Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-16-2016, 02:38 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do you use or discard technique samples?

I just tried the color-lifting technique Jennifer Mcguire demoed in her video this week. Although my first three tries were not perfect, I could not bear to throw them out. I cut the acceptable parts of three flowers and a section of leftover leaves for four cards.
I wondered if others feel that after spending so much time and effort on a technique, it must be used. Or can you be more ruthless than me and throw it away?

Here is what I did with my tries.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you use or discard technique samples?-image.jpg  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2016, 02:48 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

I have definitely used some samples I've made, the key word here being "some". If I don't like what I've done, I'm very ruthless when it comes to throwing samples away. I don't feel bad about it because it was a learning experience.

Your "rejects" turned into beautiful cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2016, 03:04 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 669 Likes on 421 Posts

well, since I have not seen the tutorial I don't know what you were going for with the look. ( kwim?) so, to me all the cards in the shot look like they turned out just fine

depends on the technique I guess. most things I tend to keep.
I am starting to become more ruthless about things I color... because, lately I am messing around with water coloring and to give my self something to do during the drying time I am doing say 2 or 3 of the same image at the same time rotating them, so, when they are all dry and I call it good I maybe only keep 1 or 2 of them. ( the ones that I like best) and that's OK.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2016, 03:10 PM   #4  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,553 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Wow - those are beautiful! I don't know why you'd throw them away!

I throw a lot away. I try to "create for the trash" - just practice, and then finding something I like enough to use is a bonus!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2016, 03:46 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm a little chicken you-know-what in the technique realm, so I have no comment on the question, just the cards: GORGEOUS!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2016, 04:25 PM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,923 Likes on 2,190 Posts

If my card turns out crummy, I cut the front off and save the back for other things! Having said that, I wouldn't have thrown any of yours away!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2016, 05:07 PM   #7  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I try to use them if they look "okay" even if they don't turn out as intended, otherwise I'd never finish anything for fear it wasn't perfect. I figure most people receiving them don't know what they're "supposed" to look like anyway!

Love your cards - gorgeous.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2016, 05:51 PM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

I work on postcards that I then attach to cards. So if they dont come out, into the trash if I cant flip it and try again. I was taught this way to learn techniques. It took me a good while though to use real CS and not cheap stuff b/c I didnt want to waste it-but you really have to, to see how it will look and how the inks are working on it.

I do keep a good sample in a directions book I have so if I want to go back to something I have not done in awhile, I see what it should be like (I am very visual) with the directions.

I do also keep my prototypes I make for runs. May be different from the final a bit but I will know what I did. If I dont have one, I'll take a pic of it. This can happen with ones I make for DH b/c I sometimes use a material I dont want to work with again-for example, I just learned I dont like doing complex die cuts with holographic adhesive paper-too thin and it tears. I also am not a fan of the fake velvet paper now. Both have backings that are a PITA imho for complex dies.

You did exactly what every experienced card maker I know does. You salvaged the good part and made something out of it. They look great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2016, 08:14 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Techniques

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I'm a little chicken you-know-what in the technique realm, so I have no comment on the question, just the cards: GORGEOUS!
I'm the opposite. I have not found my niche yet. I try new techniques all the time. Thanks to all for your responses. Complements were very nice. I was not looking for them; just wanted to show the bits I saved and used.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2016, 09:10 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think those cards are a clever save! And I do a similar thing (the Incredible Shrinking Card or else the samples go into my miscellaneous box which I dig through when I make junk journals or mixed media. You'd be surprised how cool those discarded techniques can look if they're just cut out or die cut a certain way! Or if they get a layer of gesso, texture paste, paint or stain over them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2016, 10:20 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tend to not throw stuff away. I can usually do something to fix it, or sometimes I just decide that there are folks who won't notice my mistakes & I'll use it for them. For example... my 2.5 year old does NOT notice errors. She notices if the colours are pretty & there's a cute animal on the front.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 06:45 AM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

LOL on the baby not noticing mistakes Rollyfan. Can you imagine? They cant talk in paragraphs yet and there they are, stubby finger pointing at the card going "um, what is that?" LOLOL

Poppy! Great idea-die cut it! A bg might look bad that way, but cut it into a heart or something and it's cool again!

I forgot to say I might keep it as a cautionary tale..aka DONT do this or you get this-I usually just write that in my directions but sometimes you really want to drive it home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 07:02 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I think we are all our own worst critics, and see faults that others do not notice! Having said that, anything that I try that I'm not happy with I tend to see if I can do anything with it rather than throw it straight away. Either die cut from it, or I will cut/punch into squares and use in mosaic type cards.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2016, 11:57 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 244 Likes on 130 Posts

I'm glad I read this thread! Turns out I'm not necessarily "ruthless" .. but I do toss more and much more easily than I did in my beginning days. Practice just takes paper, ink, and time. And really ... the process of the practice is what we need for improvement.

But I will admit to keeping/saving/*cough*stash*cough as visual reminders or cues to "use" that technique from time to time. Without a visual cue to spot or touch now & then, it's could be "cup runneth over run-off" and that's sad. :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes