Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: Do you think I am trying to start a war?
Yes 36 34.29%
No 69 65.71%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2006, 03:52 PM   #161  
Forum Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SherryLC05
I would spend that much on dinner out so - why not go to a stamp camp instead and learn how to improve my skills in something I love to do!!
This is exactly what I said to my husband about the stamp camp I went to last week. (The camp was $10, or free if you placed a $35 order... so I went with the order) Dinner and drinks with friends, a cab home easily $35. I spend the same amount of time with my friends, skipped the drinks and cab and spent the money on something I will use more than once.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 03:56 PM   #162  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJStamper
Huh? She never said she didn't care what her customers think. :confused:
No, she never came out and said she didn't care what HER customers thought. However, several times when a Non-demo voices an opinion on this thread she seems to take offense to it. If you are going to be in a customer service driven business- you just need to accept the fact that customers want certain things. The fact of the matter is that while she is technically "her own boss" as a HBB owner the customer is really the boss if she wants to make money. I am a customer and I have viewpoints too. She doesn't like them. That's ok. She's not my demo and if my demo didn't care what I thought- I would spend my $$ with a demo who did. My demo does care. My demo would NEVER ask me to bring my own supplies to a workshop or a stamp camp that I paid a supply fee for. It is my opinion that to do so is wrong. It is Fool4Scrappin's right to disagree. She obviously doesn't care what I think even though I'm a customer- but I'm not HER customer so that's ok.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 04:24 PM   #163  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Well, I am truly sorry if my post upset you so much that you couldn't even respond until this morning. I am very glad to hear that you let your customers try everything- that is wonderful! My demo is so awesome about that and I can honestly tell you that I have had to get a new job making more money to support my stamping habit because she is so good about it!! I absolutely want my demo to make money off of my orders and if you were my demo I would wish the same. However, from a customer's stand point I would be highly offended if she charged me a supply fee for a stamp camp AND ask me to bring my own supplies whether it be adhesive, ink or what have you. It has nothing to do with me wanting her to lose money, I would never want that. She is an absolute wonderful demo who is a stay-at-home mom and I don't want to take advantage of her generosity. I would however, appreciate that if I pay a "supply fee" then ALL of my supplies would be covered. Fortunately, the only stamp camp I went to did provide all the supplies. One demo did mention something about not using too much but since I am not an adhesive junkie- she didn't say it to me and she wasn't really "policing" how much everyone used- she just mentioned it. No one here including the poster wants demos to lose out on $$ but there is a certain way to treat your customers. Better customer service = more sales = more profits. I would rather pay a higher supply fee than have to worry with bringing my own supplies. As a customer, I am there to have fun and try the products so I can order them (and I always do....) from my demo- I shouldn't have to worry if I brought the right supplies with me.

I am just giving you a customer's perspective and I am really sorry it upset you so much. But if you don't really care what customer's think- maybe you shouldn't be a demo. JMHO.
I think you misread my posts. I NEVER tell my customers to bring their own. I did, however, state that I might have to raise the camp fee to cover the over use of adhesive. My fees cover everything... the cover the food, room rent, product used, and any additional supplies I need that SU doesn't offer. It covers EVERYTHING. However my posts did say that I didn't think it was fair to have some customers over use the adhesive which should have been MORE than enough for everyone, and I had some customers who didn't get to finish their projects because of it. I was extremely embarrassed, and felt I needed to make it up to them by purchasing an additional roll EACH.. That was another $50 on top of the $100 I had already spent on adhesive for the camp. (My camps generally have 25-30 people in attendance... 8 rolls x 10 yds = 80 yds or 240 feet. At this particular camp, that was approx. 10 FEET per person.. should have been PLENTY.) Now you tell me, if YOU were one of the customers that didn't get to finish your projects, wouldn't you be pretty miffed too? My customers were wonderful, and insisted I didn't need to give them the rolls to finish, but I couldn't NOT give them the supplies they paid for with their registration....

and I just don't get the last comment you made at all... VERY confused by that one...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 04:26 PM   #164  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

