Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-21-2011, 04:29 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you use Fun Foam/craft foam for stamping?

I had some scraps of Fun Foam/? craft foam lying around and made myself a few cloud stamps to use on this card I had some scraps of Fun Foam/? craft foam lying around and made myself a few cloud stamps to use on this Autumn by Tilly at Splitcoaststampers card. It worked well with the 'look' of the rustic type of card I was aiming for. I'm now thinking there must be others using this product in their cardmaking too, more specifically as a homemade stamp like this, so please share your ideas. I realize the 'stamps' won't be very detailed, but simple solid images (e.g. backgrounds etc.) should be OK. Thanks for sharing your ideas. Looking forward to seeing them all.
Happy Fan Club member.

Last edited by Tilly; 08-21-2011 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: typo
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2011, 05:03 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

What a cute card you shared-and a great use for fun foam! I have a traditional rubber stamp set of butterflies that had the patterns of the butterfly, but no shadow stamp for the butterfly bodies that matched. So, I stamped the butterfly patterns on fun foam and then cut around them in butterfly shapes. I now have a custom shadow stamp for each butterfly pattern. Sorry, I haven't put examples in my gallery, but it worked really well and it was a very cheap solution! I'm looking forward to seeing how others have used fun foam!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2011, 05:52 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

I cut this with my Klic-N-Kut to make flowers once but if you can put it through a die cutter, you could have shadow images for your die cuts - could make a nice background.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2011, 06:23 PM   #4  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 825 Likes on 336 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TillyView Post
I had some scraps of Fun Foam/? craft foam lying around and made myself a few cloud stamps to use on this card Autumn by Tilly - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers card. It worked well with the 'look' of the rustic type of card I was aiming for. I'm now thinking there must be others using this product in their cardmaking too, more specifically as a homemade stamp like this, so please share your ideas. I realize the 'stamps' won't be very detailed, but simple solid images (e.g. backgrounds etc.) should be OK. Thanks for sharing your ideas. Looking forward to seeing them all.
I'm trying to remember if fun foam is the thicker blue stuff I used to heat then impress things in, or if it's the thinner stuff that you could use like veggie leather? If it is the thinner stuff, then I have an idea! I just came across this technique called Washi Paper Quilting.
I saw it on Hanko's website (click on 'paper quilting' on the left-hand side). THEN I looked at the Hanko catalog, which has tons of great ideas. I found the catalog on Issu's website, after you register, you can look at the catalog and a bunch of magazines for free.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2011, 07:07 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

I cut fun foam into 1 1/2" strips, then run it through my Xyron sticker maker; run it though again so both sides will be sticky. I cut off small squares as I need them to use to add dimension. I've not been able to find black dimensionals, so this works really well in that case. I also use fun foam, cutting 3-4 pieces into 4" squares, adhere them together, and make my own piercing mat.

I haven't tried stamping with the foam, because I thought you needed to use acyrlic paint to stamp with, and that gets so messy. Does the foam work with regular dye and pigment inks?

Oh, almost forgot. I heat up fun foam with my heat gun (a size to match my rubber stamp image), and then impress the stamp image into the fun foam. I leave the stamp on the foam while it cools. You get some pretty neat effects with this; I've used metallic rubons to hit the high spots of my foam image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2011, 07:37 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

I just cut it with the Cuttlebug and tried it with Distress ink and Stazon and both worked. You have to make sure it is well covered with the Stazon or you get an impression of the fabric from the stamp pad but particularly with the distress ink it would make great backgrounds.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2011, 07:44 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've used fun foam to make stamps a few times. I made an oak leaf stamp for this card: Swap Card 08 - 2 by cat_woman - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers. Its hard to see since I used gold ink over top of a sponged background, but it worked really well. I've also cut out flowers, swirls, & leaves to use on projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2011, 11:18 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

[QUOTE=uncbballfan;18649343] Does the foam work with regular dye and pigment inks? QUOTE]

I haven't tried it with dye inks but it works fine with pigment inks.
Happy Fan Club member.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2011, 11:47 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,074 Likes on 824 Posts

I've used it to make stamps, but just pretty basic shapes - circles, rings and so on: ODBDSLC63 Sentiments Only by Cook22 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

I've also heated it and stamped on it as here - IC297 Organic Agapanthus Take 2 by Cook22 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers. Any other card predates my SCS gallery, I hadn't done it in years!

