Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-09-2007, 01:58 PM   #81  
Gallery Gazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have bought quite a bit less with the two catalogs. However, I have been stamping for 7 years and have sooooo many stamp sets that I just don't need as much and also have learned better what to buy, so that is partly why I have bought less stamps, which has nothing to do with the two catties!

I wasn't able to hostess a party for this catty, though and had to go to ebay to purchase the hostess set I wanted, that didn't make me happy! ($20 for a level 1 set, plus postage!) This is the very first time I have only gotten one hostess set and I didn't even earn it!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2007, 02:08 PM   #82  
Die Cut Diva

Received 180 Likes on 57 Posts

I think it's too early to make any conclusions about the 2-catty system. Even if you find yourself not liking much in the current catty, and have been buying less than you typically have at the 5-month mark, the Spring-Summer one might knock your socks off, and you might buy a ton. So overall, for the one-year period, you might buy more. It's too early to know right now.

I can't wait to see the new catty! I love to see new stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2007, 02:36 PM   #83  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by acableView Post
jeaniebean55 expressed my thoughts exactly!

I can't afford to buy everything I would like to have in 6 months, so I have to be choosy, which means I buy less than I would have previously from one cataloge.

As for style, one of my favorite things about SU is that they appeal to almost any stamper. They are still my favorite stamp company, for sure!
Ditto what they said! I'm a hobby demo and I feel that I'm saturated with all the stamps that I need (remember, I said "need" not "want"...lol ). I am now purchasing more accessories than stamps, and I also wait to see whether I really love a set before buying it. Plus there are quite a few new sets that are similar to those that I have so I will pass those up. But I'm a sucker for punches, so I have them all and keep buying the new ones too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2007, 03:14 PM   #84  
Hardware Hotshot

It hasn't changed by buying habits, although it may end up being more than normal, but I can't really say for sure since I haven't seen the second catty yet. Personally I love that we have two catalogs a year now. In the past I normally get pretty tired of the catalog towards the end. The same stamp sets, the same samples...same hostess sets, etc. I'm really looking forward to the second catalog:mrgreen:.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2007, 04:03 PM   #85  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by CknODaCView Post
I try not to repeat for my clubs as well... workshops? sure, I can repeat the set during those unless it is the same group rebooking... then I change it up. So between my two monthly clubs I try and use something new each time.... it gets costly!
With multiple stamps per set, I find some (like Lovely as a Tree) are so versitle I use them over and over again, even with the same groups of people! If you stick with the classics, they do not go out of style (yes, I also wear chinos and polo-style shirts!)

I used to charge $9.95 per catalog (this amount is actually printed on the back of the catalog as the suggested retail price), but with 2 per year, I am now only charging $5 each. As has been mentioned above, we do have to pay for them, no we do not get a discount on business supplies, and yes we want to make even a little money for our troubles. After shipping and taxes, I do not think 50 cents per catalog is a lot of profit.

As to the original post, I am personally buying less, but that has nothing to do with 2 catalogs. It has everything to do with Uncle Sam and me staying a business instead of a hobby. ;-)

I am looking forward to the new catalog in a few weeks!
My blog:
The Crooked Stamper
Dear spell-checker, "bling" is SO a word. Pffth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 03:31 AM   #86  
Matboard Maniac

Default Wow, silly me

Quote:

Originally Posted by PBakerView Post
So then why do you care if SU has 1 catalog, 2 catalogs, or 10 catalogs?? You aren't buying anything anyway. The OP is asking everyone what they think about SU having 2 catalogs a year and how it effects their purchases. If you aren't buying anything then 2 catalogs a year wouldn't have any effect on your purchases.
I had assumed the OP was asking for anyone's opinion. I pray that you don't have to face the life challenges we have had in my household and that money is never an issue for you. I own lots of SU for not being a demo and up to the year before the change, purchased regularly including the catalog every year. Guess your rudeness is my fault, I should have said that in the first place.
Hmm, wonder why I don't post more often??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 03:47 AM   #87  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShanonView Post
<---thinks Joan needs to get off that darn fence and sign up to be a demo again.
LOL

My DH convinced me NOT to rejoin. So, I'm officially off the fence!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 06:11 AM   #88  
Polyshrink Goddess

Interesting question- I think consumers as a whole have changed their stamping/scrapping spending lately. Lots of peoples discretionary spending dollars are less. Lots of people have huge stashes so they are purchasing less.So I think companies have to work harder than ever to get people to buy their stuff.

I haven't like the SU! stamps for the last couple of years as much as I used to. I don't like the simple line drawings nor the cutsie stuff. I do love wood and rubber vs a lot of the acrylics out there so that makes me want to use SU! more. So in a way since I want to be more careful spending my $$ and I like less of their stamps percentage wise than in the past I've been less 'tempted" by the SU! cattys for the last few years.

Going to 2x a year is a plus for me. I like that they can keep up with the trends better than w/1 a year. I keep hoping that the "new" catty will have less simple line drawings and more to tempt me so if I'm not thrilled w/ the catty it isn't too long to wait... I love the patterned paper and do as much if not more scrapbooking than I do card making and the extra catty gives me lots more great pp.

the 2 cattys made me spend more on sb supplies than in the past. But I think I've bought less stamps than in the past.

I don't "care" about retiring cuz I'm not a demo. I occassionally meet w/folks for shoebox swaps and the extra retiring list makes that tough. But I do know I am runnng out of storage space and that is making me more judicious in my purchases.

I really really really dislike the in color idea! I don't like them retiring especially if they don't offer the colors in spots ( I know ladies here have posted buying blank spots but I haven't gotten around to that yet.) So do we think SU! reads this website and will get our feedback or even cares??

Andrea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 07:37 AM   #89  
Glitter Guru

Location: It's a bird, it's a plane ... no.... it's SUPERPUG!! Coming to an SS near you!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv my dollyView Post
Demo cost is about $4.50 depending on what your tax rate is. Yes, we have to purchase these. I give most of mine out for free.

I absolutely love two catalogs a year!!
I wanted to chime in with the cost issue. I hope you guys are writing off the cost of your catalogs! They are costs of running your biz. So, in theory, these catalogs should cost $4.50 less tax deduction (unless that's what Barb was referring to). Anyway, just wanted to put that thought out there too.

Barb, you're so great! Thank you for sending me a FREE catalog. She really does give her catalogs out. How nice is that???!!!! ***SMOOCH***
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 08:03 AM   #90  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
LOL

My DH convinced me NOT to rejoin. So, I'm officially off the fence!
Really? Interesting! Did he have some persuasive reasons for that, Joan?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 08:07 AM   #91  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't think it's the 2-catty per year thing that has reduced my SU purchases. I think it's more that I quit Stamp Club and that I'm headed in a different direction. I agree with that others have posted in that I also just have so many SU stamps that I really am starting to think twice about the purchases I do decide to make. I love their backgrounds, though, but really prefer unmounted rubber now. I can get some similar background stamps unmounted through CHF, help save a twig or two, and not have to store anything extra like a bulky case and un-needed wood block. Still love SU cardstock and will always keep purchasing that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 08:31 AM   #92  
Die Cut Diva

It made me buy that much more! I loved having so many more Holiday stamps in the Fall/ Winter and now I cant wait to see the full Spring/ Summer.

If any of you knew how much I spent this year it might make you throw up a little. I know my DH almost did at first!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 08:32 AM   #93  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Catty

I'm with Novell - I'm not sure if the change in my buying habits is me or the new system. I'm still in a stamp camp so I still buy $25 worth every other month and that gets me my catties for free (thank goodness).
I'm also seeing a shift in my priorities and where I spend my money.

I was surprised that some of the "newest" stuff is already retiring. So I'll have to decide if there is something I really, really want before they go away.