I do not know anyone who has used a whole thing of snail in a camp OR workshop!! (I go to a workshop about every 3-4 weeks....) But honestly- I would absolutely do a camp for $20!! I am a single Mom and I don't get to go out much so some time with other stampers making cards is great! (adult conversation with someone who isn't rolling their eyes at you.....Wow! What fun!!!) I would spend that much on dinner out so - why not go to a stamp camp instead and learn how to improve my skills in something I love to do!! I have only been to one stamp camp but I had a great time. We made awesome cards that I would have never thought I would be able to make- but I did!! I paid a fee and all my supplies were provided for me. I had a great time and learned a lot. It was definitely worth the $$.
I see another reason for your misunderstanding of my posts... my stamp camps ALWAYS feature an advanced 3D project that requires MUCH more than snail to complete... my last camp had 3 cards, a star book, and a votive wrap, not "all cards"...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 04:32 PM   #165  
Die Cut Diva

I would say if you are using my adhesive you are using too much. If you want to buy your own use as much as you want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 04:36 PM   #166  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

No, she never came out and said she didn't care what HER customers thought. However, several times when a Non-demo voices an opinion on this thread she seems to take offense to it. If you are going to be in a customer service driven business- you just need to accept the fact that customers want certain things. The fact of the matter is that while she is technically "her own boss" as a HBB owner the customer is really the boss if she wants to make money. I am a customer and I have viewpoints too. She doesn't like them. That's ok. She's not my demo and if my demo didn't care what I thought- I would spend my $$ with a demo who did. My demo does care. My demo would NEVER ask me to bring my own supplies to a workshop or a stamp camp that I paid a supply fee for. It is my opinion that to do so is wrong. It is Fool4Scrappin's right to disagree. She obviously doesn't care what I think even though I'm a customer- but I'm not HER customer so that's ok.
I think you are VERY mistaken on what I do and don't want to hear. I just think you jumped to some wrong conclusions, and basically started to flame me because I wanted to be properly reimbursed for the supplies I DO let my customers use at my camps. I am SO SORRY you misread my posts, but I think you are the ONLY one who did...

and the only thing I took offense in your original post to me was the fact that you basically said I should eat that cost, no big deal, claim it on my taxes... and implied that I had NO RIGHT to be upset if some of my customers were shorted due to some adhesive overuse. THAT is what I took offense to, since I am obviously already losing money by undercharging for my camps, I will NEVER make that back by claiming it as a loss on my taxes... so you can think what you will, but you misread the post and came to some very erroneous conclusions....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 04:46 PM   #167  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by fool4scrapping
I think you misread my posts. I NEVER tell my customers to bring their own. I did, however, state that I might have to raise the camp fee to cover the over use of adhesive. My fees cover everything... the cover the food, room rent, product used, and any additional supplies I need that SU doesn't offer. It covers EVERYTHING. However my posts did say that I didn't think it was fair to have some customers over use the adhesive which should have been MORE than enough for everyone, and I had some customers who didn't get to finish their projects because of it. I was extremely embarrassed, and felt I needed to make it up to them by purchasing an additional roll EACH.. That was another $50 on top of the $100 I had already spent on adhesive for the camp. (My camps generally have 25-30 people in attendance... 8 rolls x 10 yds = 80 yds or 240 feet. At this particular camp, that was approx. 10 FEET per person.. should have been PLENTY.) Now you tell me, if YOU were one of the customers that didn't get to finish your projects, wouldn't you be pretty miffed too? My customers were wonderful, and insisted I didn't need to give them the rolls to finish, but I couldn't NOT give them the supplies they paid for with their registration....

and I just don't get the last comment you made at all... VERY confused by that one...

Of course I would be miffed- but why is it MY responsiblity to pay for those who abused?? I can completely understand that you were embarassed and that it cost you money. However, the opinion that I have shared on this thread has been that if I pay a supply fee for a camp then I shouldn't have to bring my own supplies. Period. I am not an adhesive abuser and I am very polite and mindful when I am using other people's products but I will use enough to keep my card together. It is all right to be upset that you didn't have enough for your customers but unfortunately that just means that next time you will have to charge more and bring more adhesive. I'm not saying you weren't prepared and that people didn't abuse I'm just saying as a customer I would be upset if I were asked to bring my own supplies to a stamp camp that I paid a supply for. Period. Regardless of how much or hot little I used.
And by the way- I would not have let you give me the roll of adhesive if I were one of those customers who did not get to finish their project either. I wouldn't have accepted it. And I am sure you were embarassed. And again- I am truly sorry that happened to you.

To clarify the last comment is this- I am a customer and I have an opinion. If you are wise you can listen to my opinion (and others on this board) and use the information to better serve your customers. I am not saying that you do not already serve them well. I have no idea. What I am saying is- be more open to other people's opinions and not so quick to judge. Even if you don't agree maybe you can still find something useful in them because afterall- customers are the driving force of your business. That's all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 05:09 PM   #168  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

To clarify the last comment is this- I am a customer and I have an opinion. If you are wise you can listen to my opinion (and others on this board) and use the information to better serve your customers. I am not saying that you do not already serve them well. I have no idea. What I am saying is- be more open to other people's opinions and not so quick to judge. Even if you don't agree maybe you can still find something useful in them because afterall- customers are the driving force of your business. That's all.

then I really can't understand WHAT your problem is with me, as I stated I personally don't ask my customers to bring their own adhesive as I DO charge an all inclusive supply fee, which is YOUR opinion as well.

Despite what I do personally, I can also see the advantages of charging less but having everyone bring their own adhesive. One way or the other it will be covered in the fees, whether you bring it yourself or the demo charges accordingly for it. I can do the same camp for $5 cheaper if everyone brought their own adhesive, then I would charge accordingly for all supplies other than adhesive. However, if I am supplying the adhesive, that is represented in the final cost. Every demo charges different fees for her classes/camps. Some charge a minimal fee and have people bring a "kit", others charge an all inclusive fee and that includes EVERYTHING. I really don't know WHAT you think I haven't been listening to, I think I've taken everyone's opinions and suggestions into consideration and decided what works best for me and my customers.

There are advantages and disadvantages on both sides of this. Here it is in a nutshell:

I charge a little more to cover my costs, but everyone needs to be respectful and not overuse. Everyone pays the same fee, so everyone should have the opportunity to use the products provided.

I charge a little less to cover everything BUT adhesive, the customer gets to CHOOSE what adhesive they want, how much they want to use, and they can purchase more if needed.

So you see, there are two very good arguments for either case. The way you are wording it is that you think demos who ask you to bring your own adhesive are somehow trying to take advantage of you. I don't think that is the case. There are many other costs associated with a camp/class than just adhesive, and those supply fees still need to be charged. SU doesn't "give" us anything to do workshops and camps, we buy that out of pocket, just like you do....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 05:23 PM   #169  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Of course I would be miffed- but why is it MY responsiblity to pay for those who abused?? .
THAT is the whole point. This thread is about whether or not we think some customers use too much. When the demo is supplying the adhesive, EVERYONE pays the same amount for the camp, so those who abuse are "taking advantage" not only of the demo, but the other camp attendees as well. (BTW I used to be a mono abuser before I became a demo, now if I go to another event, I use the bare minimum then go home and redo it, but that's just me...)

Now you don't like having to pay for those who abuse, but if you have a demo who supplies everything and charges a flat fee for EVERYONE, then indeed you ARE paying for those who abuse, whether you realize it or not. Now wouldn't you feel better knowing the demo is charging less by having you bring your own so that "abuser cost" isn't transfered to you?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 05:29 PM   #170  
Stazon Splitcoast

Exclamation

Quote:

I think you are VERY mistaken on what I do and don't want to hear. I just think you jumped to some wrong conclusions, and basically started to flame me because I wanted to be properly reimbursed for the supplies I DO let my customers use at my camps. I am SO SORRY you misread my posts, but I think you are the ONLY one who did...

and the only thing I took offense in your original post to me was the fact that you basically said I should eat that cost, no big deal, claim it on my taxes... and implied that I had NO RIGHT to be upset if some of my customers were shorted due to some adhesive overuse. THAT is what I took offense to, since I am obviously already losing money by undercharging for my camps, I will NEVER make that back by claiming it as a loss on my taxes... so you can think what you will, but you misread the post and came to some very erroneous conclusions....
Then don't undercharge in your camps!! If you are losing money it is your own darn fault. I swear. I am too tired for this mess now and it is dumb to argue over it. It's your business and if your are losing money then you are doing something wrong and you need to change it. Period. It's not my fault, don't get mad at me. No, deductions won't put money in your pocket this very minute, but come April 15th if you kept good records you will be glad you did because it will be less money OUT of your pocket. Also, I wanted people to kow that there are a lot of deductions that they wouldn't even know or think about taking. There are some really good books and websites out there for home-based businesses. If you are interested in making money in your business then you should seriously think about researching it. Otherwise you can live in the past and keep complaining about how much adhesive your customes are using. I don't care- it's your business you run it as you choose.

