Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-19-2012, 10:48 PM   #81  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdieluverView Post
What other places have files for the Cameo?

Terry
I have been using these machines a long time. I have thousands of files. It would be really hard to make a list of files. I was going to start a web site for SVG & GSD files. Life got in the way. I guess that would be a neat thing for my poor empty blog that I neglect.

The best tip I can give is too look for subjects you want. Such as cat Silhouettes, Cat SVG's, Cat Coloring pages, Cat GSD's. That would be a good starting point for you to find some treasure sites.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2012, 06:04 AM   #82  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftymelView Post
Another question here {no kidding} since the mat is super sticky, how are you guys removing intricate cuts from it without ruining the piece?

TIA!

Hugs,
Melanie
You can also "de-sticky" it a little by using a clean t-shirt or cloth and patting it over the mat.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:11 AM   #83  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatarinaMView Post
I finally caved in and bought me a Cameo from Amazon. I have Prime so it was $269 with free shipping, scheduled to arrive Wed.! Is the software upgrade downloadable or do I have to order a CD?
Yay! Two more sleeps! There are some places that will mail you the CD but if you upgrade through Silhouette Online it's downloadable.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:29 AM   #84  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3 Little Love BugsView Post
You can also "de-sticky" it a little by using a clean t-shirt or cloth and patting it over the mat.
Thanks for the great tip Shelly!!! I am definately going to give that a go!

I tried the print & cut the other day....swoon & thud!! I'm off to buy more files!! eeeek!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2012, 05:42 AM   #85  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered a huge bundle of images from Lettering Delights earlier this week and had an absolute blast working with them yesterday afternoon. They just made me smile so much, such cute images!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #86  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for all the tips here - I sure love my Silhouette!

I just posted two cutting files for the Silhouette & Cameo on my site - I am loving designing my own cut files and the ones I made are for interactive cards! Right now they are studio files but I'll be tweaking them in Illustrator so that they are SVG.
My zip strip file
And the window slider card file.
enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #87  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Awesome Angela! Thanks for the freebies, I was desperately trying to avoid caving in and buying the metal dies from PTI...

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelfehrView Post

I just posted two cutting files for the Silhouette & Cameo on my site - I am loving designing my own cut files and the ones I made are for interactive cards! Right now they are studio files but I'll be tweaking them in Illustrator so that they are SVG.
My zip strip file
enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #88  
Matboard Maniac

You're welcome, Katarina!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2012, 07:03 AM   #89  
Mad Swapper

Thanks Angela! The zip strip will come in handy. I made a circular slider file but wasn't sure how to start the zip strip. Yay!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelfehrView Post

My zip strip file
enjoy!
Old 08-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #90  
Stampin' Fool

You Girls are just totally Awesome!!!

I have a question though....I have a few files from other companies, but I can't get them to open in my Studio program. How to I get them to open or import them. I've been trying on and off but can't figure it out...Aaaacckkk

TIA!
Melanie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #91  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ladies...I am seriously consider buying one of these....Does it have to be hooked up to a computer to work? Not sure yet on this but you ladies are making me want it more and more...lol
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #92  
Stampin' Fool

Amber,
Yes you do need a computer to use the Cameo.

Just to let you know (because I did not) if you buy the cut files from Silhouette you are not allowed to use them on cards/projects that you intend to sell. They have implemented an Angel policy of sorts on certain files, but you have to pay anywhere from $8 - $50 per file.

I bought a year membership, and while it's a great deal, I'm bummed that I cant really use them on projects I want to sell.

There are a lot of companies out there that sell files with an Angel policy, and they're great. I'm just having trouble opening them in my Cameo software. I know it's an error on my part.