A note to Maxiesmom - please don't let one snarky response mess with you - there are still a lot of friendly, generous, caring people in this world (and on SCS).
My grandmother uses to say "out of the heart, the mouth speaks"

Merry Christmas to you!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 08:49 AM   #94  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by AuburnTigerTNView Post
I'm with Novell - I'm not sure if the change in my buying habits is me or the new system. I'm still in a stamp camp so I still buy $25 worth every other month and that gets me my catties for free (thank goodness).
I'm also seeing a shift in my priorities and where I spend my money.

I was surprised that some of the "newest" stuff is already retiring. So I'll have to decide if there is something I really, really want before they go away.

A note to Maxiesmom - please don't let one snarky response mess with you - there are still a lot of friendly, generous, caring people in this world (and on SCS).
My grandmother uses to say "out of the heart, the mouth speaks"

Merry Christmas to you!!!
Your stamp camp is $25 every OTHER month??? Wow that's a good deal.

My upline had us move to $30 every month up from $15 and that's one of the things that pushed me over to the demo side.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 09:05 AM   #95  
Kookie Creator

I buy less stamp sets now, because if what I happen to pick is retired in 6 mos, I know that *for the most part* demos won't be using that set, and there will be less ideas generated in the future for that set in the gallery.

I wait on some sets now to see if they are going to retire or not. If they don't, I'd be more inclined to buy those sets that are *nice to have, but not a must* because I know demos will still create with them.

Of course there are those sets I buy anyway, cause I love em so much, but for me, part of the comfort of buying a set is that I know if I hit a wall with it creativity-wise, I can come here for ideas. When a set is retired I think it's fair to say that the possibility for more and more new ideas with that set diminishes a bit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 09:10 AM   #96  
Insane Embellisher

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default An apology

I will admit that I was wrong in my response to Maxiesmom. I should have worded my response more carefully. My response to her came across much ruder than I intended it to and my only reason for responding was because there seems to be a mob mentality (sometimes) against SU and anything they do. However, it doesn�t excuse my rudeness and for that I sincerely apologize to her and anyone else I offended by my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 09:28 AM   #97  
Forum Fanatic

It hasn't changed my habits- since my habit has always been to place a big order at SAB. But I think this is the first catalog that I haven't ordered anything out of since I started stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 09:40 AM   #98  
Compulsive Stamper

It didn't change my habits with the Fall/Winter catty. BUT, now that things I ordered in the past two months and haven't even demoed yet are being retired, it has definitely made me re-think the whole thing. I was also upset when the policy came up that the hostess sets were to be retired and not put into the new catty. I have a stamp group and people who won't 'hostess' until spring, won't have a chance at the fall/winter hostess sets. Same with those who served as hostess this fall, they won't get a crack at the spring hostess sets. And no, they cannot afford to hostess both seasons.

I am re-thinking being a demo.

B
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 09:43 AM   #99  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

I will admit that I was wrong in my response to Maxiesmom. I should have worded my response more carefully. My response to her came across much ruder than I intended it to and my only reason for responding was because there seems to be a mob mentality (sometimes) against SU and anything they do. However, it doesn�t excuse my rudeness and for that I sincerely apologize to her and anyone else I offended by my opinion.
Tricia, a very gracious post. Really, we've all (well I have) posted stuff here and on line that we wish we could take back or at least re-word!

And to respond to Julie HRR who asked why my DH talked me out of re joining SU.

I shared with him something Cammie wrote, which was that it was hard to submit stuff to magazines with SU products because the publication dates were so far in advance.

Although I've never submitted anything to a magazine, and he has no clue how great the stuff is that is published, he told me to keep working on my stamping and not limit myself to any one company, not worry about the "money," and that I should keep my options open.

What can I say, he's blinded by love!!. . . .:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 09:58 AM   #100  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Joan B
Sounds like you have a Very Sweet Hubby!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 09:58 AM   #101  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Tricia, a very gracious post. Really, we've all (well I have) posted stuff here and on line that we wish we could take back or at least re-word!