I worked 12 long hours then came home and made dinner and cleaned my house. I come on here to find this mess. Fortunately, my day was made bright by an email from my demo telling me how grateful she is for me hosting a work shop and placing an order and listing all the wonderful specials she was going to personally extend to me (her specials not SU's) for being such a loyal and wonderful customer. After a long, horrible day at work- she made me smile which is why she will get another large order from me next payday.....

I am done with this subject- y'all have fun. I'm going to go do something else!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 05:32 PM   #171  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rather than seeing this continue in a back and forth I am asking you to agree to see things your own way.

Sherry-it seems like you have found a demo who meets your needs and one that has a style and approach to workshops or gatherings you see eye to eye with. YEAH-sounds like you have a great relationship with her.

Tina-sounds like you want to make sure YOUR customers are satisfied and you have come up with a solution that works for you and your customers. That is awesome and I am sure your customers appreciate the hard work you do and understand and agree with your pricing.

Rather than continue this-how about you both say to your screen:
Britta-you are so right. I have found what works for me and I do not need to argue about it with somebody else. WOOHOO-I will go stamp you something because you rock. :mrgreen:
(okay you don't have to stamp me anything-but just be happy that you are each in different situations and have each found what works for you.)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 05:33 PM   #172  
Watercolor Wizard

Britta you are so right.. so right in fact that I deleted my entire response to Sherry once again skipping vital parts of my previous posts and flaming me for her lack of comprehension...

I'm done now....
good night.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 05:35 PM   #173  
SCS Moderator

Okay so we were all 3 posting almost at the same time. Go back and read what I just said and then enjoy your evening (paying close attention the the parts in blue):cool:

As I said BOTH of you have situations that work well for you. Enjoy them

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 05:36 PM   #174  
Watercolor Wizard

and I guess I can NOW go back and vote, since jpmayo's motive for this thread did indeed come about....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 07:26 PM   #175  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

and I guess I can NOW go back and vote, since jpmayo's motive for this thread did indeed come about....
Okay, I'm confused??? Are you implying she meant to cause problems or that she wanted ideas about being an adhesive junkie??? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 07:33 PM   #176  
Watercolor Wizard

honestly until I started buying adhesive, I had no idea how much it cost and no one ever told me I only needed to use a little in each corner to get it to stick. So if I was a demo I would just say nicely 'the cost of adhesive is pretty high so please bring the type you prefer so we can keep the cost of the workshop affordable.' And I appreciate demo's probably don't make much if anything off a workshop but they do reap the rewards of future orders and contacts so that's the payoff even if the workshop itself barely breaks even.

ETA: just my own opinion, I realize your's may vary.

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 07:35 PM   #177  
Watercolor Wizard

eta: I don't want to be involved in this war.

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me

Last edited by jailbirdstamper; 04-27-2006 at 07:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 08:18 PM   #178  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

If I were a customer (I'm just a hobby demo), and, say I had a good friend who was a demo and had big stamp camps, and had a few people that were adhesive abusers.

So pretend she confides in me that she's not making any money at these things, and because of a few people who use WAY too much adhesive, has to either raise her prices, OR ask people to bring their own adhesive.

If people don't want to have to bring their own, then the price goes up for everyone, and now *I* am subsidizing the adhesive abusers. :(

But either way - even having to bring my own - I've taken a loss as a customer because of some abusers. In this case, I'd rather her keep costs down and I'll bring my own!

To the OP: I'm not thrilled with any one adhesive right now. I LOVE the sticky strip but it's pricey but I use it if there is anything at all between the CS, a bit of ribbon, the back of a brad, anything. SNAIL I only use for Cardstock to Cardstock, and I do PRESS down on it - didn't used to have to do that, a few years back.

I tried something that puts squares on from a dispenser, but it's awful hard to get them in the right place. I use mounting squares some but hate to peel them.

So I feel like I'm still searching for the perfect adhesive - easy to use, works well, and is cheap. LOL

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2006, 05:13 AM   #179  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

. There are some really good books and websites out there for home-based businesses. If you are interested in making money in your business then you should seriously think about researching it.
I was very tired last night and I am sorry Fool4Scrappin got under my skin. BUT it isn't a total lack of comprehension as she says. As I have said before and I will say it one LAST time in my opinion as a customer I would be personally offended if I was asked to pay a supply fee AND have to bring any kind of supply. I am not saying as a demo you don't have a right to do it- just that as a customer it would really rub me the wrong way and possibly affect my purchases from you. Hopefully I have clarified what I am trying to say on the subject as I do not plan to say it anymore.

Having said that I said if I could find it I would provide some information on how to save on your taxes. It has been a few years since I have had a home-based business but this course really helped my business come out ahead. There are just so many things that people don't know or even think about writing off (it's legal too) and the government isn't going to advertise it to you. I am posting this link because I think it could help some demos out there make their business profitable. I do not have the course anymore as I do not own a home based business anymore. There is also a really good book out there and I am trying to get the name of it and the author from my brother. I will post it if and when I get it from him- Just trying to help!

http://www.taxwize.com/_templates/cy...meset-vol2.asp
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2006, 05:31 AM   #180  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palapala
Okay, I'm confused??? Are you implying she meant to cause problems or that she wanted ideas about being an adhesive junkie??? Just curious.
Oh, thank you! I did not want to start these 2 arguing!!
I hope they PM'd and made up ;)

I have learned about a TON of different types of adhesives, most of which I will order and probably spend $100 on but it sure will be fun to try them all out! Thanks!!
This truly is an awesome site with more ideas (and opinions) than I ever imagined possible, glad I found it!

I am editing this to add that I am on www.franticstamper.com and I want someone to open a whole store with just adhesives, there are a TON!
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2006, 05:42 AM   #181  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Default Foolforscrapping

I am trying to PM you with this message, but it says you don't accept them. Since this isnt something I am embarassed to post, i'll just do it here...

I just read the little tet-a-tet between you and sherrylc05 and I am sorry about this (a whole lot goes on while I am sleeping).
I wanted to personally apologize about this since from your post about "your vote" made me think that you may think badly of me and that this was my intention.
As you can see from what I posted, I was agreeing with you, not disagreeing with you. I am sorry that you still have a bad taste in your mouth about me.
Hope this will be over now. Thanks!
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2006, 05:54 AM   #182  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I never include adhesive in the price of my camps/events. Everyone is trained to bring their own. That way I can keep the cost down as low as possible and they can use whatever they darn well please. Everyone brings a variety of adhesives and often order SNAILS after they see how awesome and quick they are. I keep a few extra on hand to sell people who forget their own adhesive.
No one has ever complained about it not being included. I suppose if you switched from including it to not inculding it, that might be a problem.
As I said, this is only for events... for workshops I of course bring SNAILS and try to train everyone that it is permanent when applied correctly and you don't need to coat the whole thing.
I probably use more adhesive myself than some would, so I buy cheap internet refills at 2.55 each for my own use and save the SNAILS for demoing. I'm addicted to Sticky Strip and just got Crystal Effects and love that, too. Oh and the glue dots rock!
Point being, whatever works for you and your customers. I'm sure if you explain why you are not including adhesive, but don't make a huge deal out of it, your customers will still think you are an awesome demo with their best interests at heart. There's nothing to argue about, as I see it. Stampin' Up lets you run your business pretty much however you want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2006, 06:06 AM   #183  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Loading up all my B's and headed to the best gathering evah!
Smile my 2 cents

I'm a customer not a demo...so here's my perspective:

When I was in a CTMH club, my demo always told us "bring your own glue and small scissors". She was a nurse and only provided those small medical scissors (which are junk on paper besides the creep factor). If we forgot our glue, she had glue sticks. YUCK. Glue sticks on a scrapbook page? No way.

I always thought it was a shame that she wouldn't provide whatever quality adhesive she would use on her own stuff. And decent full sized scissors. I can't believe after 10 years of demo'ing that she really used glue sticks on her own pages. But I guess I understand the expense.

So I pretty much got used to buying and bringing my own glue to everything. I buy 2-way glue pens by the box. These, for me, are fine for cards unless the layering is heavy. I only use a tape runner in my scrapbooks. I never got used to the snail glue. I think it's my own preference.

I have seen my old cards and pages (from her classes when I forgot glue) fall apart with glue sticks. I have also had some glue dots dry out after a couple years and not be able to hold the ribbon I placed using them. I don't know if that's because they were "mini" or if that's something that happens with them. I usually only use them for bigger embelisments that I would have used a glue gun for in the old days.