And like cat_woman I've also cut flowers and flourishes from it to use on projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2011, 12:48 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

Stamping onto the hot foam is an awesome effect. Can't say I'd seen it before this thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2011, 03:56 AM   #11  

Cook22 those are truly lovely!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2011, 04:01 AM   #12  

KoffeeKat,

When Vesta Able stopped making 'Veggie Leather' I used brown fun foam instead. Heat it, stamp on it, then if you want it to look like a real rough piece of leather cut the edges and kind of tear with the scissors, to get a ragged effect.
(I figured out that the OP was talking about the thin stuff that comes in several colors)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 09:52 AM   #13  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I see that I used Versamark to stamp with foam on this card here - IC264 Angular Christmas by Cook22 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers - and then dusted with Perfect Pearls.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 05:33 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

You got me thinking about a project I'm doing at the moment. I needed some ghosts - enter fun foam. I now have some cute little ghosts inked in Brilliance Moonlight White. I drew in some detail with a fine pencil and that shoes up too.

I tried running some foam through an embossing folder the other day (no heat applied). The impression still showed this morning and comes out when I stamp with the embossed piece. Could make some interesting patterns in stamped flowers...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 06:56 PM   #15  

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoffeeKatView Post
You got me thinking about a project I'm doing at the moment. I needed some ghosts - enter fun foam. I now have some cute little ghosts inked in Brilliance Moonlight White. I drew in some detail with a fine pencil and that shoes up too.

I tried running some foam through an embossing folder the other day (no heat applied). The impression still showed this morning and comes out when I stamp with the embossed piece. Could make some interesting patterns in stamped flowers...

So you are stamping with the foam. I stamped on a dark brown fun foam and used it as an embellishment.... like a piece of leather.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 07:01 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

Yes, I'm stamping with, instead of on.

Your embossing into it made me wonder if I could use it for details and it works. It is a bit like stamping with carved potatoes but a lot easier to carve. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 08:12 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Stamping onto the hot foam is an awesome effect. Can't say I'd seen it before this thread.
FYI for anyone thinking of this - I think this technique only works with rubber - don't want people ruining their clear stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2011, 01:35 AM   #18  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

That sounds interesting and worth trying. I have foam in colours I'm never going to use, left from when I minded my best friend's kids.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2011, 01:37 AM   #19  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
FYI for anyone thinking of this - I think this technique only works with rubber - don't want people ruining their clear stamps.
Ha - I don't know if I want to experiment just in case, but I have certainly used clear stamps with fantasy film and an iron (low setting), so I'd be a little surprised if warm fun foam was hot enough to damage the stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2011, 02:08 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

If you are anything like me, there is a cheap acrylic you don't like lurking somewhere in the back of a drawer just waiting to be abused. :twisted:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2011, 07:05 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

If you are anything like me, there is a cheap acrylic you don't like lurking somewhere in the back of a drawer just waiting to be abused. :twisted:
Yeah, all those $1 buys I just had to "collect":p

Considering the rubber process is at a much higher temperature than even the photopolymer let alone the cheaper acrylic, it would be a risk that maybe people wouldn't want to take on their favorite high end clear stamps. Is that better?

I just used part of a pack of fun foam for bases to make clothes dividers for a baby shower my last blog entry Krikey Kreations: Baby Shower crafted gifts - Clothes Dividers

Not really stamping with it but still a pretty good use of it when you have it already lying around.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2011, 08:21 AM   #22  

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
KoffeeKat,

When Vesta Able stopped making 'Veggie Leather' I used brown fun foam instead. Heat it, stamp on it, then if you want it to look like a real rough piece of leather cut the edges and kind of tear with the scissors, to get a ragged effect.
(I figured out that the OP was talking about the thin stuff that comes in several colors)
I was looking in one of notebooks for something else and came across this old magazine article on 'Almost Leather" which was Able's first product. Then came 'Veggie Leather." Both seemed the same to me, just like fun foam. I don't have any examples that I've done, (sold them all) so I'm attaching a picture from the old Rubber Stamper article. This was done by Sandy Smith-Lloyd.

