Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-06-2010, 02:17 AM   #41  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes and no. If i can't get it locally when I want it, and want it bad enough, I'll pay. But, If it is rediculous... NO. I Live in Alaska and everyone wants t charge out the nose for it. I once tried to order a pilates DVD and they wanted $50 shipping. I called and they told me it was because it was going "all the way to Alaska". I told them to cancle the order. With the invention of the flat rate box/envelope, I really think that alot of companies are shooting them selves in the foot. I mean really, flat rate priority goes all the way to Alaska in 2-3 days no problem. KWIM?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 02:18 AM   #42  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a few on-line stores that I would love to order from, but the shipping is just too high. I love looking at all the new products on the Frantic Stamper site, but didn't like the shipping prices at all, so would never order from there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 02:42 AM   #43  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Definitely. I hate paying high shipping as I always thinks that is money I could have spent on stamps. I have NOT bought because of their high shipping prices. I just placed a PTI but I order well over the free shipping amount.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 02:48 AM   #44  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by princessmeshelleView Post
Yes and no. If i can't get it locally when I want it, and want it bad enough, I'll pay. But, If it is rediculous... NO. I Live in Alaska and everyone wants t charge out the nose for it. I once tried to order a pilates DVD and they wanted $50 shipping. I called and they told me it was because it was going "all the way to Alaska". I told them to cancle the order. With the invention of the flat rate box/envelope, I really think that alot of companies are shooting them selves in the foot. I mean really, flat rate priority goes all the way to Alaska in 2-3 days no problem. KWIM?
Were they planning on sending it via dog sled...:-D Perhaps they didn't know that the lovely state of Alaska really is part of the US...snort!! Oh, wait I got it, they thought they would have to pack it in extra warm shipping materials....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 06:06 AM   #45  
Hardware Hotshot

Yes, very much. I get a break from my SU demo each month when she puts in our workshop order. That I don't mind. It's always such a small amount. I hate paying for shipping and rarely order online.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 06:30 AM   #46  
Rubber Obsessor

I love, love on line shopping. Mainly, because I don't have the time running to one "M" store to find they don't have what I want and then have to go to another or to "J". If they don't have what I want, I then need to travel through an area of heavy traffic about 20+ miles from my house (trip takes 2 hours with the shopping and travel time). I get so frustrated because I usually can't find all the items on my list so I still have to order on line. If I really want something specific, I just order it online. Shipping for a company is not just the price of the postage. They have to pay someone to package the product, the cost of the packaging, possibly time to take it to a drop off and their gas. I don't resent paying postage on most things as in the long run, it saves me time and money. That being said, I do like to shop sites that have zero postage if I order over a certain amount. However, I bet the cost of shipping is built in to the cost of the item.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 07:03 AM   #47  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenMarieView Post
Oh yeah, shipping matters!
And as others have said... never hurts to email and ask!
I had never thought about e-mailing the company. Good idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 07:09 AM   #48  
Pearl-ExPert

Also, even here on SCS's Buy/Sell Forum, many times if there is only a single stamp set that I would like, I won't buy it because shipping is usually $4.95. If there are 2 sets I like that can fit into the $4.95 flat rate box, then I will buy them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 07:47 AM   #49  
Gallery Gazer

Just wanted to put in a positive opinion...I placed my first order with stop and scrap last month. I placed an order there because they had both of the October Afternoon paper pads I wanted (for less than or equal to any other site's price) and had a flat $5 shipping charge. I also ordered a lot of stuff out of their clearance section, most of it was marked down at least 50%, so I don't think they made much money on those additional purchases. When my box came, the postage they paid was over $6. I feel so bad about making out like a bandit; I want to promote their site*!

