Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-04-2011, 07:03 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you have a TOP selling Card design?

I am making cards to sell as a fund raiser and was wondering what sells best ... I would love to see the links to your top selling cards. Also, do you stamp a sentiment inside?

Thanks for your input

I'm on my way to heaven, cause Jesus paved the way
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2011, 04:22 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

bumping

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2011, 11:31 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

Best-selling cards? All of them. LOL - I never have any for myself when I need them.

Birthday cards are my best-sellers. I also do all-occasion cards, many without sentiments on the front so that they can be used for almost anything. I do fewer get-well and sympathy, but those sell well too. I almost never stamp a sentiment on the inside of a card, unless it's a Christmas card. And I never make thank-you cards unless I have a specific order for them.

Sometimes I package 6-10 A2 sized cards (depending on the number of embellishments) in clear boxes, which I price less than the individual cards would be. I wrap a belly band around the boxes, and add ribbon, flowers or whatever seems to fit the contents of the box. These are some of my best sellers, since the boxed sets make nice gifts.

Hope this helps! And good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2011, 01:23 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Birthday cards sell right away for me. I am in the process of putting up a gallery. I have to resize all my pics, so it will take awhile. I would make a lot of birthday, some feminine, some masuline and a few for kids. I also sell a lot of holiday themed cards.. I did a lot for Easter and didn't save any for myself...(left myself scrambling...but when I am offered money, I figure I can always make more...) I sell thank you, sympathy, baby and wedding cards but those I usually make a few in my box, but make more when requested.
The most important thing-have fun! I sell to my office people so it is different as I got to "know" the trends of what and who I focus on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2011, 03:55 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

I don't have a link to a specific card, but I try to make my cards (that I sell) all occasion and I bring along my PTI sentiment stamps (Mixed Messages is a top pick) to custominze along with a brown and black pad. This has worked best for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2011, 06:32 AM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

Where do you sell yor cards at? I was thinking of making and selling cards, but can't think of where to sell them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2011, 06:44 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowowlView Post
subbing
What does 'subbing' mean?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrappyAmyView Post
Where do you sell yor cards at? I was thinking of making and selling cards, but can't think of where to sell them.
I don't actually do the selling myself, I give the cards to a lady that is part of caird (My cards help support abandoned children in Romania
indexmenu1.gif) and she sells the cards. The way she does it, is she is invited to various churches, she tells them about the children in the orphanage in Romania and how the money earned from selling the cards helps support the orphanage. If anyone wants to support this cause, they just buy a card.

I can't really think of another great way to sell cards except word of mouth (friends, co-workers, family). I don't think it would be worth renting a table at a big event.

Sorry, I wasn't more helpful for you with this information.

Good luck in your future sales

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 186 Likes on 154 Posts
Default subbing

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowmojoView Post
What does 'subbing' mean?
subbing means you are subscribing to the thread.
My Blog- Trusting in the Lord for Everything Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your path straight. My Stampin' Up Website My Gallery, BRAK New Member Mentor. New Grandmother to Mia Lou. 1st Grandchild.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2011, 07:02 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have sold literally thousands of cards to two swim teams for fund raisers...the beauty of my arrangement with them is I can make whatever I want to make. I give them each 1250 cards to sell and only one time have I had any cards left over. I use all kinds of designs, papers embellishements...they all sell. I did this three years in a row and I am taking this year off. I will be doing it again next year. The money is great and the cards are a huge hit. Good luck with your fundraiser. blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2011, 03:54 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Default selling cards

I have two beauty salons I sell my cards, in a stand alone card rack. At one of them I do special occasion cards for their gift cards (like mother's day, valentine's day, etc.) and put in something different like chocolate. They put these on the check out counter and sell well.

I also sell at Farmer's markets in the summer and craft shows in the spring and fall.

For me the individual cards sell better than the packs. I do a mixture of with and without greetings inside and make them for every occasion I can think of sending a card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2011, 04:08 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wondering how much are you selling the cards for and how many layers/embellishments you're using. I haven't had good luck in selling my cards. Was thinking about trying etsy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2011, 04:11 AM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

You don't need to post to a thread to sub Just pull down the "thread tools" and "add subscription".
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2011, 06:12 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have found that birthday, sympathy, thinking of you and thank you are what my friends and family use most. They also like some wedding, baby and graduation tossed in the mix. The just-for-fun cards that I enjoy making don't seem to interest people. It seems that if they are going to send a card, it is for a particular reason. One funny thing I've noticed is sometimes my favorite cards don't interest anyone else, and sometimes the cards I don't like are popular. Hmmm, go figure!

