Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-22-2020, 10:27 PM   #41  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotwheelsView Post
Okay dumb question in light me. What is a tunnel cards) never heard of that phrase before? and answer the questions (I like it all ) Some better than others even tho I can't make they one my own. Karen you know what I mean by that. And don't forget about the waterfall cards and the shaker cards and pop cards too.
Hi Linda, TLC785 was Jean's fun technique challenge for tunnel cards. I hope this link works. TLC785~Tunnel Card~3/9/2020 by jkanack at Splitcoaststampers

Please don't take your organs to heaven - heaven knows we need them here.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2020, 10:42 PM   #42  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,074 Likes on 824 Posts

As well as the version in Jean's challenge, which to me was closer to what is called a pop-up diorama in our tutorials, there's another version in the tutoriaI section here for what I have known for years as a tunnel card. One of the things with fun folds is that often people have different names for the same fold, so it can get confusing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2020, 10:22 AM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I almost always hand deliver cards that are bulky. The exceptions are cards that I send to very special people for very special reasons or occasions. For example, when I was sick in March with what I think was the Coronavirus, some very dear and caring friends checked on me every day. When I was well again, I made some bulky cards with 3-D flowers and embellishments. They were 6 x 6 and 5 x 7. I mailed them in padded envelopes, and it wasn't cheap to do that. I felt it was worth the price, and a lot more, to express my feelings to them.

I watch a lot of UK craft shows, and they do make larger cards. I've seen them as large as 8 x 8! To me, that's a scrapbook page, LOL. I've never made a card that big. The largest one I've made was 8 1/2 x 5 1/2.

A friend of mine who receives quite a few cards from UK crafters remarked that many of the cards are the size of dinner plates! I also notice that more UK crafters share cards on their blogs that use pre-made collections and elements. I am trying to use more of my pre-made embellishments and paper collections to make a full card, but am still trying to figure out how to use them. I generally use stamps and dies, colored and cut to my color choices. Trying to work with is already made is often hard for me.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2020, 10:30 AM   #44  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancingpurplecatView Post
I prefer lightly embellished cards, usually CAS, but I do like interactive cards, is that a "fancy fold"?

Argh, interactive cards are even more difficult for me to make than fancy folds. I love reading the tutorials but always pass on them. Even when a die set comes out to make the interactive elements, I would probably put it together wrong. Someone offered a PIF of a simple flip fold card, and I did manage to make several of those correctly, haha!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2020, 10:37 AM   #45  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhitlocaView Post
Recipients need to be card worthy to receive one of my handmade cards. That means it isn't readily disposable. It needs to be on display for awhile. Generally people I know in the US no longer appreciate or really give cards any more. A text is good enough. In the UK, people are physically closer and are able to personally deliver handmade cards. Generally people there still appreciate handmade items. I have been fortunate to go to the UK many times and have many friends from there. You may have different experiences.
I've recently made some fancier fold cards and pop-ups. Mailing costs impact the embellishments used. I stuck my Nephew's card in a plain envelope and it cost me $4 to mail. If it is square, it is extra. If it has a bump like a bow, it is extra. If it has several layers and isn't flexible (bendy), extra. If it doesn't fit through the 1/4" slot, extra. Weight, extra. I understand it must be manually cancelled. I grudgingly accept this. It's good to be aware before you get to the post office so you can think about using a small pre-paid box instead.

I agree that people tend to live closer in the UK than in the US (in general). I live in California, and have to drive up to 12 hours to go from one part of the state to the next. My local friends don't stamp or make cards, so my closest  stamping friend lives about an hour and a half away. The rest are all in different states. As a paper crafter, I keep almost all of the handmade cards that I receive (which will drive my daughter nuts when I am gone) but I know that recipients of my cards probably toss them after a couple of days. So I tend to make simpler, flat cards that are easy to display for a day or two. I don't know if it's the disposable society we live in, or if my particular family and circle of friends are the norm. One of my sisters keeps a card long enough to take a photo of herself with the card, as a thank you...and then tosses it. The other one has kept all of my cards and displays them every year as part of her holiday or anniversary decor. So I make and send cards according to the recipient's probably reaction.
Karen 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2020, 10:49 AM   #46  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoptownracer1View Post
I occasionally will mail a card with embellishments, but I make sure to send it in a manilla mailing envelope with an extra stamp. It is worth it to be sure it gets there in one piece. It is too easy to get mangled in the postage machine.
I will send more CAS style cards in the regular envelopes. 

I bought a pack or two of kraft envelopes to use when I have a card with embellishments. They're sturdier, and the chance of it tearing is less. I still try to keep my cards flat, because my post office even charges extra for something as small as an enamel dot!
Karen 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2020, 11:12 AM   #47  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 255 Likes on 138 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post

I bought a pack or two of kraft envelopes to use when I have a card with embellishments. They're sturdier, and the chance of it tearing is less. I still try to keep my cards flat, because my post office even charges extra for something as small as an enamel dot!
Karen 

I love embellishments---not many, but a button, brad or charm, even a bow can really add to the design and make a composition look complete.  I have learned for embellishments that still allow the card to go through the 1/4" slot, but cause a bump that the PO likes to charge for, a cardstock panel over the front of the card makes it unnoticeable and yet lets it pass through the slot and go for regular mail.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2020, 01:40 PM   #48  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1,171 Likes on 504 Posts

link doesn't work

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie australiaView Post
Hi Linda, TLC785 was Jean's fun technique challenge for tunnel cards. I hope this link works. TLC785~Tunnel Card~3/9/2020 by jkanack at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2020, 01:42 PM   #49  
Pearl-ExPert

Jeanne, I add a very thin layer of foam that is used for storing fine china, but there is one clerk at my post office who measures very carefully and dings people if the envelope is even slightly puffy. I usually toss it in the mail slot in front of the post office in the hope that someone else will process it and it always goes through. The only ones that don't are the ones she personally handles. Poor thing must get out of the wrong side of the bed every morning!
Karen 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2020, 01:44 PM   #50  
Pearl-ExPert

I've given my large rhinestones and brads to my granddaughters to use on their craft projects because they're just too bulky to use on mailed cards. All those beautiful decorative brads that I bought back in the day...sigh. Too heavy and thick for scrapbook layouts OR cards!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2020, 02:01 PM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Those tunnel cards look fun and cute....and the look like shaker cards too me. I would need help making them. Because I can't make cards or stamp on my own. mom used to help me. But, she passway. But I learn what a tunnel cards is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
Have tried You tube for tunnel cards?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2020, 02:12 PM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

But than I did like big square cards or odd ball size cards . Because we could never find envelope to fit cards. And we try to make the envelopes too. But, we never got to turn out right!  So I think why I did not like the big cards. But, now I don't think it matters now. If I can find people who can make them and help me make the cards.
I am Enjoy chatting with you all. And get to know you and learning. Thanks Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2020, 03:35 PM   #53  
Proud Fan Club Member
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Linda, if you scroll back to YOUR post #48 and go the section that contains the "quote", click on the bold letters TLC785 Tunnel Card. It seems that using the "quote" button,has fixed the link

Please don't take your organs to heaven - heaven knows we need them here.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2020, 03:59 PM   #54  
Stazon Splitcoast

Video doesn't play but okay I found the Tunnel Card on youtube. They some cute and fun ones out there! Thanks Linda

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie australiaView Post
Hello Linda, if you scroll back to YOUR post #48 and go the section that contains the "quote", click on the bold letters TLC785 Tunnel Card. It seems that using the "quote" button,has fixed the link
Reply With Quote Likes