Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-01-2007, 04:46 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defining Alphabet: question

I just ordered and received the defining alphabet set. I ordered it because I love the size of the letters. I didn't realize that they should be mounted with the uppercase and lowercase letters together. I'd like to use the uppercase and lowercase letters separately. Any suggestions?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2007, 05:23 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

could you put the upper on one side of the block and the lower on the other?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2007, 05:26 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It says *double mounted* meaning the upper case on one side the lower case on the other.

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2007, 08:24 AM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

The set works like this: Aa on one side of the wood. Bb on the other. So, I am thinking I will cut apart the A's and put them on the same side of the same block, but with some space in between.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 10:52 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

This is my exact issue. They are rather too close to cut them apart, and if you look at the size of blocks that they come with, they are definitely meant to mount together.

I too like the size, but this is just not going to work for me. I'll be returning mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 11:15 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

There are 28 images, and 14 blocks. For sets that have individual letters to mount, that's no problem to double mount them. However, in this set, each image has two letters (cap and lower) *VERY* close together. I just got off the phone with DS and they indicate "that it's meant to be double mounted with one letter on each side" but I explained that because there are two letters as one image, there would end up with 52 images for the alphabet alone, if I do that and still only 14 blocks and then even she was stumped....and referred back to the description of double mounting.

I've separated many a set, even the really close ones (image and sentiment) and this one has me stumped and uncomfortable. I suppose it can be done, I just don't want to mess with it incase it gets ruined then I'm out huge dollars for this set. It's too bad because it's a really great size to work with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 12:36 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

If you really wanted each letter separate, you could always cut them apart, put each of the capitals on the wide parts of the block (top and bottom), then the lower case letters on the right and left sides of the blocks. So, all 4 flat sides of each of the 14 blocks would have one letter on it and you would still hold it on the 2 curved sides.
member #1507 gallery
witticisms... a witty blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 12:41 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

I had the same question. I really like the style and size of the letters but would like them separated. I thought from the description in the catty that it was meant to be mounted with upper and lower together on one side and another upper and lower together on the other side of the block.

Subscribing to see if anyone has successfully separated them before I buy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 01:26 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

see, and I LOVE the set the way it's meant to be mounted...with the upper and lower case letters together. Kind of goes along with the dictionary theme to match its companion set. If you look at the picture in the catalog, it does show them mounted that way doesn't it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 01:28 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

If you can't separate them, could you just use a marker to color the one letter that you want? I like this set too, I haven't bought it yet but I don't think I'm brave enough to try to separate the upper and lower case.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 06:04 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
see, and I LOVE the set the way it's meant to be mounted...with the upper and lower case letters together. Kind of goes along with the dictionary theme to match its companion set. If you look at the picture in the catalog, it does show them mounted that way doesn't it?
Unfortunately I don't see any picture of how it's mounted. They only show a stamped sample on page 159. Are you referring to another photo I may have missed? Also I'm not understanding the dictionary theme thing...I see the Define your life set but can't understand how they relate. I could be missing the whole thing.

Anyone?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 07:34 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I also bought this set with the Define Your Life set, and LOVE it!!! I think it'll be super cute for scrapping. I also like the idea of Versamark stamping the letters and then regular stamping the matching Define Your Life definition over it.

The DYL font is the same as the alpha. The DYF set is a dictionary definition. The header of the top of a dictionary page would have the letters like the alpha at the top so that you know which letter section you are in. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 08:36 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

I'm definitely missing how the two sets tie together, too -- I can see using one of the letters from the Defining Alpha as a 'leader' for one of the definitions, but that's about it. I like the Defining Alpha on its own, and if I get it will definitely cut them apart. I'm sure I'll be able to get an X-acto blade between the letters without chopping anything vital off of either one -- and since I'll be using it sans cushion and wood blocks, mounting it won't be an issue for me. I realize that probably doesn't help a lot of you with your questions, but an upper *and* a lower case alphabet for $42 isn't too bad in my book! I'd never, ever use it as it's intended to be used -- I think the whole premise is kind of dumb, and absurdly limiting as to its uses. Seriously, how many primary school-themed cards or scrapbook pages is anyone likely to make??