Just Monkeying Around....
I design for: Bugaboo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2011, 06:16 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by rann47View Post
I have two beauty salons I sell my cards, in a stand alone card rack. At one of them I do special occasion cards for their gift cards (like mother's day, valentine's day, etc.) and put in something different like chocolate. They put these on the check out counter and sell well.

I also sell at Farmer's markets in the summer and craft shows in the spring and fall.

For me the individual cards sell better than the packs. I do a mixture of with and without greetings inside and make them for every occasion I can think of sending a card!
Beauty salons is a great idea ... do you share a portion of your sales income with the beauty salons?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2011, 06:21 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I have sold literally thousands of cards to two swim teams for fund raisers...the beauty of my arrangement with them is I can make whatever I want to make. I give them each 1250 cards to sell and only one time have I had any cards left over. I use all kinds of designs, papers embellishements...they all sell. I did this three years in a row and I am taking this year off. I will be doing it again next year. The money is great and the cards are a huge hit. Good luck with your fundraiser. blessings.
This is a GREAT idea ... how do you work this fund raiser exactly? Do you set the price and the swim team members sell the cards and they keep a portion of the sales?

WOW!!! 1,250 cards! ... that's alot, you must keep the cards clean and simple for this fund raiser, is that true?

Do you put sentiments on these cards at all or do you keep them all blank?

Thanks for sharing your idea

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2011, 06:31 AM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

yes .... the beauty salon's get 25% (negotiate you may get it lower) and I sell them for $3-$3.50 each, so I get about $2.25+ per card. I do all kinds some many layers and some not .... I use the cards samples I make for my classes and just make cards for fun and sell them ..... I do get a steady income with them.

When I sell them at farmers markets I do sell one layer cards for $2 and most regular cards for $2.50. If it has many layers, lots of embellishment, photo and/or time coloring with Copics I sell them for $3-$3.50. This year, since I have been doing this for a while, I am going to go through all my cards (home and in stores) and pull out ones that I have had for a while and make a sales bin for $1.75 each for my markets. It may get some new customers excited about sending homemade cards and will freshen up things. Markets start here in two the end of May.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2011, 07:25 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeymamaView Post
I have found that birthday, sympathy, thinking of you and thank you are what my friends and family use most. They also like some wedding, baby and graduation tossed in the mix. The just-for-fun cards that I enjoy making don't seem to interest people. It seems that if they are going to send a card, it is for a particular reason. One funny thing I've noticed is sometimes my favorite cards don't interest anyone else, and sometimes the cards I don't like are popular. Hmmm, go figure!
I have noticed that too. If it is a card I'm not particularly fond of, they sell out in minutes, but my favorites sit there untouched.

I seem to get more requests for any occasion cards, even more than birthday. I might make a birthday card with a certain image and someone will comment that they wish it didn't have a sentiment so they could make it anything they wanted.

Trish
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2011, 07:35 AM   #20  
Glitter Queen

I sell my cards in a beauty shop and a nail shop. The beauty shop does great sales. They don't take a cut; do it because it seems to be a great draw around their products. I have a tabletop swivel holder and the cards are one of a kind...none the same. I've found that holiday cards (except Mother's Day) don't sell as well. I do make gift cards for the shop for the Christmas holidays. You must find ways to make the cards cute, beautiful, but keep the designs simple enough to "mass produce". The more complex, for some reason, don't sell even though I think they are the most beautiful. I order cellphane envelopes (open on one end), buy bulk (they are cheap that way), and I add a label to the upper right corner to identify birthday, anniversary, baby, sympathy, etc...then put them in separate holders in the stand. I feel, with the labels, they don't get handled as much. I have committed to stop in every 2-3 weeks to replenish (or rotate out) the cards, straighten and then collect my money. I find that the rotation of 2.5weeks is great as many customers go in the shop every 3-4 weeks, so find new cards waiting to check out. I put sentiments in all but a few with blank inside. I do the sentiment (inside) on my computer. I also embellish the envelope to match the card (something flat that will go through the mail just fine). I had a special stamp made that I use on the back of the card. I leave a few business cards and offer specialty designs upon request. I love making cards and this helps recoup some $$$ (but I don't think you ever "make" money. Will be anxious to read other ideas, too. BTW...my mom says the best gift she's ever received was when I made all her cards for a year. I asked her to give me her list which she had organized (birthdays, anniversaries, etc), put in a few extra sympathy, get well, thinking of you, etc, personalized ech card to her list and addressed and stamped the envelopes. She was so thrilled, so it is an annual Christmas gift now. I now do 3 months at a time for her...and she still loves it. She's 86.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2011, 08:57 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