I shared with him something Cammie wrote, which was that it was hard to submit stuff to magazines with SU products because the publication dates were so far in advance.

Although I've never submitted anything to a magazine, and he has no clue how great the stuff is that is published, he told me to keep working on my stamping and not limit myself to any one company, not worry about the "money," and that I should keep my options open.

Good man.

;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 10:20 AM   #102  
Matboard Maniac

I bought less with this past catty only because I didn't like ANY of the stamps. OK, I did like the Voila accessories and I did get that, but only that. I really hope the new one will be better, but looking at the preview...I'm still stuck! Time to try out CTMH I suppose!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 11:07 AM   #103  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by BorchkinsView Post
It didn't change my habits with the Fall/Winter catty. BUT, now that things I ordered in the past two months and haven't even demoed yet are being retired, it has definitely made me re-think the whole thing. I was also upset when the policy came up that the hostess sets were to be retired and not put into the new catty. I have a stamp group and people who won't 'hostess' until spring, won't have a chance at the fall/winter hostess sets. Same with those who served as hostess this fall, they won't get a crack at the spring hostess sets. And no, they cannot afford to hostess both seasons.

I am re-thinking being a demo.

B
I love that they are getting new hostess stamp sets. Lots of new stamps to play with, and you don't have to spend a year staring at the same stamp sets.

Plus, Time Well Spent alone is enough for the spring hostesses to look forward to. It is great fun new set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 11:32 AM   #104  
Die Cut Diva

I really only bought some of the In Colors (not all though) - I think those were the only new items I purchased from July's catty - AND I didn't order that for months!

I liked some sets in the catty, but nothing said "BUY IMMEDIATELY!" to me. I have so many sets I haven't used & some that aren't even cut/mounted (GASP!) :mrgreen:

I don't mind the 2 catty's - I don't feel any pressure to buy something just because it's retiring (unless of course I really LOVE it). I think the timing is kind of a bummer though. January 1st is just too close to Christmas, I don't have it in the budget to spend on myself.

Maybe if SU wanted to rotate things more, rather than trying to do catty's July 1st & January 1st - they could pick something like April & September to debut new catty's. I just think Jan 1st is tough on a lot of people due to the holidays.

My .02 - that's all! :-)

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 12:57 PM   #105  
Polyshrink Goddess

Good post PBaker
If I've learned one things on SCS (other than how to spend money) - it's that emails and blogs and posts are NOT good forms of communication because you don't have any clue what the person on the receiving end is dealing with at the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 01:49 PM   #106  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

After the cruddy day I had I want to thank you for posting an apology. Your comment didn't offend me but I do want to say that if more people apologized the world would be a better, and much less stressful, place. Thank you for restoring some of my faith in people.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 02:18 PM   #107  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

It takes a very strong and GOOD person to apologize. We all have hard days and big mouths but most people on here also have big HEARTS too.

I LOVE SU! I hope i didn't offend anyone with my post. Just dont buy as much for the retiring too fast reason is all. I still do buy some sets (and love them) and I absolutely LOVE their cardstock, ribbon, classic stamp pads, etc. I am a SU color snob for sure!

I wish them luck with their new system--one good thing about the new catalogs is that we get to see lots more eye candy in the beautiful samples in each issue!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 02:19 PM   #108  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Can I have him when you are done with him??? Sounds like a good one you got there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 04:52 PM   #109  
Glitter Guru

Location: It's a bird, it's a plane ... no.... it's SUPERPUG!! Coming to an SS near you!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CammieView Post
Can I have him when you are done with him??? Sounds like a good one you got there!
I want him after! Yikes. What a wonderful, loving man. That's so sweet.

And I just wanted to chime in about the interaction - I totally know things are affecting us as we type and that sometimes changes our tone. It's totally understandable and, well, I was so touched to see everyone's gracious understanding and support. I don't want to make a bigger deal of it, but I just had to say that this really shows what big hearts the posters have here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 05:41 PM   #110  
Mad Swapper

ABSOLUTELY -- on all counts!! Have no fear, the 'eyes & ears' are here... :mrgreen: (I'm not one, BTW)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ekip2View Post
So do we think SU! reads this website and will get our feedback or even cares??

