Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-19-2014, 09:22 AM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Sometime ago I decided to look into challenges. I was in a mood one day to try them. But what I noticed was quite a few people did not follow the rules of these challenges I was looking into.

So, with random generators for picking winners, I was not willing to take a chance of a person NOT following the rules of the challenge winning.

The only challenges I am willing to play in are here on SCS. Just my thoughts.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2014, 09:42 AM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some challenge hosts are really good about making certain everyone follows the rules, but I agree - to win a challenge you HAVE to follow the rules.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2014, 04:40 PM   #43  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I know this thread is a few months old, but wanted to put in my two cents. I am one of the designers for the Color Throwdown challenge blog, and we started awhile back choosing a "winner" each week by random number, but only so that everyone entering has a chance to be chosen and recognized. We used to choose based on the design, etc. but found that we had many faithful participants who, while they were loyal and enthusiastic, they just weren't going to get picked. So we started doing random winners, and winning means that they get to join us for the challenge the following week as a Guest Star Stamper. So technically no prizes, except recognition but we do it that way to be fair.

I too get frustrated with people who join us and it's impossible to see the challenge colors in their design. We usually specify that "rainbows" aren't allowed... cards with every color of the rainbow don't count, and do get deleted. We say that the creation must use primarily only the challenge colors. And the ones that enter 20, 30, 40, 50+ challenges for one card... I just have to shake my head and move on. (But you can ask close friends and they'll testify... I do that with a great deal of difficulty!)

I know not what this day holds....but I know Who holds the day!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2014, 04:47 PM   #44  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You make a good point Tammy about the benefit of choosing a random "winner." That's a great way to acknowledge the participants.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2014, 05:02 PM   #45  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 247 Likes on 133 Posts

Random winners are fine if the "pot" they are chosen from have all entrees that follow the rules, with others weeded out beforehand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2014, 05:12 PM   #46  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think InLinkz.com lets challenge hosts remove those that don't comply. I have notice that the High Hopes Blog challenge they remove the entries that don't comply - must use a High Hopes stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2014, 06:23 PM   #47  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I can be pretty lenient, because we often say "it's not rocket science" and it's really just for the fun and creativity but if someone has very obviously entered a card with 12 colors, just because 3 of those colors are what are specified in the challenge (and sometimes that's a stretch, too!) and they've also entered a dozen other challenges, then sometimes they may find their entry gets zapped.

I know not what this day holds....but I know Who holds the day!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2014, 06:26 PM   #48  
Polyshrink Goddess

I always try to include as comprehensive a list as I can when I post something on my blog. From following other blogs I have become frustrated when I particularly like a particular product or technique and have no idea how to find the information to purchase said product
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2014, 07:46 PM   #49  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think it just depends. If it is a competition and there are prizes I would think one would have to follow the rules to be considered. If it is a challenge designed to get people creating and to inspire then I find that the perfect opportunity to explore and be as creative as possible even if it pushes the limits a bit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2014, 07:09 PM   #50  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,014 Likes on 868 Posts

I love to try different techniques, so really enjoy challenges- and they also make me think about adding different embellishments to my cards. I also love to look at all of the different interpretations of the challenge and the styles of the DT's.
I get to stamp 1-2 times a week and even if I am making DT cards, use the challenges to spark creativity, but try to limit challenges to more than 10 at a time.
One of my DT's uses Random.org to choose winners- I think that it is nice as everyone has a chance to win. Why should new stampers or just anyone NOT have a chance to win a challenge?
Great thread and food for thought too!

Shelly
Reply With Quote Likes