don't hold yourself to "original" when you get going again you should be fine.

My heart goes out to you at this time as well.

Beaglelover
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2010, 09:50 PM   #107  
Stampin' Fool

Sometimes when I look at the chaos of the mess from my hobby I have and have to organize... and the obsessing I go through when I get ready to create something, I ask myself, why am I still doing this??? I have so much money I've invested in this and still find myself buying "stuff", however, when I do finally get the juices flowing and do create a card to send off to someone, I love the feeling of looking at that artwork when I've made it for the special person. And when I usually get that call, email or whatever thanking me for the "special" card, I know it made a difference to them. My son especially, always asks if I'm going to "make" a card to send them, and they live overseas, so I know for him they are always appreciated over a "store bought" card. Even though now it takes me so much longer to do, there is so much more gratification in doing it for me personally, not even really on the receiving end....... I really get the pleasure out of making it!!! It's fun to do some up to give as gifts as well. I'm now thinking of making them for the troops.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2010, 05:22 AM   #108  
Matboard Maniac

-And there is so much crap everywhere. Oh...and I'm also in the midst of divorce and as such have been decluttering and not feeling overly creative any ways. But I'm afraid if I got rid of too much (or all of it) that I'd regret it later. Thoughts?-

sepression is just about the worst thing i know about.i survived cancer twice now ,17 surgeries,was sick for almost 3 years and no diagnosis as to what was wrong,just vomiting all the time.stress from a house fire and dealing with insurance companies.
the one thing that has helped me survive is take time to appreciate not only the bloom of the rose but also the leaf.it helped me to channel my thoughts away from myself.it isnt easy and cannot be done overnight.good luck and you have taken a big step recognizing and talking about the problems.
br3n
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2010, 09:39 AM   #109  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Lately I've been considering the idea of just getting rid of all of my stamping/scrapbooking supplies. I'm tired of the mess and chaos that all of the supplies create. I've downsized multiple times to try and get it under control and yet there still always seems to be too much stuff. And I just don't use it very often any more. I started as a scrapbooker but I now haven't scrapbooked in probably 2+ years. I still do an occasional card. I've been published multiple times. So it isn't that I'm not good...it's just that my creative mojo has got up and left. It's like I can't come up with anything original. And there is so much crap everywhere. Oh...and I'm also in the midst of divorce and as such have been decluttering and not feeling overly creative any ways. But I'm afraid if I got rid of too much (or all of it) that I'd regret it later. Thoughts?
Just say this and thought I'd drop a line to see how you are doing ...
Reply With Quote Likes