(*hey, wait a second, that was very clever, stop and scrap! Give me overly good customer service and value, and I will promote your store and shop there again. Hmmm, maybe some other online stores could take a lesson from them.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 08:12 AM   #50  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by princessmeshelleView Post
...I Live in Alaska and everyone wants t charge out the nose for it. I once tried to order a pilates DVD and they wanted $50 shipping. I called and they told me it was because it was going "all the way to Alaska".
Brief thread hijack! My FIL, who lives in Florida, told me that Alaska is a lot like being in the U.S.! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 08:57 AM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
Yes, very much. I get a break from my SU demo each month when she puts in our workshop order. That I don't mind. It's always such a small amount. I hate paying for shipping and rarely order online.
I don't get a break with my demo. I have to pay the shipping and handling with SU! which is why I have spent sooooooooo much more money with other online stamp companies (even those without free shipping - their shipping is usually cheaper than SU!'s) than I have with Stampin' Up!. If I want an SU! set, I will wait until it retires and my demo sells it from her own collection (so I can save on shipping AND tax) or look for it on ebay (shipping only) or at conventions (tax only). Now I still buy from SU! (as a matter of fact I am going to an SU! party today!) - just not nearly in the volume that I do from other stamp companies.

Shipping charges and policies are the first thing I will look for when I go to an online company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 11:16 AM   #52  
Insane Embellisher

I totally matters to me as well. I recall searching for clear envies and finding 2 companies that sold them for a great price- but once I added my address for shipping the only option was UPS for $15- WHAT THE HECK!! Get real people- there is no way I'm paying $15 for a pack of clear envelopes that easily weigh less than one pound! Both of the companies had the same type of shipping rates also......so needless to say I never did order any. I wish I could find them locally........:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 11:32 AM   #53  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by PipergirlView Post
I totally matters to me as well. I recall searching for clear envies and finding 2 companies that sold them for a great price- but once I added my address for shipping the only option was UPS for $15- WHAT THE HECK!! Get real people- there is no way I'm paying $15 for a pack of clear envelopes that easily weigh less than one pound! Both of the companies had the same type of shipping rates also......so needless to say I never did order any. I wish I could find them locally........:(
There is an SCS'er that sells clear envelopes for a reasonable price with shipping included. Check out www.clearenvelopesambershaw.com. I'm not affiliated...just wanted to help!

Anita Be Stampin (my blog)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #54  
Crimping Master

Totally. I either don't buy the item or wait until I have enough for free shipping. Or if it is a store where I have friends who live in that town, I ask them to pick it up for me and pay them, including their mailing costs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 01:36 PM   #55  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Unless the shipping costs are extraordinarily unreasonable, no. Of course, everybody's idea of what is "reasonable" vs. "unreasonable" will differ, depending on where you live/ease of access to the items you want, etc. ;)

Where I live, travel costs far outweigh any shipping costs, in almost every case.

I'm not keen on profiting from shipping/handling fees, but I do recognize that there are employees to be paid, the costs of packing materials, and other overhead costs, that have to be covered in the course of doing business, or one doesn't remain in business for long. :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 02:11 PM   #56  
Forum Fanatic

I agree with Julie. I have wanted to try some different white cs from other online stores (no names mentioned) and if the shipping is just as much or more than the item I am receiving can't see the sense in paying that much. I only add a little extra (usually only $1 or less) to my shipment costs to cover envelopes or costs to deliver to the post office that sort of thing, but I can't see charging my customers a lot more. I understand there are still web site costs, shipping from their suppliers, etc but I try not to pass along too much of this cost but instead absorb it myself.

Then again, it's not my full-time job ;) but just a "hobby business" or at least that is what I tell my hubby as I sit here with all this inventory. LOL (shhh - our little secret)
Barbaralynn's Summer Swap

I'm a BRAK member. We would love for you to join us!
Click here for more information!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 03:52 PM   #57  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Shipping costs really do make a difference! Many times I've gone shopping online and proceeded to check out only to find a huge shipping fee...that's when I go to my cancel button! I caved in just recently when I placed a $35 order and cringed to see it would cost approximately $10 for shipping. I really wanted the one stamp so I agreed to the charge. I was pleasantly surprised when he business refunded over $3 of the shipping cost so that made me much happier.

