Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-16-2005, 03:00 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dumb Questions from a Newbie!

OK, you promised not to laugh, but I'm new at this stuff and completely self-taught, and I have a few questions for all you experts out there ...

1) When using a two-step stamp, which one do you stamp first? The detail/outline or the fill-in part? Does it even matter?

2) I've seen a lot of cards in the Gallery with ribbon running the full width of the card from left to right (not under a panel). How does this ribbon attach? Do you cut a slit in the crease and feed it through? I've seen lots of examples like this with a bow at the opening of the card. If you don't have a full circle of ribbon, how do you get the bow?

4) Is it possible to mail a card in the SU clear translucent envies? Is there a postal surcharge for it? How do you address it?

5) And lastly, since most of my cards have ribbon and can be a little lumpy, should I have them hand-cancelled? Or is it ok to go through the regular machine (which would be my preference, since a trip to the P.O. is not high on my priority list!)

Thanks so much in advance for all your help. I'm sure I'm going to have lots more questions, but I know I can learn so much from all of you.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2005, 03:18 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by works2hrd
1) When using a two-step stamp, which one do you stamp first? The detail/outline or the fill-in part? Does it even matter?

2) I've seen a lot of cards in the Gallery with ribbon running the full width of the card from left to right (not under a panel). How does this ribbon attach? Do you cut a slit in the crease and feed it through? I've seen lots of examples like this with a bow at the opening of the card. If you don't have a full circle of ribbon, how do you get the bow?
1. stamp the fill-in part first with a light color, then you will be able to see the detail(outline) & using a stamp-a-ma-jig really helps...

2. I'm not too sure, but I've used mini-glue dots to attach my ribbons (I don't do too much ribbon usage so I don't have too much experience)...

Don't know any answers for your other ??

Good luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2005, 08:42 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I think there is an extra charge for the vellum envelopes...not sure though.

I always just drop my cards in the mail...ribbons, embellishments and all...no problems so far.

I think some people do cut a slit in the fold of the card to thread the ribbon thru...I usually attach it on the matted layer(s)...saves ribbon, because you don't have to run it all the way around...hope that makes sense?!

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2005, 06:34 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess & DSS Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

vellum envies and square envies typically cost 12 cents more to send.

dawn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2005, 07:00 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Smile some tips

Regarding how to address the vellum or clear envelopes - I use the avery labels (buy them at office supply places). I print out my address labels and stick them to the envelope. I've never had a problem mailing them, although sometimes if my cards use organdy ribbon and the knot is a bit bulky, the USPS has actually had "postage due" to my friends! And it was 12 cents due! So from now on, I do have them hand-cancelled so I'm not embarressed again. What's weird is that I sent out 20 cards that were exactly the same and only 2 came to my friends postage due, so it's really up to your postal carrier on if he/she is a stickler, I think.

Regarding the ribbon - I'm not completely sure if I understand your question, but here's two different ways to attach ribbon other than just tying it around the entire card front (which wastes ribbon if you're doing a bunch of cards):
1) Make slits in the cardstock and tie it on the front. You can do it with an exacto knife or even with your paper trimmer (use the arrows to know exactly where you're cutting it). If you're just attaching it to the top, obviously a paper punch works too.
2) you can also take ribbon and put mono-adhesive or tacky tape underneath it to make it look like a ribbon is surrounding the card, even though it's just one piece on the outside only. It works great and doesn't peel off later. Glue dots aren't as effective for me.

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2005, 08:43 PM   #6  
Watercolor Wizard

I do cut a slit to run the ribbon through.

As far as the clear cellophane envies, I've gotten one in the mail in which my friend put my address/her address on the back of the card, so it was visible through the front of the envie.

B~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2005, 09:52 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

First, these aren't dumb questions, and if we all started out knowing everything, these forums wouldn't get used!

Two-step: I don't think it really matters which you do first. I tend to go lightest to darkest.

Ribbon: I use the Sticky Strip for ribbon and fibers a lot. You can put a piece on each end and it really holds well. As for bows, you can tie a knot and bow with a loose piece of ribbon and the end of your roll, then attach to your card and trim the ends.

Clear envelopes: I use these frequently and have not used extra postage and have not had any problems. (This may be due to nice postal people.) I do make sure I do the Hand Stamped stamp in tone on tone or Versamark and place it so it will not be in the way of the address. I've used Sharpies to address them, but now address it on the back of the card.

Thickness: I've not had problems, but then mine don't tend to be too thick.

Happy Stamping!

Katie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2005, 09:59 AM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your envelope is over a 1/4 inch thick there will be an extra charge.
The Xyron X is wonderful for ribbons and I do cut a slit in the crease.
Just tie the bow with your ribbon and attach with a glue dot
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2005, 12:12 PM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a lot of embellishments on my cards. I run an inexpensive piece of CS through my crimper and slip it into the envelope on top of the card's front. Most are still within the 1/4" limit, and the crimped CS protects the embellishments during mailing. That way they go through the automated cancelling machine without being damaged.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2005, 12:36 PM   #10  
~~Triple S Threat~~

Talking

Quote:

4) Is it possible to mail a card in the SU clear translucent envies? Is there a postal surcharge for it? How do you address it?