I sell the cards to the swim team for $2.00 each...at a total of 2500 card (1250 each team) that is a nice sum of money for me every fall. I got to know the coaches of the teams when my son was a swimmer. I give them the cards and they sell them for $4.00 or more...They set the price. All cards are in a clear envelope with a mailing envelope also. I do stamp a sentiment on the inside of 99% of the cards I sell. I use a post it note on the inside back of the clear envelope to indicate what is on the inside. This works well for me. This is also the way I package ALL the cards I sell. My hubby has a basket on his desk that nets $75 to $125.00 per week and more than that on holidays. The money I make from all these things helps me to support the cards I send to the troops (now over 45,000 sent) and the donation of cards to my church bookstore and youth group to make money. You can check with your local community centers to let them know you are willing to work with groups that fund raise and it should get you a client or two. If I did not know the organization, I would definately take a deposit on the cards that are provided for the sale. I always take back any that are unsold for a credit on the money due. I think the most cards ever returned was 50 and that was only one time. Hope this works out for you....
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2011, 09:24 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 255 Likes on 138 Posts

Quote:

I sell the cards to the swim team for $2.00 each...at a total of 2500 card (1250 each team) that is a nice sum of money for me every fall. I got to know the coaches of the teams when my son was a swimmer. I give them the cards and they sell them for $4.00 or more...They set the price. All cards are in a clear envelope with a mailing envelope also. I do stamp a sentiment on the inside of 99% of the cards I sell. I use a post it note on the inside back of the clear envelope to indicate what is on the inside. This works well for me. This is also the way I package ALL the cards I sell. My hubby has a basket on his desk that nets $75 to $125.00 per week and more than that on holidays. The money I make from all these things helps me to support the cards I send to the troops (now over 45,000 sent) and the donation of cards to my church bookstore and youth group to make money. You can check with your local community centers to let them know you are willing to work with groups that fund raise and it should get you a client or two. If I did not know the organization, I would definately take a deposit on the cards that are provided for the sale. I always take back any that are unsold for a credit on the money due. I think the most cards ever returned was 50 and that was only one time. Hope this works out for you....
blessings.
I applaud all your charity work and the fact that your profits all go into donation process. Hugs and Cheers!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the great ideas. I will have to try some of them. Has anyone sold any graduation cards? I sold one, but it was to a "friend" working in the same shop, so not sure if they would really sell. Does anyone sell postcards?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2011, 10:14 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Default clear envelopes

I love the idea of the clear envelopes to keep the cards in good shape. Where could I buy them in bulk?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #25  
Cardstock Collector

You can get the clear envelopes at ClearBags - Promote, Protect and Preserve.
I stamp the sentiment on mailing labels and place the label on the outside of the clear envelopes so they'll know what is on the inside of the card w/o opening it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbarar20View Post
I love the idea of the clear envelopes to keep the cards in good shape. Where could I buy them in bulk?
i love clearbags.com, for clear envelopes to sell cards in and i love their clear boxes even more.
they also sell great premium envelopes, they have a great feel to them.

tooexcitedtosleep
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2011, 09:53 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

I sell them too!
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2011, 02:38 AM   #28  
Cardstock Collector

The cards that I think are the nicest designs never seem to sell, lol. The ones that sell are the ones I think are ugly!! Everyone's so different. The cards which were popular at my work were flowers and ribbon type cards....the ones with the copic coloured stamps didn't go as fast.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2011, 03:13 AM   #29  
Glitter Queen