I have seen the heavy tape/glue users in classes and always wondered if they had a secret part-time job just to pay for the amount of glue they used. I'm a corners and maybe dot in the middle tape user.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2006, 06:14 AM   #184  
Stazon Splitcoast

zoinks! I didn't even see that there were 4 pages here before i posted. I read to the bottom of page one. Oh my, this is wild.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2006, 06:43 AM   #185  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default I think I'm going to start bringing my own

Hi everyone,

I guess I have to say that I am an "adhesive lover". I just hate using the 4 corners technique because then there is a little bit of a gap between layers and that drives me absolutely batty!!!!! Maybe I'm just AR but as someone upthread said (way upthread), I like my layers to lay completely flat. I just can not STAND it if they aren't. So........this thread has really enlightened me. I don't go to very many stamp camps or anything but I hate the thought that I was seen as an "abuser" at the ones I've gone to. My demo is a sweetheart and has never said anything about it, but I think I'm going to start bringing my own adhesive even though no one has asked me too. I think after reading this thread, that that is the best thing to do.

I just didn't realize that there were so many hidden resentments regarding the use of adhesive. Now I am more aware - thanks jpmayo.

Christine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2006, 07:21 AM   #186  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunshine
OK, this totally cracks me up! Another poster mentioned that her sister(?, a demo, I believe) also received a naked card and thought it was supposed to be like that! I am dying just thinking of the naked card sitting on the mantle with all of the nice Christmas cards! Makes me wonder how many of my relatives (all non-stampers) may have received a fallen-apart one from me and never mentioned it to me! Maybe I will be a little more heavy-handed w/ the mono from now on... :-)

I've had this happen many years ago. My sister mentioned it once--that's when I quit using glue sticks. Sooooo embarassing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2006, 07:34 AM   #187  
Glitter Queen

I think this is basically a good thread... look what we found out about each other? Maybe some of the wording wasn't "just right". But I think MOST of the conversation was postive and helpful.

Demos have heard customers say they want adhesive included

Customers have heard that glue costs money and sometimes that may increase the price of a workshop

I hope demos have heard that customers don't want to be "told" how to glue or that they are using "too much"

I hope customers who like to use alot and still want to, will offer to bring their own or buy some on their next order
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2006, 07:38 AM   #188  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by BsmtScrapper
I have seen the heavy tape/glue users in classes and always wondered if they had a secret part-time job just to pay for the amount of glue they used. I'm a corners and maybe dot in the middle tape user.

LMAO...funny!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2006, 07:40 AM   #189  
Mad Swapper

Smile Please don't feel that way! We LOVE our customers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocketgirl96
I don't go to very many stamp camps or anything but I hate the thought that I was seen as an "abuser" at the ones I've gone to. My demo is a sweetheart and has never said anything about it, but I think I'm going to start bringing my own adhesive even though no one has asked me too. I think after reading this thread, that that is the best thing to do.

I just didn't realize that there were so many hidden resentments regarding the use of adhesive. Now I am more aware - thanks jpmayo.

Christine
Hi Christine, I can't imagine that your demo sees you as an "abuser." I don't view any of my customers that way, no matter how much adhesive they use! I want my customer's cards to stay together. I'd hate to have my customers feel they need to fix the card when they get home, or bring their own adhesive to a hostess workshop, because I'm not offering enough or the right kind. I don't think that's what any demo wants. I would expect you to use what you need to make sure the card is well-adhered. I think that any demo would prefer that to having a customer feel they are resented!

I know that I include a tip in my demonstration about how much adhesive to use not because of abuse, but because it's a legitimate question many stampers, particularly new stampers, have. I try to include tips on how to use all sorts of glues (and other tools) because I think it's fun to share "tricks of the trade" and my customers seem to enjoy learning a time-saving or money-saving tip. I know I do!

Like many of the other demo's who posted, the only time I would ever expect a customer to bring their own adhesive is when it's a class (not a hosted workshop) that I've advertised with a tool kit they need to bring. I call it a Basic Tool Kit and describe it as including their favorite adhesive, scissors and a paper trimmer.

My SCS gallery: https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...00&ppuser=8965
My Webshots gallery: http://client.webshots.com/user/tbenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2006, 08:02 AM   #190  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanneb
Hi Christine, I can't imagine that your demo sees you as an "abuser."
Oh, I didn't mean that my demo thinks I'm an abuser. She's a sweetheart and friend and wouldn't think that. I was mainly commenting on the number of customers (not demos) who have expressed that when they've been to stamping events, they notice how much adhesive another customer is using. I am just too busy being creative to notice how much adhesive everyone is using I guess.