5) And lastly, since most of my cards have ribbon and can be a little lumpy, should I have them hand-cancelled? Or is it ok to go through the regular machine (which would be my preference, since a trip to the P.O. is not high on my priority list!)

1. I also use the fill in first with a lighter color. Works best for me.
2. If I run a ribbon left to right I cut a slit in the fold of the card. But most of my ribbon is top to bottom, no slit to cut and all the way around the card.
4. I use the clear envelopes all the time. I usually use address labels, making sure my handmade stamp on the back is to the left of the front. There is no surcharge for the clear envelopes... only if you are too bulky. The post office has a card with a slit, if your card doesn't fit thru it then you need to add the extra 12 cents. Or if you are using a big square envelope then you must use the extra 12 cents.
5. It depends on how bulky your envelope is on weather you need to have it hand cancelled or not. Ribbon shouldn't be a problem, but ya never know!!! Ok... did we go from 2 to 4? No number 3
Hope this helps

LOL... I work at the post office!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2005, 01:44 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Default Did you know???

Let me add one more thing I found out from my demo - if you're unsure if your card will be too bulky or if it needs to be hand-cancelled, you can check it out by using your paper trimmer. The ruler part that holds the blades has a slit that you can drop the card through. If the card falls through that ruler slit, it's fine - if it sticks or doesn't easily fall through - add 12 cents.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2005, 02:57 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Thumbs up

Crimping a piece of cardstock. What a great idea!!! Always worried about my cards getting squished. Thanx Happy Heart!!

Last edited by huggy; 08-18-2005 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: wanted it to follow a specific post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2005, 08:51 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Wow!

Thank you all so much! I'm learning lots every day that I'm here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2005, 02:12 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Gosh! I can't believe the stuff that I learn here! Love the paper cutter slit test.........and the crimped paper stuffing.............You all are amazing.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2005, 05:52 AM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

When I send cards in clear envies and the cards have embellishments on them, I add an additional .12 postage. I've had some returned when I don't add it. I've had some returned when there was the regular postage and NO embellishments. Go figure. I still send cards in clear envies w/out embellishments with just a .37 stamp.

As far as addressing the card in a clear envie... the best way that works for me is to take a piece of 8 1/2 x 11 computer paper, cut it into quarters like the size of a card front, address/return address it and slip it into the envie w/the card. That way, I don't have to mess with labels or address the back of the card. I've even set it up in my computer to print my return address 4x in the right spot and SCS RAK or whatever in the bottom corner 4x. Cut it up with the paper cutter, and voila... I just have to write in the sending address! I'd be happy to email you the document. Just send me a PM.

Good questions, by the way. I'm so ribbon challenged, so I really needed to read those answers!

C
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2005, 07:01 PM   #16  
Inking Addict

Smile

hey; there is no such thing as dumb questions, just dumb answers. And it's great to get all these cool and helpful ideas. What a wonderful group SCS is !!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2005, 09:46 AM   #17  
Embossing Fanatic

There are no dumb questions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2005, 11:46 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

5) And lastly, since most of my cards have ribbon and can be a little lumpy, should I have them hand-cancelled? Or is it ok to go through the regular machine
These are not dumb questions! I think they are quite logical (I wish I'd had this site when I started back in '96!)

1. I tend to stamp the thicker fill-in one first, but I don't think it matters.
2. I'll use sticky strip or double-sided tape to hold a ribbon on if it doesn't wrap around the card. (Often I'll cheat and wrap it around the card and knot it, hiding the knot under cardstock or other embellishment.)
4. can't help you here. .
5. I've mailed all sorts of cards in a regular, white (not clear) paper envelope without any problems. If I think it's too thick I'll throw another stamp on it before mailing it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2005, 06:46 AM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

Excellent idea with checking the thickness of your cards with the paper cutter,,, thanks,,,,

I have found that adding a small piece of bubble wrap over the embellishment inside the envelope helps too. The crimped cardstock sounds like a great idea too.

My post office told me to put a piece of clear packing tape over the area of an embellishment on the outside of the envelope and this will protect it and help it slide thru the machine. It also helps it from smooshing down around your embellishment. I have seen impressions of even a brad on an envelope when it goes thru the machine.
The post office also has a card board checker thing for sliding cards thru to see if they are too thick - I think 1/4 inch is the limit but that is pushing it. I dont know if you can purchase one of those or not. When in doubt I have them check my card. Last time I mailed cards, it took an extra 12 cents and still an embellishment was broken. They were even stamped to not go thru a machine so I dont know what happened.
Reply With Quote Likes