Wanda Cullen ~ Dirty Dozen Alumni, On design team for Papertrey Ink, Designer for Color Throwdown and Fusion Card Challenges Cullen-ary Creations[/URL]...my blog HERE'S MY GALLERY[/URL]

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2010, 04:08 AM   #58  
Pearl-ExPert

Well, I see that I am definitely NOT a minority. I probably should have emailed the company to ask about it, but I did read their shipping policy (after the fact) and it clearly stated that they charge a "flat rate" fee...basically so that we would be notified when the package shipped from the delivery company themselves. I really don't think it would have helped to ask for reduced shipping fees...this is a pretty popular stamp company and I just get the feeling that they don't "need" to help the customer out to sell their stamps, kwim? It's my own fault...I apparently wanted the stamps bad enough to pay the rediculous fees, but I doubt I will do it again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2010, 04:33 AM   #59  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdodd00View Post
I really don't think it would have helped to ask for reduced shipping fees...this is a pretty popular stamp company and I just get the feeling that they don't "need" to help the customer out to sell their stamps, kwim?
Personally, I think for any respectable stamp company, it's not a question of "needing" to help the customer, but a position of "wanting" to help as much as possible, so you might be surprised by the response you'd receive if you'd contact them. I can't guarantee that anything would change, but at least you will have given them the benefit of the doubt and allowed them the CHANCE to help before assuming that they won't. There are more "good guys" out there than you might think!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #60  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrHamboView Post
Personally, I think for any respectable stamp company, it's not a question of "needing" to help the customer, but a position of "wanting" to help as much as possible, so you might be surprised by the response you'd receive if you'd contact them. I can't guarantee that anything would change, but at least you will have given them the benefit of the doubt and allowed them the CHANCE to help before assuming that they won't. There are more "good guys" out there than you might think!
Well said!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2010, 03:34 PM   #61  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrHamboView Post
You are right but I haven't had much luck. I recently had to replace some broken drawer parts that were $5.95 and the shipping was $10. I contacted the company and they said they were sorry, but that was the shipping and handing cost. When I received the package the shipping was $1.80 and they included a small gift that unfortunately I won't use. So in the end I paid over $8 for a cardboard box, label, and their time to ship. I know this not representative of all companies, but sadly they have lost me for a customer.

I do understand that everything cost more but if I feel a company seems to makes too much money for "handling" I just can't justify the cost.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2010, 03:35 PM   #62  
Rubber Obsessor

I have also learned to check for coupon and discount codes. I have actually found quite a few of them just by looking on one of the coupon sites.

I also check with my Discover card website, if I link to the company thru their website, I get double bonus points for the purchase. If it's a very large purchase at least a get a tiny amt back. I use my Disc card for everything I possibly can and get at least $25-30 back every month.

I figure every bit helps.

I do think that the price of shipping thru the Post Office has gotten totally ridiculous. Yes, it's cheaper than gas but still .........................

Cyndi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2010, 03:36 PM   #63  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes. Sometimes it keeps me from ordering

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #64  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdodd00View Post
...this is a pretty popular stamp company and I just get the feeling that they don't "need" to help the customer out to sell their stamps, kwim?
I totally agree with this statement. Companies need to realize that the customers are what made their company to begin with and without them their company wouldn't be in existence.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2010, 02:25 AM   #65  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

i refuse to shop at places that charge overly high shipping. i certainly understand a company charging a little more than postage to get an item to me (to pay for packaging, etc), but it's crazy to charge several times what the postage costs are. even a flat rate is too high if i'm ordering a few unmounted stamps that easily fit into a regular envelope.

i'm not one to 'save up' orders to qualify for free shipping either. and, most times, i don't want to spend that much (in one place) anyways.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:19 AM   #66  
Polyshrink Goddess

completely

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2010, 07:26 AM   #67  
Stazon Splitcoast

You bet it does...the stamping dollars need to go as far as possible....There are several companies that I like the products but will not order because of the shipping costs..two that I can think of right off the top of my head are Whipper Snapper and Bella. I usually stick with the companies where you get free shipping at a certain dollar amount...it usually isnt hard to spend the required amount for the free shipping.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2010, 10:06 AM   #68  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by allee'sView Post
Yes, it does. I usually wait to order until my order is large enough to get free shipping.
I second this. Shipping absolutely makes a difference to me - and not just costs but method as well. What I mean by shipping method is what carrier the shipper uses.