Otherwise I absolutely Adore my Cameo!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2012, 01:47 AM   #93  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Ladies...I am seriously consider buying one of these....Does it have to be hooked up to a computer to work? Not sure yet on this but you ladies are making me want it more and more...lol
blessings.
Yes, it is a computer base machine. You can use SD cards in it. For buying designs, importing designs, fonts, etc and general designing you will need to be hooked up to your computer. I almost forgot you need to be hooked up for Print & Cut too. The software is free to use and it's pretty easy to use. If you have used a Cricut with the Gypsy, Craft Room or Design Studio you can pick up Silhouette Studio quickly because it's the same concept. There is a small learning curve but you can find tutorials and help for anything you get stuck on. I hope that helps. I have a migraine so I am fuzzy thinking this morning. I hope I wasn't too confusing.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2012, 01:58 AM   #94  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

You Girls are just totally Awesome!!!

I have a question though....I have a few files from other companies, but I can't get them to open in my Studio program. How to I get them to open or import them. I've been trying on and off but can't figure it out...Aaaacckkk

TIA!
Melanie
Are you using the Silhouette Studio or Silhouette Designer Edition?

Most companies use SVG's so that's what I am going to base my quick tutorial on. If it's a different file format just let me know and I can get those open for you too. I posted above I am fighting a migraine so if any of this is confusing just let me know.

I open my SVG files in Inkscape. I save them as PNG. Open Silhouette Studio, open your PNG file and then trace. I know this is a hassle. It's a good thing too. SVG's are always going to have node errors. Retracing does pick up node errors. You can start training your eyes to see where they are. Nine times out of ten die cutters have "failure" problems due to a simple node error. An example would be too many nodes on a curve so the machine chokes up and rips your files, stops the machine or tears up your cardstock. Those are just a couple of examples.

I am not knocking any companies SVG's. It's just one of those things. I design files too and find node errors all the time on my own work.

If you have Internet Explorer 9 you can also open your SVG's in IE9 and save the file as PNG and then open in Cameo, trace, fix, cut.

If you have Designer Edition of the Silhouette Studio you should be able to open SVG files natively. I don't own SDE but I do know it has SVG import.

If your trying to open a WPC, MTC, SCAL file you will need the software for those files. WPC- Funtime, MTC-MTC, SCAL-SCAL. You will need to have the full paid version of these programs to convert your files correctly. With SCAL & MTC you can do it with a trial version but it adds a watermark so your doing more editing that the file is worth. This is the last time I checked on both of these software programs. Todd or Andy might have changed this in a software update. I own full versions of both programs. You can download trials of the programs and try.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2012, 02:11 AM   #95  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Thanks for the great info Dee Ann!

Do you happen to know if there is a tutorial out there showing how to fix these 'node errors'? I wouldn't have a clue where to start with this common problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Are you using the Silhouette Studio or Silhouette Designer Edition?

Most companies use SVG's so that's what I am going to base my quick tutorial on. If it's a different file format just let me know and I can get those open for you too. I posted above I am fighting a migraine so if any of this is confusing just let me know.

I open my SVG files in Inkscape. I save them as PNG. Open Silhouette Studio, open your PNG file and then trace. I know this is a hassle. It's a good thing too. SVG's are always going to have node errors. Retracing does pick up node errors. You can start training your eyes to see where they are. Nine times out of ten die cutters have "failure" problems due to a simple node error. An example would be too many nodes on a curve so the machine chokes up and rips your files, stops the machine or tears up your cardstock. Those are just a couple of examples.

I am not knocking any companies SVG's. It's just one of those things. I design files too and find node errors all the time on my own work.

If you have Internet Explorer 9 you can also open your SVG's in IE9 and save the file as PNG and then open in Cameo, trace, fix, cut.

If you have Designer Edition of the Silhouette Studio you should be able to open SVG files natively. I don't own SDE but I do know it has SVG import.

If your trying to open a WPC, MTC, SCAL file you will need the software for those files. WPC- Funtime, MTC-MTC, SCAL-SCAL. You will need to have the full paid version of these programs to convert your files correctly. With SCAL & MTC you can do it with a trial version but it adds a watermark so your doing more editing that the file is worth. This is the last time I checked on both of these software programs. Todd or Andy might have changed this in a software update. I own full versions of both programs. You can download trials of the programs and try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2012, 03:41 AM   #96  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I love my Cameo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2012, 04:57 AM   #97  
Stampin' Fool

DeeAnn,
I'm using Silhoutte Studio, the software that came with the machine.

I'm talking about opening GSD/DXF files (it sounds like I really know what I'm talking about;))

I'll have my 'Studio' program open, then I go to -file-open-then I'll go to the file on my computer-and when I select it and try to open it, it says no file exists??

I know it 'exisits' because I just bought/downloaded it!

That's where I'm running into my snafu.. I haven't even tried to convert my SVG's yet :rolleyes:

TIA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2012, 06:45 AM   #98  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=craftymel;19605938
I'll have my 'Studio' program open, then I go to -file-open-then I'll go to the file on my computer-and when I select it and try to open it, it says no file exists??

![/QUOTE]

Did you go to the Silhouette Store through the Studio software or just go directly to the Silhouette America website to buy them?

When you go through the software to buy images, the software knows where your library is & immediately downloads them.

If you buy them directly at Silhouette, it doesn't know where your library is to download it to. You then need open the Studio software & go to the File menu (top left). Choose Download Pending Orders (near bottom of list) & whatever you recently purchased at the Silhouette website will be downloaded to your library.

This is also true if you get the free weekly download at the Silhouette website.

Hope this is the solution to your problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2012, 11:00 PM   #99  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatarinaMView Post
Thanks for the great info Dee Ann!

Do you happen to know if there is a tutorial out there showing how to fix these 'node errors'? I wouldn't have a clue where to start with this common problem.
Debbie might have some videos- Silhouette Studio Tutorials - YouTube. I swore I saw a couple.

SusanBlueRobot- Susan Bluerobot I know she has some tutorials.

I don't post over at MTC or really read it. I do know that three of the top die cutting experts in the industry do post over there and they will have leads to other tutorials.

I wanted to add for MTC users that you can use Simplify Nodes command to fix a lot of errors. Andy has done a great job with that feature. I use MTC with my BossKut Gazelle.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2012, 11:16 PM   #100  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

DeeAnn,
I'm using Silhoutte Studio, the software that came with the machine.

I'm talking about opening GSD/DXF files (it sounds like I really know what I'm talking about;))

That's where I'm running into my snafu.. I haven't even tried to convert my SVG's yet :rolleyes:

TIA!
I feel so silly I forgot about DXF & GSD. I feel silly because GSD is the old format for the Graphtec machines. DXF is the desktop plotter format.

I have one GSD on my hard drive right now. I was able to open it. This is how I did it.

Go to Menu-File-Open.

In the drop down box where it says Files of Type scroll down to GSD. Select your file, click open.

I had a lag when it was opening. I counted to about ten seconds before the file popped up. I think there is a rendering problem in the software for GSD files and the software has to think a little longer. It could be just a random computer thing too.

To open up DXF do the following steps but in File Type choose AutoCad Interchange Files (*.dxf). A little note about DXF they never import right in Silhouette Studio or Funtime software. The file either opens up too big, too little, or it opens up blank. It's a bug error in the DXF format. It's kind of hard to debug.

If the files are still not opening then it's probably on the designer's end. The store could have used an older version of the software to save the file in GSD or used a different software. When saving files to open up in different formats for different cutters the files always get nitpicky. Which is what I meant by node errors. Something always gets rewritten.

If your still having trouble you can open the GSD files in the old Silhouette software or Craft Robo software that was made for the Silhouette SD. Here's a link to the software- Robomaster Software. It is free but you won't be able to cut. You will be able to open your file and convert it to DXF. You can also try saving it in GSD format again and see if Studio can read it. Sometimes that does the trick.

The above link also has a small tutorial how to open a GSD file that is not behaving.

I hope that helps.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2012, 04:37 AM   #101  
Pearl-ExPert

I've had my Cameo for almost a year and absolutely love it! I can't stop making shaped cards. I've got a few posted on my blog. Most of the time, I forget to take a picture to post. Ugh.