I find that Birthday cards and Get Well wishes sell well. However, my BEST sellers have always been Post It Note packets. I use the lined 3x3 size and make little fold over packets that can be put in purses and left in cars. Last summer I made 50 packets with pens included in the packet for my daughter's Confirmation fund raiser. I tend to sell at holiday craft fairs so packets of holiday cards (6-8 cards) sell well also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2011, 04:36 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by bthomas418View Post
I find that Birthday cards and Get Well wishes sell well. However, my BEST sellers have always been Post It Note packets. I use the lined 3x3 size and make little fold over packets that can be put in purses and left in cars. Last summer I made 50 packets with pens included in the packet for my daughter's Confirmation fund raiser. I tend to sell at holiday craft fairs so packets of holiday cards (6-8 cards) sell well also.
Your packets sound very successful, I'm having trouble imagining what these packets look like that you make ... is there a place where I can see a picture? or are you able to give step by step directions on how to make one?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2011, 08:23 AM   #31  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowmojoView Post
Your packets sound very successful, I'm having trouble imagining what these packets look like that you make ... is there a place where I can see a picture? or are you able to give step by step directions on how to make one?
I don't have a picture but if you can imagine a fold over cover to the post it note packet, that's what it is. I use velco as the closing feature on front flap and decorate the front and back to reflect the occasion...musical, BD, holidays, seasonal. To include a pen/pencil, you make a snip at top or bottom and push into the inside to slide the marker into the slot. You just need to score and fold the CS so it is like a little box shape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2011, 08:35 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 677 Likes on 349 Posts

Where do you purchase these clear boxes at a good price? :-) LM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
Best-selling cards? All of them. LOL - I never have any for myself when I need them.

Birthday cards are my best-sellers. I also do all-occasion cards, many without sentiments on the front so that they can be used for almost anything. I do fewer get-well and sympathy, but those sell well too. I almost never stamp a sentiment on the inside of a card, unless it's a Christmas card. And I never make thank-you cards unless I have a specific order for them.

Sometimes I package 6-10 A2 sized cards (depending on the number of embellishments) in clear boxes, which I price less than the individual cards would be. I wrap a belly band around the boxes, and add ribbon, flowers or whatever seems to fit the contents of the box. These are some of my best sellers, since the boxed sets make nice gifts.

Hope this helps! And good luck!

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2011, 09:18 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

blessings.
wow! you are a very busy lady. approximately, how many cards do you make a day?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was just given the contact information for a school band that wants to sell stuff/fundraise to make money...It is funny how these opportunities keep popping up for me...good thing I have been making a lot of cards these days...oh wait..I always make a lot of cards...lol Just another idea for any ladies looking for some money. Schools are always trying to fundraise.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #35  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I was just given the contact information for a school band that wants to sell stuff/fundraise to make money...It is funny how these opportunities keep popping up for me...good thing I have been making a lot of cards these days...oh wait..I always make a lot of cards...lol Just another idea for any ladies looking for some money. Schools are always trying to fundraise.
blessings.
Thanks so much for all your info ... sounds like you've got a reputation in your neighborhood ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2011, 02:43 AM   #36  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can say I have a top selling card design! I designed the card for a very quick demo I was doing for my card club a while back. One lady loved the card, stamp and technique so much she bought the stamp and has since made and sold nearly 100 of them. At first she just made a few but then she kept getting orders for more! She did ask if she could use my design but of course we couldn't have known it'd be so popular. I do know this lady personally (and she did ask for permission) and while she enjoys making lots of them, I'd have to say it'd drive me crazy. It's a lovely simple design.

You can find out about the card here.
Back from the Big Smoke � Cards by Misstreez

Now that I've re-read that post I notice that card 'design' has just had it's 2nd year anniversary, LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2011, 07:15 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Not2shabby...as far as how many I make a day...it totally depends on my mood (how fast I feel like moving) and the design...many of the cards I have made to sell are in my gallery. I only make A2 size for selling/donating. You can mass produce easily 100 in a day if you pick an embossing folder and just spice it up a bit...They all sell! Now..these 100 card days..would be on a weekend because up until 2 weeks ago I worked full time. Now I do the job hunt thing in the am and make cards after lunch. I need to really beef up my stock. blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2011, 04:14 PM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

Theresa,Yes that would make me a bit irritated to but I understand the situation.It is a great card though.Sometimes I guess you have to shrug it off,never mind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2011, 12:57 PM   #39  
Glitter Queen

I would like to purchase some of those great clear envelopes to put my cards in when I give them as a gift. Which clear envelopes do you use? With a flap? Without? I was looking at the Clear Envelope Website and can't decide which one to use.

Thanks for all the great input and ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2011, 07:05 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

I sell a lot of both kinds of clear envelopes...I use ONLY the ones with the flap but sell an equal amount of the card jackets and the flap ones. HOpe that helps.

blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes