Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-08-2009, 05:55 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you join the card swap if you're the hostess?

I'm hosting my first swap and have noticed that in others I've participated in, some hostesses join, some don't. I made my swap a 4+1 with the "+1" going to the hostess (me!). So if I joined and swapped for myself, I'd actually end up with 4 duplicates. I could also make enough cards to send everyone 5 back, but I have a good-size group, so don't really wanna do that. Is it "fair" if I don't join/make cards to swap??? What does everyone else do??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2009, 06:21 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts

I haven't hosted any swaps yet, but was curious about this too.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2009, 06:25 AM   #3  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 628 Likes on 441 Posts

You can go either way. I have hosted some that I am in and others that I am not in. It is totally up to you. Swapping is a little bit of work coordinating so I do not think anyone minds the +1 for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2009, 07:35 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I think you could either do it or not. If you decide to join, but don't want all the "+1" duplicates that you'll receive, you can always donate them to a number of charities, or send them to our soldiers overseas.

Good luck with your swap!
~K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2009, 10:44 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Or if you want to join then just say "This swap is for 5 cards as I will be joining in. You will receive 5 cards back"
Some hostess that join in do not do the +1. But it is up to you on how you want to do it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2009, 10:52 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcmomof3View Post
I think you could either do it or not. If you decide to join, but don't want all the "+1" duplicates that you'll receive, you can always donate them to a number of charities, or send them to our soldiers overseas.

Good luck with your swap!
~K
Good idea! I think I'll stay in the swap and use the duplicates for a charity (or maybe the local nursing home....hmmm).
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2009, 10:54 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by meluvstampinView Post
Or if you want to join then just say "This swap is for 5 cards as I will be joining in. You will receive 5 cards back".
I honestly thought about that, but just couldn't do it - I'm being greedy - I want the "+1"!! lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2009, 05:49 PM   #8  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

This is just a thought that I had.....if you were to sign up for your own card swap then yes, you would end up with some duplicates of the cards.

If you wanted to take a spot in your own swap, but you didn't want to keep the extra cards for yourself you could give them away in your swap. Perhaps play a game and give the winner an extra card.

I saw in your HM swap that you have numbered the names of your swappers- maybe you could have someone in your family pick a number from 1 - 16 (or however many swappers there are) and give an extra card to the number that was chosen. Or maybe ask a trivia question- first one to answer correctly could receive an extra card.

I don't know if anyone else thinks this is a good idea, but I thought I would mention it and I'm sure there are lots more swap games that you could play.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2009, 05:57 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

subbing for ideas
-laura s
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2009, 08:05 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLattyView Post
This is just a thought that I had.....if you were to sign up for your own card swap then yes, you would end up with some duplicates of the cards.

If you wanted to take a spot in your own swap, but you didn't want to keep the extra cards for yourself you could give them away in your swap. Perhaps play a game and give the winner an extra card.

I saw in your HM swap that you have numbered the names of your swappers- maybe you could have someone in your family pick a number from 1 - 16 (or however many swappers there are) and give an extra card to the number that was chosen. Or maybe ask a trivia question- first one to answer correctly could receive an extra card.

I don't know if anyone else thinks this is a good idea, but I thought I would mention it and I'm sure there are lots more swap games that you could play.
This is a FANTASTIC idea!! Thanks so much for the suggestion!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2009, 02:24 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLattyView Post

Swappers LOVE trivia and prizes. On my GALLERY COMMENTS CONTEST - My kids will pick the numbers -
I also do trivia questions when I get enough swappers and it is fun. I post when i am going post a trivia nd the there are always a few players. I mix up the times to try to give everyone a chance a play.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2009, 06:44 PM   #12  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by galet1View Post
This is a FANTASTIC idea!! Thanks so much for the suggestion!!
Oh, good! I'm glad you liked my idea. I wasn't sure if anyone would think it was a good idea and I wasn't sure if I should post it here
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2009, 07:38 PM   #13  
Vintage Vixen

I hosted a recipe card swap and I did participate. I felt that it was only fair that way. I don't think I would participate in a swap if the hostess doesn't. I mean, it wasn't that big of a deal to be hostess that I couldn't also make my own recipe cards.

If the hostess participates, then she simply doesn't put "+1." So if there are 12 people participating (and the hostess is one of the 12), then everyone makes 12 cards and everyone gets one of their own back. No extras to worry about. To me, that simplifies things.
Reply With Quote Likes