Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-09-2010, 01:31 AM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do email solicitations get you down?

When ever I buy things the companies seem to feel it it gives them free license to bombard my inbox with solicitations.
Rather than making me want to buy more from them I want to run away from them

I just went through an unsubscribed to every single one of them except Splitcoast. And I will be "very" selective who I buy from in the future.

Have you ever just had it and unsubscribed to every one of them?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2010, 02:20 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
March 2014 Swapper of the Month

Received 1,041 Likes on 786 Posts

Usually when i am in the checkout phase of an online purchase, there is a little box that has already been 'selected' about receiving future mailings/info from that company. I just make sure I unselect it before finishing my purchase.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2010, 02:41 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh My Crafts is the only one that I have that irks me. I get 3 or 4 a day, and I never ordered from them, and have unsubscribed several times.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2010, 02:58 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

They don't really bother me, as I like to keep up to date with what is going on in the world of stamps and products. The only e-mails that annoy me are for you know what enlargements (boy bits - doh - i'm a girl you dorks) and the genuine fake watches. lol. The ones I get a real buzz from are the Nigerian scams and variations thereof. I guess you have the right sort of sense of humour. lol.

If you don't want unsolicited mail - just unsubscribe, the ones you can't unsubscribe from you should be able to report to the email supplier (hotmail, etc) as a phishing scam meaning that they are trying to get personal information from you. The email supplier is obliged to look at that sort of complaint and will usually do something about it.

JMHO, HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2010, 04:45 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

hi

I had started to fill out a form after buying something. One of those forms that say you could win ___? from them. I stopped half way into the form and deleted everything I had entered. I started to get 150, yes up to 150 a day for everything. Enlargements for male parts, women parts, dating, food, recipes, etc. I still get them, but MOST go to the spam folder, along with important emails. I opened another email for over a year now both I still get those stupid emails.

a number of years ago I needed some girl scout songs for a girl program. I went on line, typed in girl scout songs and came up with a number of sites to check out. I checked #1 and went on to #2 the search site called "girl scouts singing", so I opened that one, also. You guess it, it was a full flying stiff, a you know what from his waist to his knees. I back out at once, open #3 alright and than went on to #4. For #4 see #2, the same site. Within min. I got on the pron list and I ended up changing my email. Yes I reported this to Great Blue Heron (my council) but the person I reported this to just laughed it off. I don't think it went any further. What if I had been a 10 year old girl? What if she saw the male parts? About 6 months later there was a to do about this site from higher up. So it must have happen or national did find out somehow. No, I have not checked to see if that site is still up.

Please remember that Girls scouts is a copyright term and a legal copyrighted term and on file. This means you need it in writing from national headquarters that you have the Girl Scout's permission to use the term girl scouts.

How can I get rid of unwanted emails short of changing emails? I block and mark as spam. They just change one letter in their email address and I get the same email again. When you get 150 a day, you can not block them all.

Betty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2010, 05:17 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

having a MAC helps cut down on spam...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2010, 05:39 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

I agree with Joan....we rarely get spam. Some...but not much. And it's easy to put it on the block list.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2010, 05:50 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 668 Likes on 420 Posts

Sometimes it depends on your server too ( your internet provider) what i have found with what we pay for now alot of that kind of spam is collected in a junk mail folder on the interent and it never downloads to the computers email program ( outlook ) (so, if i am expecting mail from someone because they say we are sending photos of the tractor part that needs repaired or what ever) if i dont have it i have to go online and find it in a spam folder and tell it this is not spam... but, that folder is usually full of the enhance your body parts you dont possess mail among other things.

and yes, if i sign up for a store's "specials and coupon codes" if they email me more then once a day they get marked as spam... (there is a bead store in Oregon that is really bad like 4 or 5 piece of mail a day so it goes into that folder) and i unsubscribe.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2010, 05:53 AM   #9  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I don't get a lot of junk email regarding buying things, but I got a ton of the 'you won the lottery' or the type of email that says they are in need of someone to help them transfer thousands of dollars and they will give me money for helping them.

I was telling hubby the other day that I feel sorry for those who fall for these scams! I'm not sure either what I can do. I just delete all of the junk email I receive. Some I was able to unsubscribe to and that worked, but the scam ones I just delete.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2010, 05:59 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I actually like getting email from stamp/crafting companies I have bought from but I don't really buy a lot online.
I like to know what is when in stock, if new images are released etc. Those kind of emails I actually like getting.

I don't get a lot of junk mail in my comcast inbox, which is what I mainly use for purchase. But I do get a lot of junk in my yahoo email box which I use mainly for my blog stuff, but thank goodness the junk mail (which mostly are about having won something or someone from the other side of the globe wants to give me a large sum of money. I just ingore those and delete them from my spam folder every so often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2010, 06:03 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by terry sermanView Post
Usually when i am in the checkout phase of an online purchase, there is a little box that has already been 'selected' about receiving future mailings/info from that company. I just make sure I unselect it before finishing my purchase.
This helps a lot in not getting a bunch of junk. I have msn as my email and I hardly ever get spam. My son has yahoo and gets tons of spam a day. I don't know if its because he gives out his address to everyone he meets;) or why but I'm glad I don't cuz it drives me crazy.

Thats funny that someone mention they get alot from Oh My Crafts and never orders from them and I have ordered from them and only get stuff now and then.