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 06:13 PM   #111  
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Skype™ to nadine529

I definitely bought less, but it has nothing to do with 2 cattys. I'm just sick of the same flower, flourishes, circular things and stick figure/kiddie stamps sets. I really miss the vintage, classy style stamp images that you could watercolor.

I'm pretty much a hobby demo. I haven't done a workshop in a long time. I'm looking forward to the new catty, but don't even think I'll be making my quota for this quarter. Hopefully when the new catty comes out, I'll love it enough to cover my shortage and stay active. If this one is the same as the last, I do believe I'll be hanging up my SU! hat. Of course, I've said that the last 3 quarters and always manage to squeak out my quota.

C'est moi, c'est tout.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2007, 07:05 PM   #112  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have found a demonstrator that only charges her cost for the catalog. Last July I bought a catty from a demo I had worked with for a while and she charged the full price! I won't do that again! I like 2 catalogs. I am now at the point that I am very selective about the stamp sets I buy and have been buying more paper, accessories and punches than stamp sets. I buy from several different companies; it gives me more variety in my stamp sets.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2007, 07:24 PM   #113  
Polyshrink Goddess

Buying less and using what I already have...makes DH really happy!!

My motto for life: "Less is More"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2007, 07:37 PM   #114  
Hardware Hotshot

First I buy what I like no matter which company makes it. I am also a hobby demo for SU so I am obligated to myself. If I have a workshop for friends or family that helps me with my quota so to speak.

I did not think I would like the 2 catalog thing. I got my demo-ship (is that a word?) right at the transition. I was not that thrilled with the first catalog, but I did find some things that I wanted. The second catty may be a different story who knows? I think the buying habits are really dictated by each persons' budget.
Proud mom of 2 soldiers-
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 04:33 AM   #115  
Pearl-ExPert

Having the retired list this month is just awful, so I would like it to change my buying habits but it doesn't.

My family does not buy from SU. If I were to buy my own stamps for Christmas which I normally do, it would not be something I would open Christmas morning as a "surprise" - not fun to do in front of MIL who I have to share Xmas with.

DH normally tells me to place an order in Jan during SAB as Xmas because of the SAB special, I can order a hostess order and get my free sets as well.

I am really bummed because I either need to split up my order and order some ones I want that are retiring, or go over budget and do both. I am not willing to do that for the sake of the retired sets -- though I might change my mind next week and get a couple sets I keep staring at.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 06:00 PM   #116  
Glitter Queen

I bought way less......Afraid it will retire so soon and become useless as a business tool. Although I was always ready for the new catty every July, I was still loving things in June. I am afraid these 2 semi cattys have not evoked as much love from me either. Same old same old, I feel. Maybe we need some new designers. I miss roses in winter and watercolor garden and tulips! I miss lovely leaves and autumn leaf prints, etc.
Another thing irking me lately is retiring a set, and then introducing almost the same thing...like French script goes and in comes the new french word stamp...a demo like myself may get rid of french script and then find she could have kept it as a "this is retires but there is a current set just like it" stamp. Irritating. I just keep sending my opinion to ds. No sense complaining unless you do it to those who can bring about a change
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 06:06 PM   #117  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm trying to concentrate more on buying ink pads and paper this year. I'm not a demo but I feel like one catalog a year is plenty. I know all the companies seem to be ramping things up and introducing many new stamps throughout the year to keep the feeding frenzy ramped up. I just don't think two big catalogs a year is necessary when they are already doing mini catalogs.

How many hearts and flowers does one person need? I like to see new things but most of the people who get my cards have no idea of what is new or cool in the stamping world so anything handmade is appreciated.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 06:19 PM   #118  
Pearl-ExPert

Not really....I still buy what I like when I want it. More stamp sets per year means more stamps I potentially want. Good for my demo!
Reply With Quote Likes