Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-05-2011, 08:00 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do any of you....

Do any of you ever want to sell all your wood mounted sets? I have started using digitals so much and love that they take no space. I am living in a much smaller house than I used to and could use that space. I used to love the wood mounted stamps but not so much any more... :(

It's in the Cards! My Blog

Pinterest
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 03:08 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,060 Likes on 816 Posts

Definitely not for me. I'll say that not all mine are actually wood-mounted, some are on cling - but I love a wood block with the sticker. I also like having to work with what I have instead of finding the perfect digi. I have bought them a few times when I just couldn't get where I needed with anything on hand, but my personal preference is for old-fashioned stamping. Maybe it's because I was doing digi cards way back 15, 16 years ago and moved into stamping from there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 03:19 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

No way. I've started buying unmounted more and more, but I'd never give up my wood-mounted stamps. I have a good number of better quality clear stamps, but I'm generally not a fan of them. I'm also not a fan of digital stamps. I have some, and I've tried them; but they aren't the same thing, and I can't do many techniques with them. If you like them, though, I say go for it. We all have our likes and dislikes; and if digital stamps work best for you, then you should stick with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 03:30 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't have many wood-mounted; I prefer rubber on cling mount and have lots of those While I do also have & use some digi stamps, and I agree that they have some advantages (storage, being able to resize and flip the image as needed), I can't see myself ever getting rid of my physical stamps. There are too many things I can do with the actual stamps that I can't do with digis, for example:

- Stamp into a puddle of melted embossing powder or hot glue to make a faux wax seal
- Resist techniques (either clear embossing or stamping with resist ink and then brayering over with colored ink so the image stays clear)
- Embossing - I've only been able to get this to work when printing on vellum, and even then all I could think about was the powder getting somewhere in the printer that it didn't belong and breaking it.

There are other things, too, where I could simulate the effect with a graphics program (like coloring the stamp with watercolor crayons, misting it, and then stamping for a watercolor look), but that doesn't give me the same satisfaction as doing it with the actual stamp.

But, if you have no interest in doing those kinds of things, and you find that you're not really using your wood-mount stamps anymore, I can see why you'd be thinking about getting rid of them. Myself, I'd pack them up into a plastic tote and move them out of my crafting area for a while, to make sure I really didn't want them anymore, before I did anything permanent.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 07:15 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I love my stamps and use them to make wrapping paper and gift bags so they work for me. If space if an issue and you enjoy creating with digital images, then go for it. I am so not computer savy....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 07:23 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

I would not consider this as an option for me........but if you don't use them ...then sell them...........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 07:51 AM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

I love my wood block stamps! And I love cling. I do like digi stamps and own a few, but I find that I gravitate towards rubber.. I would never get rid of them unless I never used them. I plan on getting rid of a few stamps as blog candy instead of selling them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 08:05 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd say I'm using digi more than my regular stamps too, but I wouldn't sell my stamps just because I'm a hoarder. I've unmounted all my stamps and that has made a huge - HUGE - difference in how much space they take up. I'm not attached to the wood like a lot of people, so it didn't bother me at all to get rid of the wood mounts. I personally find they work way better without them. I always tipped my stamps on the blocks and ruined the images. Took me a couple tries to get a clean image. I never have that problem with digis.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 08:30 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

me too.....
I have slowly started switching over to digi's. I have already unmounted all my stamps, and they do take up way less space. Digi's take no space. Now if I could convince DH to let me have a stamp room all bets would be off!! LOL :-P
I have to agree tho that there are too many techniques that you just need some form of rubber for. But for coloring images I like digi's all the way...

MY BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 09:04 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I could never get rid of my stamps- mounted or unmounted, doesn't matter. As someone said further up, there is so much you can do with real stamps, all you can do with digis is print & colour. I'd miss all the other techniques way too much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 09:24 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

I have started to play with digi images. Yes they are fun and need no "physical" space to store them. BUT I would never think to sell my wood stamp sets because

#1 I could never find the exact image to replace in digi

#2 there are other "techniques" to use in stamping besides stamp and color -ykwim

## BIG Note to save digi's on thumb drive as if your hard drive ever crash all digis are lost with everything else of course.

Trust Me in a 10 year period we had 3 hard drives we had to replace because of viruses. Granted fire walls and other protection has be upgraded greatly, but still always back up your digis!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 11:12 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

i thought about this too.... but i love the fact that i can take a set of stamps and inks to a crop or something and not have to worry about printing a bunch of digital images ahead of time or what have you .i'm not that organized and hardly know what i want on a card until the last 2 minutes lol. plus it also lets the people i crop with use my stamps/stuff if they wanted.plus if my comp crashes or something crazy i haven't lost my images for good, I'm not overly computer suave. yeah it does take up space but for me it just easier ...just my opinion
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 11:34 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

If you want to sell them, do. Many of us (myself included) would sooner gnaw a limb off our first-born than part with a stamp, but that is what works for us. Personally, I haven't used digital art (sorry - they're NOT stamps!) as I use graphics all the time at work and enjoy the physical act of putting ink on rubber and rubber on paper. I am a very tactile person, and that's part of what I love - the feeling of wood in my hand is somehow relaxing to me. I also love all the stuff I can do with my stamps. I have lovingly selected stamps with a nice variety of images that work for me and what I use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Thank you to all of you who have left your comments, some very good points that I hadn't thought of listed here. There are somethings you must have true rubber for. I am just finding that right now I am using more digital and maybe that is because they are so readily available and I live in a very remote area that I can't run to the store and buy new images. I have seen that many people have unmounted their stamps and maybe it should be a consideration for me. The task seems to be an overwhelming thought though, it would take time away from true stamping! LOL

It's in the Cards! My Blog

Pinterest
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZstampcrazyView Post
Do any of you ever want to sell all your wood mounted sets? I have started using digitals so much and love that they take no space. I am living in a much smaller house than I used to and could use that space. I used to love the wood mounted stamps but not so much any more... :(

NO! But I mostly use unmounted Rubber stamps. Which don't take up that much space.

I love adding layers of paper and ribbon, flowers, brads, etc.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #16  
Glitter Queen

You know how to take your stamps off the wood right? If you do that and put them on the new, thin Cling-Mount, they'll take up a lot less space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2011, 06:02 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

I love my wood mounts and will keep them forever! I only have bought clear mount from SU because they are cheaper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2011, 02:53 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Eventually, I'll sell off the wood-mounted sets I have, or convert them to cling or bare rubber. I really prefer clear stamps. I even prefer the cheap, non-photopolymer (lower quality) clear sets to wood-mounts or clings. I have a crappy printer, so I don't like digis for now.

I have room, but when I'm going to a friend's house to stamp, that is when I take the thin sets (clears and clings) with me and leave behind the bulky sets (wood-mounts).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2011, 11:55 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too love digis and have considered selling off a fair share of my wood mount stamps. The trouble for me is, there's money invested in these sets, and with the economy the way it is, I would get back a tiny fraction of what I paid. Not like I want to make a bunch of money, but it seems better to keep them since I have space than to nearly give them away. I'd donate to a charity before doing that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #20  
Mad Swapper

I'm not planning on getting rid of my wood stamps, however I have started to buy unmounted rubber when ever availalbe. I don't care as much for the clear cling, but have those as well if I liked the set.

Just think, a hundred years from now our wood mounted stamps could become antique collectables...everyone has gone digital.
Reply With Quote Likes