Marcie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2010, 06:16 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,065 Likes on 820 Posts

I'm assuming the OP is talking about emails from companies she has bought from. Mostly I tend to check the unsubscribe box when I am ordering, but there are a few companies I am happy to have coming in, because they are not too frequent, (maybe one or two a month) and sometimes if they are for a discount I might have been saving an order waiting till I could get reduced shipping or whatever, and I am glad of the chance to avail of it.
I do remember buying a music book from a UK company, and although I unsubscribed umpteen times the emails kept coming in, and in the end I sent three snail-mail letters asking them to remove me from the list. But for all I know, they went on sending till my old address started rejecting emails because it was full.
The junk mail is a whole other problem - I definitely get a lot less on my hotmail account than on my local ISP one, and it's much easier to block any unwanted ones than it is in Thunderbird.
I also experience an aspect that problem in reverse - a couple of the main Irish ISPs are blocked by other ISPs as being suspect. It's as if my ISP decided to block all incoming mail from any Verizon email address as being junk mail - so sometimes I have to use my hotmail address even when I'd rather not.
Like Patty I feel sorry for people who fall for the scam ones - it seems hard to believe that people do, but then I can quite see my Dad believing some of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2010, 06:57 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

And when you do receive something it is so easy to bounce a message. They usually stop after that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
having a MAC helps cut down on spam...

Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2010, 07:23 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

I know with my store it isn't an automatic signup for that exact reason. I hate being opted into something automatically. You have to go to the homepage and add your email to receive the newsletter and even then, we use iContact so you can always go in and manage your preferences and opt out if you change your mind. It's one click! But yes, we put special offers and occasional coupons that are only in the newsletter to keep people interested in receiving it. It only goes out 1-2 times a month and other updates are posted on Facebook or the blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2010, 07:28 AM   #15  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
When ever I buy things the companies seem to feel it it gives them free license to bombard my inbox with solicitations.
Rather than making me want to buy more from them I want to run away from them

I just went through an unsubscribed to every single one of them except Splitcoast. And I will be "very" selective who I buy from in the future.

Have you ever just had it and unsubscribed to every one of them?
Yep - all the ones except the ones with coupons.

I've even created 2 email accounts - one that I use when I have to enter something online, and one that I only hand out to friends and family. That way I only have to wade through the spam if I need to check on an order or grab a coupon.

Stamp Revolution

http://stamprevolution.com

More stamps for more people!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2010, 07:40 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

I have a Mac and don't get spam or adult material . I have my preferences set to refuse text or pictures of elicit material.

I have a couple of companies I want their emails, but the ones that irk me are the ones where I ordered one thing and then I get emails several times a week from them .
I had 5 craft companies I ordered "one" thing in the past year and never signed up for a newsletter yet I get emails from them non-stop.

Over a year ago I ordered one thing from Overstock .com Every day and sometimes twice a day I get a "one day only sale" offer for things I never use
I have an HP printer and they are pests too.

The rewards cards are also a nuisance . I have reward cards from Office Depot; Office Max and K-Mart/Sears. They send emails all the time . I unsubscribed to those too. If I miss a sale then so be it.

Thanks I will check for the OPT out feature next time I order from someone new.

When companies had to pay postage and printing cost to send solicitations they were more selective. Now email is almost free.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2010, 08:46 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampRevView Post
Yep - all the ones except the ones with coupons.

I've even created 2 email accounts - one that I use when I have to enter something online, and one that I only hand out to friends and family. That way I only have to wade through the spam if I need to check on an order or grab a coupon.
I have a Yahoo email set up for online ordering, etc. Even then, though, some companies send too much IMO and I will unsubscribe. I don't mind a monthly email, but several times per week or more is a bit much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't mind getting some of them. Like the ones I subscribe to.

But every once in awhile I will get some from places. I've never heard of.

I never open them. Cause I have no idea what's inside the email. Don't want to cause any harm to our computer.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2010, 10:13 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for all your comments! I have a small stamp company and we only email to people if they have actually signed up for the newsletter, not just because they purchased. It's nice to see that we have made the right decision. Most marketing people will tell you otherwise and to capture those emails right away for future solicitations. I agree, it's intrusive. Great discussion ladies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2010, 10:47 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarcyDView Post
Thanks for all your comments! I have a small stamp company and we only email to people if they have actually signed up for the newsletter, not just because they purchased. It's nice to see that we have made the right decision. Most marketing people will tell you otherwise and to capture those emails right away for future solicitations. I agree, it's intrusive. Great discussion ladies!
I agree. If I sign up for a news letter that is fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2010, 12:01 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have 3 email accounts, actually 4 but never use yahoo, it can get hacked. Hotmail is the catch all, gmail, I use for online ordering and then my internet provider account, which only family and some friends use. I love the new set up with hotmail's sweep feature easy to clean up all the facebook etc and email group mails. Gmail has come out with priority mail feature. It is the work email that get most of the "male enhancement", buy drugs etc junk mail.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2010, 09:05 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

This very thing keeps me from going to some sites. I had bought something from a shopping channel and they asked for my email address and I told them I would not give that out. About a week later I got email from them. I called them and let's just say I was not real nice about it. This is an invasion on my privacy. I don't get Spam I have a new Dell laptop and a great local internet host. I just had to put in my 2 cents in!
Reply With Quote Likes