Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-03-2014, 06:52 AM   #41  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougnatView Post
I think I have a definite style, I LOVE patterned paper and layers, but I love the CAS style that is so hot right now using mostly ink and stamps, keep trying it but it never 'feels' right....
Natalie, I've been to your blog. Not only do you do a lovely job with pairing designer papers, I agree that your layering is also nicely done. I love the Valentine Mini Cards on your gallery. I believe you found your style (she smiles).
My Blog

Last edited by PaperPunchScissors; 09-03-2014 at 06:56 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2014, 09:03 AM   #42  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
Aw thanks for your lovely compliments Debbie!

Oh, but I AM limited by the stamp images I have!! If my mom asks me for a card and I don't have the stamp I need, I will waste HOURS thinking of how to construct it using stamps I DO have, and if I can't then I spend HOURS online trying to find free clip art to use, and if I can't find it THEN after much reluctance and grumbling I finally force myself to draw the dang whatever it is she wanted. I dislike drawing so much that my mom is the only person I'll draw for.
OHHHHH, if only I COULD draw. I would be in heaven.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2014, 09:35 AM   #43  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't posted any cards and have only been stamping for about a year. My style so far is CAS. Even as I learn more techniques and obtain more stamps and equipment, I keep going back to clean and simple. I dress and decorate like that too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2014, 10:43 AM   #44  
Compulsive Stamper

Default My Style

I guess I am what you might call a "technique" stamper. I love trying all the zillions of techniques out there such as grid stamping, faux watercolor, faux stamps, spotlighting, torn paper, mixed media, brayering, embossing, layering, reinker spread, sponging, direct-to-paper, collage and the list goes on and on. And I love playing with COLOR!

My style tends to be more simple vs. detailed and I love classy vs. cute and whimsical. I guess that really doesn't identify "my style". Perhaps it should be called 'a little bit of everything'!!

Merine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2014, 02:07 PM   #45  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

What I love is CAS when I see it in the work others do, but I seldom pull it off myself as it usually seems like something is missing. People tell me my cards are elegant---certainly NOT cutsie. I use elements a lot, so maybe elegant and elemental? I'd like to think my cards are stylish, but that may be more of a wish than an actuality.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2014, 03:52 PM   #46  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaperPunchScissorsView Post
Natalie, I've been to your blog. Not only do you do a lovely job with pairing designer papers, I agree that your layering is also nicely done. I love the Valentine Mini Cards on your gallery. I believe you found your style (she smiles).
thank you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2014, 12:20 PM   #47  
Mad Swapper

Wow...this thread has had a bit of traffic with folks in the USA from coast to coast (and in between) as well as friends from Australia and Ireland! I had intended to comment on each and every response but quickly realized this goal was a tad more labor intensive than I had imagined.

But I've read each and every response and am making my way to each person's gallery. It's been interesting to see not only how people characterize their own style but also how others describe it.

Thanks for participating. :-)

~ Debra

Inspired Creativity Through the Ideas of Others

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 05:29 AM   #48  
Insane Embellisher

My card style changes a lot. Right now I am really into die cuts and dimensional cards. Trying a lot of different folds, and getting away from the standard flat A2. I am never really sure just what exactly a CAS card is, but I was never into the overly embellished, gaudy look. Just not me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2014, 03:55 AM   #49  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 349 Likes on 192 Posts

I bought my first card-making magazine 6 years ago and on the first few pages there was a contest. The contest required you to name your style and explain how/why you got there in 100 words or less. I am still writing my entry even though the contest has long been over. You are probably laughing but it is true! I think about it often and it comes up in conversations periodically, but I still haven't picked a style or gravitated to any one thing.

This morning I decided that I was going to figure out all the possible styles out there and decide which one fit me best. I went to Google and read tons of articles, blogs, websites, and comments - this research actually led me to this thread believe it or not. I wrote down everything I read, and this is the list I have compiled of the possible styles:

Clean and Graphic (CAG)
Clean and Simple (CAS)
Clean and Layered (CAL)
Clean and Artsy (CAA)
Clean and Quirky (CAQ)
Colorful and Technique-y (CAT)
Classy and Elegant (CAE)
Fun & Cute (FAC)
Shabby and Vintage (SAV)
Shabby
Vintage
3-D
Mixed Media
Oriental
Grunge
Freestyle Collage (FC)
Whimsical
Black and White (B/W or BAW)
Watercolor
Elegant
Modern Me
Procrastination Station (PS)
Dimensional
Untrendy
Cricut Gaudy (CG) (my favorite term btw)
Lazy and Flat (LAF)
Stylish and Elegant (SAE)

There are also artist inspired styles like Zindorf or Biggan or Kittie and there are even styles defined by the images or products such as Magnolia and Tim Holtz-y.

I love this thread because I see that so many of you are in the same boat I am in. I love all the styles, and I have delved into all of them (I even tried a complex Magnolia card with 20 layers and 50 flowers and coloring that takes 2 hours - loved it!). I can honestly say that I can't pick a favorite style - I have fun with every one of them.

Part of the problem is that I don't really make the cards - they make themselves. This will either sound familiar to you or very weird - but it is true. I get the base idea in my head and once I get out the image and the paper, the card just makes itself (I help it, of course, LOL). I may start out CAS and end up Shabby and Vintage with Watercolor that is Fun and Cute or the other way around. So I guess I am just eclectic (defined as composed of elements drawn from various sources according to Webster) - so that is what I am going to call my style: ECLECTIC.

Hugz

Last edited by nwilliams6; 11-15-2014 at 03:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2014, 09:43 AM   #50  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Card-making Style

You have definitely put alot of thought and effort into identifying your card-making style. I enjoyed reading the process you went through. You ultimately came to the same conclusion I did when you identified your style as ECLECTIC. Mine was similar; my style is "a little bit of everything"!

I love stamping and paper crafting but unfortunately, most of the friends I started stamping with have gone off in different directions so I'm not doing nearly as much as I once did. I miss it and need to get back to it.

Merine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2014, 04:06 PM   #51  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Merine,

Thanks for the comment. I would love to see your cards - post some and let me know - we can be Eclectic together. Hugz.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2014, 06:16 PM   #52  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts

Wow Nancy...that is quite a list. I think my style falls under a few of those categories but being CAS. My biggest influence for finding my style was Lateblossom aka Susan.
It took me quite awhile to find my style....I was a stalker here for yrs. I was intimidated to post here until I started playing along with challenges and realized that this hobby is for fun and therapeutic.....enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2014, 06:56 PM   #53  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can identify other peoples' style, but when it comes to my own I'm always stumped. I don't tend to do a lot of layers or coloring or use much dp. I do love natural, recycled and neutral elements. I do love to try new techniques and have grown fond of the more messy looks. I guess I'm in the eclectic boat too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2014, 05:03 AM   #54  
Die Cut Diva

Received 935 Likes on 856 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaxsixView Post
I can identify other peoples' style, but when it comes to my own I'm always stumped. I don't tend to do a lot of layers or coloring or use much dp. I do love natural, recycled and neutral elements. I do love to try new techniques and have grown fond of the more messy looks. I guess I'm in the eclectic boat too.
Welcome Aboard! It seems alot of us are falling into the same boat! That just shows we are very very creative!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2014, 07:33 AM   #55  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Gail, I haven't been to your gallery in a while and forgot how much I love your cards! You do a lot of cool techniques and your cards are very earthy and clean. I see a definite style - clean with technique for a lot of your cards - but I see you are like me and love to branch out so I think you can be in the Eclectic club too - LOL! Hugz
Reply With Quote Likes