I have a suggestion about the paper tearing when you remove it from the mat. Try and peel the mat away from the paper instead of peeling the paper away from the mat. Hope that makes sense. Turn the mat over so that the paper that you just cut is down on your tabletop and the mat back side is facing up. Begin by pulling a corner of the mat away from the paper and easing the paper off as it begins to pull away. You will also want to put down the clear plastic sheet that came with the mat as a cover on your table top before you begin this process. This will help prevent your mat from picking up any dusty or paper bits from your table top.

Hope this helps.

My Gallery
My New Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2012, 06:55 AM   #102  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by La FonzView Post
Did you go to the Silhouette Store through the Studio software or just go directly to the Silhouette America website to buy them?

When you go through the software to buy images, the software knows where your library is & immediately downloads them.

If you buy them directly at Silhouette, it doesn't know where your library is to download it to. You then need open the Studio software & go to the File menu (top left). Choose Download Pending Orders (near bottom of list) & whatever you recently purchased at the Silhouette website will be downloaded to your library.

This is also true if you get the free weekly download at the Silhouette website.

Hope this is the solution to your problem.
It's not the files I buy from Silhouette that I'm having trouble opening, it's files that I buy/download from other companies that I'm unable to open. I'll give it a shot though!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2012, 06:56 AM   #103  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I feel so silly I forgot about DXF & GSD. I feel silly because GSD is the old format for the Graphtec machines. DXF is the desktop plotter format.

I have one GSD on my hard drive right now. I was able to open it. This is how I did it.

Go to Menu-File-Open.

In the drop down box where it says Files of Type scroll down to GSD. Select your file, click open.

I had a lag when it was opening. I counted to about ten seconds before the file popped up. I think there is a rendering problem in the software for GSD files and the software has to think a little longer. It could be just a random computer thing too.

To open up DXF do the following steps but in File Type choose AutoCad Interchange Files (*.dxf). A little note about DXF they never import right in Silhouette Studio or Funtime software. The file either opens up too big, too little, or it opens up blank. It's a bug error in the DXF format. It's kind of hard to debug.

If the files are still not opening then it's probably on the designer's end. The store could have used an older version of the software to save the file in GSD or used a different software. When saving files to open up in different formats for different cutters the files always get nitpicky. Which is what I meant by node errors. Something always gets rewritten.

If your still having trouble you can open the GSD files in the old Silhouette software or Craft Robo software that was made for the Silhouette SD. Here's a link to the software- Robomaster Software. It is free but you won't be able to cut. You will be able to open your file and convert it to DXF. You can also try saving it in GSD format again and see if Studio can read it. Sometimes that does the trick.

The above link also has a small tutorial how to open a GSD file that is not behaving.

I hope that helps.
Thanks DeeAnn,
If I run into any more trouble (:rolleyes I'll post again.
You are such a doll for helping, I truly appreciate it!!!
Hugs,
Melanie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2012, 07:34 AM   #104  
Stampin' Fool

DeeAnn!

Thank you soooooooooooo much!!! I wasn't even looking at the 'Files of Type' menu.....I was able to finally open them up!

I'm sending Huge Hugs your way!!! You are just the absolute best!!!

Melanie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2012, 07:47 AM   #105  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've had my Cameo since Christmas and I LOVE it! I mostly make cards with mine. If any of you are cardmakers feel free to drop by my blog to see what I've been creating. If you're also a cardmaker leave me a comment so I can visit your blog and take a peek at your creations as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2012, 12:53 AM   #106  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

DeeAnn!

Thank you soooooooooooo much!!! I wasn't even looking at the 'Files of Type' menu.....I was able to finally open them up!

I'm sending Huge Hugs your way!!! You are just the absolute best!!!

Melanie
Your welcome. Thank you. You made my day with your post.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2012, 08:56 AM   #107  
Rubber Obsessor

Love Love Love mine!
I have been a cutting maniac I've probably used my Silhouette more in the last two weeks than I used my Cricut in the last 3 years!

I flip flop between the Silhouette software and Sure Cuts A Lot. I like the SCAL because I make my own designs (one reason why the Cricut will be hitting the curb).

Rhoda
Reply With Quote Likes