I guess I was just saying that it seems safer to bring my own adhesive from now on so that nobody (even other customers) cares how much I use. That is all. I guess this thread just really opened my eyes with regard to how much supplies really end up costing demos. I'm so appreciative of my demo and the time she spends thinking up new projects to share with us.

Thanks for your kind words and for making me feel better about everything.

Christine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2006, 09:43 AM   #191  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

I will bring my own, or put an extra on my order from time to time, for my demo. It is really good to know both ends of this. This is something you would not always think of, and take for granted if the demo does not mention.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2006, 10:07 AM   #192  
Die Cut Diva

when I think about what an abuser is, I think of a club member I had who covered the whole piece of cardstock with mono. I mentioned that she could cut back, make sure to burnish it, all of that, and it continued, so I said nothing, just ordered more mono. I was going through a roll each club night. ($7 canadian)

Then she became a demo.....she apologized to me after her first few classes. We laughed it off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2006, 10:16 AM   #193  
Quacker Stamper

Received 1,095 Likes on 871 Posts

I think you should use as much adhesive as you need so that the card stays together. I made some with snail, and the top layer came loose. I really like using Scotch double-sided or I use the Red tacky tape. They stick. Oh, and I always take my own adhesive when I go to stamp camp or a make n take.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2006, 10:27 PM   #194  
Insane Embellisher

I just caught on to this thread and would like to put in my two cents. I have attend scrapbook convention in Las Vegas, Chicago, Tennessee, Indianapolis, and Michigan. Class fees ranged from $12 to $40 dollars. All the classes I took at these conventions REQUIRED you to bring your own adhesive and basic kit(paper trimmer,black marker, etc). There was no adhesive for those that forgot. You had to hope your neighbor would be nice enough to let you use theirs. ( some refused. Why?...expensive...) Adhesive is a sunk cost of the paper crafting world and those that participate. I don't believe it should be all the demo responsibility at stamp camps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2006, 03:38 AM   #195  
Mad Swapper

I think this is a very interesting topic. I think it's good to view this from both sides. I think when I first started I might have been an abuser, simply out of not knowing any better. Now that I've been making my own cards, I know how much is necessary to get good adhesion.

Maybe some really clever person could come up with a cute poem about adhesive addicts and it could be placed at each work table, it would be a great way to share the idea of not using too much adhesive and not be offensive to anyone since it's just a poem, yet it's still getting the message across.

I think it would be a great idea if you know you have new stampers at your show/camp that you actually teach them how much is the correct amount, if you don't already do so. I never had anyone tell me anything about it. I just kind of went along and tried to keep up. That might curb the abuser from the beginning. Sadly, I am sure no matter what you do there will always be abusers.

I am glad that she brought this topic up even if it caused some discomfort. It is a good way to remind us customers to be thoughtful of our demos who are most of the time our good friends as well.

Just my humble 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2006, 04:34 AM   #196  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much adhesive is enough? The age old stamper's question. I still have some cards sitting around from when I was a newbie stamper (about 10 years ago). I just tested them and they are firmly stuck together. What did I use? Glue sticks. I read posts that say glue stick stuck pieces don't stay together. Am I blessed by the stamping gods? All I know is that I apply a thick coat of glue to the entire back of the piece I'm sticking and make sure to press it down for awhile for the best bond. My mono and taped cards are still together, too. Who knows???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2006, 04:37 AM   #197  
Glitter Queen

Default Thank you SherryLC05

I agree with SherryLC05, at first I quoted one of her posts, then I removed it because it's not just one post. She said alot of good things in many posts.

This response is not directed at any one person. I'm thinking as a customer who wants demos to see my perspective:

She's not the ONLY one who thought these same things. She's just seems to be the only customer who's willing to post about it. I'm glad she did. I pretty much feel the same way. She did good job of getting the point across.

What I think she's trying to tell you is-- and listen for a minute instead of debating or making your points-- WE are CUSTOMERS and we are sharing our CUSTOMER PERSPECTIVE. This is free information that can't be bought. Some of your customers might already be feeling/thinking. They just might not be able to say it directly to you.