*hijack warning*: I have similar issues with the Short Order Numbers set. I have & love the alpha, was excited to see the numbers and the 'nd', 'rd', etc. -- but am wondering why they felt compelled to add the other 8 word blocks to the set. As a card-builder, I'm not terribly likely to make one that says "it's my 57th birthday", now am I?? Just another SU mystery to leave me shaking my head, I guess.... :mrgreen:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamuelamomView Post
Also I'm not understanding the dictionary theme thing...I see the Define your life set but can't understand how they relate. I could be missing the whole thing.

Anyone?

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 08:43 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Another demonstrator I know ordered this set and was disappointed about the stamps being so close as well. But it would be pretty simple to mask the set. If you don't mind masking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2007, 10:51 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamuelamomView Post
Unfortunately I don't see any picture of how it's mounted. They only show a stamped sample on page 159. Are you referring to another photo I may have missed? Also I'm not understanding the dictionary theme thing...I see the Define your life set but can't understand how they relate. I could be missing the whole thing.

Anyone?
The sample on page 174 shows a cute scrapbook page with the defining alpha set and define your life. This is a great example of how to use them together. I love both of these sets, but because of the prices, they are pretty far down my wishlist. I don't have a current alpha set at all, and after reading this thread, I don't think Defining will be my first choice!

I can see this being a difficult set to use just for cards, and being a pain to always marker and mask. However, if you use it like the sample mentioned above, it really is cute!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 08:14 AM   #16  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, since it is meant to be used mounted together, it seems like you need to rder a different alpha set. I think it is new and different. Aa looks great to me.I love the sample on page 174.
Su
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 08:20 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Sound to me like it's time for you ladies to get a few acrylic blocks and some EZ mount foam!
He set His STAMP of ownership on us, and put His spirit in our hearts as a deposit 2 Cor 1:22 Jan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 08:25 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

I've also held off on this one since the letters sit together -- it's one that I'll eventually get but other things seem to creep to the top of my list!

One question though -- Is the size a bit bigger than Typeset? I really like typeset but I sometimes find that it's a bit too small when scrapbooking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 04:26 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jl_ladybug10View Post
I've also held off on this one since the letters sit together -- it's one that I'll eventually get but other things seem to creep to the top of my list!

One question though -- Is the size a bit bigger than Typeset? I really like typeset but I sometimes find that it's a bit too small when scrapbooking.
Yes, it is bigger and quite a nice size which is why I got it in the first place, having no idea how it is supposed to be mounted. I assumed it would be upper and lower separate like all the other sets. I was wrong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 08:28 PM   #20  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I've gotten this set and I got my hubby to cut the blocks in half all except two blocks : a block for R/S and the "a little note for you" that's mounted with the notebook lines. They are tight but you can cut them safely apart with your Craft & Rubber scissors. I believe I used a hobby knife for one of the letters (T?). I double checked that they fit first. The "Jj" needs to be mounted on an angle, but the rest work perfect on a half block!

Hope this helps!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2007, 07:22 AM   #21  

finally took pics!
Attached Thumbnails
Defining Alphabet: question-defining-alpha-01.jpg   Defining Alphabet: question-defining-alpha-02.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2007, 07:47 AM   #22  
Mad Swapper

Thanks for posting those pictures Renee! I've been toying with the idea of getting this set because I just love the size. Now that I know they can be cut safely apart, I think I'll bump it up on my wish list a bit. I UM so the wood wouldn't be an issue for me.

If I do buy this set, I'll for sure mail the wood to one of you who prefer to have one letter per block!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2007, 07:41 AM   #23  
Mad Swapper

Beautiful job, Renee -- thanks for sharing the photos! :mrgreen:

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2007, 02:09 PM   #24  

no problem!
Reply With Quote Likes