Cut foam with deckle-edge scissors and cut small notches on sides. Heat for about 20 seconds with heat tool, when foam curls slightly, flip over and heat other side. Stamp immediately with permanent black ink.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you use Fun Foam/craft foam for stamping?-leather.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2011, 07:45 PM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

Great card. Thanks for sharing the pic. I love all the suggestions here, so thanks to all who have taken the time to respond to this thread.
Happy Fan Club member.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2011, 10:01 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

SC Magnolia, you mention a Hanko's website in your earlier post, tried googling it but didn't turn up. Can you please post a link for me? This is an interesting thread and yes, I too have a supply of fun foam, didn't buy it with any particular purpose but this thread is giving me some fun ideas!

Thanks,
Rachael
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2011, 10:32 AM   #25  

Quote:

Originally Posted by momtoredView Post
SC Magnolia, you mention a Hanko's website in your earlier post, tried googling it but didn't turn up. Can you please post a link for me? This is an interesting thread and yes, I too have a supply of fun foam, didn't buy it with any particular purpose but this thread is giving me some fun ideas!

Thanks,
Rachael
Here you go Rachael:
Hanko Designs - Japanese Paper, Washi Paper, Asian Rubber Stamps, Origami, Mizuhiki and More - index
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2011, 04:34 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Location: I live in United Arab Emirates because of my husbands job.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
I was looking in one of notebooks for something else and came across this old magazine article on 'Almost Leather" which was Able's first product. Then came 'Veggie Leather." Both seemed the same to me, just like fun foam. I don't have any examples that I've done, (sold them all) so I'm attaching a picture from the old Rubber Stamper article. This was done by Sandy Smith-Lloyd.

Cut foam with deckle-edge scissors and cut small notches on sides. Heat for about 20 seconds with heat tool, when foam curls slightly, flip over and heat other side. Stamp immediately with permanent black ink.
I like the idea! Going to make some, it will make a lovely card for a man.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2011, 04:56 AM   #27  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

i used funky foam (as it's called over here) to create a snowflake stamp from a marianne die that you can see here

just use zig 2 way glue to stick it to your acrylic block. you can clean it between colours using a baby wipe too!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2011, 05:05 AM   #28  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen McView Post
i used funky foam (as it's called over here) to create a snowflake stamp from a marianne die that you can see here

just use zig 2 way glue to stick it to your acrylic block. you can clean it between colours using a baby wipe too!
Wow, I had no idea that they would stamp so well! The card is very lovely
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2011, 11:26 PM   #29  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have used it yes with either the pre cut shapes or cutting simple shapes myself.
I put a double thickness of the foam and glues to wooden blocks.
East to make new ones when the old ones go icky.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2011, 03:37 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 255 Likes on 138 Posts

I have made stamps by cutting out shapes of fun foam with great success, even using dye ink. Mostly, though, I use it to make embellishments. One of my favorites was to heat a small piece of white fun foam and impress a sand dollar stamp into it. Then, when cool, rub it with tan inks, cut out, and you have a tiny, very realistic looking sand dollar! I also use it for the frames when making shaker cards. Since it is easily cut to any shape and comes in so many colors, it doesn't show and is not sticky on the ends like foam tape, so none of the fillers get stuck, it is the perfect thing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2011, 03:55 PM   #31  

I don't have any cards left with fun foam on them, but I did find one in my box of cards I've received from friends. Attached is an example of the foam being stamped on.

She applied India ink with a make up sponge around the edges to age it.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you use Fun Foam/craft foam for stamping?-funfoam.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #32  
Crimping Master

Who knew fun foam could be so cool?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2011, 04:21 AM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

I've been making foam stamps for several years using Spellbinders dies, the really detailed ones are great to use as background stamps! One of my favorites are leaves because the open emboss area of the leaf veins. I think it's a great look to stamp the background of the cardstock and then use the actual die as an embellishment.

With the leaf die I use a copper pigment ink to stamp the backgroud and then use a copper colored foil die cut to embellish! Lots of fun!

If I wanted to keep the foam to use a few days later I would heat set them, but I am usually using a scrap and only want them for a quick project so I consider them disposeable. The emboss stays popped to stamp with for several hours without heating.

I used double stick tape to attach the foam die cut out stamp to an acrylic block.

This is one of my favorite techniques using Spellbinders dies because of the emboss detail!
Reply With Quote Likes