I may be the only one, but I will not order from companies that only ship UPS. UPS is slower, pricier and far less reliable (i.e. packages regularly arrive damaged) than USPS, at least where I live (now NC and before in TX). This opinion I have reached after years of mis-haps with UPS (ask me about my photography equipment last summer).

As for me, If I can't have a USPS option (no matter how fast/slow the choices), I simply will go somewhere else to shop.

As a consumer, I LOVE the multifarious choices available which usually enable us to just go somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2010, 10:10 AM   #69  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
You bet it does...the stamping dollars need to go as far as possible....There are several companies that I like the products but will not order because of the shipping costs..two that I can think of right off the top of my head are Whipper Snapper and Bella. I usually stick with the companies where you get free shipping at a certain dollar amount...it usually isnt hard to spend the required amount for the free shipping.
blessings.
Funny you should mention Whipper Snapper. Not 10 minutes ago, I was going through the checkout with the 10% discount they're now offering and cancelled my order b/c it was going to cost me $8 (7.95) and the UPS thing. Darling stamps, but the $3 I was going to save stamps wasn't worth that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2010, 10:31 AM   #70  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default shipping charges

I agree with so many points on here. I think that some companies have gone with flat rate shipping, and have forgotten how much it actually impacts their business. I also feel, IMO, that is how they also try to make up monies for their business. I too purchased some unmounted stamps that could have easily shipped in a small padded envelope for $3.50 but instead was charged $11.95 for the flat rate. My fault, I agree, but I haven't purchased anything from them since then, and feel shipping is a HUGE decision in a purchase.

Linda "LZ" Zaworski
* Baltimore, MD *
My Facebook Stamping page/group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/221943441186603/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #71  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think I'm like most:

I usually wait until I have enough to get free shipping.

Some places have really low shipping and I'll do an order with them even if I don't have a free shipping type order.

I guess if I really wanted something it wouldn't matter about the price though. I mean within some sort of reason.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtgchicView Post
Just wanted to put in a positive opinion...I placed my first order with stop and scrap last month. I placed an order there because they had both of the October Afternoon paper pads I wanted (for less than or equal to any other site's price) and had a flat $5 shipping charge. I also ordered a lot of stuff out of their clearance section, most of it was marked down at least 50%, so I don't think they made much money on those additional purchases. When my box came, the postage they paid was over $6. I feel so bad about making out like a bandit; I want to promote their site*!

(*hey, wait a second, that was very clever, stop and scrap! Give me overly good customer service and value, and I will promote your store and shop there again. Hmmm, maybe some other online stores could take a lesson from them.)
This makes me very happy. I have an order open with them (has several preorders on it) and it is the first time I've ordered from them. It's a huge order so I'm happy to hear they are a good company. They do have fantastic prices and I had to email them to figure out how to add various things to my order after I sent it (no problem by the way) and they seemed really good. They might be my new source for hot pattern paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2010, 05:06 PM   #72  
Die Cut Diva

Many have mentioned the cost of shipping supplies, but if you go to the P.O. (referring to US where my experience-base is), boxes are FREE. I don't ship for a company, but I could personally fill a room with the paper, peanuts, bubble wrap etc. I have extracted from packages.

FREEBIES

Really, how expensive can supplies be that we have to pass that cost on to the customer?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 02:30 AM   #73  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by binxView Post
...boxes are FREE. I don't ship for a company, but I could personally fill a room with the paper, peanuts, bubble wrap etc. I have extracted from packages.

Really, how expensive can supplies be that we have to pass that cost on to the customer?
REALLY good point!
i know that bubble wrap and other packaging items cost money too [zippies, tape, paper filler]. and i'm not opposed to paying a little over actual postage costs to pay for that. but, paying $12 for a couple of pieces of rubber, that can ship for much less just doesn't make sense.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:04 PM   #74  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by binxView Post
Many have mentioned the cost of shipping supplies, but if you go to the P.O. (referring to US where my experience-base is), boxes are FREE. I don't ship for a company, but I could personally fill a room with the paper, peanuts, bubble wrap etc. I have extracted from packages.

FREEBIES

But the boxes are only free if you then pay for priority or express mail... and that is not cheap.

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 12:32 PM   #75  
Die Cut Diva

Due to shipping costs is why I don't first go to the internet for shopping. I prefer to shop my local merchants. Be they small one man stores or large chain stores.

That's why I am amazed when someone in a thread asks about a product and where to purchase it. The first posts in response are always internet sites.

If I do place an internet order, it's large enough to get the free shipping. If not I am at least placing a large order worthy of the shipping costs. I would never order only 1-2-3 items over the internet from one place.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 12:51 PM   #76  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lharnishView Post
A little off topic, but are there any Canadians who can tell me their experience with ordering from CUT@HOME and what Canada Customs/Canada Post charged? I want to order some Nestabilities and with the 40% off coupon, the Canadian prices can't come close. I haven't ordered anything from the US in the past couple of years and recall Canada Post charges a $5 processing fee (or has that gone up) and then there could be 13% duty on top of that.

It drives me crazy that so many items are priced sky high in Canada, considering the dollar has been hoovering in the 90 cent range for a long time. The pricing, before taxes, should be a lot closer than it is.

Thanks for listening to my question and rant :-)
I ordered from then using the coupon and don't remember there being any additional customs charges.

I agree - shipping charges are certainly an issue, especially coming into Canada. I look for companies that offer free shipping such as Magnolia Canada. I've started ordering digi stamps for just that reason - shipping charges.

My Gallery
My very young blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #77  
Matboard Maniac

I buy online a lot, because my local craft shop doesn't stock the stuff I want....mostly from the USA! Postage is a problem: a lot of places use the flat rate $13 dollar envelope, but if this goes astray there is no compensation. One company I would like to use charges $25 for up to $50 value, and $40 for up to $100; it's a heck of a fee, but I think this gives a tracking scheme and compensation if the package is lost. I have to weigh up the probabilities - I've bought a lot of stuff from the US which has come through with no problems so the extra cost wouldn't have been justified, but OTOH my DD hasn't received her Christmas parcel from her cousin in DE which was sent ordinary post and there's nothing to be done about it. I've also lost a package which I had sent from the supplier (in IL I think) to DE for my sister to bring back after visiting her DD for Christmas. So sometimes it's safer to buy from an English supplier with less liklihood of goods going astray but prices cost around 60% more ($20 pricetag in the US will cost �20 in the UK which converts to approximately $32 in actual money)

As for the specifics of buying from a certain US firm (NO name mentioned... ;)), my friend finds that they err on the generous side (in her favour) with their customs form. It is far cheaper to buy from them and pay the import tax that's charged on the declared amount...but then our post office adds a whopping �8 fee(over $12) just for collecting it and passing it on.

I know it doesn't make YOU feel any better about paying for postage, but think of us poor non-Americans and what WE have to pay for the same goods compared with you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 03:13 PM   #78  
Mad Swapper

Absolutely! That is why I only buy from a few companies because they have free shipping or very low shipping. I would love to start buying a few stamps from a few of the member companies right here on SCS but won't because there shipping starts too high for just one stamp set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2010, 11:31 PM   #79  
Insane Embellisher

Dang, some shipping prices!!!

I just saw a StampBella stamp that I wanted. I go to buy it and figured I'd buy another stamp I've been wanting for awhile, got to the shipping and OMG, $10.33!!! YIKES!!! Just cant do it, thats seems high. So sad :( Guess they have to go on my list for just look, but can't buy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2010, 11:47 PM   #80  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

i check out a filing cabinet-$ 99 s/h. no thank you
Reply With Quote Likes