We don't want you to lose money--but we also want VALUE for our purchase. If you ask $5, $10 or $20 and ask me to bring my own adhesive, I might wonder why. Not that I don't mind, I have my favorites anyway. So tell me in the kindest way that the money I'm spending covers certain costs. Detail the value of those, and to tell me that to keep them as low as possible I have been asked to bring my own preferred adhesive. If I forgot, you have some available for purchase. Don't tell me that because of your added costs due to abuse, my price goes up when I'm not an abuser. And please don't tell me that the cost also covers prizes, cuz if I don't win, I won't be happy about that either. As customers here on the forum, we are trying to say, this will bother some of us.

In general customers do certain things to tell you if you are doing a good job:

They order from you
They come back
They order BIGGER the second time around
They ask your advice
They show enthusiasm
They call or email you
They ask you to come back and show more
They want to become your friend
They confide in you
They trust you
AND--THEY TELL OTHER PEOPLE WHAT THEY THINK OF YOU

When they aren't satisfied sometimes:

They walk out quietly w/o ordering therefore not becoming "your" customer
They might place a tiny order so that they don't feel guilty towards you or the hostess who is their friend
They won't order again
They don't ask your advice
They don't call you back or respond to flyers / email
They might whisper in the corner at workshop, detailing their disatisfaction or whatever
They don't pay attention because you havent' captured them yet
They used to be good customers and now they've drifted away
They think they are just a number to you
They think you just want to make money
They don't confide in you
They no longer trust you
AND-- THEY TELL OTHER PEOPLE WHAT THEY THINK OF YOU

I think some customers are afraid to share what they think. Maybe some of them have been reading this. And just didn't want to get into a debate. I've read all 5 pages. I used to just look at the gallery and read along. I've read alot of threads that made me wonder what people were thinking. This one made me want to say something.

I hope you can take my comments for what they are, comments. No personal attacks. Suggestions to make your business work better for you. These are just some of the things customers want and expect and maybe don't know how to ask for.

Last edited by KraftPhreak; 04-29-2006 at 04:42 AM.. Reason: spelling and clarification
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2006, 04:52 AM   #198  
SCS Moderator

Hi KraftPhreak. I think a lot of ideas have been well shared here. Here is my opinion (as a demo)

I figure out the cost for each project for my cams and do not include adhesive. If I included the cost of adhesive in my prices and gave everyone (for example) a roll or a refill, the cost would go up roughtly $5-$8 percamp because I would have to include the SNAIL product as an SU demo. Rather than do that, I offer them the price both with and without the adhesive. So I give them the base price, and then say if you would like to buy a refill or a SNAIL it will be this much. It is of course theirs to keep, and then they can decide how much or how little to use with absolutely no comments from me.

Some of my customers are CM consultants or users and some like the tabs CM has. Others use mono that they get from Office Depot or the Scotch brand tape that they find at BJs. By keeping the cost low and giving them flexibility as to how they want to adhere the products, I am considering the feelings of my stampers.
Oh-and I would never tell anyone to not use something I had out-that would be rude (IMO). ;)

What is important is that everyone finds the right fit for them-and that may not mean the same thing to everyone.;) I think to say "Customers want_____________ to happen" is akin to saying "At a restaurant everyone wants _________________" Some of those things I think are a given, Being helpful, respectful, creative, and overall customer service are things everyone wants. But just b/c 1 particular demo does things differently, does not mean that he/she is not doing the right thing, but that they are doing what is right for them and what they have found works for their business. :mrgreen:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2006, 05:37 AM   #199  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkisInOkinawa
Maybe some really clever person could come up with a cute poem about adhesive addicts and it could be placed at each work table, it would be a great way to share the idea of not using too much adhesive and not be offensive to anyone since it's just a poem, yet it's still getting the message across.
I think this is a great idea! At the candle store we have little signs posted around the displays that say, "Candles don't itch, so please don't scratch". Gets a little chuckle out of just about everyone who sees it, and helps to curb the problem of customers picking at the candles with their fingernails (especially the ones that look like wine bottles) and asking, "Is this really wax?" Thankfully in my nearly two years of working there I've only had to admonish a small handful of (adult) customers to please stop picking at the candles! Honestly, I'd say that at least 75% of scratched, broken, and otherwise ruined candles are the fault of folks old enough to know better! :rolleyes:

When we had dozens of people a day touching and damaging the gel wax on the dessert candles (the gel often came off on their fingers), a coworker and I came up with a little sign that said, "You know, we don't like being poked by strangers, either!" :p

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes